[FM22] Headed Ooop North To Where There's 4000 [Black]Holes...Just Hope I Don't Crash And Burn - Humble Beginnings At Weymouth FC, Book 3: Blackburn Rovers FC

anagain

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/05/2022 at 22:13, Sheriff7 said:

Some normal results there.Still in your first season in this division you are in a very good place.;)

Early form is starting to tail off, but I think we're doing fine. We've scored top 2 and conceded top 6. Sometimes the way it goes in FM, :)

On 07/05/2022 at 16:04, BristolCity1992 said:

Nice updates again. Scrimshaw doing the goods. 

Thanks. Scrimy's done well, yes, but he's started to get a little bigheaded. More later. :)

December 2024 - Getting Back To Our Best

Before we get on to the football this month I've seen my name get circulated quite a bit this month. This has led to press speculation that I am linked with a number of jobs at teams in this league. Middlesbrough, Swansea and Reading to name three. There is also one other club that aren't currently below us in the table, and a club I would have to think seriously about moving to should an offer come in.

Fulham. Currently bottom of the Premier League.

04_Rikson_Fulham_spec_1224.png.5f7e2505594e9cbf353c6533a0a47afd.png

Could I just get Wycombe to the Premier League though? I'd wager it unlikely but our form is back to its best as we head in to a new year.

image.png.32e634d7ba1844321c97aaa7469b0d04.png

After the thrashing by Watford it took a while for us to get back to our best. Three draws against Reading, Wimbledon and Huddersfield were dull affairs and I wondered if we'd ever get back to our goalscoring best.

We achieved that in the second half of our next game, at West Brom, with McDonagh and Ejaria finally getting us going again. McDonagh would again hit the net in our next two games, at Bristol City and home to Wimbledon. I really wanted us to prove something at home to the Dons. We'd been poor when we travelled to Plough Lane and we started in similar fashion as one the Championship's relegation favourites opened the scoring after 11 minutes. McDonagh got us back on terms with his 11th goal of the campaign right before half time. Aaron McDonagh is really proving his ability and is going to be a huge star. He has been dubbed the next Michael Owen and if I can be just a small part in helping him achieve greatness than that will make me happy.

Our other most reliant goal scorer had a less happy month. Jake Scrimshaw got our third against Wilbledon but is currently on a sulk after rejecting a contract offer from me. The poacher wanted a new contract that would "reflect the quality he has" but we failed to agree terms. I've already increased our wage budget by £20k, at the expense of transfer budget, and we do need to be careful. Jake needs to realise that.

Our fourth against Wimbledon was a debut goal from a young man who has had to be patient for his start. It was a brilliant moment for Will Andiyapan as he rose highest to head home Jack Sparkes' corner late in the game. I must mention that Sparkes had been fantastic against Wimbledon too. He is another man that has had to be patient but his performance against the Dons has made me think.

image.thumb.png.b11d2e3b92df20a242b7e89b8e7d6e75.png

Another of my players with transfer news attached to his name this month was center back Jamie Hamilton. Jamie has been fantastic since he joined us and it has been rumoured that many top clubs are to be offering money for his services in the upcoming transfer window. Jamie has a release clause of £4.4m and many are expecting that to be offered. We shall have to see.

Three wins in a row have seen us back up to third in the Championship at the turn of the year. We'll just have to keep hold of our stars if we want to stay there.

image.png.aab05e1c70c4b27cba794c1381988e97.png

January 2025...

We have one very huge game in January that I wanted to get in before I spoil it with our fixtures.

04_Wycombe_FACup3_2425_ManC.png.c198a17f0e0e0a9e668339cd3c581469.png

Yes, our opponents in the FA Cup Third Round are eight time English champions and current European Champions Manchester City. I don't fancy our chances but we'll do our best. Ironically. I'd rather the game was to be played in Manchester for the money. Our projection is not great, and I don't believe it is down to me raising the wage budget either. In reality, we're still a small club that are playing above our level.

image.thumb.png.e28a1b2d0a5920a6a8146c5df6234213.png

But, the fixtures. This will not be an easy month and we'll need to keep defying media predictions.

image.png.47118d71fa83c4a7fb69d4c80912c25f.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Our FA Cup opponents Manchester City are the form team in the top division and they top the league by five points at the end of 2024. Eight games without losing are the key to this for City, but Arsenal are the form team in the league as the Gunners find themselves on a thirteen game unbeaten run currently but draws have kept them 6th.

Bournemouth won two of their December games to see the club end 2024 in 14th place in the Premier League. A fantastic 3-1 win over Brentford was a key victory, Patson Daka scoring his fifth and sixth league goals of the season for the Cherries.

image.png.bc0ed8fbfa6224f2aabd2d863ab7f6ad.png  image.png.7e063132e16584188b54dd5d36619956.png

European Leagues

The end of 2024 sees Bayern Munich a massive (for the Bundesliga) six points behind Dortmund and, equally surprising, PSG are four points behind Monaco. Celtic are flying in Scotland and Bravo lead this month's guest league, Slovenia's Prva Liga, by four points. Nice to see Koper, a team I have managed twice in my FM history, up there in fourth.

image.thumb.png.1a37d5a9d5044ba341e33d7a86335aaa.png

European World Cup Qualifiers

The draw was made to decide Europe's representatives at the 2026 World Cup in USA, Mexico and Canada on 31st December. All games will take place in 2025 with the top teams qualifying for the finals. That makes ten teams so I presume any other qualifiers will come from play offs involving the second placed teams. Indeed, it seems the top six second placed teams will qualify.

image.thumb.png.b2e8a4063fe8d6b0e3090fce016f0f42.png

Other Qualifying Regions

CONMEBOL

Brazil and Uruguay have already qualified for 2026. They will be joined by four other teams whilst a fifth will enter a play off by finishing seventh. Peru, Colombia, Argentina and Paraguay look odds on to automatically qualify. Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and Chile have had a terrible first twelve games and will battle it out for the play off spot.

image.png.dc177cc08fbb76d8e0bacffbcd8fbdcb.png

CONCACAF

There appears to be four qualifiers to come from North America and with USA, Canada and Mexico already qualified there are high chances that someone new will make the Finals. Things are currently at the Second Round stage with 12 teams set to make the Third Round groups. I think Costa Rica, Panama and Jamaica may make the Third Round automatically, but I may be wrong.

image.png.5a6a81f9b6d562d9b83e559fc64c9d7f.png

Africa

Things are at the Third Round group stage in Africa with the six group winners set to go to the World Cup. Furthermore, three more second placed teams will also qualify. A fourth second placed team will enter play offs. More later, when matches are completed.

Asia

The final round of Asian qualifiers is nearly half way. Eight teams will qualify automatically and two will enter a play off. There will be some new teams at the 2026 World Cup.

image.thumb.png.701d7eda70bb888c5fb174f0f70deda6.png

Oceania

There looks to be one qualifier from Oceania. Four teams will be drawn from the OFC Nations Cup and a knockout competition is helf to find the lucky team. Early days.

Former Club Watch

Weymouth faired a little better in December. A Boxing Day loss sees the Terras in 10th in the National League South. The team had grabbed seven points from games against Kingstonian, Havant and Chesham and won their FA trophy Third Round tie against Basingstoke.

Surely the Terras can find their way back to promotion contention?

image.png.dcb56d18d4ad5a8a2a2f6744d908baf9.png

image.png.811f538e70af0eb7b60eb9c2c5504eb4.png

Edited by anagain

• 2 weeks later...

Little update in case anyone is reading or awaiting the next installment.

I've not had much interest in hitting that play button for FM the last couple of weeks. I've been enjoying a few other games. At times I think I have the interest but when it comes to pushing play I think otherwise.

Sure I'll be back at some point before October. Tempted to start a new career is Asia with some add on leagues. Vietnam maybe.

This career isn't dead though - just on hold.

Bored Call Me GIF by Aardman Animations

• 2 weeks later...

January 2025 - Faltering Steps

January proved to be a tougher month against tougher teams and it saw us slip down the table a little. THisd was also the month of our big FA Cup tie against Manchester City. We performed admirably but it wasn't to be.

On a personal note, despite all the attention I had received for my services, only Blackpool sought out those services with the ofer of an interview in January. I turned this down.

image.png.0d166cc63972e4ab007730ebc8f761f5.png

First up was QPR and a poor display that surprisingly only saw us lose to a late Lyndon Dykes penalty. We then claimed our only win of January a few days later with a good win over Wigan that saw McDonagh score an excellent brace to take his season's goal tally to 14. This victory put us in a good frame of mind for our big cup tie a week later. We'd need all the luck we could get.

FA Cup Third Round

City honoured us by bringing a good team to Adams Park on a rainy day. On the field were Ruben Dias, Declan Rice, Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Stirling, Erling Haaland and Phil Foden and it was Haaland and Rice that got the goals to beat us. Keiran O'Hara was our best player and the Irishman made a number of great saves to keep the score down.

image.thumb.png.4f2b6ef13a29f6caed73ab7ee7556e91.png

It was a great test to face City and we gained £275k from the tie, a new gate receipts record for the club.

image.png.930c4da25d96ff0e18e8a19ab43341c4.png

Back in the Championship, the end of January didn't get any easier as we faced Sheffield United and Norwich over two weekends. We were 3-0 down to Sheffield in half an hour. Our second half performance was better but we got just a consolation from McDonagh. Against Norwich we were much better but fell to a tight defeat to a Canaries side that have underperformed all campaign.

As January ends we find ourselves fourth, six points behind joint leaders Stoke and QPR. Stoke have been in great form under Carlos Vicens and have had pundits applauding their football. It's bad news for us. We face them next.

image.png.77c39d5bfef199f7220250b7b48feb8f.png

January Transfer Window

I didn't expect to do any business in this window. I am happy with my squad and would like to keep my players. We're performing way above expectations so I see no reason to spend more money than we really have on players we don't need. The goal is just avoid relegation and I'd honestly be happy with a mid table finish, despite our good start.

As it turned out we saw just one bid and that was an insulting £48k for Jordan Marshall. It was a no brainer to turn that down and we saw out the window with just one future transfer sorted. That transfer will be a goodbye to a great servant for this club. Ryan Tafazolli will be joining MLS club Colorado Rapids in July. Tafa has spent five years here and made over 150 appearances. He is 33 now and in the twilight of his career. With so many great young center backs at the club I saw no reason to intervene and hold Tafa back. He will go with my best wishes and thanks from all Wycombe fans.

image.png.8db4a603893ae7b0d996bcde7f699d23.png

image.png.92de75759692b087e06b025a15a60f36.png

Watford were the biggest spenders in the window, bringing in Korean midfielder Kang-In Lee for £25.5m from Mallorca and Max Ullmann from Brugge for a fee rising to £5.25m. Watford will be dangerous as they push for promotion. Underperformers Norwich bought just Jacob Greaves, a center back from Brentford whilst letting go of six players. Are the Canaries content to stay in the league?

Stoke's title charge will be be aided by the loan signing of Antonio Carlos Braga from Manchester City whilst QPR's money was spent on youngsters.

At the bottom, Ipswich splashed out just £20k to bring in five players. Sonny Perkins, on loan from West Ham, will be the most dangerous of these players.

The top English transfer of the window was that of Sander Berge who moves from Shaktar to Arsenal for £72m and Arsenal were the biggest spending, shelling out a huge £199m for five players.

At the end of the window the numbers for wage expenditure in the Championship makes for interesting reading. In short, we're a bit behind. It makes it all the more wondrous how well we are doing.

And how well below expection Norwich are doing.

image.png.802571cc693f47e23510fc7f7dff4e16.png

February...

image.png.45b05b06a0d63dfb74c493c84dbfb779.png

Ties against Stoke and early front runners Sunderland will be a tough start to February. Preston, Blackburn and Forest will not be easy but I'd be hopeful of a win over bottom of pile Ipswich. Hopefully we can get back to winning form and maintain our place in the play off pack.

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

January sees Manchester City pulling away to a six point gap over Liverpool. Four goals for Haaland and three from Sterling have been key to this hold on the lead.

Manchester United's poor form over the past few seasons has continued with the Reds losing to and drawing with Brighton to find themselves struggling in 7th place. United also lost in the FA Cup, to Villa, and the semi-final of the League Cup, To Chelsea.

For Bournemouth it has been mostly good. January saw wins over Brighton and Arsenal twice. The Cherries have moved up to twelth in the league.

image.png.a65b5a196eb279fdb43541d374368904.png  image.png.ef17fcc2600421f6b0d03ff13093acdc.png

European Leagues

Bayern are still behind Dortmund in the Bundesliga but have come back to just a point behind their rivals now. In France, PSG are now down to third, behind Monaco and Lyon. In this month's guest league it is a close run thing for FC Kobenhavn and Midtjylland in the Danish Superliga.

image.thumb.png.b3aa73ef43bc0013ebf42f19665a67f7.png

European Club Competition

The Group Stages are completed and we have the draws for the knockout rounds in this season's three European competitions.

Champions League

image.thumb.png.15382dda6195618c33f260045f65b8cd.png

Europa League

image.thumb.png.102549ffa9560fbe8746157ae745740e.png

Europa Conference League

image.thumb.png.0c1eabbe193d5109d920551e5a19800a.png

Former Club Watch

Things are not great for Weymouth in the Conference South. Form has been mixed and the club are outside the play off spots.

Things need to get better from manager Danny Thorpe in February.

image.png.3819d65a2c6497c93a545e34d5bd772e.png

image.png.31b62ec757d25e52dd081fa0116488e0.png

Home town club Poole are on a very good run of form. The Dolphins lost to just Chesham in January and have risen to 19th in the league.

It's good to be back.

