[FM23] Japan Football League System (Level 4 2023 version updated with future improvement planned)

Spoiler

emperor_cup.thumb.jpg.10934e9e94b2b626745f6e49f8b605f6.jpg

Emperor's Cup and Super Cup are done.

I have also updated the file in the first post to limit it to divison 4 for the time being.

In future if I decide to expand it futher, I will create a separate copy.

The more time I spent on editor, the more limitations I found.

Too sad the local region doesn't work as expected and it doesn't allow me to get any clubs from lower division (which I havn't created) to play in the Emperor's Cup either.

So I have to simplify it to clubs from J1 to JFL.

Edited by nicholas.shen

• nicholas.shen changed the title to [FM23] Japan Football League System (Level 4 completed, lower regional levels planned later)
Spoiler

1065994634_U18east.png.948fe9b6d87156dedf17527e6ddd2923.png

398409925_U18west.png.9b35ab0e5863fa347c287b39a0f77d66.png

2000548019_U18princehokkaido.png.a1c158ca750c198d34cacd87b2d0f969.png

reserve.png.de5edc988c0594bdd0254fdb97e6d489.png

Updated version 2.0 with Takamodo Cup (premier league & prince league) and Japanese Elite League.

All competitions by level 4 are completed. No more major changes except for bug/error if any.

I will go back to play my own FM23 and stay away from the editor for a while.

Hope you all enjoy it and probably I will start looking into the regional leagues after New Year.

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier I forgot to set the yellow card bans in the default discipline rules. This has been fixed in V3.

Also I have created a new file to add sponsorship income for all J League clubs (J1, J2, J3).

For JFL clubs, I only find the figures for Nara Club. For Honda FC, I changed it's sugar daddy type from none to backend.

FYI

In case you didn't have enough on your plate next year, lol. Can I ask what led you to make another DB compared to Robles? More/less detail? Do you think one is better for a more streamlined experience with only the top division or two, and one is better for a lower league experience, or are there other differences?

3 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

FYI

In case you didn't have enough on your plate next year, lol. Can I ask what led you to make another DB compared to Robles? More/less detail? Do you think one is better for a more streamlined experience with only the top division or two, and one is better for a lower league experience, or are there other differences?

It looks like there will be no promotion from JFL for the next two years which makes it much more simple.

20 clubs for each tier is same as what I expect.

I don't want to comment too much about other's work.

What I can say is that this is the first league DB I created from scratch by myself. I chose Japan because it's much easier for me to find the info compared to other leagues and it gives me enough motivation to continue update it especially from the recent world cup experience.

Updated a new file with new format for 2023 and 2024.

Altought start date has been set to 2023, it has no issue to start with the European leagues in Jun/July 2022.

Had some issue with YBC Levain Cup 2023 format so I updated it to 2024 format which including all 60 J League clubs.

May spend some time later to see if I can revise the Emperor's Cup to the real format.

Edited by nicholas.shen

• 2 weeks later...

Champions League spots in Japan dont go by last season's results, they take a screenshot of the current table when the cup creation date is
so in my save last season frontale, yokohama, and sanfrecce finished 1-3
yet niigata, kashima, and kyoto are in the ACL because they are the current top 3
however winning the cup does indeed qualify you
since the ACL creation date in the database is in July, it takes the current table as of July and gives them spots.
For the other nations in Asia, everything works correctly so I think it is something with the Japan db
this happened on my 22 save as well but it wasnt noticable because the end of season table was always before the ACL was created. Now in 23 it's a summer to spring schedule for ACL so the bug is noticeable.

-This is a problem in Robbles db and may be hardcoded. Is there any way around it that you found?

