Is there a DM role that consistently drops in and then brings the ball out of defence?

Not talking about just presenting a short passing target for CBs, because if they're positioned in front of the defensive line and facing their own goal then they're vulnerable to interceptions from behind. I'm talking about a DM who will drop in, form a back 3, receive the ball while facing up field and then carry the ball into the midfield, like DMs do in real life. And who will do this very consistently instead of just floating in front of the defensive line most of the time. I've tried both Half-Back and Anchor but they don't do it, they are always facing the wrong way when they receive the ball and make themselves very vulnerable to the press in a very dangerous spot as a result.

6 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Half Back does it very well in FM23. The role was designed for it. So you haven't tried hard enough. Or most likely done something naughty tactically no doubt. 

I've done Half-Back with default instructions in possession (only tackle harder), and Half-Back with shorter passing. Either way they keep getting the ball stolen from behind right in front of my goal. Maybe my players are just not very smart (it is League One after all).

Edited by jacob_m_mack

On 20/11/2022 at 15:19, crusadertsar said:

Half Back does it very well in FM23. The role was designed for it. So you haven't tried hard enough. Or most likely done something naughty tactically no doubt. 

update: stuck with it a bit and all they needed was some tactical familiarity and also for me not to judge them based off a few early bad performances. They drop in very consistently and in fact I really like all of the HB's movement without the ball at their feet, they cover for BPDs playing aggressively, don't put themselves in a position for wasteful long shots, a very nice role. But now my only problem is the Half-Back's "Dribble Less" instruction. I don't want them to dribble less! I want them to bring the ball out of defence! :mad:

6 hours ago, Beltsu said:

Are you looking for a DLP, with GK instructions to pass to him, and play from the back? 

This, make sure "Play Out From the Back" isn't selected.  Ask GK to Distribute to DLP in the DM strata and he will sit nicely in/behind the Central Defenders.

1 hour ago, Lordluap said:

This, make sure "Play Out From the Back" isn't selected.  Ask GK to Distribute to DLP in the DM strata and he will sit nicely in/behind the Central Defenders.

I thought that playing from the back, with distribute do DLP on the DM role would force the DLP to come closer to the GK. Am I wrong to assume that?

22 hours ago, Beltsu said:

I thought that playing from the back, with distribute do DLP on the DM role would force the DLP to come closer to the GK. Am I wrong to assume that?

This will make the DM/DLP  sit on the edge of the box with the Centre Backs either side of the box. This would work if it's what you want but I prefer having the Centre Backs higher up and the DM/DLP the deepest man when doing this.

Have a play around with both "Play Out Of Defence" selected and unselected and see which you prefer.

On 20/11/2022 at 20:26, jacob_m_mack said:

I've done Half-Back with default instructions in possession (only tackle harder), and Half-Back with shorter passing. Either way they keep getting the ball stolen from behind right in front of my goal. Maybe my players are just not very smart (it is League One after all).

I think you've just answered your own question to be honest. 

I mean, that's real life, right? Teams that play out from the back occasionally get caught in possession in uncompromising areas. I'm a Leicester season ticket holder and I've lost count of the amount of times I've torn my hair out watching the ball get fired in to Wilfred Ndidi's feet and seeing him get caught in possession because he's crap on the ball. 

Obviously the lower down the league structure you are and the less technically gifted your players are, you're going to run in to this occasionally. 

But, yes, the Half Back does largely what you're asking for. I've used it a lot this version (I know people have moaned about it in the ME in previous years but it seems fine now?) and gotten some good success with it.