International Football Revamp

jim owen

Hi All, as someone who mainly plays international football games in FM i think its in great need of a revamp. Whilst i understand that it will never be a priority, i have come up with a number of what i believe are relatively small changes to make that would have a great impact. The higher ones are harder to implement but the lower ones should be easy and would arguably have a greater impact.

Selection of training centres for major tournaments

Training at Tournament 

Selection of training priorities at a tournament, e.g. focus on set pieces, penalties, team building etc which could have different affects in game e.g increased team cohesion, increased tiredness etc.

Post Tournament Summary (and conversations?)

A summary of who played what in the tournament sent to you after the end, so player x 5 starts 2 subs appearences av rating 7.22 etc. This could also lead to conversations with players e.g. a striker who had been to two tournaments without playing a minute may lead to an increased chance he is retiring from international duty, so you have a conversation to say he will be first choice in the next campaign as you are phasing player X out.

Get The Rules Right

I've raised a few of these in the bugs forum, but there is too many for me to do them all, so please review all tournaments. Examples include the super cup between European and SA champions only having a bench of 5 subs, All OCN World cup qualifiers being player at a single neutral stadium instead of home and away, SAFF championship taking place at home away and neutral stadiums despite it all being held in one host country etc. Again i've reported some in the bugs forum but there is too many for me, so please recheck all work

Focus on the Smaller Tournaments

there are a number of these in existence and many reflected in the game, but quite often in game they are out of date, for example the SAFF championship has Afghanistan competing despite them having left that confederation in 2015 and now competing in a different championship. Additionally many of these tournaments such as SAFF (India), or OCN (New Zealand) have one dominant team, that no one expects to beat. The game needs to take this into account with ecpectations, for example as Sri Lanka manager you will always get sacked if you don't make the SAFF final, when in reality if you are the second best team you will go out in the semi if you face india there instead of the final, i know when i will get sacked as soon as the groups are drawn as in game the semi's are between first and second in the same group, so you may as well resign if you get india in your group.

Advance to next Competition Draw 

Same as we have an ioption to advance to next squad selection, have one to advance to next comp draw

Interrupt holiday for captains decisions and other related decisions 

Ability to tell game to interupt holiday when a big decision needs to be made like choosing captain

Ability to say you are not picked cause i have 5 great players in your position

Many small teams get overstacked in one position which is realistic, however i want to tell a player that whilst he may be the 5th best player in my country he is also the 5th best GK, so he isnt getting picked, as opposed to saying he isn't good enough

Display National team stats not domestic

During the tournaments the in game av rating and apps refer to their domestic cups, it should reflect the national team stats for that tournament

Please add your other ideas below

1 hour ago, jim owen said:

Hi All, as someone who mainly plays international football games in FM i think its in great need of a revamp. Whilst i understand that it will never be a priority, i have come up with a number of what i believe are relatively small changes to make that would have a great impact. The higher ones are harder to implement but the lower ones should be easy and would arguably have a greater impact.

It should be a priority.  It should have been a priority for FM23 (was the perfect time)...it should have been a priority 10 years plus ago...bottom line is SI just don't give a flying.

It is broken beyond broken. 

Can't scout properly, no proper shortlists, can't do training (even if just tactics/fitness), can't obtain coaching badges, coded injuries every...single...squad....selection, either the day before, same day or the day after, guaranteed, no exceptions.  If reduce processing breaks is ticked the game will completely skip messages telling you about injuries (see above) and you, as an international manager, 'choose' not to call anyone else up instead (what a damn joke), this should be a must respond game stop mesage IMO. Back to the injuries (lol), Casemiro has been injured (I didn't bother calling anyone up to replace him..cos...lol), press conference, you decided not to call up Casemiro despite his good form, can you tell us why? Hmm I dunno Pedro...maybe because he's ****ing INJURED perhaps?!?!?!?

Jim Smith's x team will face x or x in the quarter finals of the WC.  Excellent, I'll watch the game, see how they play, tactical syle, players to watch out for etc etc.  Yet, for some reason (I was spotted in the stands despite me wearing my hat, sunglasses and trenchcoat), fans and media are still wondering why I was there??  Like...really?  Same with the World Cup final...why was I there?  So, next time I choose not to go (so I don't confuse fans and media) and ask my scout to scout the match for me instead....only, he doesn't scout the match (because, why would he, we're only playing the winner of said game), instead he turns up, realises there are no players from our country and returns to me saying, I didn't find anyone....

The most ignorantly blatantly lazy ass attempt at something I've seen in this industry.

SI, this might have passed your attention, but the World Cup is the godamn PINNICLE of football.  Fix this sorry ass broken part of the game which is undoubtedly, one of the the...single...most...important parts of football.

Edited by Maviarab

• 3 weeks later...