Club reputation (FM20)

Jorgen

Once in a while I am editing my FM20 database to make my own update. It is far from real as I transfer players to new clubs without looking at contract length or wages and the most interesting transfer rumours are happening in my db too ;) I found this list with a worldwide club ranking https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/world/1 I would like to edit the reputation of the first 200 or 300 clubs of that list to reflect this ranking in my game. FM has a 500 to 10000 scale. The highest team in this online ranking is Bayern at 2076.

First I thought, I would add 7200 to each score to get a FM rating, but lots of teams score far too high then.
Then I tried to multiply it by 4 (which would give bayern a 8300-ish score which is pretty low for Bayern and this also would result in getting far lower ratings for high rep teams too soon
I could multiply by 5 which would give too many teams a score that is above or near 10.000
Perhaps a 4.5 multiplier gives better ratings.

So my question to the experienced editors is this: how do you decide the reputation of a team in FM? What source do you use, or what kind of multiply factor would you use for decent, realistic reputations?

Edited by Jorgen

Moved to main editors forum (no download)

With regard to your question, why not take say 20 teams and compare their reps in the list and create a calculation from there. Using just one to compare and base the calculation gives an indication. Using more gives a route.

@Wolf_pd hanks for moving this topic

So, let's say I take the number 1, 10, 20, 30, 50, 100,150, 200, etc from the list and see how their ingame reps compare to the list.

# → Club → ingame rep → list points → new game rep (when * 4,5)

1 → Bayern → 9100 → 2076 → 9342

10 → Milan → 8250 → 1846 → 8307

20 → Benfica → 8150 → 1797 → 8087

30 → Red Star Beograd → 6450 → 1749 →  7871

40 → PSV Eindhoven → 7250 → 1721 → 7745

Red Star had a bit of an update from 6450 to 7871 but after a few good years such a rise could be possible
there are however clubs a bit further down the list that see a rise of 2500 rep points

From what I have seen so far, the first 50 teams or so, will get an even amount of increase / decrease
Teams from nations with lesser reputation will rise really hard

So perhaps "points * 4,5" is not the way to do it. Or, I should think of a max amount of lets says say 500 points increase/decrease, to even it a bit out

11 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Is there a maximum score for that site? You could just use that a basis to switch it to the 0-10000 scale. eg, if the max rating is 2200 then Bayern's 2076 score would be 94.36% of the maximum, so give them 94.36% of 10000 for a score of 9436.

I haven't found it yet, but there might be

I did find this https://footballdatabase.com/methodology
and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings#Basic_calculation_principles

I really don't know if there is a point cap or not. In chess there is no point limit

@Prokopije That is a very good idea. I didn't think of that. Where does SI themselfs get those reps from?

I've done about 200+ teams already, so only if FM22 gets a lot better scores, I think I will keep it like this for now.

Seems like (WorldFootballDatabase) * 4,5 was a pretty decent idea. Ofcourse, you will see teams that have a score that goes down 1000 points, or goes up 2500 points, but most teams stay within the 500 range or even 250 range.

These are the reputations so far:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you guys think?

Could someone make a screenshot of the FM22 reputations for me?

Edited by Jorgen

I have done around 700 teams and lot of them are between the 500 range up or down. Some have really gone up or down a lot, but I think it was a pretty decent guess to choose * 4,5

Now I'll start a game and see if it has a more interesting level of competiton from clubs outside the traditional top 5 leagues, or even outside of Europe