[FM24-Derby County] Why manage the Rams? | How are you getting on?

Stuniverse

[FM24-Derby County] Why manage the Rams? | How are you getting on?

Important Information

Please note that this thread is for discussing Derby County saves on FM24 only – share your experience as Derby County manager, your tactics, your signings, players you’ve offloaded, generally share your experience managing Derby County, how you are getting on, ask questions, etc.

If you spot a Derby County data error, please report it on English League 1 [Discussion].

If you want to report a bug in FM24, please use the Football Manager 2024 Early Access Bugs Tracker and post in the most appropriate thread.

--

Edited by Stuniverse

Why manage Derby County (the Rams)?

Formed in 1884, Derby County are a founder member of the Football League who have twice won the Division One Title (now Premier League) in the 1971/72 and 1974/75 seasons (runners-up in 1895/96, 1929/30 and 1935/36) and lifted the FA Cup in 1946 (runners-up 1898, 1899, 1903). The Rams also reached the semi-finals of the European Cup in 1973.

In FM24, Derby County find themselves in the third tier of English football (League One) for the 2023/24 season after relegation from the Championship at the end of the 2021/22 campaign, a turbulent season which saw the club docked 21 points and the Rams were in Administration for the majority of the season.

How close did Derby County come to actually going bust? We'll never really know but, at times, it felt very, very close indeed.

Fortunately, David Clowes bought the club on the 1st July 2022 and Derby County went on to finish 7th in League One last season (2022/23), missing out on the playoffs by one point.

--

Youth Academy

Derby County have had a strong U21 / U18 set-up over recent seasons and the Rams U18s were crowned U18 Premier League National Champions in May 2019, going on to represent England in the UEFA Youth League in the 2019/20 season.

Match Report - Derby County U18 v Arsenal U18

From that U18 squad, Eiran Cashin, Jason Knight, Louie Sibley, Max Bird and Liam Thompson have all gone on to establish themselves in Derby County's first team squad.

Unfortunately though, Administration took its toll on the Academy and many of the Rams wonderkids have been sold in recent seasons - Archie Brown (Lausanne), Dubem Eze (Norwich City), Dylan Williams (Chelsea), Festy Ebosele (Udinese), Jayden Bogle (Sheffield United), James Scanlon (Manchester United), Jordan Brown (Leyton Orient), Kaide Gordon (Liverpool), Kain Ryan (Brighton & Hove Albion), Lee Buchanan (Werder Bremen), Liam Delap (Manchester City), Luke Plange (Crystal Palace),  Louie Watson (Luton Town), Malachi Sharpe (Manchester United), Malcolm Ebiowei (Crystal Palace), Mason Bennett (Millwall), Max Lowe (Sheffield United), Morgan Whittaker (Swansea City), Omari Kellyman (Aston Villa), Sekou Kaba (Manchester United).

Over the years, quite a lot of Derby County Academy Graduates have gone on to be professional footballers with Derby County and / or other football clubs.

Derby County Academy Hall of Fame

In the summer of 2023, Derby County restructured their Academy Backroom staff, with long-standing Head of Youth Development, Darren Wassall, leaving to join the EFL as Head of Youth Development.

Academy_Staff.png.cff7e48c3c6a749173c64d03ff552926.png

Academy Confirms New Coaching Staff Structure

--

Football Manager 24

And now it's over to you, if you're up for the challenge, to manage Derby County on FM24 and see if you can build on a season of stabilisation in League One... and lead the Rams back into the Championship and... then... back to the Premier League.

Expectations from the Derby County Board and Rams supporters will be high.

Good luck.

--

Edited by Stuniverse

Notes

Injuries

Jake Rooney's ACL injury and Elliot Embleton's thigh injury happened after the injury cut-off date for Football Manager 24 and are not included in-game.

Consequently, Embleton is still on loan from Sunderland in FM24, although you can change that using the Pre-Game Editor should you want to.

--

Short-Term Loans

The following loans will not appear in FM24 as they are short-term loans between transfer windows:

• Harry Evans - Coalville Town 04/08/2023 (initial one month loan)
  • George Nunn - Mickleover 03/08/2023  (initially one month loan, extended 31/08/2023 for another month)
  • Josh Shattell - *Forest Green Rovers 14/09/2023 (youth loan)
  • Owen Oseni - Nuneaton Borough 21/09/2023 (initial one month loan)
  • George Nunn - *Braintree 22/09/2023  (initial one month loan)
  • Harry Evans - Barwell 14/10/2023 (initial one month loan)
  • George Nunn - *Hampton & Richmond Borough 03/11/2023 - 31/12/2023
  • Jack Bates - Hastings United 14/11/2023  (initial one month loan)

[Teams marked with an * are playable in the default vanilla version of Football Manager 2024].