Bender Im Back GIF

• 2 weeks later...

February 2025 - Creaking, But Still Defying The Odds

Going in to February we knew we'd start to feel the strain. We'd had a marvellous half a season but knew our small, cut-price squad would surely feel the pressure soon. Playing top of the table Stoke in the first game of the month would be the tester.

It turned out to be a great month.

image.png.66ece364d46a7126fb0b6bc75dab2a5a.png

Aaron McDonagh scored his 15th goal of the season - and the first of five in February - early against Stoke to give us a marvellous platform. The Potters controlled this match throughout and the pressure told mid way through the second when substitute Lezcano made an instant impact to fire Stoke level. We held though for a great point.

It was a similar game against a Sunderland side that have been there or therabouts all season. Ejaria gave us the lead early in the second half before a late equaliser earned Sunderland a point.

Our two toughest games of the month were out of the way and we continued the month with two good wins over Preston and Ipswich - Caleb Watts and Leif Davis scoring their first goals of the season along side two more from McDonagh.

Next up were two challenging games, away at play off chasing Blackburn and then the welcome of Forest. We found ourselves 2-0 up within half an hour against Blackburn but Rovers put on a great display in the second half to nick a point. It was hard to take but I can't fault the effort of the lads. I would have taken a point, if I was brutally honest.

image.thumb.png.48b4d5ca8743a0da94fff5c92092901d.png

Overcoming the disappointment of the Blackburn game, we ended February with a fantastic win over the six-game unbeaten Forest. To be fair, Forest could have been home and dry in a first half they dominated but Egbo's wonderful cross right at the death found the head of McDonagh to head us level. Could the old football cliche of scoring right before half time work for us? You could say it did turn the tables. The second half was more even and the football Gods granted us luck late in the game as we earned a penalty. Surprising me, Nya Kirby forced his way forward to take the kick in his first game in a while. Let it happen, I decided, and Nya thumped the ball home to seal a lovely turnaround win.

image.png.02a0bd15efceb914a84654d48b02abae.png

March...

We're in to the run in now, with just 12 games left in this stunning season. Possibly Stoke and Watford are heading up but can we hold on for a play off place?

image.png.02016504db91c9b411c1464ff84fb65b.png

Only Millwall and West Brom are realistically chasing promotion and all of March's games are winnable. Are months like this the ones that ruin hopes though? Do the wheels fall off in an easier month or do we march on?

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Manchester City managed only three draws in February and Chelsea are the new Premiership leaders. Thirteen points from five matches have taken the Blues to the top of the pile, though they have played a game more than City. It could have been worse for City if a 90th minute goal had not stolen them a point away at Burnley in a 3-3 draw.

AFC Bournemouth are on a march. Two wins this month have seen the Cherries up to tenth. The south coast club are into the FA Cup 5th Round too. Tony Mowbray is pulling punches. I'm sure many thought he wouldn't be the man.

image.png.a82696b9c85a687f52f8e2c02d4e53f5.png  image.png.307f9f99f3a73fb28e3d6d4456f66b38.png

European Leagues

It is still a chasing game for Bayern in Germany as they're still a point shy of Dortmund. In France, PSG have slipped to five points shy of pack leaders Lyon. Is a shock on the cards? Real Madrid, Juventus, Celtic and Ajax almost have their leagues tied up. The same is looking likely for Salzburg in this month's guest league, the Austrian Bundesliga.

image.thumb.png.941883e53976653bf26048b03c46a3ea.png

African Cup Of Nations 2025

Early February saw the final of the African continent's major international tournament between Ghana and Nigeria. With 120 minutes unable to seperate the teams, the match went to penalties. What ensued was a mammoth battle of wills over 31 penalty kicks. Wilfred Ndidi suffered the bitterest pill as he missed his second spotkick and Emmanuel Gyasi stepped up to score the winning penalty and give Ghana the trophy.

image.png.9eb41b7079976c6eff7f9e8f5a527aea.png

Former Club Watch

For Weymouth it was another uninspiring month that sees the team still down in tenth in the National League South. They lost in the FA Trophy too, so there'll be no cup glory.

image.png.da3e3d991e6913cf12da055ba63cd328.png

image.png.b65d8e4d60a34a97191e6d8c72ef8dfb.png

With ten points now seperating the Terras from the play offs there will need to be a huge improvement in performances or another season in the National League South will beckon.

Poole Town have continued their good form and are now in 18th, eight points clear of the drop.

Edited by anagain

• 2 weeks later...

March 2025 - Can We Play At Home Every Week, Please?

Any thoughts of a title challenge are probably gone after a mixed month of March. Blackpool won't relish meeting us again, and Watford may just be wondering what happened. Boro and Barnsley will be very happy.

image.png.75e4bf08cff5cc91ede35f19d3ad382e.png

March started so well, with a 5-1 thrashing of Blackpool, a team whom, if you recall, came up with us last year. Aaron McDonagh continued his fine year with a hattrick but Jack Sparkes was my hero as he came on and changed the game. We had taken the lead early through McDonagh but were failing to find a winner. Riley Owen wasn't getting in to the game and I decided to throw Sparkes on in the 68th minute. 15 minutes later Jack had a brace and we were firmly in control of the game. Sparkes had ignited and it opened the floodgates.

image.png.9ef7a07b7cd045a4fedeadf743b13e9e.png

Jack Sparkes had been in my mind as an occaisonal sub to replace tired legs when I started this season but the winger/full back has done great when called upon. He was loan listed in January but changed my mind with his performances.

The above all prompted me to start Jack in our next game in Middlesbrough but as is often the case a player couldn't follow up a great game with a second great game. We were poor at the Riverside and fell to a humbling 3-0 defeat to a side under new management and underperforming in this year's Championship. Things didn't get much better with a dull 0-0 against Pompey. We were up against Watford next and I feared the worst.

I needn't have feared. The boys pulled a great win out of the bag in the way minnows so often can do against firm favourites. Riley Owen scored our winner midway through the second, finally coming good after a few poor games.

I hoped we could take confidence from the Watford victory to win away at Barnsley but fell to another humbling defeat to the play off chasing side that were so much better than I had expected them to be. Cauley Woodrow destroyed us down the right. Could he finally solve my long term failure at finding a steady right winger? He's 30 but a possibility. He's also on a huge wage that I'm not sure Wycombe can match.

Or could we? Some news to come...you'll have to wait.

After that mixed month we're down to fourth and have become the target of a chasing pack. Watford and Stoke are faltering but I really don't think we can overturn them.

image.png.e83220e7ff187ccf388b4b159260fce2.png

April...

Seven games to go. Five of those are in April. I'd like to see us buck last month's poor form away from home with games at Huddersfield and Millwall. Surely we can beat Luton, Swansea and West Brom at home? Only West Brom, of those three, have slim hopes of the play offs. Swansea are battling a drop down to the third tier.

image.png.8dadc3feb60cb72a615d6233153e864c.png

That News?

image.png.eb33282a777da35310761f3da5e39c02.png

I finally hit 200 games in management. A nice personal milestone.

But, you didn't think that was it, did you?

image.png.a921e37cd9582584af37c9713f86c775.png

It's not talk of a takeover but if Couhig leaves does that leave room for someone to come in with some money? Does it leave us without money and having to cut wages in a big way?

I really don't know what to expect.

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Manchester City have blown Chelsea away in March to find themselves eight points clear at the top of England's pyramid. City won three out of three whilst Chelsea could only manage a point home to Brentford. The Blues lost 2-1 to Spurs in their other game and Liverpool have closed the gap to just one point despite losing to West Ham.

Liverpool also got one over on their London rivals at Wembley in the League Cup Final. Mo Salah missed a penalty for the Reds but goals from Keita and Adeyemi edged the game in favour of the Merseysiders.

For Bournemouth, a mixed month kept the Cherries with an outside hope of Europe in 10th. Wide memn Ryan Christie and Grady Diangana are the key men for Mowbray's Cherries. Diangana has 8 goals and 5 assists where as Christie has 5 goals and 7 assists.

image.png.de42aa7c8aab981a23ef9a3041093868.png image.png.c22c504fa4a8f78bd335351a38f8eaf1.png

European Leagues

It is still neck and neck in Germany and will surely go down to the wire between Dortmund and Bayern. In the other European league upsetting the odds we still find PSG languishing a little behind Lyon. Ferencvaros are storming away in March's guest league; the Nemzeti Bajnokság I of Hungary. The title is surely theirs.

image.thumb.png.5148d7d8c8ecb669a65d06dcd561c0ef.png

Internationals

It was a good month for England as they won two games in the World Cup Qualifiers European Group E. Of course, had they not beaten Gibraltar and Luxembourg there would have been questions. Harry Kane scored his 83rd England goal as part of a hattrick versus Luxembourg.

It was bad news for Scotland and Northern Ireland. The Scots suffered at the hands of Belgium whilst Northern Ireland lost to Slovakia.

Former Club Watch

Weymouth finished March unbeaten but are still seven points shy of the play off spots in the National League South. Weymouth can only hope to keep winning in April and push for the play off spots.

image.png.c3257ce444ed9fc23c0a44536f4c0881.png

image.png.271bbd0e81bc78305c70f80f0433df6c.png

In losing to Weymouth, Poole find themselves just two points clear of the last relegation place. Nervous times for the Dolphins.

~~~

My record in those 200 games?

image.png.1c46cc2fdff1c4bd856aa24ad50d35fa.png

Not too bad.

12 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Great work in Championship.And your general stats looks very promising.;)

Thanks. Enjoying the save at the moment. Don't play as much as I did early FM22 release but that's probably helpful. ;)

Too hot to do much for me so might try and finish the season today.

• 2 weeks later...

April/May 2025 - Forcing Our Way Over The Line

April

I had said it didn't look like we could make automatic promotion. That didn't prove quite so certain through much of April, but whatever the outcome a play off spot was ours to lose. Watford had a poor April and found themselves slipping back in to the pack. The Hornets lost 3-1 at home to Stoke midway through April and that left the door open for one of the chasers to steal their spot in the automatic places. At one point we looked like doing just that.

image.png.f797d778c9012a15bc1dcfdb41579308.png

It didn't start well, however, as we lost at home to Luton in a game we were never really in. The only good news was the scoring return of Jake Scrimshaw. If truth be told, Jake hasn't played anywhere near as much as he'd have liked. Ovie Ejaria's form had been poor though and I decided to give Jake a chance.

Jake truly thanked me for the chance in our next game at Millwall. We'd started okay but had lost impetus in the second half, allowing Millwall an equaliser and a way back in to the game. I geed the team up and Scrimy delivered with a fifteen minute hattrick to win us the game.

image.png.94366c445c58a053e29e1568a711259a.png

We followed up the good win over Millwall with a 3-0 demolition of Swansea. This win occured at the same time as Watford were losing to Stoke and left us as close to automatic promotion as we had been for some time. QPR and Blackburn were in the race too.

04_Championship_promotion-runin_2425.thumb.png.201303f61ece22a8c0c14e522a079b92.png

Of course, we threw away any chance of that second spot with two frustrating draws to end of the month. In a case of taking the positives, we should probably have lost to Huddersfield but snatched a point. In a dramatic finish to the game we thought we had hung on for a point when Smail Prevljak scored his second of a game in which he bossed us throughout. Queue the re-emergence of Scrimshaw again though as the young striker pounced with a leveller just two minutes later.

Our game plan against West Brom was then ruined as Stanislas collected two yellow cards to allow our opponents right back in to the game. We held on for a point when we probably shouldn't have.

The bigger picture at the end of April was that we needed just a point from two games in May to secure a play off spot. We wouldn't catch second though.

The world of football is never kind though. As well as losing Stan for at least a game in May we would be without Scowen and the overperforming Sparkes too. With Denis Adeniran on his way back from injury we were light a ball winner. Scott High would have to prove his versatility.

04_Wycombe_Scowen_Sparkes_Inj_25425.png.8de72c21b083419962d18d51db26f130.png

May

An uninspiring draw with Reading gave us the point we needed to secure a play off spot and that left us nothing to play for in the final gameagainst Bristol City. I decided to give Cieran Slicker a game, and rest O'Hara before the play offs. That proved to be an inspired decision as Slicker kept us in the game with some great saves.

However, a safe win, courtesy of a brace from Scrimy, sent us to 76 points at the end of the season. That is a club record finish and sends us in to the play offs. If we were to secure promotion to the Premiership it would surely be the most incredible underdog story of all time.

image.png.4b1c1f71795453a612191bfaa053f7cf.png

image.png.d726a72bdd86f9523a295dfcb39df3e5.png

That just leaves the play offs; two semi finals to decide the participants in what is dubbed "the richest game in football". Can we be in it? We'll have to get past QPR first, and we haven't beaten them.

image.png.834656d50dd6ec10ccfc14b5b22e96f7.png

More on the play offs in another days report, and more on the final state of play across England and Europe then too.

Can we do the unthinkable and reach the Premier League? Find out soon.

RL: I did intend to finish this over this weekend and write it all up as one, or maybe two entries, together. My body has rebelled and I'm not well though. I'll be back when I have more energy for a longer session.

Championship Play Offs - Season 2024/2025

Semi-Final First Leg - Tuesday, 20th May 2025, 19:45

image.png.289a946ebb267ce0ea505181e2515fa0.png

With both teams bizarrely in their change kits we started well against Rangers. With 25 minutes gone the ball broke from midfield for Riley Owen to slot on to. The young winger took his time and placed the ball calmy past Seny Dieng in the QPR goal.

image.png.0d913de9cded221f3b936b846629406b.png

Sadly, the lead didn't last long and QPR levelled with a stunning effort from the left of the box by Andy Rinomhota. Following a Rangers free kick a period of head tennis found Rinomhota in acres of space on the edge of the box. He duly turned and fired an unstoppable effort past O'Hara.

That was the action until right at the very end of the game. QPR had the best of the play throughout and made us pay seven minutes from the end. A cracking left wing cross from Gibson perfectly found the head of Raniel and he fired a bullet of a header past O'Hara to give the Londoners the lead in the tie.

There was still time for drama however. In to stoppage time and we won the ball at left back. Leif Davis looked up and saw Scrimy signalling a run. His ball was a peach but James Dunne managed to get a foot in to deflect the ball. Unforetunately for Dunne, McDonagh was also present and our top scorer collected the clearance before playing the ball on for Scrimy to fire past Dieng!

- OFFSIDE -

But the lino was flagging for offside. Jake had just strayed in to an offside position as the defender cleared.

We'd come so close but would have to be content with travelling to London a goal down. We could do it!

