FM21 - Vitoria De Guimaraes

FMunderachiever

Hi Everyone

Would really appreciate thoughts on squad building.

Im approaching the end of season 1 with Vitoria de Guimaraes of Portugal. Really enjoyable and by the league table, we could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th. 1st is admittedly a long shot now, but im hoping i can end the season with my primary objective of getting into the champions league

897264135_Screenshot2020-12-15at23_38_43.thumb.png.a057688d6a345de245f57673c5046190.png

Im having some issues identifying how to improve the squad.

Im tending to prefer this tactic as my "usual" tactic that i will then make adaptations to to counter specific threats or opponents. I also sometimes use a "mirror" version of this tactic, where everything is flipped around role wise to the opposite sides:

450948494_Screenshot2020-12-15at23_39_51.thumb.png.92058060eb9a9664cf15ffa90d62c09c.png

My issue is, I know im basically going to have no money, and ive got some absolutely critical players on loan, and the star man is Edwards who i would assume is going to be very hard to keep.

The signing of Emile Smith-Rowe on loan has been critical he has performed superbly. But he plays in a position whereby when he returns to Arsenal, i am going to be severely weakened in that area.

Likewise, Bisseck has been a rock at the back with Mensah at left back.

I dont really know what to do with the squad.

Id like to have 2 players for every position, as i anticipate im going to be in Europe next season and the extra games will break us.

Would you look to sell Edwards who is valued at over £20 million now, and look to reinvest that money? It seems like not only the lack of budget, but the lack of wages we can offer is going to massively hold us back.

I would be all ears if you had any suggestions for the following positions:

AML that can play as an inside forward or raumdeuter - Ive tried to tap up Talles Magno and he wont come. Ive had a look at Thomas Buitink from Vitesse, got all the attributes i want but scout says he wont adapt well, and wages is a big issue.

AMR that can play as an inside forward or winger - Doesnt fit with the clubs philosophy of signing youngsters but Ben from Red Star Belgrade looks like he could fill this role.

MC - Needs to be very versatile and an all rounder. Agu and Andre Andre are a good partnership, but not happy with the back up options. Preferred option would be Jobson from Santos, but wages are a problem again. If it frees up funds elsewhere in the team, Nicolo Rovella looks a superb young option on loan from Arsenal.

DC - Want to play a high line so pace is important. Obviously looking for good anticipation, positioning, decisions. 14 is a good attribute score i think.

Ive brought in Felix Nmecha from Man City on a free. This is a gamble but could be a good creative option in attacking midfield.

Will be looking to offload: Denis Poha, Quaresma, Abouchabaka, Estupinan, Duarte, Guedes, Fernandes, Jhonattan.

Any suggestions would be really helpful, im really finding it hard to identify quality cheap targets

Thanks

10 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Hi Everyone

Would really appreciate thoughts on squad building.

Im approaching the end of season 1 with Vitoria de Guimaraes of Portugal. Really enjoyable and by the league table, we could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th. 1st is admittedly a long shot now, but im hoping i can end the season with my primary objective of getting into the champions league

897264135_Screenshot2020-12-15at23_38_43.thumb.png.a057688d6a345de245f57673c5046190.png

Im having some issues identifying how to improve the squad.

Im tending to prefer this tactic as my "usual" tactic that i will then make adaptations to to counter specific threats or opponents. I also sometimes use a "mirror" version of this tactic, where everything is flipped around role wise to the opposite sides:

450948494_Screenshot2020-12-15at23_39_51.thumb.png.92058060eb9a9664cf15ffa90d62c09c.png

My issue is, I know im basically going to have no money, and ive got some absolutely critical players on loan, and the star man is Edwards who i would assume is going to be very hard to keep.

The signing of Emile Smith-Rowe on loan has been critical he has performed superbly. But he plays in a position whereby when he returns to Arsenal, i am going to be severely weakened in that area.

Likewise, Bisseck has been a rock at the back with Mensah at left back.

I dont really know what to do with the squad.

Id like to have 2 players for every position, as i anticipate im going to be in Europe next season and the extra games will break us.

Would you look to sell Edwards who is valued at over £20 million now, and look to reinvest that money? It seems like not only the lack of budget, but the lack of wages we can offer is going to massively hold us back.

I would be all ears if you had any suggestions for the following positions:

AML that can play as an inside forward or raumdeuter - Ive tried to tap up Talles Magno and he wont come. Ive had a look at Thomas Buitink from Vitesse, got all the attributes i want but scout says he wont adapt well, and wages is a big issue.

AMR that can play as an inside forward or winger - Doesnt fit with the clubs philosophy of signing youngsters but Ben from Red Star Belgrade looks like he could fill this role.

MC - Needs to be very versatile and an all rounder. Agu and Andre Andre are a good partnership, but not happy with the back up options. Preferred option would be Jobson from Santos, but wages are a problem again. If it frees up funds elsewhere in the team, Nicolo Rovella looks a superb young option on loan from Arsenal.

DC - Want to play a high line so pace is important. Obviously looking for good anticipation, positioning, decisions. 14 is a good attribute score i think.

Ive brought in Felix Nmecha from Man City on a free. This is a gamble but could be a good creative option in attacking midfield.

Will be looking to offload: Denis Poha, Quaresma, Abouchabaka, Estupinan, Duarte, Guedes, Fernandes, Jhonattan.