You can include them in your own save should you want by adding the loans using the Pre-Game Editor.

--

Squad numbers

Following the EFL Trophy game against Wolverhampton Wanderers U21s on Wednesday 08/11/2023, there are some Derby County squad numbers not set in FM24.

• 41 - Daniel Cox
  • 42 - Bayo (Adebayo) Fapetu
  • 43 - Tony Weston
  • 44 - Harry Hawkins
  • 45 - Lennon Wheeldon
  • 46 - Adisa Osayande.

These will be added in a future update.

In the meantime, you can set them in your saves by using the FM24 Pre-Game Editor, or add them in-save by assigning them if you're managing Derby County or by using the In-Game Editor if you have it.

Edited by Stuniverse

Original Mode

Original.png.ba4407071905e90104574c72e3b3d8f0.png

If you choose Original Mode. your first-team squad (assigned squad numbers, includes some U21 / U18 players) will be:

Goalkeepers
 1 Joe Wildsmith
13 Scott Loach
31 Josh Vickers (new signing)

Defenders:
 2 Kane Wilson (new signing)
 3 Craig Forsyth
 5 Sonny Bradley (new signing)
 6 Eiran Cashin
20 Callum Elder (new signing)
23 Joe Ward  (new signing)
24 Ryan Nyambe (new signing)
34 Jake Rooney
35 Curtis Nelson (new signing)
40 Max Bardell

Midfielders:
 4 Conor Hourihane [captain]
 8 Max Bird
12 Korey Smith
16 Liam Thompson
17 Louie Sibley
18 Elliot Embleton (new signing - on loan from Sunderland)
22 Tyrese Fornah (new signing)
26 Darren Robinson
36 Ben Radcliffe (new signing)
38 Cruz Allen

Forwards:
 7 Tom Barkhuizen
 9 James Collins
10 Martyn Waghorn (new signing)
11 Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
14 Conor Washington (new signing)
19 Tyreece John-Jules (new signing - on loan from Arsenal)
37 Jaydan Davidson
39 Dajaune Brown

--

Real World Mode

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to leave room to register the new first-team player signings, particularly Ryan Nyambe who joins after the summer transfer window closes. ***

RealWorld.png.298f007843129d4ff3fd04d833bbf2b8.png

If you choose Real World Mode. your first-team squad (assigned squad numbers, includes some U21 / U18 players) will be:

Goalkeepers
 1 Joe Wildsmith
13 Scott Loach

Defenders:
 3 Craig Forsyth
 6 Eiran Cashin
34 Jake Rooney
40 Max Bardell
   Kwaku Oduroh (will joan Rochdale on loan on 06/07/2023, was squad number 30).

Midfielders:
 8 Max Bird
12 Korey Smith
16 Liam Thompson
17 Louie Sibley
26 Darren Robinson
38 Cruz Allen
   Jason Knight (will join Bristol City on 11/07/2023, was squad number 38)

Forwards:
 7 Tom Barkhuizen
 9 James Collins
37 Jaydan Davidson
39 Dajaune Brown

--

The following players will sign for Derby County as your save progresses:

07/07/2023 -  5 Sonny Bradley
07/07/2023 - 14 Conor Washington
10/07/2023 -  2 Kane Wilson
01/08/2023 -    Charlie Lindsay
01/08/2023 -    Lewis Ridd
01/08/2023 -    Tony Weston
07/08/2023 - 10 Martyn Waghorn
25/08/2023 - 22 Tyrese Fornah
25/08/2023 - 19 Tyreece John-Jules (on loan from Arsenal)
01/09/2023 - 18 Elliot Embleton (on loan from Sunderland)
01/09/2023 -    Alex Gibson-Hammond
01/09/2023 -    Henry Jeffcott (on loan from Arsenal)
19/09/2023 - 24 Ryan Nyambe

--

Your World Mode

YourWorld.png.db1de1732cb49fc3c2d66fdf60138949.png

If you choose Your World Mode. your first-team squad (assigned squad numbers, includes some U21 / U18 players) will be:

Goalkeepers
 1 Joe Wildsmith
13 Scott Loach

Defenders:
 3 Craig Forsyth
 6 Eiran Cashin
30 Kwaku Oduroh
34 Jake Rooney
40 Max Bardell

Midfielders:
 8 Max Bird
12 Korey Smith
16 Liam Thompson
17 Louie Sibley
26 Darren Robinson
38 Cruz Allen
   Jason Knight (was squad number 38)

Forwards:
 7 Tom Barkhuizen
 9 James Collins
37 Jaydan Davidson
39 Dajaune Brown

--

Football Manager 2024 Early Access

You can now manage Derby County on Football Manager 2024 Early Access.