~~~

Semi-Final Second Leg - Saturday, 24th May 2025, 15:00

image.png.353ed443cae1f29f06dcf95564bc6eac.png

In a fantastic game we came so close to reaching a Wembley final. Rangers must have been confident as they made a number of changes. For us just Tafa replaced Kaelan Casey to add a bit of experience. It would also be the big man's last game for us if we didn't win.

The game started as well for us as the first leg had. Denis Adeniran's ball into the box was turned on to Owen by Scrimy. In a similar manner to our disallowed goal a few days previous, a defender got a foot in and the ball landed at the feel of Aaron McDonagh. Our top scorer shot himself this time and the ball nestled in the back of the net to put us one up.

image.png.50bcc2b467efcfcec67fdf5537b06884.png

QPR's first half was poor and it wasn't until after the break that they made some threat against us. We held firm against the challenge but couldn't find the goal that would give us the overall lead in the tie. That meant the match went in to extra time. I just wasn't sure how we'd find a second goal as we hadn't looked like adding the second.

QPR did score though. Just when we thought we might hang on for a shoot out Raniel broke our hearts again. Chris Willock broke from midfield and played a great ball in to the path of the onrushing Raniel. The striker fired past O'Hara and we had some work to do.

I immediately pushed the lads on more even though I feared this might open us up. We had no choice now of course.

What we witnessed was special. The ballw as laid off to Stan, out wide right, and the veteran put in a quick cross that found McDonagh free in the middle of the box. The young striker connected beautifully on the volley and the ball soared past a stunned Baxter in the Rangers goal.

image.png.c30b0aeb6559ca734c6d24d8bbf7206d.png

We were level again!

But it didn't last...

Just when we thought we were headed for a shootout Rangers showed just what they had. With four minutes on the clock, Toffolo sent in a deep cross from the left. Raniel went down in a clash with Tafa but the ball landed at the feet of Sam Adegbenro, free in front of the keeper. The substitute finished easily and any penalty claims went unheard.

image.png.c70818f97469fa2375386506cce57043.png

We had to do it all again.

