Wingers and Inv. Wingers, Advanced or Middle

I cannot seem to understand the behavior of a winger/inv. winger when it's an advanced one or in the midfield. I understand that one of them starts in a more advanced position, but I'm not sure if the advanced one will get furter forward or they both get to same finishing relative spot, only that one of them has to cover more distance. And of course, what would be implication of using each one if the only change in the system is the starting spot.

18 minutes ago, lozzny said:

I cannot seem to understand the behavior of a winger/inv. winger when it's an advanced one or in the midfield. I understand that one of them starts in a more advanced position, but I'm not sure if the advanced one will get furter forward or they both get to same finishing relative spot, only that one of them has to cover more distance. And of course, what would be implication of using each one if the only change in the system is the starting spot.

I wish there was a guide that showed the exact movements of all roles offensively and defensivly in all mentalities. 

I've never seen any difference between wingers playing in the midfield strata and the attacking midfield strata when it comes to movement with the ball or when your team is in possession, they dribble down to the byline and move in the same spaces regardless of starting position.

Where it does make a difference is in defending, the lower starting position gives a much better opportunity to be involved defensively.

I used to think they were the same, but in FM21 I started seeing that the wingers in midfield stayed wider for longer than wingers in attacking midfield. I'm not sure whether FM22 has changed so much or not, but now i find it harder to notice. For example, below I'll show the common settled positions of a 433 (wingers) and a 4141 (wingers)

433 (21 & 7)

140502096_433wingers.PNG.09c5403424cc5e69e330b22d6388b2c4.PNG

4141 (10 & 7)

1645443605_4141wingers2.PNG.1114ba8a76d642574df137729c1e3f33.PNG

Hopefully you can see the differences. Obviously this is just a screenshot, and there will be times when the midfield wingers will come narrow and times where the attacking midfield wingers will stay wider, but based on my own observations, and also based on touch maps (from limited data) I'm convinced that midfield wingers stay wider in the FM 22 ME. I'm happy to debate about it though, because i'm not 100% i'm correct, and it's an important to get right, since you'll need to know if you want overlapping wingbacks to provide width or not. So I hope this thread gets more attention

It would make sense though, since wingers in attacking midfield are still essentially forwards, and may be expected to score more goals and support the striker, which forces them to come narrower in the final third.

Edited by Jack722