Please note:

If you want to play a long-term save as manager of Derby County on FM24, I strongly advise you to wait until the full release of FM24 on Monday 6th November 2023.

[ii] If you want to keep things as realistic as possible, for as long as possible, by having the FM24 footballing world mirror the real-life start of the 2023/24 season, managing Derby County with the squad Paul Warne assembled in real-life up to the January transfer window, then I recommend you use Real World Mode (or Original Mode) and Disable the first transfer window when setting up your save.

--

FM24 Full Release version (scheduled for Monday 6th November 2023)

The full version of FM24 is scheduled for release on Monday 6th November 2023.

--

Please note:

If you want to play a long-term save as manager of Derby County on FM24, I strongly advise you to wait until the full release of FM24 on Monday 6th November 2023.

[ii] If you want to keep things as realistic as possible, for as long as possible, by having the FM24 footballing world mirror the real-life start of the 2023/24 season, managing Derby County with the squad Paul Warne assembled in real-life up to the January transfer window, then I recommend you use Real World Mode (or Original Mode) and Disable the first transfer window when setting up your save.

--

Back for another FM with my beloved Rams...

Before I did anything I ran through 3 seasons unemployed to see if the media prediction of 1st place was accurate, so I loaded up the game went on holidays and checked back at the end of the season.  Two first places and a second, so automatics each time.  If only real life was that easy...

So, onto my game.  I decided to play original mode with the first transfer window open, according to my first 3 playthroughs using the current squad should be more than enough but I enjoy wheeling and dealing and anyway someone once said ‘I want to win the league but I want to win it better' so thats what I intend to do.  Or at least try...

First things first, overhauling the staff.  Three scouts agree to mutual termination as do a number of other backroom staff (I'm keeping Paul Warne's coaching staff this season as money is tight).  Scouring the market I find far better replacements and get them all in.

On to trimming the squad.  Geez its tough, its full of older pros on hefty wages or newer players that have only just joined, there is minimal wiggle room to move players on.  I checked the transfer budget and that sits at a disappointing £0.  Its time to get creative...

First off I check what clauses I can sell, 4 in total including 2 that total £1m - yay a budget!  Then I send my staff off scouting under 21s that won't count towards the squad limit of 22. 

By the time the transfer window shuts we've signed;

Spoiler

Harry Leonard (19) - Advanced Striker on loan from Blackburn
Shola Shoretire (19) - Shadow Striker on loan from Man Utd
Antonio Nusa (18) - Inside Winger on loan from Club Brugge
Stefan Bajcetic (18) - Defensive Midfielder on loan from Liverpool
*Tyreece John Jules (22) - Advanced Forward on loan from Arsenal
*Eliot Embleton (24) - Midfielder on loan from Sunderland

*both already at club at start of game.  I cancelled Embleton's loan as he's always injured, the DM I signed was a better fit for my team anyway and £7.5k a week cheaper wages!

Further to those loans I also signed;

Spoiler

Nemanja Jovic (21) - Inside Forward Free
Lennart Moser (23) - Goalkeeper Free
Warren O'Hora (24) - Central Defender £245k from MK Dons
Marcus McGuane (24) - Defensive Midfielder £205k from Oxford Utd
Andy Rinomhota (26) - Defensive Midfield £45k from Cardiff

All of the above (loans, frees and fees) were bought in early.  O'Hora and McGuane came in a week before deadline day and Rinomhota and Bajcetic both came in during the final 6 hrs of deadline day.

To trim the squad down a bit the following were let go during a frantic Deadline Day (after spending an awful lot of time trying to find new clubs for a number of players throughout the first 2 months of the season);

Spoiler

£0 Nat Mendez-Laing to Portsmouth 
£0 James Collins to MK Dons
loan Liam Thompson Stockport (80% wages)
loan Tyrese Fornah Stockport (60% wages)

*a number of u21s and George Nunn were also loaned out.

At the end of the transfer window, I'd built an impressive squad had £500k left in the transfer kitty and a (on budget) wage bill of £213k.

As for results I am writing this at the end of the transfer window and we've won the first 7 games of the season, winning 3-1, 4-1, 5-0 and 5-1 along the way.  The only downside being the loss of Joe Wildsmith for 6 weeks in the first game of the season and Joe Vickers for 2 months in the second game of the season!  Lennart Moser is now my No.1 for several more weeks with Scott Loach sitting on the bench... 

