Mentoring trouble

I am playing as a lower league French club (St Malo), so I often pick up youngsters to train up in hopes that they can improve and wither be sold or (if I can keep them) improve my club. In my first few seasons, I have tried mentoring 8 or 9 youngsters and most of the time the partnership ends in a fallout between the mentor and the "mentee". I am using the recommendations of my assistant and only trying partnerships that are predicted to work out. Is this something funny with the game (mentoring has generally worked pretty well in the past) or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Anyone have any advice for me?

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, DW19 said:

I am playing as a lower league French club (St Malo), so I often pick up youngsters to train up in hopes that they can improve and wither be sold or (if I can keep them) improve my club. In my first few seasons, I have tried mentoring 8 or 9 youngsters and most of the time the partnership ends in a fallout between the mentor and the "mentee". I am using the recommendations of my assistant and only trying partnerships that are predicted to work out. Is this something funny with the game (mentoring has generally worked pretty well in the past) or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Anyone have any advice for me?

Generally choose mentors who are in a similar position and who have either complimentary personalities to their mentee or whom have personality traits you'd like to see the mentee improve in ... ie. professional mentor will sometimes improve his mentees personality.

Hi mate, as Marc mentioned you could check mentor is personality in player profile page . and you could check detail to tap on the personality description. 

The motor will be better to have, professionalism, determination, work rate. 

@DW19 @Marc Vaughan Unfortunately, that's a bigger problem. After latest patch, mentoring termination rate is too high. This happens even with identical personalities and a "perfect" recommendation. What's more, after termination, you can't choose another mentor, because this option disappears.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Sauna said:

@DW19 @Marc Vaughan Unfortunately, that's a bigger problem. After latest patch, mentoring termination rate is too high. This happens even with identical personalities and a "perfect" recommendation. What's more, after termination, you can't choose another mentor, because this option disappears.

I'll take another look next week - but I've played a lot of FMM24 and its not been a big issue for me on either of my 30 season saves so far (I've only had a few blow outs and those have invariably involved an unprofessional youngster so I accepted them as fair enough, perhaps its too common in those circumstances?) ... most of my partnerships fail when I sell the mentor I find ;)

4 hours ago, Sauna said:

Unfortunately, this closer to my experience. The last 7 or 8 mentorships that I have set up have ended in a bust up. They were all partnerships recommended by my assistant, so I would expect that at least some would have been successfully completed. Often they fail pretty fast, too.

I have stopped using mentoring in this career. It is not worth the discord that it creates in my squad.

@Marc Vaughan It was fine before the patch. Definitely worth looking into, 😁 as many people are complaining about this issue. The second thing is that after mentoring termination (by players and sometimes manual), the "find a mentor" option for a player disappears (even the young ones). So fingers crossed for a fix and have a great weekend. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having some good success with mentoring,  only had perhaps 1 breakdown recently,  whether this was due to a change at last update I don't know. I never go off assistant reccomends though , perhaps that plays a part ? I am clearly an anomaly,  but the last few evenings of play I've invested more time into mentoring than any other save.

On 14/05/2023 at 14:27, PAFC_Dugout said:

seems to be fixed in the latest update :thup:

Is that version 14.4.0 ?

I will give it another try and see how it goes.

Edited by DW19

• SI Staff
On 14/05/2023 at 14:27, PAFC_Dugout said:

seems to be fixed in the latest update :thup:

Glad to hear that (I tweaked things a little based on the feedback we got - in all honesty I didn't mention doing so because I wasn't certain which update it'd come out in).