But there wasn't enough time. We'd given it all but fell ever so slightly short.

~~~

In the other semi-final, Norwich beat Blackburn 4-2 on aggregate and the team that had underperformed all season would face QPR in the play-off final.

But we'll face Norwich again next season as they lost on penalties to QPR, who go on to play Premier League football next season.

image.png.c1c54dd096e3c808d144a169c092e267.png

Final Championship table

image.png.eb52564d83551c9fa205d1fd4a5c3df1.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Manchester City regained the title they last won in 2021 by eight points over Chelsea. City held on to the lead they had at the end of March, losing just one of their final eight games. They even added to the humbling with a 1-0 win over Chelsea and a 2-0 defeat of Liverpool.

Also enteriung next season's Champions League are third placed Liverpool and fourth placed Arsenal. Everton and Newcastle finished 5th and 6th to qualify for the Europa League. Manchester United continued seasons of underperformance to finish 7th but qualify for the Europa Conference League.

Bournemouth had a great season to finish 10th under Mowbray. Patson Daka top scored for the Cherries with 10 goals but it was an all around performance that also saw Grady Diangana get player of the season with 8 goals and 5 assists.

What was sure to put an even bigger smile of the face of many Cherries fans was the relegation of near neighbours Southampton. The Saints dropped down to the Championship alongside Fulham and Brentford.

There was almost some joy for Southampton as they narrowly lost the FA Cup Final on penalties to Manchester City after a 2-2 draw.

The League Cup went to Liverpool as they beat Chelsea 2-1.

image.png.8e66443bb2c8c7aaa8a19d776bdc25e1.png image.png.a28125ce082077ba7326740462003c1c.png

Rest Of England

image.png.9490e08f28eec15270aa8b73b33c6384.png image.png.31b4a6d7eda294488af1a4c21569a293.png

image.png.c07541f2e437556e305137eeda3a5fac.png image.png.810bc52c5c7ff2c00ffcc0ad479d2e26.png

It was a much better end to the season for Weymouth as they clawed their way back to earn a play off chance on the final day. The Terras then beat Dulwich Hamlet before losing on penalties to Havant & Waterlooville in the semi-final. It will be the National League South again next season for Weymouth.

Europe

image.png.3776a19134ccda1c3f8e36cf720a6c2a.png

European Leagues

Yes, Dortmund and Lyon overturned the odds in Germany and France. PSG finished some way back in France.

image.png.473671e74389af1fc8352a487e973d30.png image.png.c9725e8a6e6a2a172105f2e3dc854397.png

image.png.0597319de0364d6c4ab0560974cec3b7.png image.png.1bda6932662f46530d37c7da15c2ad7a.png

image.png.ba77274b0aa98ac9a4ece8b0a5481752.png  image.png.89d716a972486e3cc7860e33ebdf8531.png

And end of season review is to come. This post is long enough already.

Edited by anagain

Wycombe Wanderers - 2024/2025 - English Championship - Season Review

04_Wycombe_EoSReview_2425_header.png.1214fdcd7f14e9adeff4b71ecf686909.png

04_Wycombe_EoSReview_2425_Competitions.thumb.png.2ed948701595041429a2c713038fd275.png

04_Wycombe_EoSReview_2425_moments.png.0f115af92f6d4e1842abc92cefde6ae2.png

04_Wycombe_EoSReview_2425_best11.thumb.png.b668836b6d8829f86fde24ae4471a1c6.png

04_Wycombe_EoSReview_2425_Awards.thumb.png.67f0d7f7b11bc3e7cad65ad28f964b55.png

Player Stats

04_Wycombe_SeasonStats_2425_CH.thumb.png.8594bff0754408a1cd66831a2ab26d76.png

Not included in the above table:

Junior Stanislas (retired before I could do stats)

image.thumb.png.7cf0c87d036c1080025e1a51bb598387.png

Aims For Next Season

Despite what has been a fantastic season I don't think my aims are to recreate the play off accomplishment. We've already lost Stanislas and Tafazolli is off to the States. Much of this season's success is down to the goalscoring of Aaron McDonagh and I honestly don't know if he will be here next season. Surely Chelsea have their eyes on him and, if they don't give him game time themselves, they willw ant him to play top level football. That doesn't mean I won't try to nab him.

Scrimy has signed a new contract and he showed, at the tailend of the season, that he was good enough to be our goalscorer.

Jamie Hamilton is another question mark. It seems Jamie is being looked at by a number of clubs and they will easily meet his release clause. The board did just put £2.5m in to the club to ease troubles so I wonder if selling the likes of Hamilton is they proper thing to do. If he gets offers, of course.

So, what are my key needs for next season?

Left Back - someone who can really make the place their own. Leif Davis' loan will end soon and Marshall has decided to leave. Neither were good enough this year.

Right and Left Wing - Firstly, I need to replace Stanislas on the right. Secondly, I may need a new left winger. Riley Owens is out of contract at Spurs at the end of the season but will he join us?

Forwards - If we can't get McDonagh again then we need new faces up top.

How much farther will I get? I don't know, to be honest. I am enjoying the save more lately and I might try to get another season in. I'm enjoying playing other games too so I doubt it'll be quick. I'd actually like a third club, and one with more money. I don't know what happened to the interest in me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wycombe Wanderers - Season 2025/2026 - English Championship

Pre-Season, Transfer Window and Season Preview

Transfer windows with Wycombe are a challenge. I must have seen reports for 500 players. I've trialled many. Finally signed some.

Am I happy with our business? Well, we'll have to see. I'd have loved better, but when the board give you less than a mill kitty and £122k for a wage budget you have to cut corners.

I really do not know how we managed 5th last season. If we make play offs this season I deserve to be hailed a hero.

Or, FM is just easy.

Transfer Window

Outgoings

Let's start with transfers, and those that have left the club first.

image.png.dd273e52c2e5ad78707381e13a6ab57c.png

Only Tafa has left the club permanently to date (other than Stan retiring) but there have been a number of loan moves for our youngsters. Jayden Wareham and Karl Lee are new signings that I have sent back to their original clubs for a season on loan. They're stars for the future and I'll introduce them below.

This is unlikely to be all. I'll assess a few more players over the first few league games and decide whether any more young players need a season's loan. This depends very much on any other incomings.

EDIT: Four players also were released or left of their own accord.

image.png.976ee41716b4726ceb2d5fbc87afa355.png

Incomings

image.png.9d6e0f8601519176036aeb0e3c6df606.png

Yes, we've spent a lot more than we've made. I was expecting transfer interest in my bigger stars but it hasn't yet materialised. Two names you'll likely recognise. Riley Owen has spent the last two seasons on loan here and Caleb Watts played regularly towards the end of his loan spell last season. Caleb's contract was expiring at the end of the season and I decided to further his time here.

Riley will be our main man wide left and Caleb will push Herbie Kane for a spot in midfield.

I should just buy Riley. He is valued at £1million though. And contracted till 2028. Spurs clearly rate him for the future.

image.png.e87c5773f39e5f110d273fdbcd18ed88.png

image.png.13a847bcb51c131ad6b60ea8eec37843.png

Josh Emmanuel

Josh is a Nigerian born full back with English and American nationality and joins from MLS club Minnesota United for a fee of £200k. Josh can play on either side of our defence, although he is most comfortable on the right. He could also play further forward, if called upon. The fans are reasonably happy and I look forward to seeing what Josh can do.

image.png.83b51a3b5efecd0103d1274a39066a17.png

image.png.7334310bdfe14c44cd259cdb9ed47a01.png

John Woods

Finding a right winger has been a challenge for me for a couple of seasons now. We have the aging David Wheeler that can be called on for a number of positions and Stan filled in there last season. However, John Woods is a dedicated right winger that didn't get the reception I hoped for when he signed. I think that goes down to the fact that he's an aggressive young man and seems to have a history of rubbing people up the wrong way. Good. I hope he gets stuck in and shows some passion.

Is he good enough for this level? I think so. His pre-season form was patchy but I hope to get the best of him in our first game.

John is an American with English as a second nationality (helps with the work permits) but has spent most of his career in England. He joins us after his Plymouth contract expired and will hopefully prove himself to the fans.

I did suggest the fans weren't too keen on John.

image.png.e6784ebae09be0f559df5bfc649bc73f.png

image.png.016fd97f572e9215bcface114301731e.png

Ali Koiki

And now on to my search for a left back that can take this club forward. Someone who can secure the left back spot as their own. The first of two new signings to battle it out at left back is Ali Koiki, a former Palace youth player who joins us from Northampton Town on a free. Northampton Town might raise a few eyebrows, but this has been a challenging position to fill. Ali has a future, even if he might not be quite there just yet.

Ali is primarily in my plans as a left back option but he is equally promising further forward. John Sparkes is our other option on the left that Ali will battle with. John proved to be better more advanced and did well last season. I think Ali is better though.

I like versatility.

image.png.f54bd3339863b703bad3f026ffcaffc4.png

image.png.af4b1056a20b389189ddb0aa04652c50.png

Moussa N'Diaye

Moussa is the player I signed with the intention of him being first choice at left back. He might be better on the left of central defence but that is a dilemma that will reveal itself as the season gets going.

Mousa is a Senagalese U20 international who joins us on a free from Barcelona. Yes, we signed a player from the Spanish giants. He even played a game for Barcelona; he started as Barcelona lost 2-0 to Real Sociedad in May. It was a strangely makeshift line up in a game fourteen days before the Champions League Final and the title was out of their grasp. Anyone who can say they played for Barcelona must have some talent though.

Moussa is just 23 years old with great physicality. He made need to work on his technical skills but I have high hopes for Moussa.

image.png.4a682108a08dc2e754fdee4685b0c814.png

image.png.54f62dc67d654c2c91bc3c9910c33e53.png

Jayden Wareham

Jayden is the first of three youngsters that I have brought to Wycombe as prospects for the future. Jayden is a 23 year old that was once on the books of Chelsea but joins us from Bangor City. Jayden is another player the fans didn't rate but I believe there is promise here.

Jayden is quick and has some natural finishing ability. He scored 18 goals last season as Bangor finished third in the Cymru Premier and qualified for the Europa Conference League. The Citizens are sadly out of that competition but I've let Jayden return to Wales on loan for a season where he can hopefully get some more experience under his belt.

I had a memorable time as manager of Bangor City in a past FM, so it's nice to sign a player of theirs.

image.png.858879d15526baa43f734cad1dc1d257.png

image.png.d1c2195a669665a2c12a16229af90e8c.png

Cihan Buğdaycı

That's the last time I'm typing the characters, but I'm a stickler for realism on occasion.

Cihan is a young Turkish right back that my scouting team spotted whilst playing for Hatayspor in the Turkish Super Lig. Cihan is a kid with a lot of good opinion of his skills. I'm not sure he's at the level we require yet but there's promise here. I am looking for a loan deal for Cihan so he can learn the English game. We shall see how he performs. I've also sent the lad on an English course that the club will fund.

Cihan is an impressive player physically and he is future captain material. We need to see some progress in his technical ability though.

Hopefully I have spent £135k wisely.

image.png.7db407ab16d281ebfcb3de6b68a52b6c.png

image.png.8a4be12b8711677529af8a8d186b92d9.png

Karl Lee

The last incoming, for now, is a young Northern irish full back who joins for £50k from Glenavon. Karl is a year older, and probably slightly better, than Cihan and has agreed to head back to Lurgan for a season.

Karl is perhaps even more confident than Cihan. He expects to be playing first team football next season, and he expects to be an important player. Good luck to him. Go out and impress me, Karl.

Eddie de Zeeuw impressed me on loan at Woking last season and I've decided to keep him here for this coming season because of that. Let's see if Karl can replicate that accomplishment.

image.png.c8dcfd36034b756bc2f396d879c28ade.png

image.png.71f43f3e860ed0cafcb522087a18d8a3.png

We have one final deal in the works but it's not quite over the line yet. I'll update that as it happens.

Pre-Season

We had a rewarding pre-season that started with a training camp in the Netherlands. In four games, all be it easier tasks, we came away with four wins, 15 goals scored and just 2 conceded. I took a number of triallists with us but sadly none have done enough for me to sign them. One or two were close but we have to be frugal with our wage budget. If I'm to spend money it has to be well spent.

Back home, we lost two close games to Bournemouth and Reading.

image.png.929c1daed200d0c9e6480a7ea90942aa.png

2025/2026 English Championship - Season Preview

It is safe to say that we're not fancied this season. We start the season home to Blackpool before travelling to our first away game in Huddersfield. Our first huge test is at the end of September when we face last season's underachievers, Norwich. Our first relegated opposition is not until November when we face Brentford. Scarily, we face Southampton a week after that and Fulham a week after the Saints.

Erk!

Our final game is home to Wigan. Boxing day sees us face newly promoted Charlton and we play WBA on New Years Day.

We're not fancied this season. Of course, we were odds on for relegation last season and we finished 5th. Can we recreate that famous season?

I have included the media's Dream Eleven so you can see how fancied Southampton really are. The red is them. All of them. I'll beat them...for Bournemouth!

image.png.cf1a6b2e9111489584169ec20fecfe36.png  image.png.233fc5422011c424051a43ae592c9f2a.png

The Saints have had a clearout too.

image.thumb.png.fc75ca4eb9c79f80b089ef70243f186d.png

Just to show what we're up against, too, Southampton spent £28m of the above money earnt on this okayish fella. He ain't bad (not fully scouted, sorry).

image.png.2830f86149c5ff3ab0cea8da5ce28aaa.png

I was going to have a look at manager movements in the lead up to this season...

...but there strangely have been none.

I'll just move on to us one final time (this is getting long).

Wycombe Wanderers Squad (as of Friday, 8th August 2025)

image.png.daeb10a85dabeea38cdc97dccfa42439.png

Goalkeepers

Kieran O'Hara is number one again. Cieran Slicker and Alex Kovačević can fight it out to see who can play cup games. I want to keep two reserve keepers around.

Defenders

Our starting back four will likely be Mandela Egbo, Jamie Hamilton, Moussa N'Diaye and one from Kaelan Casey and Luke McNally. The transfer in the pipeline is for a defender that should slot in as first choice, alongside Hamilton. He's a right footer so Jamie might have to switch to playing left side.

Scott High and Josh Emmanuel will start as back up for right back. Josh and Ali Koiki for left back. In the center Scott O'Reilly looks to be headed out for a year. Moussa is also back up in the center. Herbie Kane and Josh Scowen could play there in an emergency.

Midfielders

My first choice midfield is John Woods, Herbie Kane, Dennis Adeniran and Riley Owen.

I'm a little concered about the right still. I haven't been able to find further competition for that spot, but 34 year old David Wheeler is competent back up for now. Josh Emmanuel could do a job there, I expect.

On the left, Riley Owen's competition is John Sparkes and Ali Koiki. 

In the center Caleb Watts is an able deputy for Herbie and Scows will push Adeniran, along with Kaelan Casey and Scott High. Oliver Pendlebury is 23 now and has spent the last few seasons on loan. I've decided to keep Oliver around this season and he will provide a more attacking option in central midfield as well as being able to do a job in a 4-4-1-1.

Not sure I have ever introduced Oliver.

image.png.16ccd1e1862be62c2a564c97fd7ba9c3.png

Forwards

Our first choice front two will be Ovie Ejaria and Jake Scrimshaw. As I said earlier, Eddie de Zeeuw is staying at the club this season and will be backup. David Wheeler is also an option up front.

We're light up front. I would love another man but pickings have been slim. I did look at bringing back Aaron McDonagh but his wage requirments left me little to play with for replacements I had to make. Ideally I would like someone who can play up front or wide right. I have the perfect guy but he is unlikely to get a work permit. I tried last season. Maybe you recall Filip Stuparevic. The search continues.

There is one last point. Our probable next signing would like me to try and find a player to help him settle - yes, he's not English - so maybe he can recommend a forward.

For now that's our lot. Bring on Blackpool.

A former favourite wants to say something. C'mon Wycombe!

Wycombe Wanderers football beast mode league one wycombe wanderers GIF

Thanks, Adebayo.

I'm starting to like this club. They won their League One opener today 3-0 against Burton with goals from Wheeler, Scowen and former player of mine, Mehmeti. Good omens? Blackpool start with a B. :onmehead:

Edited by anagain

August 2025 - Off To A Steady Start

We have made a steady start to our Championship campaign; strong defensively but perhaps lacking a little in attack. We've not scored in abundance but we've conceded just the loan goal in the league. It's wonderful that our goals have come from a number of sources too.

image.png.885371edf95c9523a59d6e5911bd7e80.png

We kicked off our Championship campaign by welcoming Blackpool to Adams Park. In a tight game Ovie Ejaria was the loan scorer, slotting home at the near post following great work down the right by marauding wing back Egbo.

After a brief interlude for the League Cup, we took the boys up to Huddersfield for an away game I thought would be tougher. Again we won by a single goal margin as Riley Owen latched on to a keeper's parry midway through the second half. A week later Middlebrough gave us a similarly close game that we were probably lucky to sneak a win in thanks to a Dijksteel own goal late in the game.

So, unbeaten in three, but only having scored three goals, we took ourselves next to Luton for a game against a side that had struggled in the early days. Bizarrely, Luton were the sternest test yet and scored the first goal against us in these early days of the campaign. My new right winger, John Woods, hadn't had the best start to his Wycombe career but I chose to perservere with him and he thanked me with the first goal in this game; a lovely cushioned volley finish from the edge of the box. Luton equalised shortly after but Scrimy won us the points when he ran on to Caleb Watts' wonderful through ball.

We'd had bad news in the week leading up to the Luton game with Ejaria suffering an injur that will keep him out for a few weeks. That meant a change of system with Caleb moving in to the playmaker role between midfield and attack. I felt it a good decision when the young midfielder played that ball beautifully into the path of Scrimy.

We ended the month with a trip to Ewood Park and recorded another narrow win by a goal to nil. It was Oliver Pendlebury that this time thanked me for my confidence in him. I bought the youngster on to replace a tired Riley Owen midway through the second half and he struck with a first time effort that seemed to puzzle the Rovers keeper and sneak in at the near post.

League Cup First Round

In the first round of the League Cup we drew relegated Brentford. I knew this would be a tough game but we performed admirably to take the match to a penalty shoot out. Caleb Watts was our scorer in a much changed side from the season opener against Blackpool. Caleb equalised a Daramy opener for Brentford.

Ironically, it was Caleb that missed the decisive penalty in the shoot out. There's no blame attached to his miss. Caleb will take this moment and learn from it

So, the end of August sees us sensationally top of the Championship by a massive five points from favourites Southampton. We've played a game more than the rest though. I never saw this start in my wildest dreams.

image.png.91db3553be87475b826e735e1e5ad1f3.png

Transfer Window Closes

With an international break in early September I'l cover the closing of the summer transfer window now.

To start, there was one signing I mentioned previously and he arrived midway through August, after an application for a work permit.

image.png.1351789b7f3443c0a69954a3216605ed.png

He got that and so I welcome:

Žan Zaletel

Zan (not doing that character every time) joins us from Feyenoord for a good amount of money but I have faith he can be a great recruit for us. Like Cihan, Zan speak little English so I have offered him an intensive language course. Zan would also like me to attempt to find him a former team mate or Slovenian national to help him settle. I will do my best with that but some sales may be necessary.

Zan is a tough tackling and composed center back with 3 caps for the Slovenian National side. When he learns the language Zan could be a great bet for captain.

image.png.0f6c747b82e8844c4419276f8846eb75.png

image.png.302348a03948d6f8b95d58007732ebfa.png

Deadline Day Deals

Juwon Whichelow

Juwon is a young winger that joins us on loan from Fulham. I wanted another right sided player to push the, at the time, underperforming John Woods. My scouts came to me with Juwon. He's raw but Juwon has determination in abundance and will be an able replacement on either the right or the left.

image.png.34bb58c15ab2ad5042d06747ac3a4c9a.png

image.png.32f28783530edd16c0baeecacb0a3f91.png

Zlatan Košćević

We've signed Zlatan. Just not that one. Zlatan Koscevic is a young Croatian forward that we have secured on loan from Dinamo. Okay, so chiefly this is an attempt to appease Zan's desire to have someone to help him settle. It is also a desire for more up front though. Zlatan is a creative and determined forward that can fill Ejaria's role or drop a little deeper in to advanced midfield.

If Zlatan does indeed appease Zan I'll be very happy. I'm worried he won't.

image.png.6c0cec059bbc0712d20104957c5db162.png

image.png.026fc0b4a62a822d4f6d6d9bd4be83f0.png

We have just the one outgoing on deadline day. To free up some wages Jack Sparkes has headed out on loan to Northampton Town.

The big story of the transfer window in the Championship was Southampton, signing Daniel Braganca for £47.5million on deadline day. Fulham have let go a whopping 33 players though.

image.png.39de1b4390f91417e2dfe5f01d5deb09.png

So where are we in terms of wages now that the window has closed? Well, we're still remarkably overperforming our wage paying power.

We're plucky.

image.png.0b0cd2428eefe6919ed847e402d43f0f.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

It is early days in England's top division but Arsenal and Everton have the early lead, both unbeaten after three and with +5 goals. It has been a dreadful start for Liverpool and Spurs who are both yet to win.

An even worse start is on record for Bournemouth. The Cherries are yet to score and lost to Srsenal, Newcastle and Manchester United in August. They sit bottom.

image.png.17bf908d7ad3726f4ee889ea50c2ece7.png

Europe

It is early days on the continent but Bayern look to be eager to get one back on Dortmund this year and the giants have started unbeaten. In France it is not a great start by PSG with Lyon already leading by three points. In Scotland, Rangers and Celtic have both had poor starts and Dundee United lead the pack. In honour of our new foreign import, I have chosen Zan's home nation Prva Liga as this month's guest league. Mura lead the pack after seven games in Slovenia, with Zan's former club Celje second.

image.thumb.png.ca9ad9e1f0cccd3735eac4d39f508a05.png

Also in Europe, the group stages for the three continental competitions have been drawn as follows:

image.thumb.png.6ffa4277e59786f0fa4173a9a8989166.png

Former Club Watch

It has been a mixed start for Weymouth. Under the continued reign of Danny Thorpe the club won two and lost two of their opening four games. Looking closer, we see it was their first two games the Terras lost but they've come back strong with two wins, the latest on deadline day.

image.png.d42f5a79b7dd81877fbc8ef5e1fae615.png

image.png.68ddce38103c8463db0b4ed2f446fa76.png

Home town club Poole have faired even worse with just one point and one goal so far. It could be a long season.

September

With me changing the order a little, how does September look for Wycombe? Well, there are just four games, but a tough test against Norwich at the end of the month.

image.png.f0eea47f43fa9ac0ce48439d02f154fc.png

In a final piece of news, Zan Zalatel was not impressed that I didn't sign a player to help him settle. So much for searching high and low for a player from his region that speaks a language Zan speaks.

Zan is now very unhappy and wants to leave. He's only played about 10 minutes!!

FM22 is terrible for this utter ridiculousness. The game gives you no idea of what constitutes an applicable player and doesn't let me ask Zan? When I asked him to recommend a signing he recommended a player in South America!!

I should have signed an Englishman, but Zan was as good as I could get from here and cheaper. Much cheaper.

I have an unhappy baldy at the club.

image.png.72b88337f430ef5ea65ac83388b8a782.png

Do better in FM23 please, Sports Interactive

Cya all at the end of September. Maybe Zan will have stopped sulking.

September 2025 - Our Good Start Is Halted

The reality of the Championship hit us hard in September with two games in which we conceded a whopping eight goals. We did manage a good draw at a favourite to end the month better though.

image.png.7f1ba50dd297f958463ec107fb09d3e0.png

We started September by welcoming Forest to Adams Park. We suffered a humiliating defeat to a resurgent Forest side with Alex Mighten putting in a match-winning performance. We made up for the disappointment a little a week later as we welcomed Preston. It was a tight game that was level at half time and still level with ten minutes remaining. I opted for a change and brought Eddie de Zeeuw on up front. It paid massive dividends as Eddie latched on to a lovely Kovacevic ball to fire home the winner.

image.thumb.png.f0b6881d349346cfb813a44c44d9cb7a.png

Being back to winning ways didn't last long for us. Just four days later we travelled to Peterborough to face a team that we should really be beating. We got stunned in to last week though as Peterborough dominated us with a great display. I looked on in disbelief as they routed us 4-1. Only Ali Koiki came out of the game with any credit, scoring our only goal. A game to forget.

It wouldn't get any easier either as we continued our season in East Anglia just a few days later. This was our annual trip to Norwich and we've always given the Canaries a good game since they came down and we went up. The trend continued as the game ended 0-0. If truth be told we had the better chances. We just failed to find the net. Norwich, for all their effort, failed to break us down and I think they'll be happy with a point.

Despite the poor month we end September in third place in the league but there are teams around us with a game in hand, most notably Southampton and current top of the pile side, Brentford.

image.png.98f9460597230f301bb7bfbff8812197.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Arsenal and Everton are still top of the pile in England. Brighton and Manchester City make up the top four. Manchester United and Tottenham have had awful starts and find themselves in the bottom half. Bournemouth grabbed their first win of the season in September, 1-0 over Stoke, but losses to Spurs and Brighton see the Cherries still in the bottom three.

image.png.300c434216ef971448da3d6c2e5b1f97.png

European Leagues

Bayern are back on top in Germany, with Dortmund this year falling behind. PSG also have gotten over their early poor form to find themselves a point behind Monaco. The real shock in Europe is in Scotland. Dundee United still lead the pack, with Rangers a point behind, but Celtic are way down in 8th at this early stage.

September's guest league is for our new striker from Croatia. The end of Spetember finds Rijeka and Dinamo Zagreb top of the pile.

image.thumb.png.752d9984ace3340d9ffedb27040aa0fd.png

Former Club Watch

Weymouth have had a slightly better month than August and they find themselves up to tenth in the National League South. There was just one defeat for the Terras at Farnborough. There was also a dominant 3-0 win in the FA Cup against Paulton. In the Third Round the Terras travel to Margate.

image.png.f613745800fda2eb7d91a18fbfb98ce8.png

image.png.d8b4c378829657f0db947a5463a4c37d.png

October

October is another short month, thanks to another international break, with just four league games. West Brom are second and will be a tough game, but Reading, Birmingham and Sheffield United have had poor starts. That doesn't, of course, mean they'll be easy games.

image.png.4b1f5ab952b69a345e4f8d1028f6ceeb.png

The story with Zaletel will hopefully improve in October. I've left it to now to say that he came to me this month to say he wasn't happy and wanted to leave. Having only been here a few weeks I suggested he get his head down andtry to fit in. Zan played in our last game against Norwich and did well. Hopefully it marks a change in mentality.

Looking forward, I hope he doesn't prove to be a poor signing.

October 2025 - Mid-Table Form...Still Challenging

We can't string two results together...

Our form has been very patchy for the past couple of months but we're still in and around the pack chasing for the top six. Brentford seem to be the only club that appear to want to win this league though, with many other teams, including ourselves fighting amongst ourselves. Southampton have been the surprise package because they don't seem to be able to find true form. On the other hand, you might call Peterborough the surprise package. The promoted team are emulating the us of last season and are right up there.

image.png.7afe0c9b0a272f2e28060f7ee27e9679.png

First up in October was a tough game in which we welcomed promotion chasing West Brom to Adams Park. Both sides fought hard and created a number of chances but the keepers were on top at the end of the day. O'Hara, as is so often case, was our man of the match.

The goals continued to go missing a week later as we entertained Reading in the late Saturday game on Sky. Only our center back pairing of Hamilton and Zaletel really turned up for this but they were unable to stop Reading snatching a great win with two well taken goals from young forward, Jack Joyce. There is a man who has an England career in his grasp. Our own forwards were blunt as a pencil in front of our own fans.

I wanted a response when we travelled to Birmingham a few days later and I got it from the late entrance of our TV game's under performing Scrimy. Brum opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Zan was harshly adjudged to have pushed his man. We equalised before half time thanks to a lovely grass skimming effort from Adeniran. The second half was a tight affair and, with ten minutes left, I decided to offer Scrimy the chance to rectify the poor effort a few days before and try and grab us the winner. Three minutes in to stoppage time and some neat interchange between Kane and Watts gave the latter the chance to play in Scrimy. The ball was a peach and Scrimy did what we know he can do best. He latched on to the inviting ball, made space for himself and slotted it in the back of the net.

image.png.4e41c629d27f758fe2bf106c64452c9f.png

We were back to winning ways...at last.

Could we actually string two wins together a few days later as we travelled up to Sheffield to meet United? The answer would be a humbling no. The Blades were the better side throughout; their midfield providing a real challenge, especially Gonzalo Vilar who got the winner after having a fantastic game. Scrimy had gotten his second goal in two games to level the tie after an early back post finish from Tzolis but we just weren't in the game in the second half. My right side aren't firing and Owen shows just glimpses of form without serious end product.