Squad for the season;

Spoiler

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Moser
DL: Forsyth, Elder
DC: Cashin, Bradley
DC: O'Hora, Nelson
DR: Nyambe, Wilson
DM: Bird, McGuane
DM: Bajcetic, Rinomhota
AML: Jovic, Waghorn 
SS: Shoretide, Sibley
AMR: Nusa, Ward
S: Leonard, John-Jules

Also Rooney in rotation (DC/DM), Barkhuisen/Hourihane/Washington occasionally warming the bench.

Edited by maxjam
added spoilers

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

Back for another FM with my beloved Rams...

Thank you for sharing, @maxjam.

Before I did anything I ran through 3 seasons unemployed to see if the media prediction of 1st place was accurate, so I loaded up the game went on holidays and checked back at the end of the season.  Two first places and a second, so automatics each time.  If only real life was that easy...

That’s good to hear… as you say, if only real life was that easy 🤣

On to trimming the squad...  Geez its tough, its full of older pros on hefty wages or newer players that have only just joined, there is minimal wiggle room to move players on.  I checked the transfer budget and that sits at a disappointing £0.  Its time to get creative.

First off I check what clauses I can sell

Further to those loans I also signed

Yes. Both David Clowes and Paul Warne have stayed that, whilst EFL restrictions have been lifted, they haven’t spent a penny on transfer fees this summer.

That said though, that’s a lot of transfer business you’ve been able to do after selling those transfer clauses. Well done.

Then I send my staff off scouting under 21s that won't count towards the squad limit of 22.

That’s a very good point. I think, at the start of your save, if you register either George Nunn (overage U21 player in real-life) and / or Bradley Johnson (U21 Coach / Player) then you are at the 22 player limit.

To trim the squad down a bit the following were let go

And, of course, a need to balance the books and keep your squad size manageable.

As for results I am writing this at the end of the transfer window and we've won the first 7 games of the season, winning 3-1, 4-1, 5-0 and 5-1 along the way. The only downside being the loss of Joe Wildsmith for 6 weeks in the first game of the season and Joe Vickers for 2 months in the second game of the season!  Lennart Moser is now my No.1 for several more weeks with Scott Loach sitting on the bench..

That’s a brilliant start to the season, maxjam.

Good luck for the rest of the season 🤞🍀 🐏

Keep us posted.

Known Players signed by Derby County in FM24

Please let us know which players you’ve signed for Derby County either by posting in this thread as @maxjam has done above, or feel free to send me a Direct  Message on here. Thank you.

I’ll then update this post.

--

Players Derby County signed in real-life

These are the players Derby County signed in real-life during the summer 2023 transfer window and free agents who signed afterwards:

• Joe Ward 01/07/2023
  • Josh Vickers 01/07/2023
  • Callum Elder 01/07/2023
  • Curtis Nelson 01/07/2023
  • Ben Radcliffe 01/07/2023
  • Ryan Bartley 01/07/2023
  • Sonny Bradley 07/07/2023
  • Conor Washington 07/07/2023
  • Kane Wilson 10/07/2023
  • Bradley Johnson 18/07/2023
  • Charlie Lindsay 01/08/2023
  • Lewis Ridd 01/08/2023
  • Tony Weston 01/08/2023
  • Martyn Waghorn 07/08/2023
  • Tyrese Fornah 25/08/2023
  • Tyreece John-Jules 25.08/2023 - 31/12/2023 loan from Arsenal
  • Elliot Embleton 01/09/2023 - 06/06/2024 loan from Sunderland
  • Henry Jeffcott 01/09/2023 - 06/06/2024 loan from Arsenal)
  • Ryan Nyambe 19/09/2023
  • Alex Gibson-Hammond 01/09/2023

Note: If you choose Your World Mode, players who are not in the Derby County squad at the start of your save may not sign for the Rams.

--

Players Derby County took on trial

• Eliot Jenks
  • Kian Ryley
  • Lorenzo Saponara
  • Rashawn Scott
  • Tobi Irefin

--

Players Derby County were linked with who didn't move clubs

• Andy Yiadom (Reading) - D/WBR / DLC, WBL
  • Cameron Humphreys (Rotherham United) - DC
  • Darnell Fisher (free agent) - DR / WBR
  • Michael Ihiekwe (Sheffield Wednesday) - DC
  • Bobby Clark (Liverpool) - MC, AMLC
  • Cameron Brannagan (Oxford United) - DM, MC / AMC
  • Jordan Davies (Wrexham) - MC / DM, ML
  • Will Vaulks (Sheffield Wednesday) - DM, MC
  • Corey Blackett-Taylor (Charlton Athletic) - AMRL / MRL
  • Marvin Johnson (Sheffield Wednesday) - DC, WB, M/AML / DL
  • Freddie Ladapo (Ipswich Town) - SC
  • Georgie Kelly (Rotherham United) - SC
  • Jonson Clarke-Harris (Peterborough United) - SC
  • Jordan Hugill (Rotherham United) - SC
  • Lee Bonis (Larne) - SC
  • Macaulay Langstaff (Notts County) - SC
  • Matt Godden (Coventry City) - SC
  • Michael Smith (Sheffield Wednesday) - SC
  • Paul Mullin (Wrexham) - SC

--

Players signed by managers of Derby County on FM24

These players were signed by managers of Derby County on FM24 in either the summer or January transfer windows of the 2023/24 season. I'll leave it to you to work out which transfer window and whether you can sign these players on permanent deals, or loan them, or both.

