Help me with a 4132

Guys, I'm using a tactic inspired by Eduardo Coudet who until recently was training Internacional (Brazil), he was hired by Celta de Vigo and applies the same style to the Spanish team.

I implemented some things that I think are more suited to his style but I'm having little success. I would like some suggestions to balance this tactic as best as possible. 

The players are not bad for a second division in Spain, but the negative results are frustrating me

image.png.94956c2420f482cb9c25933cd0c427cf.png

8 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

My team seems to be fragile defensively, I can't find a balance

Is there a pattern to how you're getting exposed at the back? 

My first thought would be whether these players are good enough to pull off the offside trap ? I know when I'm outside the top division I struggle to consistently play a good offside trap due to the quality of my defenders. I know your players are relatively good, but good that still be part of your problem? With your higher line and a standard goalkeeper role potentially meaning your goalkeeper is quite far back, I do wonder if there's then alot of space between the two for attackers to take advantage of ?

I would say I'm by no means as competent tactically as many of the other users on here, just trying to help! 

Edit: expanded on my main point.

Edited by DeepThought

59 minutos atrás, DeepThought disse:

My first thought would be whether these players are good enough to pull off the offside trap ? I know when I'm outside the top division I struggle to consistently play a good offside trap due to the quality of my defenders. I know your players are relatively good, but good that still be part of your problem? With your higher line and a standard goalkeeper role potentially meaning your goalkeeper is quite far back, I do wonder if there's then alot of space between the two for attackers to take advantage of ?

I would say I'm by no means as competent tactically as many of the other users on here, just trying to help! 

Initially I used a GK that could advance to cover balls behind the defense but as he is not good with his feet I decided to change the function.

Regarding the quality of the defenders, I believe that they are able to stay in line.

I haven't noticed any goal patterns that I concede, I can confirm that my team creates a lot of chances but in a few moves the opponent is more surgical

I appreciate your feedback

12 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Initially I used a GK that could advance to cover balls behind the defense but as he is not good with his feet I decided to change the function.

Regarding the quality of the defenders, I believe that they are able to stay in line.

I haven't noticed any goal patterns that I concede, I can confirm that my team creates a lot of chances but in a few moves the opponent is more surgical

No worries mate. 

I think the most useful thing would be to pinpoint what's happening when you play the tactic, there will be something consistent. 

If not the offside trap, my second thought would be whether the movements in the middle causes the issue. You've got WB who go up, and then from that midfield 3 you've got dual mezzala pulling wide and a roaming playmaker I'm not sure where. In my head, this could create a situation where you've got a big hole in the centre of the park (that they've vacated) with your 3 man defence (Hb and two cb) trying to cover that gap, and the gap either side where the WB have gone forward, and the gap between the the goalkeeper and their line. Because you're counter pressing, the out of position players aren't trying to get back to position when you lose the ball, meaning some of these gaps may remain open. This could then be exacerbated by the extremely urgent press, because this defensive trio is already having to position to cover quite alot of space and just one of these defensive figures being pulled out of shape to press is likely to leave quite a big hole. 

Does that sound like anything you see ?

Edited by DeepThought

3 horas atrás, DeepThought disse:

Try a standard defensive line and line of engagement and knock the pressing intensity down a notch, having players closing down so intensely and so high up the field leaves room for their forwards to find space with counter attacks and through balls 

On 31/12/2020 at 20:58, Nick_CB said:

My team seems to be fragile defensively, I can't find a balance

Well, that's no surprise to me given that you:

- use extremely aggressive defensive instructions (including the prevent short GKD, which makes little (if any) sense in a system with only 2 players up front)

- don't have a single holding or covering midfield role in the CM area (to the contrary, all 3 are highly roaming primarily attack-minded roles, especially the mezzalas)

33 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Well, that's no surprise to me given that you:

- use extremely aggressive defensive instructions (including the prevent short GKD, which makes little (if any) sense in a system with only 2 players up front)

- don't have a single holding or covering midfield role in the CM area (to the contrary, all 3 are highly roaming primarily attack-minded roles, especially the mezzalas)

Do you think I should change the mezzalas to carrileros? since they have more defensive coverage characteristics?

30 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Do you think I should change the mezzalas to carrileros? since they have more defensive coverage characteristics?

Carrilero(s) would definitely help to improve defensive solidity, but you also need to assign the role to a suitable player. 

However, even with carrileros, the issue of aggressive defensive TIs may still remain the source of defensive troubles. Anyway, try the carrileros and see what happens. Report back if further advice is needed :thup:

1 hora atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Carrilero(s) would definitely help to improve defensive solidity, but you also need to assign the role to a suitable player. 

However, even with carrileros, the issue of aggressive defensive TIs may still remain the source of defensive troubles. Anyway, try the carrileros and see what happens. Report back if further advice is needed :thup:

I changed my style focused on high pressure, I pulled back the lines to have more field and take advantage of counter attacks

image.png.5370c0656eb94976a48b4806a46e54c9.png

I also changed the roles of advanced players, I want them to be able to open the defense for Bogusz to use all his quality

image.png.6c6f320d7a21c7029803181d419d910e.png

My first match after these changes, Bogusz was lethal, I notice that there is more compression between sectors, facilitating zone marking

image.png.8fd4ab0f083bb027cfada1ee5e0e597e.png

1962442363_2021-01-0122-02-55.gif.009f0cffa3bef91c0dd958fd7609467f.gif

Perfect infiltration

Edited by Nick_CB