~~~~~

We're still in the chase but there are worrying signs that this season will fizzle out in to mid table obscurity. Belief among the squad has never been higher and even Zan supports me, despite his grumbles about not fitting in. I may have found the answer to that for the January window though...if we can find the money.

We're still challenging for the play offs right now but we'll need to find some steady form. Brentford and Southampton are the teams that have forged ahead at the end of October. The Bees had a huge lead until losing at lowly Preston. That is the beauty of the Championship.

image.png.38158fb4df47c2bb7802480341ae1294.png

And just as we are thinking things could do with a boost we lose a man who has always delivered when called upon. If it wasn't for Kane's consistency Caleb would be first choice. What the Ozzie has shown an ability for is playing just behind Scrimy. Caleb can see a pass like a camel can see water.

image.png.2f8d5d5abfdb459b5bdb59f037b3624d.png

We plough on...

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

It is still Everton and Arsenal at the top whilst City have opened a three point gap in third. Everton have been surprising all comers and have had two fantastic 1-0 wins over City and Liverpool; the Merseyside derby win coming in front of the cameras this month. Dominic Calvert-Lewin has banged in seven goals for the Toffees but we can't rule out James Ward-Prowse's eight assists.

Brighton are the next best surprise package, in fourth, but Spurs and Manchester United continue to struggle lower mid table. AFC Bournemouth finally climbed out of the relegation zone this month, mainly thanks to a late Stuart Armstrong goal to beat struggling QPR. The Cherries also nearly gained a famous win over City in the League Cup, losing an entertaining match on penalties.

image.png.9aaf46730fdd56297483933e7c5c170e.png  image.png.b9ad9995572ce79328074a786c327adc.png

European Continent

Bayern are showing the rest how to win a league at a canter in Germany, but then they have a point to prove after last season. PSG are still battling in France though, with Monaco topping the pile. In Scotland, Celtic have gained some ground but Dundee United still surprisingly head Rangers at the top.

This month we'll look at the league of one of our loaned out young strikers. That is the Cymru Premier and Jayden Wareham's Bangor City who are starting to lose ground on TNS. TNS have lost just once, to Bangor in September, but got their revenge with a win on the Menai this month. Jayden has five goals this season and I'd like to see him continue to impress.

image.thumb.png.2557a395b49fce421a57763d4f6b83e2.png

We'll have a look at the European Qualifying tournament for next year's World Cup next time. The group stage ends midway through November and we'll look at who's headed to the USA, Canada and Mexico for certain. As a little taster, England are more or less there. There is another big European nation with two games left to avoid a play off.

Former Club Watch

October hasn't gone well for Weymouth. The Terras lost twice and drew once to drop back down to 12th in their league. My old team are out of the FA Cup too. They beat Margate but then lost a reply to Cambridge United in the Fourth Qualifying Round.

image.png.2f1bbac81e794b4890dbbdde545b6d55.png

Weymouth have a tough November in which they face first and second in the National League South.

Poole Town are solid bottom of the league and haven't won since mid-September.

image.png.8dbcffb22443f32557d0615802e0527f.png

November

I said above that Southampton and Brentford are the two teams forging ahead and making a real go at winning this league. Guess who we face in November? Barnsley, Sunderland and Fulham are having mixed seasons but have the ability to really test us. We really have to get three points against strugglers, Millwall.

image.png.08d8360b054e923479ff1a911097dcf4.png

In one last piece of news. I've been linked with vacant jobs at Fulham and Blackburn this past month. I didn't come right out and say it but if offered the Fulham job I would have to seriously consider it. The nice balance we had at the start of the season is dwindling fast. We're only just over our wage budget but we lose more each month than we make.

I am sure it will hold out. Ejaria is wanted by a Spanish club though. If they bid I'd accept and hopefully get a nice pay day.

image.png.4a8f3dd7184492fa768ac035c43caf0d.png

We're still a selling club really.

Headed Ooop North To Where It's Grim...Just Hope I Don't Crash And Burn - Blackburn Rovers (A New Chapter)

As I mentioned previously, I was getting some attention from historically bigger clubs. Fulham were first and then Blackburn signalled their interest.

Then, one morning...

image.png.ad13cc111bf0fb18b00b8d71e22db528.png

I had to accept the offer. They won the Premier League once.

I was loving Wycombe. The flirtation with the play offs last season and we're still somewhat holding our own this year. I was starting to have grumbles from the players. Egbo, Adeniran, Scowen, McNally and Ejaria. All wanted new deals or more game time. You can't just ditch players doing well so I made my excuses. None were particularly happy but that's football. Adeniranw anted a new contract. I told him the club didn't have the money. He didn't buy it, but it's the truth.

Blackburn's wage budget is significantly higher than ours.

Did I say they once won the Premier League?

How Did November Go For Wycombe?

image.png.de6284a6dbdcf863aab0438edeb13af6.png

We had started off with a tough nil-nil against Barnsley; a team improving, and had then easily beaten Millwall despite a first half in which they pushed and in which we had John Woods stupidly sent off. Our second half was so much better, Owen scoring again and then Emmanuel banging in a penalty. Millwall will be gutted but it was pleasing to see the team regroup with ten men.

I had had news from Blackburn about whether I'd like to take staff members with me the day before the Brentford game and it was on my mind whe we took to Adams Park for the match. Grumblers McNally and Scows got a chance due to fitness levels and I pushed them to deliver. The whole team did in the first half and we found ourselves 2-0 up at the break; a lovely Owens goal that stretched their defence and a truly amazing finish from Scrimy for the second.

Brentford turned the tables in the second half and we were probably lucky to get a point.

The next morning...

image.png.d0218d91e9fb9e32b453f5e338b73f0c.png

I am sorry to leave Wycombe but it was too good an offer to refuse. I would, if I am honest, have preferred Fulham, but Blackburn are a club that really want to get back to the Premier League. They have the wage budget that, if I can repeat my success at Wycombe, will allow me to get this team there.

Right now they're struggling. Many will look at where Blackburn are and ask, "why go to Blackburn?"

"Money". Yes, I'm a greedy good for nothing footballer...well, manager.

image.png.7a5fd3b5da475ef156d1ebe19aca46a6.png

They're too good to be down there.