Goalkeepers

Spoiler
  • Abidan Edwards (free agent) - GK
  • Ben Garratt (free agent) - GK
  • Jed Steer (free agent) - GK
  • Lennart Moser (free agent) - GK
  • Matt Macey (free agent) - GK
  • Myles Bowman (free agent) - GK
  • Tom Billson (free agent) - GK
  • Will Dennis (AFC Bournemouth) - GK

Defenders

Spoiler
  • Alfie Dorrington (Tottenham Hotspur) - DC
  • Alfie Young (Lewes) - DC
  • Archie Chaplin (Tottenham Hotspur) - DC 
  • Ben Nelson (Leicester City) - DC, DR, DM
  • Billy Koumetio (Liverpool) - DC
  • Brooklyn Lyons-Foster (Tottenham Hotspur) - DLC / DR, WBL
  • Calum Scanlon (Liverpool) - D/WBL
  • Harrison Foulstone (free agent) - DC
  • Harvey Cullinan (free agent) - DC
  • Juan Familia-Castilla (free agent - requires ESC place) D/WBL, ML, DM, AML
  • Kelland Watts (Newcastle United) - DC
  • Leo Fuhr Hjelde (Leeds United) - DLC
  • Lino Sousa (Arsenal) - D/WBL, ML
  • Matias Padilla (Barracas Central) - DC
  • Noah Hay (Chelsea) - D/WBR
  • Omar Rekik (Arsenal) - DC
  • Ryan Bertrand (Stoke City) - D/WBL
  • Rhys Williams (Liverpool) - DC
  • Sam Barnes (Blackburn Rovers) - DC, DR
  • Sam Curtis (St. Patrick's Athletic) - DR, WBR, DC
  • Scott Warra (Stalybridge Celtic) - DC, DR
  • Warren O'Hora (MK Dons) - DC

Midfielders

Spoiler
  • Andy Rinomhota (Cardiff City) - DM / MC
  • George Scott (free agent) - MC
  • Jake Flannigan (Sholing) - MC
  • Josh Onomah (free agent) - MC, AMC
  • Mack Warne (Brighouse) - DM, MC
  • Marcus McGuane (Oxford United) - DM, MC
  • Matty Longstaff (free agent) - MC, DM, AMC
  • Stefan Bajcetic (Liverpool) - DM, MC, DC
  • Tom Bayliss (Shrewsbury Town) - M/AMC
  • Zak Guerfi (free agent) - MC

Attacking Midfielders

Spoiler
  • Alex Pritchard (free agent) - AMC, MC
  • Andre Ayew (free agent) - AMR, SC, AML
  • Antonio Nusa (Club Brugge) - AMRL / MR
  • Bryan Ly (Wythenshawe) - AM/MR, AM/ML
  • J'Neil Bennett (free agent) - AMRL
  • Jesse Lingard (free agent) - AMLC, MRL, AMR
  • Kosuke Saito (free agent - requires ESC place) - AMC, MC, AML
  • Nemanja Jovic (free agent) - AML / AMR
  • Oscar Bobb (Manchester City) - AMRC, MC
  • Ramello Mitchell (free agent) - AMRL, SC
  • Rashawn Scott (free agent) - AMR, AML, AMC
  • Shola Shoretire (Manchester United) - AMC
  • Tariqe Fosu (free agent) - AMRL, MC, AMC
  • Theo (Real Madrid) - AMC, MC
  • Theo Hudson (Liversedge) - MR, AMC

Strikers

Spoiler
  • Aaron Connolly (Hull City) - SC
  • Alex Samizadeh (free agent) - SC, AMC
  • Alexander Sosa (Patronato) - SC
  • Charley McMillan Lopez (College ‘75) - SC, AMRL
  • Divin Mubama (West Ham United) - SC
  • Harry Leonard (Blackburn Rovers) - SC / AMRLC
  • Jamie Donley (Tottenham Hotspur) - SC, AMC
  • Jhon Duran (Aston Villa) - SC, AML
  • Josh Eppiah (free agent) - SC, AMRL, MRL
  • Lyle Taylor (Montserrat) - SC / AMR
  • Macaulay Langstaff (Notts County) - SC
  • Pau Sans (Real Zaragoza) - SC
  • Ricky-Jade Jones (Peterborough United) - SC, AML
  • Sebastian Andersson (free agent) - SC
  • Shaqueel van Persie (Feyenoord) - SC, AMRL
  • Tevahn Tyrell (free agent) - SC
  • William Osula (Sheffield United) - SC, AMRL

