Squad rotation - How do you do it?

I hope you're all enjoying your Football Manager campaigns! I'm seeking some advice on squad rotation strategies to maintain a successful and realistic approach to managing my team. I understand that some of you may have moved on to newer versions of the game (I’m still planning my FM18), but I believe the principles of squad rotation should remain relevant across different editions.

Firstly, I'm wondering if any of you can recommend some good guides or resources specifically focused on squad rotation. It would be helpful to have some comprehensive information to guide me through this aspect of team management.

Moreover, I'm interested in hearing about your personal experiences and strategies for squad rotation. How do you ensure that your players stay fresh and motivated while maintaining a high level of performance? Are there any specific factors you consider, such as player form, fitness, or upcoming fixtures? How do you strike a balance between giving players enough playing time and avoiding discontent within the squad?

I'm eager to learn from your collective wisdom and incorporate successful rotation strategies into my FM18 gameplay. Please feel free to share any advice, tips, or anecdotes that you think would be valuable in this context.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

8 hours ago, FJW said:

I hope you're all enjoying your Football Manager campaigns! I'm seeking some advice on squad rotation strategies to maintain a successful and realistic approach to managing my team. I understand that some of you may have moved on to newer versions of the game (I’m still planning my FM18), but I believe the principles of squad rotation should remain relevant across different editions.

Firstly, I'm wondering if any of you can recommend some good guides or resources specifically focused on squad rotation. It would be helpful to have some comprehensive information to guide me through this aspect of team management.

Moreover, I'm interested in hearing about your personal experiences and strategies for squad rotation. How do you ensure that your players stay fresh and motivated while maintaining a high level of performance? Are there any specific factors you consider, such as player form, fitness, or upcoming fixtures? How do you strike a balance between giving players enough playing time and avoiding discontent within the squad?

I'm eager to learn from your collective wisdom and incorporate successful rotation strategies into my FM18 gameplay. Please feel free to share any advice, tips, or anecdotes that you think would be valuable in this context.

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Add "fatigue" and "injury risk" in the squad selection.

Don't play a player who goes into Red Injury risk. This is a pretty good rule of thumb for avoiding injuries, and avoiding overplaying them in general. Check out if a player is injury prone, if they are: wrap them in cotton wool and play them sparingly. Natural fitness/stamina and personality will also dictate how you rotate a player. 

If you ever get a notification that they're getting jaded, they're being overplayed. Send them individually on a holiday and then reduce their playing time. Young players (u23) will need more downtime in the season to develop properly (30-35 games seems to be the sweet spot for development). A really grueling pre-season will make the boys stay fitter as the season progresses. Have squad players who aren't playing that week available for the u23 squad so they stay match fit (players laking match fitness are terrible). 

Easiest way of managing your squad is making sure you've recruited squad players + a starting 11, and not just two starting 11s. 

Fm23 requires you to rotate the squad much more than previous FMs with changes to how quickly players get tired.

Edited by Cloud9

I take fatigue into account, but not injury risk, unless it's "very high". I don't start players who are just recovering from injuries (light training) and take fatigue into account when I make substitutions.

However, I believe I rotate fair amount. There are usually some easier games in the schedule, especially home games against bottom third clubs in the league or cup games against lower division clubs. That's the best time to rotate and give chances to youngsters or bench players. My usual aim is to give around 10 starts (+ substitutions) for all players and no more than 40 for any player. I manage in Eredivisie which is a 18-club-league, so we have around 45-50 matches in a season (depending how successful we are in Europe).

The trickiest part is with goalkeepers. So to get 10 starts he has to start in at least a couple of cup matches, probably at least home games against bottom third clubs (= 6 games) and if we secure the title early enough he'll complete his 10 games late in the season.

Avoid discontent through managing expectations. Don't promise what you can't deliver. Always try to tune playing time expectations down a noth when agreeing contract terms. Players agree to that in more times than you'd expect. I usually have players in the squad who have playing time agreements waaay below their actual game time, for example squad player/first team player level has "fringe player" or "breakthrough prospect" in his current deal, so they're delighted with their game time. 