Famous last words?

~~~~~~~~~~

image.thumb.png.c21d7ed02367dc24b945bc85ebc13029.png

image.png.17d10400452df75a1ac8ce9a759aa679.png

Blackburn - The Lowdown

image.png.b325c6c36506a17dbe4795821a7b1069.png

Ewood Park - Blackburn Rovers FC - YouTube

Blackburn announces bid to become a city - Marketing Lancashire  Coronavirus fears in Blackburn: 'We need to get on top of this' | Blackburn  | The Guardian

There's 🎶 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire 🎵

That's what John Lennon said. I don't know if it's still the case but Blackburn is an industrial town in central Lancashire, aout 20 miles northwest of Manchester. The town is a former textile powerhouse and has struggled in a similar way to other northern towns since the decline in the trade. It is currently a seat of investment and redevelopment, mainly thanks to the European Regional Development Fund. Well, so much for that. Sorry, no politics here.

Recorded in the Domesday Book as Blacheborne in 1086, the town's name is said to be a combination of the River Blakewater, and an Old English word "burn", meaning a stream. It is said to have been the site of a major river crossing Roman times and then, as I said, a big textile town from the 13th century.

Landmarks in the town are the cathedral  and, of course, Ewood Park. You might wonder why Blackburn has a cathedral and is no a city. If you want to know I'll direct you to this article.

There is also a statue of Queen Victoria, to commemorate a visit, an italianate town hall and a renaissance styled technical school.

170px-Blackburn_Cathedral_west_front.jpg      170px-Statue_of_Queen_Victoria_in_Blackburn.jpg      170px-Town_Hall_Blackburn_Lancashire.jpg      220px-Technical_School_Building_Blackburn_Lancashire.jpg

The pride and joy of Blackburn is, of course, the football club.

Blackburn Rovers FC

Blackburn Rovers was established in 1875, famously one of a few clubs to be a founding member of The Football League, in 1888, and then the Premier League, in 1992. The club moved to Ewood Park in 1890.

Rovers' first trophy came in 1884 when they beat Scottish club Queen's Park in the FA Cup final. Blackburn would go on to win the competition four more times before 1891. Rovers first won England's top division in 1911-1912 before winning it again two years later.

Rovers were runners-up in the second season of the Premier League before winning outright in 1994-1995. This was an incredible achievement for a team led by manager Kenny Dalglish, Alan Shearer's 34 goals, Tim Sherwood as captain, Tim Flowers between the sticks and current pundit Chris Sutton backing Shearer up. It may have been the first SAS in football.

Rovers have been a Championship club since relegation from the PL in 2011-2012 (despite one season in League One). Last season was their best finish for years, ending the season third and losing to Norwich in the Play-Off semi-final.

image.png.dea1cbdf4f582b1adabd673c7ff882b1.png

Rovers have competed in Europe seven seasons and got as far as the round of 32 in the UEFA Cup in 2006-2007.

image.png.fa2f977a5b9645df4b7d0b9cb37015e0.png

As I join the club they are languishing down in 20th in the Championship. They are surely too good to go down.

The club agree. They want a play-off spot in the Championship by 2027-2028.

Let the challenge commence!

Blackburn Rovers.svg

I'll come back with a squad run down.

• anagain changed the title to [FM22] Headed Ooop North To Where There's 4000 [Black]Holes...Just Hope I Don't Crash And Burn - Humble Beginnings At Weymouth FC, Book 3: Blackburn Rovers FC

Blackburn Rovers FC - Meeting The Squad

I have a whole two weeks to meet the squad; arriving as I do on the first Sunday of an international break. I shall have to arrange some friendlies to have a look at the players.

Taking my first training session on the Monday morning, I form my first impressions of the squad's key members.

Goalkeepers

Thomas Kaminski

A former Belgian U21 international, Thomas is by far the best keeper in the squad. Arriving in Blackburn in 2020 from AA Gent, Thomas is a sweeper keeper that excels in his reflexes. Thomas' understudies are Aynsley Pears and Jordan Eastham. In my opinion, neither are good enough, though the coaching team have some hope for Pears. I shall introduce them if they play.

image.png.b99384c9d58f0a6b271c4d5a5b456f8b.png

Central Defenders

Mattia Caldera

With two Italian caps to his name, Mattia Caldara is an experienced center back who joined from Milan a couple of seasons ago. Two appearances away from a century for Rovers, Mattia is a well-rounded man to have in defence, reasonable in the air and with a good right foot.

image.png.181be2e439e3d3e4d62f8f6da66077c3.png

Darragh Lenihan

Mattia's center back partner will likely be club captain and fifteen year Blackburn player, Darragh Lenihan. Darragh is mentally determined and a hard worker, traits that will make up for a little less skill in his position. What Darragh may not possess in ability he will make up for with effort. He is closing in on 350 appearances for Rovers and it would be criminal not to utilise this club legend.

image.png.8df70f80eccb368283e251c340ac73ea.png

Nicolas Pignatel Jenssen

Nicolas is a young Norwegian center back who joined the club from Legia Warsawa at the start of this season. Nicolas has some growing to do as a player but will slot in the the back four I'll likely run with when needed.

image.png.c4a138e69a280a15f72072eb07bbdff6.png

Hayden Carter

Hayden is another younger center back that joined Rovers in 2021 and is on the verge of 90 appearances. Hayden is a physical and hard working player in a similar mould to Lenihan.

image.png.3cd4893fa53eefe4cafeea90e3d354e8.png

Full Backs

Ryan Nyambe

Ryan is a 36 cap Namibian international and the club's star man at right back. Arriving at the club in 2014, Ryan has made 314 Rovers appearances but is still only 27. With outstanding natural fitness and great pace, Ryan will be the man I look to to burst from defence and provide the impetus for our attacks.

image.png.526f454b423649de7a159e0095f50511.png

Cameron Pring

Current first choice at left back is Cameron Pring. Cam is not quite as pacey as Ryan but is more skilled all round. Cam will have to fight for his position with Sam McCullum and Leon King. My first thought is this will be a position with much competition.

image.png.0d126d64835cb39251053d7ba640e1a8.png

Leon King

Just 21, Leon arrived at Rovers on loan from Rangers in the summer. Leon is not as pacey as Cam but is equally as fit as Ryan Nyambe. Mentally is where Leon shines; determined and able to pick a pass to some ability.

image.png.45963647d6a6ca01094b97489bf9fe7f.png

Sam McCullum

Sam has been at the club for three seasons and is similar to Cam in that he is more rounded a full back. I believe the decision between Sam and Cam is closer than as dictated by the 3 appearances Sam has so far this season and the 13 Cam has.

image.png.b6783fce6c700882beda6a45d2315b5b.png

Defensive Midfielders

Krystian Bielik

Krystian is a 27 year old defensive midfielder/center back with three Polish caps to his name. A good passer who is strong in the tackle, naturally fit and with a great temperament I already see Krystian as a key member of the team.

image.png.60c9808812b2eda059a7d16ad15d721b.png

Lewis Travis

Lewis is an outspoken defensively minded midfielder that is another long term Rovers player, havinga rrived at Ewood Park in 2014. Lewis is hard working, aggressive and brave with a tendency to pick up yellows. I like him.

image.png.4e1ad77d35e13b6a8f84d55c1c20a7f4.png

Ismaila Soro

Soro is an Ivorian that is banned as I join the club, presumable having been sent off in the last game. He has a similar manner to Lewis but not quite as skilled. The two will battle for a position in midfield alongside the more cultured foot of Bielik.

image.png.01d299dc8604251e54797dc445b11811.png

Attacking Midfielders

Bradley Dack

The club seems short of attacking midfielders, especially centrally, but there are more width inclined players that I feel can compete with Bradley for the position I am thinking of creating behind a main, and more passive, lead striker. Bradley is a goalscorer that doesn't seem to have been favoured this season. He is 31 so that may explain things. I think he is more than good enough to play as main goalscorer. We shall see.

image.png.be6e93e9a5ccf97d468d682e76d65d42.png

Guillermo Granero

Guillermo is a Spanish U21 internation on loan from Manchester United. With plenty of flair and vision, Guillermo will compete to play behind the striker. Guillermo can also play wide left or right where I am thinking to employ wide men that will cut in to score. Guillermo has scored twice in 6 appearances for Rovers.

image.png.cc6b4d12c6170eedb934740371aad393.png

Kostas Fortounis

Kostas is an experienced Greek international that seems to be the last manager's first choice this season. Kostas has lost a lot of pace but he has a primarily right footed golden foot. Strange then that Kostas has no assists this season in 12 appearances. That may explain the form of Blackburn. I have a choice between the finishing of Dack and the playmaking ability of Fortounis, I think.

Kostas only joined this summer from Fiorentina. It is my opinion he needs to work harder to earn his spot.

image.png.0a4971b3e18a094f23f06e0adadfad13.png

Attacking Wide Men

Joe Rankin-Costello

Another man long at the club, Joe joined from Manchester United in 2014. Favoured down the left this season, Joe is well rounded but doesn't seem to excel anywhere. Joe is one of the most versatile players in the squad, handy down either flank or in the middle. For me that makes him a key squad player.

image.png.e98130ce9155e492b42409bcd4c0caa0.png

Josh Bowler

Josh is the man favoured wide right so far this season and a man to get the crowd going. Josh signed from Blackpool in the summer and was a fan favourite up the coast (I hope so, I don't know him...flavour text, okay). Josh has pace and an ability to dribble into the box. He's scored twice this season and been one of the better players for Rovers.

image.png.083d1ff78a89915ba531db267d5da248.png

Tyrhys Dolan

Tyrhys is a 23 year old former England U20 player who joined blackburn from Preston in 2020. Dolan is one of the players I was immdiately informed to as wanting more first team football. Dolan is equally adept in a number of forward positions so will surely be an asset.

image.png.f1c37dd8fb6f4033b0bde5b17a672697.png

Lewis Morgan

Lewis has been at Ewood Park a season now, playing 44 times and scoring 6 goals. He's not been as favoured by the outgoing manager this year but I like Lewis; two-footed, a reasonable crosser and dribbler with some pace. Lewis can also finish so may be ideal for how I plan to get this team playing; incisive on the break, but able to keep the ball in midfield.

image.png.6319db4d2f70582312e03d15630b491e.png

Front Men

Anthony Lozano

Anthony is a new man at the club, having joined this summer from Lille. A Honduran international 74 times, Lozano has failed to score in his 14 appearances so far. He will need to do better than that, even playing as a link up man. Despite his age, Lozano does have plenty to offer.

image.png.fa3a447edc47ec050527407a018c6eff.png

Chuba Akpom

Chuba is a well travelled front man who joined Blackburn in 2023. Physically strong, the Nigerian has never had the best goal scoring record. I'm not sure if Chuba is good enough to take us up. He deserves a chance but I may look to sell Akpom. Strikers cost money though.

image.png.29ca7d628d89a5c4bc9811b116b20e56.png

Key Youth Prospects

Dominic Clifton

Dom is possibly the best of our attacking players in the U23s. He will need a lot of work but could make it. I am inclined to look for a loan for Dom in January as he could do with football.

image.png.dc32d458ac088c3085bb0c2e88a5b177.png

Bradley Bailey

Bradley is at about the same level of development as Dom but has better pace and finishing. I hope the U18s squad has better prospects.

image.png.2e7045c0769a6fd5c84aca1cb297ab4a.png

Ashley Phillips

20 yea old Ashley has been at the club since 2021 and is the best prospect in the U23 squad. Ashley is an outstandingly physical and determined player that could fit in to the first team in an emergency. He has work to do on his technical skills though. I may look to send Ashley out on loan. Experience would serve him well.

image.png.0b6392dccf58737a372e081b92294613.png

U18s

There are a few prospects in the U18s. Kirk Gerrard is a pacey left footed wide man and Joe Feeney a similar player on the right. Peter Nicol is a young Scot with plenty of potential in central midfield. I am not convinced by too many others though.

Coaching Team

You may have noticed that three coaches have travelled with me from Wycombe. My Assistant Manager at both Wycombe and Weymouth was Louis Langdown. We have formed a partnership and Louis had to come up north with me.

image.png.f76d22089b3cae0c61cce73a3dbcab3b.png

Also tagging along with me are Paul Jewell and Gareth Holmes.

image.png.2597c4bdbbfc667c5b777990df43d72b.png

image.png.247cad9d9a8d078df2feb0a60e2384be.png

I suspect a number of coaches left with the sacked Shaun Derry and I will aim to fill our coaching roster out a bit.

The Squad

We are lower on numbers than I'd like. I'd like a striker and one more in January. I will have to sell to buy - as evidenced by the finances, which I'll come to - and we will see what can be done in January. I'd say I'd get McDonagh but he is at Swansea. He is also not really a deeper lying forward.

image.png.3527769056b17fc3836067d7b7983373.png

The Finances

A worrying problem will be the finances. There is plenty of money in the bank but the club is really spending on wages; being £20k over budget. Our biggest earner is Mattia Caldara but I am not sure he can be sacrificed. Perhaps if I find a quality defender to replace the Italian with lower wages. Next are Nyambe, Rankin-Costello and Dack. Dack was listed when I arrived and could be sacrificed. Rankin-Costello is top scorer (with 3!) so I'm not so sure about him.

image.png.8551edb905826abff375626135830004.png image.png.8a771967f3ae6926c7f925a4895982b6.png

I hope the owner never leaves...

image.thumb.png.543445573f34dc05abaac893949ddce4.png

Upcoming Fixtures And Recent Games

image.png.8a9433a05705f40e2fca08e029701708.png

The results need to improve. The club has not won since October 25th when they beat Millwall 3-0. Three defeats so far in November means I need to see better in two weeks when we travel to Barnsley.

Well...back to training. This may be tougher than I envisioned but I am quietly confident. There are some good players here and they can win games. They just need to prove it.

I just hope things are not looking awful when we face Wycombe on February 10th.

Not sure if I'm excited or anxious...

happy zapp brannigan GIF

Well,i love you! Fortounis is one of my favourite players and we are from the same hometown(Trikala)! Good luck with him,he is most talented Greek player but sometimes he is lazy(also he had 2 very serious injuries in the last 3 years)... Good luck in your new job.:thup:

Edited by Sheriff7

2 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Well,i love you! Fortounis is one of my favourite players and we are from the same hometown(Trikala)! Good luck with him,he is most talented Greek player but sometimes he is lazy(also he had 2 very serious injuries in the last 3 years)... Good luck in your new job.:thup:

Haha, that's great. I must confess, I haven't had a chance to play since I wrote that. I think I'm going to have to experiment a bit to find out who's best for positions. With his lack of pace I suspect he'll be best sat central and just allowed to spray balls about. Long bank holiday weekend coming up so hopefully I'll have more to tell soon.

November 2025 - A Steady Start To My New Challenge

To be fair, we started with a performance to worry me, but things did get better as the games passed by. In an international break friendly we demolished Bury 11-0 and looked very dangerous in attack. Of course, Bury are a different perspective but it gave me an idea of how well we can score.

image.png.024478f856430fd8de00911e2175b51b.png