1 hour ago, Foxy Hippo said:

Champions League spots in Japan dont go by last season's results, they take a screenshot of the current table when the cup creation date is
so in my save last season frontale, yokohama, and sanfrecce finished 1-3
yet niigata, kashima, and kyoto are in the ACL because they are the current top 3
however winning the cup does indeed qualify you
since the ACL creation date in the database is in July, it takes the current table as of July and gives them spots.
For the other nations in Asia, everything works correctly so I think it is something with the Japan db
this happened on my 22 save as well but it wasnt noticable because the end of season table was always before the ACL was created. Now in 23 it's a summer to spring schedule for ACL so the bug is noticeable.

-This is a problem in Robbles db and may be hardcoded. Is there any way around it that you found?

It sounds like a bug in the default ACL rules.

I haven't tried to create any continental competition. If anyone can guide me how to export the default ACL rule, I may take a look at it.

Edited by nicholas.shen

1 hour ago, nicholas.shen said:

It sounds like a bug in the default ACL rules.

I haven't tried to create any continental competition. If anyone can guide me how to export the default ACL rule, I may take a look at it.

This is the issue:

20230107141557_1.thumb.jpg.9d370e00641fa31b84003440c20c3e17.jpg

20230107141640_1.thumb.jpg.9594bf2c1a2ea2da3add03ea7f81ab4d.jpg

Remove them both and ACL qualification should work correctly. It should also correctly show the colour coding for qualification places once you do that. Generally you shouldn't add anything to do with continental cup qualification to league rules. It's all done automatically by the continental cup itself and interfering with that could break things. From what I can tell this setup got in the way of qualification so no teams qualified, the ACL then when trying to setup the group stages saw it only had 1 Japanese team (the cup winner), panicked and just grabbed the best teams at the current moment to fill the gaps. Without these instructions, teams should correctly qualify at the end of the season and will already be on the ACL Teams page before and stages set up.

The Other Stage Rules Continental Cup Rules are only required if you've got a continental cup playoff to determine the final place or something. Even then this setup wouldn't work, and you also have to be very careful to account for a change in qualification places due to coefficients. The leagues that have continental playoffs typically have multiple league setups depending on how many places they get. The top X teams + the cup winner is the default setup for the ACL anyway though, so no need to try and change that here.

As for Set Continental Cup, that's an instruction that should only ever be used in Continental Cups themselves. It's to flag a team as currently competing in a continental competition. It should be set when they join the competition, and removed when they're knocked out or win it. It's not a qualifier.

Had a quick look at Robbles' file too and it's guilty of the first problem, probably why the error exists in that file as well, but not the second problem. Season update day may well be an issue as well, continental cups can be temperamental about that, although that should only affect the colour coding, not the actual qualification itself. Your file's 1st Jan date seems to be fine, not sure about Robble's 20th Jan though, so if removing the Continental Cup Rules set in that file doesn't fix it, a change in date might. For reference I use the 27th Dec for my update day.

Edited by rusty217

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

This is the issue:

20230107141557_1.thumb.jpg.9d370e00641fa31b84003440c20c3e17.jpg

20230107141640_1.thumb.jpg.9594bf2c1a2ea2da3add03ea7f81ab4d.jpg

Remove them both and ACL qualification should work correctly. It should also correctly show the colour coding for qualification places once you do that. Generally you shouldn't add anything to do with continental cup qualification to league rules. It's all done automatically by the continental cup itself and interfering with that could break things. From what I can tell this setup got in the way of qualification so no teams qualified, the ACL then when trying to setup the group stages saw it only had 1 Japanese team (the cup winner), panicked and just grabbed the best teams at the current moment to fill the gaps. Without these instructions, teams should correctly qualify at the end of the season and will already be on the ACL Teams page before and stages set up.

The Other Stage Rules Continental Cup Rules are only required if you've got a continental cup playoff to determine the final place or something. Even then this setup wouldn't work, and you also have to be very careful to account for a change in qualification places due to coefficients. The leagues that have continental playoffs typically have multiple league setups depending on how many places they get. The top X teams + the cup winner is the default setup for the ACL anyway though, so no need to try and change that here.

