how to get playmaking out of my AML?

Hoping to get some understanding regarding my AML constantly underperforming ? constantly getting 6.2 ratings. Completing 75% of his passes (while rest of team is mid 80s), avg 2 dribbles a game, rarely has key passes, 3 assists through 20 games, 1 goal. When looking at his completed passes it looks like that most of his passes are negative passes. Receives the ball around midline, but has almost zero involvement in the final third.

For PI I have him on stays wide, and then have toggled take more risk/direct passes/get forward more on and off with no noticeable change in his performance.  Have also briefly toggled with IF(s),

The tactic as a whole performs okay - biggest issue I think is getting promoted to EPL and poor recruitment so my squad isnt EPL level really. So I've tried to really only assess it vs bottom 5 teams.

Most of my goals have been coming from the DLF dropping deep and the CM(a) bursting through onto a through ball (either from the DLF or one of the fbs...) The IF(a) from the right has underperformed as well, mainly just not finishing 1v1s with the GK - but also hasnt been as dynamic as I would have liked with creating chances/dribbling at people (he also is maybe just failing at dribbles and they dont show up on comprehensive highlights)

I had debated doing an AP(a) in AML slot (in my head thats how neymar played a little bit? maybe? gets the ball and runs at people hoping to draw them out of position and then pass to someone else to finish?) but dont love that I would have all 3 front people on attack + the CM(a). 

Am currently 17th, am fine to grind out a season and have a better second season. I'm just not sure if the tactic is fundamentally flawed and thats why the AML (primarily) and the AMR are under performing or if I can chalk it up to just poor quality.

433 help.png

I think the obvious - but not necessarily actual - issue is that the IWs and the CMa are inherently trying to attack/play into the same space. I think the common consensus is to pair IWs' with either a holding player (DLP, APs, BWMd, CMs (hold position)) or a covering player (Mezzala, Carrilero, BWMs) - that way you don't end up with two players in the same space. I imagine that your IWs currently isn't given much space to move in, and as such probably ends up running into cul de sacs or just playing backwards/sideways passes, never really getting into threatening positions.

Maybe try changing your CMa to a MEZZa? That way you introduce some positional interchange on your left hand side. 

I often hear it mentioned that certain roles might be "attacking the same space". While it is true to some extent, I don't think you should focus on this. The CM(A) might arrive in a similar fashion at the same time occasionally as the winger, but it's fine, the pitch is big, sometimes it will happen sometimes not.

What might actually be worth checking out is your defending. It seems like you are trying to close down and be aggressive out of possession but on balanced and normal defensive line it is not going to work. Also you are using a defensive midfielder which is going to push deeper your line.

Let's stay with your DM. I think it is good that he is on support duty, he will be in better position to get the ball back higher up the pitch, but he is not going to engage the opponent if the line of engagement and def line is deep - which I think is on balanced. Max out the DL and LoE, you do not need anything else, maybe just the closing down. Check if you can maintain pressure in the opponent's half during matches. Check if you have a good base of pivot players when pressuring the opponent.

Edited by robot_skeleton

I think maybe it is better to use focus play left rather than focus through middle.  Focus play middle drag everyone(including yourself and opposition) to the middle, but you don't have anyone overlap on the sides.

Swap the CM A and CM S around and put the left back in a more attacking role. Put the CM s that will now be on the left on hold position or use a different role that can cover for the other 2 forward thinking roles on the left.

This should give your IW s more room to play in, provide a runner outside on the left that is going to drag players out of position and have a CM A/IF A (they wont clash to make direct passes into. He will also have the LCM to play a safe pass to if needed.

I personally like to use CM S with hold position and stay wider with an inverted winger and wingback. It creates a bit of an overload and the CM with stay wider creates even more room for the inverted winger to cut inside into.

I find AML and AMR underperform in a lot of tactical setups. It's hard to get them consistently scoring, especially if you give them support duties. I see a lot of popular FM streamers using two-striker narrow formations in FM22, probably for this reason. Strikers seem to have no problem playing off the shoulders of central defenders and central midfielders can attack the box from deep, but those AML/AMR guys can float through many consecutive matches without much production. I've had stretches where my inverted wingbacks score more than my inverted wingers.

But there is also the element of player form, which can undermine even the best tactics. if your AML is in a bad stretch of form, it could be for reasons beyond anything to do with your tactic.

@Overmars it’s precisely for this reason like what you have stated that i rather use ML/R than AML/R. Unless the stats are OP like salah, your AML/R will not really set things ablaze. Its seems that deeper roles have more involvement in build-up play and hence score more often. Like the reason craze over CM on attack by some FM youtube streamers. The CM consistently score so much than the AM on attack to the point where people now call the cm on attack the most OP role on fm22.