[FM23] In Search Of The New "El Pibe De Oro"

Carambau

spacer.png

"On Thursday 20 October 1976, fans of Argentinos Juniors and a few traveling Talleres de Córdoba fans witnessed probably the most important debut in the history of Argentine football. With Argentinos losing 1–0 the manager, Juan Carlos Montes sent on a 15-year-old debutant named Diego Armando Maradona making him the league's youngest ever player until his record was broken by Sergio Agüero in 2003. Argentinos lost the game but Diego went on to propel the club forward over the next four years and to achieve great successes with other clubs and the Argentina national team. In the 1979 Metropolitano Diego became the youngest topscorer in the history of Argentine football with 14 goals, he went on to become top scorer in the following three tournaments, matching José Sanfilippo's record of being Argentina's topscorer on four consecutive occasions. " (source: wikipedia)

Edited by Carambau

11 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Sublime team choice! I used them for my tactical replication of Gian Piero Gasperini a while back. I fell in love with the idea of a save with the club after reading this article….

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47961674.amp

Hi @SixPointer ! Great to see you here :)

I had a similar experience before starting this save, but for me it was just their regular wikipedia entry which encouraged me to start a save with them. I have always adored Maradona (one of my first football experiences as a kid was seeing him get sent off against Brazil at the 1982 world cup), which might also be a factor here ;) 

spacer.png

Argentinos Juniors were a mostly mediocre club in the argentinian league in the 70s, or more a club threatened by relegation every season. After HE started playing for them in 1976, they started to improve year after year and managed to finish 2nd in the league by 1980. HE was sold to Boca in 1981 for the record fee of 1M, and the club was almost relegated in the following season, only saving themselves on the last day. The following years saw them finish in midtable positions. Then, all of a sudden they won the title in 1984, the "Metropolitano". This was due to the couragous attacking style of manager Roberto Saporiti. However, after the title win he was replaced by Jose Yudica, who had worked wonders with small clubs like Quilmes and San Lorenzo in the past seasons. This seemed like a match made in heaven. As argentinian champions, the club qualified for the 1985 Copa Libertadores. This is when their greatest hour came: They won the title 5:4 after a penalties against colombian club America de Cali. And this is when the decline began: They were relegated from the Primera Division in 1996 and have been switching between those two divisions since then. 

spacer.png

Now is the time to write history again. Joe Baxter takes over.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT THIS SEASON?

spacer.png

Last season the club finished 24th of 28 teams in the league table. However, in Argentina relegation is decided by the average points from the last 4 seasons. We luckily had two top 12 finishes during that time period so we were never in danger of going down. But we aim to finish much better this season. But this is not going to be easy when we take a look at our finances.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is not looking good. We had to load off players with high wages respectively loaned them out which we did to our best possibilities, but still the wages are at 236.609K. Our balance isnt looking good either. So there is even more pressure to do well this season. We need to perform to get the money in. And I guess there won´t be any new signings this season because of that.

Edited by Carambau

On 13/11/2022 at 12:32, Carambau said:

spacer.png

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT THIS SEASON?

spacer.png

Last season the club finished 24th of 28 teams in the league table. However, in Argentina relegation is decided by the average points from the last 4 seasons. We luckily had two top 12 finishes during that time period so we were never in danger of going down. But we aim to finish much better this season. But this is not going to be easy when we take a look at our finances.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is not looking good. We had to load off players with high wages respectively loaned them out which we did to our best possibilities, but still the wages are at 236.609K. Our balance isnt looking good either. So there is even more pressure to do well this season. We need to perform to get the money in. And I guess there won´t be any new signings this season because of that.

Screams give youth a chance which we know the club loves to do. 

spacer.png

PRE-SEASON 

spacer.png

Happy new year! The pre-season went ok for us, we still need time to gel but there are more positives than negatives there.

COMING UP

spacer.png

The Copa de la Liga will be played before the League season starts in July. There are two groups and the top 4 teams each qualify for the quarter finals. 