As for Set Continental Cup, that's an instruction that should only ever be used in Continental Cups themselves. It's to flag a team as currently competing in a continental competition. It should be set when they join the competition, and removed when they're knocked out or win it. It's not a qualifier.

Had a quick look at Robbles' file too and it's guilty of the first problem, probably why the error exists in that file as well, but not the second problem. Season update day may well be an issue as well, continental cups can be temperamental about that, although that should only affect the colour coding, not the actual qualification itself. Your file's 1st Jan date seems to be fine, not sure about Robble's 20th Jan though, so if removing the Continental Cup Rules set in that file doesn't fix it, a change in date might. For reference I use the 27th Dec for my update day.

I have tested it by removing those settings.

But it is drawing more teams than expected. The correct rule shall be 3 group spots and 1 playoff spot.

draw.thumb.jpg.bb2000c7decbce763aea433208cd4870.jpg

But it is drawing more teams than expected. The correct rule shall be 3 group spots and 1 playoff spot.

Are you running any other files? It worked fine in my tests. An extra team should be able to qualify if a Japanese team wins the ACL too (the AFC Cup as well, although countries with 4 ACL teams don't usually play in the AFC Cup), so it's not always just 4.

It also looks like your ACL there hasn't got a single team from China or Iran. If something has gone wrong with the qualification for those it could be drawing more teams from elsewhere to compensate. Looks like Hong Kong has got 5 teams too, so it's not just Japan with extra.

31 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Are you running any other files? It worked fine in my tests. An extra team should be able to qualify if a Japanese team wins the ACL too (the AFC Cup as well, although countries with 4 ACL teams don't usually play in the AFC Cup), so it's not always just 4.

It also looks like your ACL there hasn't got a single team from China or Iran. If something has gone wrong with the qualification for those it could be drawing more teams from elsewhere to compensate. Looks like Hong Kong has got 5 teams too, so it's not just Japan with extra.

Yes, I was testing with the 2 files I created only.

It looks like the game start date is also playing a role here.

I will run some more tests at least to get a consistence result.

Yes, I was testing with the 2 files I created only.

It looks like the game start date is also playing a role here.

I will run some more tests at least to get a consistence result.

I got it to work with both my own file and yours, after the changes, with Feb 2022 as the start date.

4 hours ago, nicholas.shen said:

I tested it too, removing the 2 parts that was mentioned above with this file. I got a similar result. No Chinese teams at all. But 4 Japanese teams, 3 groups, 1 play-off.

No clue why there are no Chinese teams.

Edited by CrowBar

Strange. Here's my result from my last test using OP's file with the fixes:

20230107221251_1.thumb.jpg.1f7ec58c38f19c91674d6fa32ccef7dc.jpg

4 teams + the reigning champions for 5 total correctly qualified from China, as well as the top 4 from Japan (Gamba won the league/cup double, so the cup place went to 4th instead).

Although I am running a custom Chinese league file, but that would mean the issue is with the default Chinese league rules?

10 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Strange. Here's my result from my last test using OP's file with the fixes:

20230107221251_1.thumb.jpg.1f7ec58c38f19c91674d6fa32ccef7dc.jpg

4 teams + the reigning champions for 5 total correctly qualified from China, as well as the top 4 from Japan (Gamba won the league/cup double, so the cup place went to 4th instead).

Although I am running a custom Chinese league file, but that would mean the issue is with the default Chinese league rules?

The 2023 file or the 2022 file? I tried it with the 2023 file. I am going to test again with the 2022 file (of OP).

27 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

The 2022 one. Japan(D4)v3_by_Nicholas

Alright I tested the 2022 file too. Same issue, no Chinese teams. Seems there might be an issue with China somewhere.

Which China file are you using?

image.thumb.png.f1d9998b18aecf04bc55c6e7e7ac0f30.png

Edited by CrowBar

12 minutes ago, CrowBar said:

Alright I tested the 2022 file too. Same issue, no Chinese teams. Seems there might be an issue with China somewhere.