Keep your squad fairly small. Definitely no more than 25 players. I usually start the season with 22-23 players and try to fill the ranks with a couple of youngsters when injuries struck or they develop enough, but usually I have no problems with injuries. Look for versatility - you don't need specifically 22 equal players (two to each position). Three equal centre-backs is usually enough to rotate and give everyone enough game time. Midfielders and wingers could play in several roles etc. 

Other than them being tired. Against the hardest and weakest teams I might change the 11 based on how good they are defensively/creatively. I'd randomly simply see who has played the most games all season and randomly give them a match off. Alternatively a player in my first team squad with the least appearances, start them. Don't rush players back from injury, especially if their replacement is doing well and needs the games. Also if someone has a couple of absolute stinkers being dropped is sometimes the medicine needed, both for better form and rotation purposes.

On 10/06/2023 at 21:34, FJW said:

I never start players unless they have:

At least excellent condition, and match fit (not excellent/tired)

At most a medium match load or whatever it is called (how many minutes they have had the last two weeks) OR they have peak condition. At least one of the two must be in place for me to start the player.

These few rules I feel are in itself enough to have a sound long term rotation and prevent players from ever getting jaded, ever getting more than low fatigue.

And I almost always use all five subs before around the 72nd minute. Because usually players are tired and subbing makes sense. Plus getting people on the pitch at around the 73rd minute gives them a match rating and is good for development of young players.

In my current save, I think this season is one of very few in my whole fm journey where I have managed to keep every single player happy, normally I don'tcare as long as they play well haha.

Things I have done to manage that is:-(Not all of this is about squad roatition I get, but it all ties in to keep players happy and fresh. When rotating players poorly you can annoy them but if they are already very happy they take being dropped/rested in their stride, so bear with me lol)

Firstly (I had a created club with no players so my route will be different to othes but after the squad building part the rest should apply to yours), with squad building I brought in 2 starting 11's and about 6 players or so on top of that who between them had the attributes to cover multiple areas of the pitch. No need for huge squads if you want to keep them all happy. Luckily for me with having to build a squad from scratch I could get in players on contracts that didn't demand they play every game, though I do have a few that wanted star player status

I set the training intensitys so that the first 2 options were no training/rest, whatever it is(I don't have the game open so I am going by memory lol) and the last 2 as double intensity, low and medium, or whatever it is, inbetween them

I keep an eye on training to make sure every week I get reports saying all players had great sessions. If players get poor training ratings I criticise them and if they get ratings of over 8.5ish I praise them, both improve morale a bt.

If players who haven't played in a while get a high training rating and the next game or 2 are games they canplay in without the team suffering or not a huge game they shouldn't play in, then I give them a start. Same goes for players who get a run in the team, if their performances start dropping, then I will give someone else a chance. In my team you get chances to show your worth to the team or you get replaced.

Unless I really have to, like because of injuries/suspensions/poor form, then I never start players with either 92% or less fitness levels or 90% match sharpness, if both are lower then they get benched or dropped. Though with match sharpness with my often rotating or making them available for the u21s/u18s, it's not usually an issue too much.

With my 2 keepers, neither have a contract that states they are number 1 so it's not too bad but I still roatate them. I have one I consider to be my number 1, just not told him that lol, he starts the majority of games and finals. My "backup" is my cup keeper as well as I play him in league games against some teams I know I can control and limit there shooting.

In team talks, I rarely go too hard on them unless they were so shocking they deserve the boot kicked at them. I often praise players individually in the team talks if they have got over an 8.5. I paise them after games if they get potm etc.Not had it yet but if the press ask anything about them in interviews I would say whatever option would be the "nicest"one lol

I try and make sure every squad memeber has had at least 10 starts and multiple sub appearances by the end of the season. Good for their morale and keeping everyone fresh. This season I haven't really had that many injuries, apart from 1 young player who gets injured more than IRL martial and bailly combined lol, but he will be gone soon.

Off the top of my head that pretty much covers it. To manage squad rotaion correctly after fitness/sharpness levels, keeping players happy is extemely important so they don't start complaining, that's where things can go bad quickly if you get it wrong.