Lines of defense and press(engagement) + mentality

I think I learned something today.

It seems like you have to adjust the lines of defense and press(engagement) after/according to mentality. So If I face a good/better team away and select cautious mentality, it seems to work best with a lower line of defense and line of engagement. This makes sense to me and I'am probably the last person to discover this haha. :D Suddenly I had a chance and almost beat Roma and Ajax in CL with a swedish team and tight defense. I liked it. I like FM 2023. 

Do you feel the same with the height of the lines in regard to mentality chosen?

Edited by Dreambuilder

1 hour ago, Dreambuilder said:

cautious mentality, it seems to work best with a lower line of defense and line of engagement

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. Lower mentalities will lower your lines a little anyway (as well as reducing passing range, tempo and width). So while there might be games where you want even lower lines, equally your tactical approach might suit a lower mentality (for eg, taking fewer risks) but maintaining slightly higher lines. Conversely, of course, you could stay on 'balanced' and drop your lines without affecting tempo, width and range.

In the case of your CL campaign, it sounds like your approach made you harder to beat, but a slightly different setup might have allowed you to sneak a win. Maybe :)

There's always more than one way to make a tasty bolognese.

I disagree respectfully.

You don't "have" to do anything when changing mentality. Often times I leave mentality on balanced and forget about it (really, this is perfectly fine). 

The line of engagement + defensive line is all about create a zone of compression. Do you want to win the ball high up? Compress space in the middle? Or sit in a low block?

It's not really related to mentality in the sense of, "you must do X if you use Y mentality."  Not at all.

Hmm, I see what you're saying but I think mentality is better thought of as the "risk" your team will take. 

I do think it's true that it's the first fm where you can play a defensive mentality and still have strong attacking moments though! Defensive + low block is great against far superior teams.

14 hours ago, Tyburn said:

I actually play a low block, low line of defence, with an attacking mentality. The idea is that we’re constantly looking to break aggressively AFTER drawing a team out. Has worked quite well. Miraculously 😁

Very interesting, how well exactly? =)

4 hours ago, Dreambuilder said:

Very interesting, how well exactly? =)

Very actually. Playing a 433 DM wide formation. Is good in most situations but especially away from home against top teams. Press intensity is high and counter is active. Also tackle hard. Roles need some playing around with, and ofc pace is important. Especially from top 3.