--

Edited by Stuniverse

On 24/10/2023 at 18:22, maxjam said:

The only downside being the loss of Joe Wildsmith for 6 weeks in the first game of the season and Joe Vickers for 2 months in the second game of the season!  Lennart Moser is now my No.1 for several more weeks with Scott Loach sitting on the bench... 

For information, there is a known issue with goalkeeper injuries being too frequent. SI are making adjustments to the GK injury rate.

Please go to "Football Manager 24 Early Access Bugs Tracker > Player Development, Injuries, Finances and Training > GKs getting injured during matches" for more information and, if you wish to comment, please comment on that thread:

Edited by Stuniverse

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SamuraiHex said:

First season with Derby on my YouTube save I won League One, won the EFL Trophy and am in the FA Cup final after beating Liverpool & Tottenham!

That’s very impressive, @SamuraiHex. 🐏 Congratulations.

What tactics have you been using?

Good luck in the FA Cup Final 🍀🤞 who do you play?

10 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

That’s very impressive, @SamuraiHex. 🐏 Congratulations.

What tactics have you been using?

Good luck in the FA Cup Final 🍀🤞 who do you play?

Not spoiling the video but I will say we played Chelsea in the final.

I'm using the first tactic I made in FM24. Got two Inverted Wing-Backs on support. Two ball-playing defenders on defend. Then two segundo volante's on attack in dm. Two wingers that are interchangeable in terms of roles. On the Derby tactic variant it's an Inside Forward on attack on the left wing, And a winger on support on the right. Then attacking mid on AMC. And lone striker is an advanced forward. The other variant for my Prem, CL & EFL Cup winning Arsenal it's two wingers on attack.

But yeah it's working wonders on both my YouTube saves! I'm actually going to create a graphic for both versions and then put them on the Steam Workshop. If anyone wants to use them I can also post on this thread as well if someone asks.

7 hours ago, SamuraiHex said:

Not spoiling the video but I will say we played Chelsea in the final.

Cheers. I will have a watch later to see how you got on.

I'm using the first tactic I made in FM24. Got two Inverted Wing-Backs on support. Two ball-playing defenders on defend. Then two segundo volante's on attack in dm. Two wingers that are interchangeable in terms of roles. On the Derby tactic variant it's an Inside Forward on attack on the left wing, And a winger on support on the right. Then attacking mid on AMC. And lone striker is an advanced forward. The other variant for my Prem, CL & EFL Cup winning Arsenal it's two wingers on attack.

Thanks for sharing. That sounds like quite a symmetrical type of formation, certainly in defence and midfield and is clearly serving you well.

In terms of your transfers, I have been watching your series and, for anyone who's interested, @SamuraiHex's first season signings are included in my "Known Players signed by Derby County in FM24" post above in the hidden text sections. Let me know if I've missed any.

I'm actually going to create a graphic for both versions and then put them on the Steam Workshop. If anyone wants to use them I can also post on this thread as well if someone asks.

Yes please... that would be very much appreciated.

--

For information, you'll find Episode 1 of @SamuraiHex's YouTube series managing Derby County on FM24 linked in  my "Derby County on YouTube" post above and you can follow the rest of his series on YouTube from there if you're interested. You can also follow along on this Forum here: 

Edited by Stuniverse

Derby County squad numbers

Following last night's EFL Trophy game against Wolverhampton Wanderers U21s, there are some Derby County squad numbers not set in FM24.

• 41 - Daniel Cox
  • 42 - Bayo (Adebayo) Fapetu
  • 43 - Tony Weston
  • 44 - Harry Hawkins
  • 45 - Lennon Wheeldon
  • 46 - Adisa Osayande.

These will be added in a future update.

In the meantime, you can set them in your saves by using the FM24 Pre-Game Editor, or add them in-save by assigning them if you're managing Derby County or by using the In-Game Editor if you have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Youth Academy downgraded to Cat 2

Is anybody else getting an Inbox notification at the end of the first season on FM (2023/24) that the Youth Academy is downgraded from Cat 1 to Cat 2?