Which China file are you using?

image.thumb.png.f1d9998b18aecf04bc55c6e7e7ac0f30.png

Not just China, like the OP you seem to be missing Iran too. Some of the countries being different make sense due to changes in qualifying places. Both China and Iran are highly ranked and should be getting multiple places though.

I'm using my own personal China file, here z China.fmf I'm also using my own Iran file here z Iran.fmf

IIRC I only changed Chinese prize money and player registration from 2025 anyway, so that shouldn't really affect 2023 ACL qualification.

Edited by rusty217

26 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Not just China, like the OP you seem to be missing Iran too. Some of the countries being different make sense due to changes in qualifying places. Both China and Iran are highly ranked and should be getting multiple places though.

I'm using my own personal China file, here z China.fmf I'm also using my own Iran file here z Iran.fmf

IIRC I only changed Chinese prize money and player registration from 2025 anyway, so that shouldn't really affect 2023 ACL qualification.

I'm such an idiot, I had to scroll down. Apparently my name fix mod changes the names of China and Iran too. Didn't realise that at all.

So there is no problem here, all is fine it seems. Your fix with the Japan files also works fine.

image.thumb.png.f97e1c4bf0bb09fae4e1799f3b472d8c.png

Edited by CrowBar

Thanks for all your valuable feedback and testing.

I have updated the V2 for 2023 version and my future plan as well.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

For ACL qualification, here are the two scenarios as per my test.

1) Start from Jan 2023 (I have updated the game start date and it is displayed as 2023 season now)

ACL 2022 will not be played/simulated (as expected).

ACL 2023 will be scheduled and the correct Japanese teams are drawn as below.

Spoiler

ACL_2023.thumb.jpg.064ce9dc45ca6e2daf0ea57e40778a57.jpg

2) Start from Jul 2022 (the major European leagues start date)

ACL 2022 will be played/simulated.

ACL 2023 will be scheduled but incorrect Japanese teams will be drawn. I think it has to do with the default ACL rule and unfortunately I cannot do anything more with my file.

ACL 2024 will draw the correct japanese teams (as expected).

Edited by nicholas.shen

• nicholas.shen changed the title to [FM23] Japan Football League System (Level 4 2023 version updated with future improvement planned)
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PrancingReus said:

hello sorry I'm fairly new to this. where do I install the competitions and other fixes file too? thanks

The default path is as below. Make sure you extract the files from the zip file first.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2023\data\database\db\2300\lnc

On 22/01/2023 at 23:21, PrancingReus said:

feels like this rule with 550 max wage is broken. trying to sign anybody and its saying they wont join because of the wage rules. i only have 20 players..?

Can you let me know which club you selected?

Or can you share your save file for me to test it?

9 hours ago, nicholas.shen said:

Can you let me know which club you selected?

Or can you share your save file for me to test it?

Cerezo Osaka. It just seems like random players have the MWE. ive also noticed i cant keep any staff as all the wages for that seems to be capped at 550 also. will downloading the in game editor  fix this?

• 1 month later...

V4 has been updated to accomodate to DB version 23.3.0. Do let me know if you have spot any error.

I have also updated the competition names on top of the latest real name fix from Sortitoutsi.

Thanks to @themodelcitizen I managed to correct the 2023 format of Levain Cup.

There is still some issue with the promotion/relegation between J3 and JFL and I'm trying to correct it as much as possible.

New anouncement for Youth Championship & Elite League  shall come soon. I will try to release another update to include the latest changes by end of the month.

11 minutes ago, nicholas.shen said:

Can you show me whether you selected the correct verision of DB?

DB.jpg.d69fd7c6885eab2b0bdb7c2d51b75cf7.jpg

Oh Ok thank you 

I have some question in this DB  about the players.

How can I make the player list look realistic?