We were incredibly off the pace against a Barnsley team that are pushing for a play off spot. As I have already said, we were poor throughout. Our frontline of Rankin-Costello, Fortounis, Bowler and Granero were seemingly absent without leave and when the already booked Darragh Lenihan stupidly got himself sent off on the hour mark we soon fell to a Barnsley winner. To give the lads credit, after I had shouted at them from the touchline, we gave it a bit of a go late on. Lewis Morgan replaced Rankin-Costello and I saw some energy there.

It was a first game to forget.

We had a chance to prove ourselves just a few days later when we welcomed Huddersfield for my first game at Ewood Park. Huddersfield are firmly mid table and I believed we had a chance to turn them over. We were much, much better and Josh Bowler had a number of chances as he broke continually past the full back on the right. Sadly for Josh, Town keeper Nicholls was in great form and saved all three efforts, as well as effort from Lozano and Morgan late on.

When we did score it came from possibly the least likely source. With just a quarter of the match remaining, Krystan Bielik swung a corner in to the near post that Hayden Carter, deputising for the suspended Lenihan, charged on to and beat four players to. His bullet header nestled in the back of the net for our first goal under my tenure.

My first Blackburn win too. We were off and running.

image.png.7d3127e9a5f8af1715fa33870c8c7fb8.png

At the weekend we we welcomed Wigan to Ewood Park for a media hyped local derby. Wigan were in deep trouble in the bottom three places and their energy and desire to win would make for a feisty affair. If truth be told, the Latics were the better side in the first half and Yaser Asprilla was a constant danger down the left side.

It was we who took the lead though. Although injured by the also aggressive Asprilla, Nyambe got to the byeline and sent a pinpoint cross in that Rankin-Costello got his head to. Asprilla went off at half time, mainly because of a second injury sustained in a reckless, if dangerous, performance. That made our second half job a little easier, though Wigan still challenged. When they did break our defence and keeper were sublime.

Ten minutes in to the half we scored our second from the penalty spot courtesy of Kostas Fortounis. Bielik had been bundled over on the edge of the box and the referee had no hesitation.

I will happily accept six points from my first three games. We look dangerous going forward and reasonably secure at the back. Hayden Carter has given me a selection headache after his game winning performance, and our captain's recklessness. Bowler is all pace down the right, even if his finishing has not yet proved successful. In the middle of the park, Bielik has been solid in a role that allows more creativity than the last manager seemingly gave him. Fortounis was better against Wigan but very poor in the previous two games and I'm not convinced by anyone up front yet. I'd like to see a bit more effort from Lozano.

We find ourselves up to 19th though, and six points clear of the relegation spots.

image.png.8031831f3454e20ee45e54df2852460a.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Everton still top the pile in England's top flight. Defeat to Stoke has made things tighter but the Toffees followed that up with wins over Bournemouth, Wolves and Palace. Arsenal and Manchester City are the teams challenging and have opened up a small gap.

Bournemouth are back in the relegation zone after gaining just two points in November. It is not looking much better for Manchester United who find themselves languishing in 15th after losing the Manchester derby a few days before writing this.

image.png.0245ca5c5e9b26b6a878cdda798bc63e.png  image.png.f527c2d39087a27ec0873f6627963774.png

European Leagues

The revenge of Bayern is well and truly on in the Bundesliga as the Munich club find themselves already eleven points clear of Dortmund. PSG are back on top too, by two points from Monaco. In Scotland, Dundee United are off the top, to be replaced by Aberdeen. Despite having played a game more, the Dons top Rangers and the re-emerging Celtic by four points.

In honour of my new vice-captain we'll have a look at Poland's Ekstraklasa this month. Things are tight between Legia and Lech at the top and the battling sides have built up a small gap. Krystian played for both so he'll be happy, no doubt.

image.thumb.png.86f9d962acb55ccf309a7a91769989ef.png

European World Cup Qualifying

I promised we'd take a look at the European qualifiers for the North American World Cup after the first stage finished this month. The biggest team to miss out qualifying direct would be Switzerland. France were the team I said had some work to do but they ended up qualifying comfortably.

The four second placed teams to miss out are Wales, Czech Republic, Norway and Austria.

image.thumb.png.b74cece49ed037fcf61008fd3810d6ee.png

World Cup 2026: Final Qualifiers

The last two qualifiers were decided in the US on 18th November as Qatar beat Trinidad 2-0 and Ivory Coast beat Venezuela 3-1 in the finals of the Play-Offs. The hopes of two newcomers had been dashed in the semi-finals as Suriname and Solomon Islands had been dispatched by the eventual final losers.

There will be three newcomers though: Syria, Thailand and Cape Verde.

image.png.232d7078402a95c90682e36a1212fecb.png

The tournament will be scheduled on 13th December 2025 and will kick off 11th June 2026.

Former Club Watch

Weymouth

The Terras had a mixed November and still find themselves outside the play off places in 11th. There a good win for the club in the Second Round of the Trophy and they'll play Tonbridge Angels next.

image.png.f7a7b565b47def218adfdd463261b500.png

image.png.c05b299b9400e8f59dd56d29e251794d.png

Wycombe Wanderers

The Chairboys have accrued just one point since I left, courtesy of a 3-3 draw with Sunderland. They lost well to a good Southampton side but only suffered a narrow defeat to Fulham. Those were the two of the three games I had identified as the toughest challenges at the start of the season.

Scrimy seems to have fallen out of favour with the caretaker boss as does Mandela Egbo. Both are touted as being on their way out of Adams Park.

Wanderers have dropped to 8th.

image.png.2d8a345fdd15b69a2ef124dd9288a4f9.png

December

December sees us face a tough home tie against Southampton. We also face Birmingham on Boxing Day, the second of two ties against the Brummies this month, and a TV tie against the current third placed West Brom side on 28th. In amongst that lot of very winnable ties against Peterborough and rock bottom Charlton.

My aim is to have another ten to twelve points under our belts by 2026.

image.png.a54e9cac4cbe3c8c1d76c20d1e72f2d0.png

See you in the New Year.

EDIT:

I meant to add that two new coaches have joined the club in a bid to up the stature of our back room. You might recognise them. One is a former Rovers star man and the other just a star.

image.png.204fc7837b5d1d4b54f2529b7b34a5df.png

image.png.1095de43025da423c963a2c632d31907.png

Edited by anagain

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but had a little break and have been enjoying Farthest Frontier

December 2025 - Met My Points Total Wish For The Month

We haven't lost in eight games now, but things are far from perfect. The squad are not quite used to my management just yet and there's been dissent. I may have been a little overly critical in a team meeting but I feel my words were taken too harshly. We went out next game and scored three, so it did some good.

image.png.8088cffcd31169243d98ae4e28a49782.png

We started December with a comfortable win over a struggling Birmingham side. Late goals from Rankin-Costello and Nyambe, after Jordan Thompson had been sent off for Brum, sealed the three points. Midweek we welcomed a rampant Southampton side and held them to a goalless draw. We also did the same to Peterborough when we should maybe have won. Both games were a defensive masterclass from Caldara, Carter and Lenihan over the two games.

There was another draw as we drew 1-1 with Charlton in London and that was when I decided to have a chat with the squad. I thought the draws might be because I'd had a visit from a few players regarding Nicolas Jenssen not getting enough game time. I had an inkling that Lenihan, Travis and Nymabe were supportive of me not bowing to Jenssen's insistence of game time but they had come to me to argue I play him. I asked if they wanted to lose their places for him and Lenihan had the decency to look abashed. Ironically all three players are tagged as being against Jenssen - I guess they just wanted an argument. In the team chat I told the players we have the ability to do much better. They said I was being too critical.

As I said though, it did some good. Home to Birmingham we were two-up inside half an hour with Granero scoring a beauty. Brum got one back just after the break but Caldara replied soon after. Jordan Thompson, the man sent off in our last meeting, got an hour mark goal to make it squeaky bum time but we held on for a good win.

image.png.7a77ec2f315c6378fb43287d8d3d348a.png

A few days later we welcomed promotion chasing West Brom in front of the cameras. Things couldn't have started any worse with Lewis Travis being sent off for a horrid tackle before the break. The game had been a bit of a tempestuous affair up to that point but West Brom came out renewed for the second half and took the lead six minutes later. We were a man down and not performing. I urged the lads on and we managed to keep a rampant West Brom side out with a determined effort.

Going in to injury time I was thinking we might have to accept a 1-0 defeat when Ryan Norrington-Davies gave us hopes with a second yellow. It was attack on and substitute Bradley Dack was free on the break to tap home our equaliser. It deserves another image. It wasn't all good news, however, as Granero was injured for four weeks in a late tackle. Just as he's hit real form.

image.thumb.png.f34d31dea8b504043110027a6427929d.png

After the game there was much chatter about how we're an aggressive team. Albion's Scott Parker stood up for us but I had Talk Sport on the phone the next day asking if we were too aggressive. Yes, I added the last bit...never realised there was a character limit though.

image.png.b7a4b3ff2e6f2defdde7d5e88b274e2e.png

But, yes, Just as I got a player to hit some form he gets injured. Granero has been so good the last two games.

image.png.247edac1156f2b6282ac21878faf69bb.png

We're in a handsome 16th place in the Championship now. We're starting to put fears of relegation behind us.

image.png.50eb08888ec9bd7f9ced457dbcbaf9bd.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

Arabian megabucks Newcastle are top of the Premier League at the end of 2025, although they have the same record as Arsenal but for four goals. Sixth placed Everton are only two points behind though. It is tight at the top of the Premier League.

Manchester United had an undefeated December and are now 7th, all be it six points behind Everton. Tottenham are still languishing mid table.

Bournemouth had good wins over Burnley and Leicester in December and are one point above the relegation spots.

Game of the month will have to be Arsenal's 3-1 away demolition of former frontrunners Everton.

image.png.65a56f6fd9cd2c5a8ccb79bc97bbe4ea.png  image.png.14343eff86a19ba1e45c393168ce24f9.png

European Club Competitions

The knockout rounds have been drawn in Europe. Here are the draws;

Champions League

image.png.ff8ab5bccde476bd16549878cb9e687d.png

Europa League

image.png.bc5defcfd7ab2c8a3d672c62578339c1.png

Europa Conference League

image.png.4ea5e9b4ac1899b54a22cd054dfc9597.png

European Leagues

The end of 2025 sees Bayern firmly cementing their dominance in Germany but it's still tight for PSG in France. In Scotland, Aberdeen are now six points clear of Celtic at the top. This month we will have a look the Australian A-League, because why not. Brisbane are on top, having played just 11 games.

image.thumb.png.7e8c4b4de942afde30f5ab591c23e3f5.png

Former Club Watch

Wycombe Wanderers

You've seen the table - look up - but it is fair to say Wycombe did not have a good December and the Chairboys have dropped to 10th. All my hard work gone for a burton.

image.png.a22b36b60c4cd9086dad251ff7c35083.png

Wycombe do have a new manager though. It's my old mate, Mr Duckie. I mentioned Donovan Duckie when I saw he had been given the Luton job a few seasons back. I did actually mention it to SI and they replied to say there was an error with his reputation. I like Donovan though.  He's a Reggae Boy.

image.png.ebc84a7a096a824176ece95caa0a896f.png

Donovan has been at Wycombe ten days now and overseen 1-0 defeats to Charlton and Norwich and a 2-1 defeat to West Brom. That was a toughish start though.

Weymouth FC

Weymouth have nosedived, gaining just one win in December, and that was in the Trophy. They beat Faversham and will face Notts County next. In the league they got just one point this month, home to Slough. Weymouth are now 17th.

image.png.8f8e0207868905acf24b896c66e97604.png

image.png.ccc7d2d527a9e64a83bfca809e5e81e8.png

Poole Town are having a season to forget, though even they beat Hayes & Yeading in December.

January...

A mixed bag in January. Reading are doing well and may be our toughest test but Boro have a new manager and we know little of what to expect. January also sees us enter the cup home to struggling Wigan.

image.png.4a883d1f0b818d5149710ea87009605f.png

More importantly, the window is open. I am expecting some activity. Players want to leave and I will accept bids. I need to impose my footprint on this team. I'd like a forward and a central midfielder. We only really have Bielnik and Travis. Dack can drop back at a need but he has signalled an interest to play elsewhere. Soro has not impressed me and he clearly does not want to be here, nor does he seem to like me.

I would love to cash in on Lozano but he's not been here long and I suspect that would be a bad idea. He's just not firing though. A quiet word may be needed...again. Fortounis is the same though I do see a bit more chance of improvement from the Greek.

Bielnik is wanted. Do we cash in, hopefully get a nice fee and save £21k in wages? That is a tough call and I am sure the fans wouldn't be happy. I would want £10m, at least. Nyambe is also wanted. I want £20m-£25m for him.

One thing for sure is there will be a clear out in the youth ranks to free up wages. I will assess bids as they come in for first teamers.

I have been at Blackburn for nine games now and we have lost once. That is something to be proud of. I have been very impressed with wingers Josh Bowler and Joe Rankin-Costello. I just wish Josh could finish, he has so many chances. Bielnik is a wonderful player that is so key, and there is another reason we should keep him. Kaminski is a great keeper but his back up is suspect. The lad I am most impressed with to date is defender Hayden Carter. Hayden has scored twice and really impressed me with steady performances. He is keeping Lenihan out of the side.

I wonder what we will look like next I am here.

• 2 weeks later...

January 2025 - We Need A Goalscorer

January was a month of few goals and one that saw our first loss since my first game in charge, ending an unbeaten run of thirteen games. Ironically the board said they weren't happy with results. One loss, boss.

image.png.f12a516547961a6f097cb8e3aff379f7.png

We started the month off with a tough trip up to Middlesbrough on New Years Day and surprised a side under new management with a first half penalty from Kostas Fortounis.

FA Cup Interlude

We had a nice break after the Christmas rush next and faced Wigan in the cup afterwards. We had had a good win over the Latics in the league and I hoped for more of the same despite sending out a changed side. We never really looked like scoring but nor did Wigan. Our opponents had most posession but only managed one shot on target. It was a game best forgotten.

The replay would be a week Tuesday and we did our morale good with a 1-0 over play off chasing Reading courtesy of a late goal from Morgan. The replay was another dull affair and we snuck through to the fourth road thanks to a first goal under my stewardship from Anthony Lozano. The Honduran's goal came as he stayed forward and unmarked after our corner had been cleared. Rankin-Costello swung the ball back in from deep and Lozano had an easy finish.