I've reported this as it's highly unlikely to be downgraded in real-life:

If you've experienced the same, I'd welcome you reporting it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

23/24 Season

So first season we barely manage to win League One on the last game of the season!LeagueOneChamps1.1.thumb.png.895f83675bcfa8249ab0a050baa0e0f3.png

We had a really rough December only picking up 4 points out of 15. In the new year lost at the time top goal scorer Tyreece John-Jules because he didn't want to extend his loan. We changed our formation in October and it seems the team finally got comfortable with it in January because from January to April we only lost 3 games. We really put pressure Oxford and on the last day the pressure finally got to them. I know we have a couple of Championship level players on the team but I think there are a few areas that need improvement. Another thing is Sibley, Bird, Thompson, Cashin, and Kane all want new contracts, they probably all deserve it but I don't think Thompson will be worth it. And yes after the season the youth academy dropped a level.

Table

Spoiler

LeagueOneChamps1.2.thumb.png.0c0d558be03b666d872d6d3f4e272a04.png

Tactic

Spoiler

tactics.thumb.png.f0e303d34c54edad6f061a76f5cbc3ff.png

Spoiler

LeagueOneChamps1.3.thumb.png.34c4ba401a4a7d1a8e29f3c20c7a330d.png

1 hour ago, JaytheGreat said:

So first season we barely manage to win League One on the last game of the season!

Congratulations! Exciting and nerve-wracking to win it on the last day of the season but win it you did 🏆

Tactic

Looks like you stuck with the current squad based on your tactic although your goalkeeper was a surprise to me. Preferred him, or was the real-life number one injured or moved on?

And yes after the season the youth academy dropped a level.

I have reported this and it has been escalated to the QA Team for investigation. It would help add weight if you could also report it please or, at least, comment on the thread I raised. Many thanks.

On 18/11/2023 at 17:37, Stuniverse said:

Youth Academy downgraded to Cat 2

Is anybody else getting an Inbox notification at the end of the first season on FM (2023/24) that the Youth Academy is downgraded from Cat 1 to Cat 2?

I've reported this as it's highly unlikely to be downgraded in real-life:

If you've experienced the same, I'd welcome you reporting it as well.

Edited by Stuniverse

17 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Congratulations! Exciting and nerve-wracking to win it on the last day of the season but win it you did 🏆

Looks like you stuck with the current squad based on your tactic although your goalkeeper was a surprise to me. Preferred him, or was the real-life number one injured or moved on

I'm very excited to win it and Wildsmith was my #1 goalkeeper I just played Vickers for that last game. I actually resigned him early in the season because I think he's a really quality GK until I reach the Premier League.

• 4 weeks later...

24/25 Season

Promotion.png.7c26eb4f79babbff66669c647dda00c4.png

Great way to end the season! We finished 5th in the league with 86 points and also had the best attacking record scoring 93 goals. We beat Stoke in the Semi Finals thanks to a Conor Washington extra time hattrick coming on as sub on the road. After that miracle we manage to squeeze away a win against Plymouth to secure promotion. It was a wild season and Louis Sibley was the leader of this team of chaos. He had double digit goals and assist and was probably the key player for this team. Bird and new signing Oliver Kemen were rocks in the midfield and both scored timely goals. We scooped up Tyreese John-Jules on a free and lead the team with 24 total goals in 47 total games. Ryan Nyambe and Joe Ward both had double digit assists playing in the right wingback role. 

Transfers

Spoiler

Olivier Kemen CM free transfer from Krayserispor (Turkey)

Kemen.thumb.png.05a4e0c1e6201fb5ae7fc2d2508b6ee6.png

Bradley de Nooijer free transfer LB from CSKA Sofia (Bulgaria)

Nooijer.thumb.png.de370f69674d0bf37d60a7f50c64d953.png

Jarrell Quansah LB loan from Liverpool

Quansah.thumb.png.5bf850c68b9268e65e7b2c79ec47fcd2.png

Not pictured Isak Hansen-Aaroen CM loan from Manchester United

Tyreese John-Jules free transfer Striker from Arsenal

• 1 month later...

Finally got back to my Derby County YouTube save. Third season and in the Premier League after two title promotions and an EFL Trophy. Got to the final of an FA Cup again and considering I'm a Premier League team I have more of a chance of winning than in the first year when I was in League 1.

• 1 month later...

Started up a new Derby save last week as they gave me one of my favourite saves in recent FM versions. 

Looking through the top posts - the players lost recently is a bit of a sad read.

The squad itself looks good for the league, I recognise a couple guys still here from my (I think it was FM22) save, but the squad in general doesn't look like it has anybody in it that I'll want to stick with long term, which isn't as fun.