THE TEAM

spacer.png

We have a clear number one and a great prospect as well. Maybe we will get rid of Lanzillota soon.

spacer.png

Our defense seems pretty aged but never forget how valuable experience is.

spacer.png

Here we got our engine room. Rodriguez and Batallini really make the team tick. And there are some good talents like Lugo and Zalazar too.

spacer.png

In attack we have one experienced striker and two talented youngsters.

KEY PLAYER

spacer.png

Our playmaker. I wonder how long we can hold on to him until the big clubs from europe come calling.

THE TACTICS

spacer.png

We value a quick technical play.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

COPA DE LA LIGA & COPA ARGENTINA

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

We played 2 rounds in the Copa Argentina and prevailed in both, albeit very luckily. Both times the opponent was a so-called "smaller" club (although second division side Patronato de Parana are the current cup holders!), but we needed penalties in both matches to win. Nevertheless we made it through to the 7th round where we will meet Racing Club. That said, we played our reserve players in those 2 games so maybe that can serve as an explanation.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A convincing run in the Copa de la Liga for us. We manage to beat some of the stronger clubs on our way. 

spacer.png

It was rather surprising that we qualified for the next round...

spacer.png

...where we lost to Estudiantes after penalties. Good show, guys! It sure was way more than what we expected to achieve here.

TRANSFERS & FINANCES

spacer.png

More players leaving to ease our wage bill. And we got quite some transfer money in as well. In a surprise transfer, our backup keeper Lanzillota moved to Premier League side Newcastle United. Sadly, I seem to have jinxed it and Strasbourg snatched away our playmaker Alan Rodriguez! It was impossible to keep him at the club as he was already threatening us that he would go on strike if we blocked his transfer.

spacer.png

Despite the transfers and the cash injection our balance is still around 0.

spacer.png

The wage deficit decreased a lot but still is way too high.

TEAM NEWS

spacer.png

A lot of first team players, under the leadership of Torrén, were unhappy about the sale of our midfield maestro Rodriguez. We had to hold a team meeting about it and ...I wasnt very successful in appeasing them. Let us pray this wont backfire on our performance in the future. It is nice to see that I was able to convince at least 4 players and there is also Javier Cabrera who was on my side from the beginning. 

spacer.png

In come the young players! As players were leaving the club we had to bolster the squad with players from our reserve team. Gonzalo Siri is a fine goalkeeper with lots of potential. He will compete for the backup place behind our number one keeper Lucas Chavez with fellow youngster Miguel Acosta.

spacer.png

Matias Godoy had some great performances in his reserve games and he is developing well. Welcome to the first team squad, Matias!

YOUTH INTAKE 2023

spacer.png

A fantastic intake this year! The players are looking great, hopefully we can help them reach their potential.

spacer.png

The new pibe de oro

The Liga Profesional de Futbol season is about to begin. It´s going to be a real struggle to keep many of our players for longer than this season. We have to survive. 

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

FRIENDLIES & START OF LIGA PROFESIONAL DE FUTBOL 

spacer.png

Two draws and one convincing win in our pre-season friendlies, some improvement.

spacer.png

Another youngster from our reserves joins our first team squad to bolster our central defense. Dardo Torres impressed in the reserves, now he has to show this on a bigger stage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A great start to the league, We seem to play better away than at home though. Both wins were never in danger but we could havve lost the 3rd game easily. Quintana to the rescue!

spacer.png

We sit in 5th place. But there are still soo many games to play. Boca and River not having the best of starts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, the 7th round of the Copa Argentina went down and we qualified for the quarter finals by beating Racing at their home base. It was nice to see youngster Matias Godoy feature on the goalscorers sheet.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

A FANTASTIC MONTH

spacer.png

spacer.png

We started the month with 4 draws in a row (see previous post for the 1st draw in that series) but then something clicked. We butchered Central Cordoba with a hattrick from your young talent Matias Godoy 4-0 , went on to beat a strong Huracan side at their home, won our home game against Atletico Tucuman quite comfortably and defeated San Lorenzo away, with us leading 3-0 after 19 minutes already. Bringing in the young players from time to time surely paid out well, Godoy especially had an excellent game against Central Cordoba. We got the momentum now, we must keep it going.

spacer.png

We sit in 4th position with one game in hand which could see us go top. After a third of the season this is looking quite good for us. 

