Should I use opposition instructions?

I'm never sure whether or not to set opposition instructions, such as show onto weaker foot etc.  I usually ask the assistant manager to set them, but to be honest they never really seem to make a difference anyway.  Are there any times I should use them, and if so do I need to use them on a lot of opposition players like the assistant manager usually suggests?  I often have a feeling that using the assistant manager's suggestions, it's just gonna bring my players out of position constantly considering he tends to suggest instructions on almost every opposition player.

On the other hand I don't really want to completely ignore the opposition instructions as that may be even worse, but I'm really not sure when to use them, which specific ones to use, and on which players.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

As a general rule of thumb, the assistant is an idiot, so I'd sooner leave OI's blank than let them sort it.

The way I see it, there are basically 2 ways of using OIs. You can use them to help with your pressing trap by guiding the opposition to a specific area of the pitch with 'Show onto weaker foot' and the odd bit of marking and then closing down someone in that area.

Alternatively you can use them to limit the effectiveness of specific opponents. For example if the player's non-dominant foot is 'weak' or worse, you can show them onto it. If you're up against an Mbappe or an Adama Traore who's lightning quick, you might want to set 'Tight Marking' to 'Never', since they'll only get away. A slow playmaker might be worth marking, however. When doing this, I try to avoid overkill and just focus on 1 or maybe 2 threats, because any more than that and things can get weird, as you allude to yourself.

I never used OIs since FM14 and honestly never felt like I missed out. Still managed to win plenty of trophies and overachieved with any number of clubs. The beauty of FM games is that you can put in exactly how much time you want into tactics and training and still manage to do well and have enjoyable time with game. Personally I find OIs setting for every match mind-numbingly boring compared to other aspects of game.

2 hours ago, Vanchatron said:

I'm never sure whether or not to set opposition instructions, such as show onto weaker foot etc.  I usually ask the assistant manager to set them, but to be honest they never really seem to make a difference anyway.  Are there any times I should use them, and if so do I need to use them on a lot of opposition players like the assistant manager usually suggests?  I often have a feeling that using the assistant manager's suggestions, it's just gonna bring my players out of position constantly considering he tends to suggest instructions on almost every opposition player.

On the other hand I don't really want to completely ignore the opposition instructions as that may be even worse, but I'm really not sure when to use them, which specific ones to use, and on which players.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It can make a huge difference, particularly if you're supposed to lose. If you're in a cup or something like this take the time to do it 100% of the time. Don't let your Assistant do it ever, better to leave it blank imo. 

In almost every match:

• Remember "show onto weaker foot" is a pressing instruction.
    • Show their wingbacks inside onto their weaker foot. Usually I like to start out the match going in on the more offensive of the two.
  • Show "Left or Right Only" footed player onto their weak foot.
  • DMs are high potential targets to man mark, press, or tackle hard, a lot of their play will go through them.
  • Players w/high dribbling you shouldn't tackle hard, esp if they're close to your goal. You can try to flick it on off to disrupt them but your players will get beaten/and give away free kicks more often.
  • Tackle hard and press their playmaker (check the pass map and see who is running the game, target them. If they've got a press resistant player, try to stop the player who is passing him the ball).
  • During the match, if one of their players is having a good game: change that. Kick him down. 
  • If a winger has no crossing ability, show him outside, if a winger is super quick show him inside (unless he has great end product). 
  • Only tell them to man mark someone if you're 100% certain about it, old players are good targets, but it will sacrifice your own shape more than the press instruction. 
  • Check the opposition for weak composure, first touch, and bravery. Their moral will drop if you put them under pressure and tackle them hard. Take into account the players on your team you're asking to do the instruction as well as the opposition. 
  • Using "never press" is great at lower levels against really quick players w/no end product. Once you get to a decent level, even players like Traore (who have no end product irl) will hurt you if you put this instruction on in my experience. Best to leave it blank I think. 
  • Once you're targeting 3-4 players on the opposition team, you're probably going to do more harm then good to add more. 
  • I usually play with "counter-press" off for most of the match in my team instruction, so doing it in the PIs has a more surgical effect as well. 

Avoid opposition instructions on their frontline: Pressing a talented/quick player and tackling hard can see your players beaten/pulled out of position/giving away fouls. Only go for it if there's a clear opportunity to use on, I think the one I use most is man mark on a facilitating, slow striker. 

In summary: With opposition instructions less is more, if in doubt leave it blank. A few well placed tweaks can be the difference between winning or losing against a tough opponent. 

Edited by Cloud9

I have had great success with OI's and also some pretty bad failures.

I think Cloud9's post above summed it up really, really well.

If you're confident in what you're doing, and you've got a very specific system that incorporates them, by all means go full bore with them.

Generally speaking, I would limit their use to a few players or less. Chances are the real difference maker is something in your own tactics than something in the OI screen.

The only thing I use is just showing the wide cbs and fullbacks onto their opposite foot, so left cb onto his right foot. Just seems to me it makes a difference in pressing, nothing significant, but does make the press better IMO.