Decided to play a fairly old school 442, only signings first season were Phil Jagielka on a free, David Watson, from Kilmarknock (who started with I think 18 for long throws) on loan with a £2.4m option to buy and Nathan Lowe, from Stoke in January for £40k. Lowe is fast and good in the air, starting with I believe it was 15 acceleration, 14 pace and 16 for jumping reach. Solid reliable physicals and good set peices are probably going to form the basis of my Derby County side's return to the EPL.

I think longer term I would like to bring back a few of the youngsters/wonderkids lost over the past few years - Kellyman, if Villa haven't done anything with him by the time I'm able to afford him, in particular looks interesting. Archie Brown could also be one to look at, but I may not as I've bought him in a few previous saves (he's very good for the money).

@Stuniverse I notice that Jack Thompson idolises Lee Grant's son, True - who is a year older than him. I don't want to assume too much but I'm guessing that's a slight mixup? Sorry this is very late in the cycle, I've not really looked at Derby youth players till this last week.

1 hour ago, Stackalee said:

@Stuniverse I notice that Jack Thompson idolises Lee Grant's son, True - who is a year older than him. I don't want to assume too much but I'm guessing that's a slight mixup? Sorry this is very late in the cycle, I've not really looked at Derby youth players till this last week.

Thanks for raising @Stackalee.

This is deliberate. True Grant and Jack Thompson were in Derby County's Academy set-up together. I guess it stems from the younger kid looking up to the older kid and then the older kid gets picked up by Man City's Academy.

2 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

This is deliberate. 

Oh wow okay sorry, thanks for the update. That makes sense I guess, the ages being so close and I guess me not viewing the word idol the same way they do lead to that not occuring to me as a solution!

Posted (edited)

Started up a new Derby save last week as they gave me one of my favourite saves in recent FM versions. 

Welcome back to Derby County on FM24 and I'm glad that the Rams were one of your favourite saves on recent FM versions.

Looking through the top posts - the players lost recently is a bit of a sad read.

Yeah, it's ironic that the Derby County Academy was one of former owner Mel Morris's proudest achievements and then it was decimated in the aftermath of his overspending, breaching FFP / P&S, and a season in Administration.

Oh for the team Derby County could've had if they'd been able to keep their prized assets.

The squad itself looks good for the league, I recognise a couple guys still here from my (I think it was FM22) save, but the squad in general doesn't look like it has anybody in it that I'll want to stick with long term, which isn't as fun.

Yeah, not sure whether you are using the FM24 launch version or winter update 1 or 2. The Academy U21s and U18s are probably two, three or even four years behind where they should be. The top prospects are either in the first team squad already or have left the building.

The U18s are third in their division in real-life so the recovery is underway: https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18

The U21s are rock-bottom of their league so, not great, but an improvement on how dire they were last season when they were cast adrift at the bottom and then some. At least this season the U21s are competing: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/fixtures/table/u21

Decided to play a fairly old school 442, only signings first season were Phil Jagielka on a free, David Watson, from Kilmarknock (who started with I think 18 for long throws) on loan with a £2.4m option to buy and Nathan Lowe, from Stoke in January for £40k. Lowe is fast and good in the air, starting with I believe it was 15 acceleration, 14 pace and 16 for jumping reach. Solid reliable physicals and good set peices are probably going to form the basis of my Derby County side's return to the EPL.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a sensible plan. How is your first season going?

I think longer term I would like to bring back a few of the youngsters/wonderkids lost over the past few years - Kellyman, if Villa haven't done anything with him by the time I'm able to afford him, in particular looks interesting. Archie Brown could also be one to look at, but I may not as I've bought him in a few previous saves (he's very good for the money).

And I'm loving that idea - something I want to do at some point. I have thought about using the pre-game editor to reinstate some / most / all of the young players who were let go on the cheap because of financial problems and see how I get on with a youth development save.

The main players who went far too soon were Omari Kellyman, Kaide Gordon, Malachi Sharpe, Sekou Kaba, James Scanlon, Dylan Williams, Malcolm Ebiowei, Festy Ebosele and Dylan Williams. You could possibly include Morgan Whittaker as well.

Archie Brown could also be one to look at

Not sure if it's true or not but I saw a report that Chelsea were interested in Archie Brown.

12 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Oh wow okay sorry, thanks for the update. That makes sense I guess, the ages being so close and I guess me not viewing the word idol the same way they do lead to that not occuring to me as a solution!

No worries. Thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by Stuniverse

9 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a sensible plan. How is your first season going?

Really well thanks, Collins and Ward are stand outs so far. Struggling to remember how to upload screenshots without them being obnoxiously large - but Collins bagged 18 goals in his first 21 games and Ward is on 16 assists and 6 goals with an average rating of 8.00 after 17 games played.