FINANCES & CO.

spacer.png

As we got some cash from the FA when the League started, I decided to ask the board for a bigger wage budget to ease our pressure and they surprisingly said yes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the first time in this save, we have a positive wage budget and our overall balance looks good too. We can build on that.

spacer.png

So the first thing we did was to extend our number one keeper´s contract, as it was running out at the end of the year. Glad we were able to keep him.

Edited by Carambau

A shame you couldn't enjoy more of Alan Rodriguez, I had him in a FM21 save and he was a lot of fun.

Regarding your search for the new Maradona, how are the club's youth facilities? Any chance of upgrading them for more promising youth intakes?

Nice to see you here, @Dereka :) 

Our facilities are indeed very bad, there is a lot of room for improvement! 

spacer.png

Sadly, by now our balance has gone into the red again and we can´t afford to do something there...

But this is the plan for the future for sure!

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

THE SLUMP

spacer.png

spacer.png

We failed to score in the first three matches of september. At least only one match was lost, against a dominant River Plate side. Against Estudiantes and Banfield we were lucky not to concede but we happily took those two points anyway. Against Rosario it was a much closer match but we lost it in the end thanks to a last-minute goal. Fortunately we found our scoring ways again in that match. Which paid out in the next game when we scored four goals against Racing to defeat them 4-2. A much needed win to close this month.

spacer.png

We fell down to 6th position. Still a good place for our standards.

CONTRACTS RUNNING OUT

spacer.png

At the moment, we don´t have the means to extend the contracts of 3 of our key players. Granted, Quintana will maybe retire after the end of this season anyway, but Batallini and Cabrera are two of the best wingers in the team. I just hope they won´t sign anywhere else until the season is finished and we get the League prize money shoveled onto our balance (which is as of now by -1.6M).

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

THE RESURGENCE

spacer.png

spacer.png

Six games this month, we managed to lose only one of them. Most of it were tight affairs with the better ending for us. We developed the strength to hold on to our lead once we score.

spacer.png

We find ourselves in 2nd place after a great october.

spacer.png

A THRILLING CUP QUARTER FINAL WITH A HAPPY END FOR US

spacer.png

We took the lead after 64 minutes but Zalazar got sent off a little later. With literally the last attack of the game, 2nd division side Gimnasia scored the equalizer. We held on with 10 men and reached the penalty shootout. Our first player missed but then everyone scored for us and we went on to win. We will meet Godoy Cruz in the semi finals.

Edited by Carambau

I played with Platense - some players had a clause that when you sell them 100% of the transfer money goes to them. For a club that is financially crippled with very big wages for players and a poor income … it wasn't ideal.  I gave up after 3 years as I couldn't replace the good players due to a lack of money. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Fantastic October! How are the younger players looking? Have you had to throw many in at the deep end? 

There are quite a few who are already playing regularly, like Matias Lugo (22) or striker Thiago Nuss (22), but they have been already part of the first team squad when I took over. Godoy is getting more and more games and benefits from it a lot, he could become a possible starter next season.  Zalazar, Benitez and Dardo Torres get some minutes too and they are doing well when getting on the pitch. Thing is, a lot of older players will leave after the season and thats the time when those youngsters will get a to play a bigger role :) 

1 hour ago, AllezAFC said:

I played with Platense - some players had a clause that when you sell them 100% of the transfer money goes to them. For a club that is financially crippled with very big wages for players and a poor income … it wasn't ideal.  I gave up after 3 years as I couldn't replace the good players due to a lack of money. 

Havent had that yet in my sales... sounds a bit unfair..

"a club that is financially crippled"? check :) 

spacer.png

HARD WORK, HARD WORK

spacer.png

spacer.png

Velez Sarsfield showed us that we still need to learn a lot. But we picked ourselves up after that, worked hard and won the two following games.

spacer.png

3rd position and three games to go. We could really pull up a sensation here.

spacer.png

LATE GOALS SECURE VICTORY

spacer.png

It was a tedious game, nothing really happened until the last few minutes, when we managed to break the deadlock via a penalty (VAR was right this time)  and score two late goals. We will face the big boys Boca Juniors in the final now.

