How do you play against 4-1-4-1?

So I play as RB Salzburg in Austria. You would think that´s a fairly easy save, but every single team meet me with incredible boring defensive tactics, meaning all matches will be basically the clock ticking on extended highlights with occasionally cuts of them scoring a goal. So, how do you play against a team that uses, for example, a 4-1-4-1 with what looks like very urgent pressing? Never mind my tactis, how would you play?

I use 'Very Attacking', shorter passing, standard tempo, and BOTH 'Pass Into Space' and 'Work Ball Into Box'. I throw everyone into the box except a DLP and two CD. Quite often it is the IWBa making unmarked runs into the box that lead to the breakthrough. They are high priority to be subbed because of the amount of distance they have to cover in a single match. Wide width for team, and both IWa 'Stay Wider' and only cut inside when they receive the ball to stretch the opposition, and create spaces in the middle for underlaps by my central midfielders and IWBa.

I use 'Mark Specific Position' to remind both my CDLstopper and CDRcover to keep watch for the lone route-one opposition TM/PF. CDLstopper is on standard press and tight marking. CDRcover on less press. Nothing much I can do with the opposition NCD/BPD pumping those long punts so I have resigned to just letting them do their thing. Specific marking jobs as well for my wingers and fullbacks in case they counter through the flanks. I don't use offside.

Make sure your corner and freekick routines are top notch, and you have decent takers, preferably in-swingers for corners.

Edited by jeerinho

5 hours ago, Viking said:

So I play as RB Salzburg in Austria. You would think that´s a fairly easy save, but every single team meet me with incredible boring defensive tactics, meaning all matches will be basically the clock ticking on extended highlights with occasionally cuts of them scoring a goal. So, how do you play against a team that uses, for example, a 4-1-4-1 with what looks like very urgent pressing? Never mind my tactis, how would you play?

It’s very hard to say without seeing your tactic, but if your (superior) team is not able to create quality chances, it’s most likely down to a tactics, that’s restricting options for direct penetration too much or is way too adventurous for your players abilities. However, I doubt the latter one.

So my answer to your question: allow more direct penetration, proberbly on and off the ball

Edited by CARRERA

• 3 weeks later...