Does anyone here use 'Swap Positions With' regularly? If so, how do you use it?

In my current save with Forest, I have Joao Carvalho with a personal instruction to play as a TQ at AML and AMC. The team default is set up with IFa and APa in those two positions. In certain games, I'll set Carvalho to swap with whoever is playing in the other position. That way he'll always play as TQ in those spots and it will mix up our patterns of attack, so it's theoretically more confusing for the oppostion to defend.

I have a save where the SS(A) and PF(S) are set to swap positions. Both first team players can comfortably play both positions, so my intent is that by the players fluidly switching between both positions, it makes it harder for the defenders to actively mark them. It's not quite working like that yet though, with my PF(S) having 3 goals and my SS(A) having 5 assists, but I'm on a 5 match unbeaten run so I won't complain too much.

1 hour ago, Marabak said:

so my intent is that by the players fluidly switching between both positions, it makes it harder for the defenders to actively mark them

Sadly, it's not how this works. Players just swap their positions for a certain period of time, so let's say your player plays as PF-S for a period of time then he swaps around and plays as SS-A for another period. It's kinda an useless feature, it just automates it, so you don't have to swap them manually. They wont interchange their positions like players do IRL.