Edited by Carambau

4 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

This in itself is quite a worry, what are you planning to implement to attempt to alleviate the problem? Any contingency plans? 

Not really a "plan" but I just hope that we get enough money from the FA after the season is over and that those players havent signed for any other club by then...

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

THE SEASON COMES TO A BITTERSWEET END

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, what can we say? We lost all of our remaining games. This made things more tense than I hoped...

spacer.png

...but in the end it was enough to finish in 6th place! This means we will start in the Copa Libertadores second qualification round next season. We are very happy with that outcome. Much better position than last year, although none of our players finished in the top ranks of the individual categories. There is no "I" in "Team" ;) 

spacer.png

AN OVERPOWERING OPPONENT

spacer.png

The board and the fans did not really believe in us having a chance in the cup final against Boca Juniors...

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and they were right. We never really stood a chance in the final as they made short work of us. At least we were able to score the odd consolation goal. Congratulations to the winners Boca Juniors!

SEASON STATS & AWARDS

spacer.png

It is hard to pick our best player this season: Maybe our keeper Lucas Chaves who more than once saved us from defeat, maybe Javier Cabrera who got the best average rating, maybe left back Lucas Villalba who got the most assists, or maybe our young striker talent Gaston Veron who scored the most goals? It is hard to tell, as this was a great team effort and everyone (except Gonzalo Siri) contributed. Youngsters Matias Lugo - who is already a mainstay in the team - , both wingers David Zalazar and Franco Benitez, above mentioned Gaston Veron and Matias Godoy did very well when called up. Godoys goal contribution is especially impressive: 8 goals & assists in only 16 games. Central defender Dardo Torres and striker Thiago Nuss at least showed glimpses of their talent. A lot of players will leave next season and more youngsters will join from our reserve/youth team. Interesting times here.

spacer.png

The fans have spoken.

YOUTH TEAMS

spacer.png

Our reserves win the league. A very dominant performance, showing a possible exciting future of our talents. Enzo Vlaeminch especially being a dominant figure.

spacer.png

Our U20s finish runners-up. Still a strong performance by the lads. And the top scorer (16 goals) is an Argentinos Juniors player: 16 year old Pablo Duarte.

Edited by Carambau

22 hours ago, Carambau said:

Not really a "plan" but I just hope that we get enough money from the FA after the season is over and that those players havent signed for any other club by then...

Plenty of opportunities to blood the youngsters, though!

spacer.png

TIME TO SAY GOODBYE

spacer.png

First of all: We were able to extend the contracts of two of the three above mentioned key players: Javier Cabrera and Damian Batallini signed new contracts after we received the prize money from the FA for finishing 6th. The third player was  Carlos Quintana, who decided to end his career, which leaves a big gap in our defense the youngsters will have to fill. Also, striker Gabriel Avalos left us but he didnt play a role anymore lately and we relegated him to the reserves at then end of the season anyway. The rest of the departures mostly come from there - or returning loan players who didnt make the cut- , so no big losses but at least some more ease on the wage budget.

FRESH FACES

spacer.png

The central midfielder is promoted from our reserve team where he had an impressive last season so we decided to give him a chance in the professional squad.

spacer.png

Another central midfielder. After a remarkable loan spell at Atletico Rafaela last season, he joins our squad to bolster to CM/DM position even more, as he can play both positions.

spacer.png

More attacking options with this young striker talent who returns after a loan spell at second division Ferro Carril Oeste, where he scored 13 goals in 37 games last season.

NEW GROUP, NEW LUCK

spacer.png

spacer.png

Our group for this season. Seems easier than last year but I could be wrong.

A TOUGH DRAW

spacer.png

spacer.png

This looks like a tough draw but there are still 2 matches to be played.