image.png.5426712657dc1ebe8d2b84956bb9a105.png

The FA Cup squeakily navigated, we next travelled to Portsmouth and won a close game 2-1 thanks to early goals from Rankin-Costello and Nyambe. If truth be told, we coasted to a 2-0 lead and then seemed to switch off. Portsmouth bossed the game from the half hour mark onwards and will feel aggrieved they didn't win. Defensively, we were fantastic though. Bielik, Caldara, Lenihan and Nyambe putting in great performances. Man of the match went to Rankin-Costello, for a goal and an assist, though.

Last game of the month was our run ending loss. It came home to Millwall in a game we should never have lost. We had so many efforts at goal, with perhaps half falling to Bowler. If that man could finish he'd be a regular in the Premier League. Sadly, he can't finish. Millwall had taken the lead early through what I saw as a weak penalty. I had real hope early in the second half as MIllwall's Dudnyk receieved his marching orders for a horrid foul. We pushed forward and were getting closer to an equaliser when Nyambe did the unthinkable and picked up a stupid second yellow. That scuppered our threat and the match petered out to our loss.

Thankfully we are pretty clear of the relegation places now, but we were closing in on the play off places before that loss.

image.png.c8de59e238e97ce141da9262a3ca7d61.png

Transfer Window

January is also obviously transfer window time and it proved to be busier than I expected it to be. We lost but we also gained. I think we may be in a slightly better position but the media seem to think we've panic bought. Nonsense.

I'll start with the outs.

Outs

image.png.71ec9998aa17ab8e585ba0812ed4a925.png

The outs include loans deals that were able to happen outside the window as they involved non-league clubs. Bailey, Llewellyn, O'Donnell, Gerrard and Suraj are some of our more highly rated youngsters and they've been allowed out to prove themselves and learn in a competitive environment.

Sam McCallum wanted to leave for first team football and I was happy to agree. He heads off to the US.

Hackford, Clifton and Atmodimedjo are more fringe players whose wages I wanted freed up. I wanted more players out on loan but nobody wanted them.

Then came the first big sale of the window for us. I had had a bid for Nyambe and had turned it down without our right back kicking up a fuss. Lewis Travis was different as he told me he had to be allowed to speak to Stoke when they put a bid in. I agreed I'd entertain offers but the club he chose in the end were promotion chasing Championship club Brentford. When I said good luck to him he said he actually thought it maybe wasn't a step up. Too late, Trav, I had a nice £7m income by that point and would spend it wisely, or at least what the board allowed me of it.

Paulauskas was a strange one. I didn't rate him but Brentford really seem to and they put in quite a few bids. I wanted more than £33k but it's better than nothing.

Next was a sale I really didn't like. It worried me with, I think, just eight hours left in the window. Premier League Stoke put in a bid for Thomas Kaminski and our number one said he wanted to leave so I accepted. Remarkably, Stoke alllowed us to loan him back till the end of the season and I was relieved I wouldn't have to find a keeper in a short amount of time. I had targets but didn't want to be left short were they to fall through. We got a nice £2.8m and Thomas' wages of the books whilst keeping him. Win win.

Jon Tanner and Ashley Phillips have gone for football and a chance to prove themselves in League One. Chuba Akpom became very surplus to requirements, as you'll soon see, so I offered him out and got £625k from Odense.

Ins

image.png.3d7c92a3ea775f649e4e4df2aa4fce8c.png

There are less ins but I think we have done some real sterling business. I totally refute charges of panic buying.

Harrison Clark

Clark is a young Scottish central midfielder that I thought could do well based on his work rate, mentals and fitness. By the end of the window I was thinking the £350k I spent was not so good a deal but I hope Harrison can do well and prove himself one for the future. He looked good in his one appearance to date. Yes, this is another case of the fans aren't too happy. What do they know?

image.png.47a58d87aae3152294464357f22f6880.png

image.png.41048067dd4beb7b3b884199513ed80e.png

Scott Robertson

Another signing from Scotland and the first of two from Celtic is midfielder Scott Robertson. Scott was cheap and a bargain. We picked the 24 year old up for just £65k. Scott is a hard working box to boxer that will run all day.

image.png.a7bcfc5f029d34285ae50568c8e65498.png

image.png.af15bf4178957096a36c98243bc9b7ee.png

Josip Juranović

I wasn't happy with the depth we had at wing back after the departure of McCallum and turned to another bargain buy from Celtic that can play either side of defence, but is probably most comfortable on the right. Josip could also play further forward or slot in to midfield. I am very happy with the acquisition of Josip but this was the first of two transfers that attracted the panic buying tag. How do you panic buy for a bargain £78k, I ask you? Nyambe will be highly sought after in the summer, that I am sure of, Josip can settle in before then and be a natural replacement.

image.png.2c36766d2363506ba039cdc96fa41a16.png

image.png.c22afce7f843c567d60ff09a1822de44.png

Joe Gelhardt

And on to the man I think can get us scoring, Joe Gelhardt. Joe joins us on loan from Leeds and I do firmly believe he can do what our other strikers can't seem to do with regularity; score goals. Joe hasn't come cheap but goals cost money. I'll start Joe up front but he can play wide. I see him as a link up man that can score goals. Can he be a Bobby Firmino for us? Perhaps I'm hoping for a lot but you never know.

image.png.11c1d831cd109941fe8912002f89fdfb.png

image.png.a5eca650586cf087ef913eb4ae83d5ee.png

Lazar Mijović

Lazar is a young Montenegrin capped 16 times. He joins us on loan from Roma and I hope he can be a scoring Josh Bowles. He doesn't have as much pace as Josh but surely he can finish better. This the other panic buy. As if? I know he's not a panic buy because I spent an age looking for one more man to play center mid or maybe back up left back. In the end I decided any purchase would indeed be panicking.

image.png.4f6acc33517778d0f7197304b5559e51.png

image.png.ab33aa381246d0d0b1559f67bc133674.png

In the Championship Fulham were the biggest spenders whilst Brentford got the most players in. I'm not sure our record of most players out counts. Few would have started in the league. Fulham spent a whopping £19m on midfielder Matheus Fernandes from Leeds. Only Brentford spent close to that on a player as they signed Pablo Mari for £10m, also from Leeds.

The biggest English signing was Manchester United's purchase of Real Madrid's Artur Cabral for £83m.

image.png.4546ed50100f700ef413149e2e0c00e0.png

Elsewhere...

With the window lengthening January's write up I'll just do a quick look at the Premier League. Arsenal have opened up a six point gap at the top, with Martin Ødegaard key to their success with 11 assists this season.

Near the bottom there was a change of fortunes at Bournemouth. The early season poor form saw the departure of Mowbray and - in a real world possible parallel - Sean Dyche is the new man at the helm. Dyche's first two results were a 3-3 draw at City and a 2-1 loss to Leeds. The Cherries are up to 14th.

image.png.28e39ca80bf89b50ce91791a6cbff795.png

Former Club Watch

Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe are down to 15th now and Donovan Duckie's start has not set the world alight. A good 3-0 win over Birmingham was the highlight of the month. The Chairboys also beat Plymouth to set up an FA Cup Fourth Round tie with Peterborough but they suffered a 4-1 loss to Sheffield United in the last game of January.

Duckie is doing his North American best for Wycombe, signing Barbadian Dru Yearwood and Ricardo Hamilton, a young American keeper, in the window. Mandela Egbo has left the club in what appears to have been a swap deal for Tom Hamer.

Weymouth

A slight upturn in form for the Terras saw wins over Gosport, Bath, Poole and Dartford lift them to 12th in the National League South. The start of a run perhaps?

February

There are a lot of games crammed in to a short month in February and we have two lots of three games in a week. We finally face my old boys of Wycombe and we also have tough ties against Norwich and Brentford.

image.png.50de42deb91716322f009b82fae502a7.png

In what may become a new regular thought, I'll take 10 points from those fixtures.

Let's hope the new lads bed in well, if so we could have a late grab for the play offs. We can do it!

We Can Do It Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

15 hours ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Nice update and some decent signings there for the prices paid. 

Thanks. I was delighted to get the Celtic pair for so laughably cheap. Most of the players I looked at were in the millions. Celtic's loss, my gain. :D

February 2026 - A Month Lacking In Consitency

February was frustrating in that we just couldn't put together any form, nor did we meet targets I had aimed for at the end of January. To add to the mixed feelings, we're out of the cup.

image.png.5e2a5f2dc17bd949cc7e07c4f4de7137.png

With a brand new bunch of players I went into out first match of February, away to Preston, with optimism. Juranovic was disappointing, as was Gelhardt, and we failed to turn home a number of chances. Preston took the lead from the penalty spot and we equalised from the spot, Lewis Morgan getting a late equaliser. We lost one of the best players in the squad, Guillermo Granero, to injury after another poor tackle on the Spaniard.

Then came a run of two defeats. The first was a 1-0 loss at Luton in the cup. It was a really lacklustre performance in which not one player on my team shone. Juranovic was truly dire, Gelhardt little better and Robertson marginally better than that. Up second was my old Wycombe team and I really felt I had to win or be humiliated and my move to Blackburn be put in question. Wycombe were on a slide down the table under Duckie but they put us to the sword with a second minute penalty to win the game. Again, we had more than enough chances to win the game. Our finishing needs to be better. Pring was the man to put in a truly dire performance this time out and I had words with the left back after the game.

In a busy month we were suffering bruises. Having to rotate heavily, we faced Blackpool next in a game we really had to win. Again we we created bundles of chances but it took a late, late penalty from Dack to give us the much needed win I craved. Mijovic was the first of my new signings to put in a really good performance and it would be a sign of things to come.

We enjoyed a well earned week off before we next faced top club Norwich at home. Following on from the Blackpool win we started strongly but fell a goal down against the run of play. That really spurred the lads on and we found ourselves 2-1 up before the half hour mark. Two new signings combined for the first goal, Roberston putting Mijovic through on goal with a lovely ball. Our second was a strange own goal prodded home by Loftus-Cheek. It wasn't to be though as Norwich scored in a slow second half to rescue a point. I will take a point against a good side though.

image.thumb.png.454ad924e606ef2d8021621d83a6b7e3.png

Could we follow up a good point against the eladers by going to Brentford and getting a result? The answer would be no despite a great start. Mijovic opened the scoring with his second goal in two games but Brentford finished the better team to grab all three points. Just as a player hits form it seems injury rears its ugly head. This was the case with Mijovic in this game. We also lost Juranovic to injury and saw another poor performance from Gelhardt. We need to see more from Joe.

Up last in a busy month were our FA Cup conquerors, Luton. The Hatters have been struggling and I wanted revenge for the cup game and a win to take in to March. We got the three points but it couldn't have been later. We bossed the game and had so many chances again. I was getting desperate near the end and pushed the lads forward. Fortounis, who has come back in to the side recently, showed he can play football and sent across a lovely ball for Nyambe to finsih at the far post. The time? 94 minutes.

We keep finding ourselves on the verge of fighting for a play off spot only to then blow it with inconsistency. Hopefully that lucky - it was - late win at Luton can fire us on to a late challenge.

image.png.7fcc1440dc8df9917f4088a6d03f8068.png

Elsewhere...

English Premier League

The end of February sees Arsenal top in England and Everton still going great in second place. Newcastle have risen to see the usual suspects of City, Chelsea and Liverpool further down the table. Manchester United are still struggling down in 9th and Spurs have only managed to rise to 11th.

Bournemouth are four points above the drop zone but still in 17th. This is after a terrible February for Dyche that saw the Cherries knocked out of the cup and lose to Newcastle and Arsenal. The cup game hadbeen against Arsenal so we'll let the club off seeing as how they faced the top three in England.

image.png.fc7a8d8c04adff29a039445724505ccc.png

In League One Derby are flying as we head in to the final run in. Behind them there is quite a battle for the other promotion place and the play offs.

image.png.be3c0e48087cb495d34cfd5f73074c6a.png

In League Two Fleetwood have opened up a five point gap but there are still quite a few teams battling for the play offs. At the foot of the Football League, Barnet are struggling to maintain their league status with an eight point gap to safety.

image.png.a9686d50b292f608261608711b15f3c0.png

Euro Leagues

in the big leagues across Europe Bayern, Porto and Inter are looking most secure. Inter top Serie A by eight points, Porto top Liga Bwin by eleven points and Bayern head the Bundesliga by a massive fifteen points. PSG trail Monaco in France and Lyon are just behind. It's looking like a tight run in in Ligue 1.

We'll stay a little closer to home for this month's guest league and look at the Danske Bank Premiership in Northern Ireland. Linfild have a four point lead over Larne with Glenavon just another point behind.

image.thumb.png.98165e6d5962d3e84a5341f8b0e0dfb5.png

Former Club Watch

Wycombe Wanderers

We've already seen Wycombe this month as they toppled us early in February. It has been an otherwise poor month for the Chairboys. Only a 2-2 draw at home to Millwall meant they didn't lose every other game in February. Duckie clearly needs to do better.

The side have slid down the league to 17th but they should be safe.

image.png.867a77ce1033909e6988b0cf5f33ce76.png

Weymouth

Weymouth had a pretty good February, losing just once and gaining nine points to see them go in to March in 12th. The play offs are not out of the question for the Terras.

Home town club Poole had a better month but are still bottom and seven points from safety.

image.png.62baea55d0ffd0b742e7180ead164697.png

image.png.3b12e2fbae7f379391214cf1746d425a.png

March...

March is much quieter than February with just four games. I need to see better from Gelhardt and Juranovic and can hopefully see the return of Mijovic as well as a possible outside chance of seeing Granero. March's toughest game will be home to Fulham but I think we can get ten points from these four games if we perform as I know we can.

image.png.651b7be1247469e46685618fd85ec0f7.png

Join me next month to see if we are any closer to making a bid for a late play off challenge.

I do aim to finish this season but am wondering if that will be it for FM22. It depends on the FM23 features. When they're announced. That being said, I'm still not finding a lot of time for midweek FM. Satisfactory also released a new update and that's very much a favourite game of mine. I'll try to be back next week.