Any suggestions would be really helpful, im really finding it hard to identify quality cheap targets

Thanks

If I was you I would just keep all of your best players, Get rid of the old players and just look at bringing in free transfers and look into the loan market etc.

Felix Nmecha is an awesome player. Get his brother in if you can. You will make profit off him. Also I know everyone signs him but look at bringing in Matias Arezo who is a cheap wonderkid and awesome.

It’s pretty much the same as yours just the AMC is an AM and where you have a BBM I have a BWM. I also haven’t tried focusing play down the flanks like you have in your tactic. My two main problems are that with the play it seems like we have no passing options and without the ball we struggle to win it back, the opposition almost always ends up in my final third. 

1 minute ago, lcutini said:

It’s pretty much the same as yours just the AMC is an AM and where you have a BBM I have a BWM. I also haven’t tried focusing play down the flanks like you have in your tactic. My two main problems are that with the play it seems like we have no passing options and without the ball we struggle to win it back, the opposition almost always ends up in my final third. 

Gotcha.

My tactic is based around the principle that sacko, rochinha and edwards can act as a passing triangle to draw defenders over to the right.

This leaves Smith Rowe and Foster more room to get onto the end of passes into space. Its really benefitted foster he has been a sensation for me.

I play a high line but drop the line of engagement back to standard.

Reason for this is teams quite often use 2 DMs against me. 

Im quite happy to concede space in wide areas but i really like to nick the ball in the opposition centre of the pitch and expose them with a quick transition.

I always go on the principle too that a midfielder will defend if the run comes from deep, like sacko. If the forward run is AHEAD of a central midfielder, that midfielder needs to support the forward run hence the roles you see.

For a little extra thrust going forward down the left side, rather than a BBM and IF(s) partnership ive tried a carrilero with foster as a raumdeuter and this also works well for creativity.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I realize I haven’t been thinking about creating space for other players and have mostly been focusing on how each player will act in his space. How has Edwards done in the more central role for you? I’ve used him almost exclusively as my IF and had rochinha play mostly through the middle. 

3 hours ago, lcutini said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! I realize I haven’t been thinking about creating space for other players and have mostly been focusing on how each player will act in his space. How has Edwards done in the more central role for you? I’ve used him almost exclusively as my IF and had rochinha play mostly through the middle. 

I like the trequartista role for edwards in my system.

It gives him the freedom to orchestrate the play but combined with the underlap right instruction it gets him into the box a little more too. Its ideal for me because although very technical rochinha doesnt have much pace so looking for the underlap means he plays a little more stationery and can switch it to Smith Rowe and Edwards which is ideal for me.

Foster has been a revelation for me he develops so well

First season finished, absolutely delighted with our finishing position:

389384703_Screenshot2020-12-18at23_59_09.thumb.png.9bfdc4b1dfb5c811898d1123ecdaea9c.png

1654287805_Screenshot2020-12-18at23_59_39.thumb.png.63a7136404329d08757ee8cbb326005e.png

However...... Edwards now wants out and Smith-Rowe is returning to Arsenal.

The reward for Champions League qualification?........ a measly £1.5 million (like seriously???)

So theres a decision to make. Rebuild for season 2, or perhaps look for a new challenge.

Been fun though!!

I personally would give them another season and see how far you can take them in Europe.

2 seasons then move on.

i had a save on FM19 with Guimares and tapped into Porto, Benficas and Sportings youngsters. You can usually pick up some really cheap players with good ability/potential from their B squads or fringe players from their main squads. Look for players between 21-24.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2020 at 17:50, Jimbo_the_red said:

I personally would give them another season and see how far you can take them in Europe.

2 seasons then move on.

i had a save on FM19 with Guimares and tapped into Porto, Benficas and Sportings youngsters. You can usually pick up some really cheap players with good ability/potential from their B squads or fringe players from their main squads. Look for players between 21-24.

Hi dude! I'm from Guimarães and i can tell you its a special club. Its has the best starting base outside of the obvious moneys clubs (Benfica, Porto, Sporting and Braga). It has a B club in the 3rd division that can easily get promoted to 2nd Div. and has the best and biggest/most faithful fan base, by far, outside the Big Three both in the game and in real life. 

You also wont regret checking the city (and the club) on Wiki for a bit of info as it is the birth city of Portugal and has a really cool story forged from war between a young Portugal and Spain, son against mother and some epic battles. Plus the fans are rabid, rivalled only by the 3 biggest clubs and have even broken attendance all time numbers when Vitoria SC got relegated to 2nd Div. (it got promoted immediately).

cheers

Edited by X0X0

On 01/01/2021 at 20:06, X0X0 said:

Hi dude! I'm from Guimarães and i can tell you its a special club. Its has the best starting base outside of the obvious moneys clubs (Benfica, Porto, Sporting and Braga). It has a B club in the 3rd division that can easily get promoted to 2nd Div. and has the best and biggest/most faithful fan base, by far, outside the Big Three both in the game and in real life. 

You also wont regret checking the city (and the club) on Wiki for a bit of info as it is the birth city of Portugal and has a really cool story forged from war between a young Portugal and Spain, son against mother and some epic battles. Plus the fans are rabid, rivalled only by the 3 biggest clubs and have even broken attendance all time numbers when Vitoria SC got relegated to 2nd Div. (it got promoted immediately).

cheers

Hey pal, I’ve actually been to the Town and ground when England played Holland in the Nations League in June 2019. It has a very nice castle and the people were really friendly. That was my reason for doing a save on FM19 👍🙂

Edited by Jimbo_the_red