FRIENDLIES

spacer.png

Looking good, the youngsters gel well with the team.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

FRESH FACES

spacer.png

We needed to bolster our central midfield. In comes this young talent.

spacer.png

He joins from our reserve team.

spacer.png

The striker scored 16 goals in 42 games on loan at A. Tucuman last season. Now he is ready to join our first team.

spacer.png

Loans, loans, loans for our talents.

THE TEAM 2024

spacer.png

No changes in goal. 

spacer.png

Minissale is a good addition to our defense.

spacer.png

We needed more in the middle of the park and we got more. Our talent Godoy wanted to be loaned out so we loaned him out.

spacer.png

Coronel can hopefully live up to the expectations I have in him. And: I just noticed we only have Argentinians in the team.

KEY PLAYER

spacer.png

Having a good keeper pays half of the rent, they say. We have one.

COPA DE LA LIGA & COPA ARGENTINA

spacer.png 

spacer.png

We played 2 rounds in the Copa Argentina and prevailed rather easily in both. The next round will be played against Huracan during the League season, so more of that later.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A devastating run in the middle of the campaign. But we were able to pick us up again fortunately.

spacer.png

We again qualified for the knockout rounds. Good stuff.

spacer.png

Penalty shootouts seem to be our favorite thing...

spacer.png

...as shown again in the semi finals. 

spacer.png

But no penalties in the final. And also again, Boca are the much better team.

spacer.png

spacer.png

We began the campaign in style, beating favorites Botafogo 4-1 at home. Shocked, they could not come back from that defeat and we held on. America de Cali wasnt that big of an opponent in the next round and so we made it to the group stage. There, we met two Peruvian and one Argentinian team, which we all held off to finish top of the group.

spacer.png

Both Argentinian teams qualified. 

spacer.png

We will meet Brazilian heavyweights Internacional in July. But hey, we already beat Botafogo so no reason to be scared!

YOUTH INTAKE 2024

spacer.png

This intake is even better than last year! A real wave of new talents here!

The Liga Profesional de Futbol season is about to begin. And AGAIN, It´s going to be a real struggle to keep many of our players for longer than this season. We have to survive. 

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

THE LEAGUE BEGINS

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hey our first point against Boca! We celebrated a little - then we went on and beat Gimnasia. A good start.

spacer.png

25 games to go.

spacer.png

THE DREAM IS OVER

spacer.png

Internacional were always in control of the game. Our goal just "happened" as we were never a thread to their goal. The goal left us with a glimpse of hope...

spacer.png

...but the hope was crushed after already 22 minutes in the second leg. Zalazar scored 2 goals, thats the best we could take from that. See you next time. Hopefully.

NEWS

spacer.png

The board trusts me obviously. Good to know.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

A LONG MONTH

spacer.png

spacer.png

The month began awful - we conceded 8 goals in 2 matches. I dropped or left Central defender Minissale after the Godoy Cruz game and things went on to improve, climaxing in the unreal 7-0 victory against Racing. Zalazar will leave us after the season as he joins River Plate when his contract runs out.

spacer.png

2 games in hand, it is looking good for now.

spacer.png

THE CUP MATCH WENT TO PENALTIES...

spacer.png

This time we lose after penalties. Maybe this loss will benefit us in the league.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER

spacer.png

spacer.png

Batallini superstar! Our winger scores FOUR times against Newells Old Boys. A pity we won´t be able to extend his contract. Also nice to see Ovando score a hattrick against Platense to win us the game.

spacer.png

Second place, but the table is soo messed up.

FINANCES

spacer.png

I honestly have no idea how we can turn this around.

spacer.png

This adds more pain to it. Contract extensions? LOL

spacer.png

Our financial future is dark. And it gets darker.

Edited by Carambau

On 23/11/2022 at 23:10, SixPointer said:

More focus on the league can be a good thing. Any sign of a new DAM?

Sadly not. Our best prospect, Maldonado will join AS Roma after the season. We got no money to keep the talents any longer.

spacer.png

Edited by Carambau

12 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Looks like you really need a gem to come through which you can make a huge profit on to stop the plight 

It surely looks like that... the fees paid for our players by foreign clubs are not that high though... I will try to reduce the wage bill after the season by releasing high earning players and see if this helps anything. If not, I guess I will step down. 

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

A GOOD SEASON 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The last games of the season were a dream. We secured continental qualification and Coronel was out of control, scoring 8 times.

spacer.png

I guess you can call this season a success. A great 3rd place finish and qualification for the Copa Libertadores again. Coronel finishing up there with the best players. The future could be bright...

SEASON AWARDS & STATS

spacer.png

Well deserved.

spacer.png

Mateo Coronel carried the team with his goals and assists, same as Damian Batallini and Francisco Metilli. And Lucas Chaves. Matias Lugo was the marathon man in midfield, nearly playing every game. Bautista Kociubinski proved a vital new signing alongside him, as did Enzo Vlaeminch. Youngster Dardo Torres did a great job in central defense, together with fellow youngster Pablo Minissale. Attacker Lautaro Ovando did not play that much but he managed to score 7 goals. Talent Federico Redondo also contributed. Youngster of the season Franco Benitez (P23, G4, A10, 7.37) is not listed here anymore as he already had joined Boca Juniors in december. A lot of those players will leave the club now due to our financial constraints and we have to look ahead, not back.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

FAREWELL

spacer.png

We finally manage to get some cash out of our transfers. Sad to see Matias Lugo go, but there was no way we could decline that offer. 10.25M overall are quite a sum.

PLAYERS JOINING FROM OUR YOUTH TEAMS

Spoiler

spacer.png

The young backup keeper already has some caps for the Argentina U20 and joins from our U20 team.

spacer.png

He joins from our reserve team, but is out for around 8 months due to injury he got in the first training with us. I hope his attributes won´t decline that badly.

spacer.png

Another decent central defender talent. At 186 cm, he is a very good header.

spacer.png

He still got much to learn surely but we will let him.

spacer.png

The young right back already has some quite good physicals.

spacer.png

Another young right back.

spacer.png

He returns from his successful loan spell at Brown (Adr.).

spacer.png

Talented left back, who already go good stats in the right departments.

spacer.png

Young Brazilian central midfielder. A good technician indeed.

spacer.png

Very young deep lying playmaker with potential. The new pibe el oro? We have to wait.

NEW SIGNINGS

spacer.png

No transfer fees paid because thats what we do.

Spoiler

spacer.png

We needed an experienced left back and here comes Walter Perez.

spacer.png

A decent winger to bolster the midfield.

spacer.png

You can´t win the league with kids. He joins to lead the youngsters from the back.

spacer.png

Fighters in central midfield are always needed.

THE TEAM 2025

spacer.png

No big changes in goal. Paraba brings bags of talent. Maybe he will play in the cup games.

spacer.png

Emiliano Insua´s experience will be invaluable here.

spacer.png

New signing Martinez can definitely help on our wings.

spacer.png

Coronel all the way still. Although I guess he will help out on the wings too, just like Godoy.

KEY PLAYER

spacer.png

Our best player. Hopefully we can hold onto him.

spacer.png

spacer.png

New group, new adventures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Our opponents are more diverse than last season.

FINANCES

spacer.png

spacer.png

It does look good after we got the transfer money and the money from the FA. For now.

NEWS

spacer.png

LOL. **** off.

Edited by Carambau

spacer.png

FINALLY

spacer.png

spacer.png

Only two defeats in the group stage for us.

spacer.png

We qualified for the playoffs finishing 2nd.

spacer.png

Yes! We defeated our nemesis! A lucky win it was, but we don´t care!

spacer.png

Ovando out of control again and we are in teh final against Banfield!

THE FINAL

Spoiler

spacer.png

Time to celebrate!

spacer.png

It was nothing but hard work but in the end it paid off. We win the Copa de la Liga!

spacer.png

spacer.png

This time it was way harder and we only managed one win in the group stage.

spacer.png

We finish last and go out. Now we can concentrate on the domestic league.

YOUTH INTAKE 2025

spacer.png

Again, am excellent intake! That helps the club a lot!

• 2 weeks later...