Poor Performances From Lewandowski

Hi Everyone

Ive done about 3/4 of a season with Bayern Munich over the last 2 days.

Whilst im happy with the way we are playing in terms of the style, results generally pretty good (winning trophies and leading Bundesliga, but not as dominant as real life Bayern - I think this is because the researchers have underrated many of their players attributes), the notable thing is Lewandowski is often very quiet.

I cant get onto the game at the moment for a screen shot but the tactic i mostly use looks like this:

1109649994_Screenshot2020-11-17at01_54_16.thumb.png.3470bdfeeee05eb6342feea2fd06e3d7.png

Mentality: Positive

In Possession: Play out of defence, low crosses, run at defence, be more expressive

In Transition: Distribute to centre backs, distribute to full backs, counter press, counter

Out of possession: Much higher defensive line, Much higher line of engagement, Extremely urgent pressing, prevent short GK distribution, use offside trap.

In addition, some players have their own PI's

Pavard: Sit narrower

Goretzka: Close Down More

Muller: Get Further Forward, Close Down More, Mark The DM Position

Gnabry: Close Down More, Take More Risks, Get Further Forward

Sane: Close Down More, Get Further Forward

Any obvious reasons why this set up is limiting Lewandowski's effectiveness?

Thanks

A few things stick out to me:

You're using counter in transition whilst also being very aggressive in your out of possession instructions. Makes me wonder if Lewandowski is frequently not in a good position when this happens as a result.

Any particular reason for the low crosses? Lewandowski is pretty good aerially and so low crosses probably aren't allowing you to take advantage of that.

3 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

A few things stick out to me:

You're using counter in transition whilst also being very aggressive in your out of possession instructions. Makes me wonder if Lewandowski is frequently not in a good position when this happens as a result.

Any particular reason for the low crosses? Lewandowski is pretty good aerially and so low crosses probably aren't allowing you to take advantage of that.

Couple of things really:

the counters in transition instruction ive found is particularly good for getting the wide forwards to score. On the break, they will quite often dribble past their man and use their pace to run in on goal. its not true to real life Bayern perhaps, but it does lead to goals.

Low crosses.....i could change this. the idea is to encourage more cut backs from the byline, but you may well be right that perhaps going for whipped crosses may be better?

Not sure the researchers are to blame for his performances? Bayern's forwards all have incredibly strong attributes in the game. 

If Lewa's not performing as well as you'd like, what's he not doing? If he's not your main goal scorer in this system, who is? 

One thing I would say just from looking at the tactic is that it looks very congested centrally in the final third - Muller driving forwards, Goretzka too (he has PPM get further forwards doesn't he?), and you have Sane and Gnabry both cutting inside as well. I'd probably switch Gnabry and Sane around, so Sane stays wider on the left. Should help create more space for Lewandowski centrally. 

Edited by OleGunnarSolscharl

40 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

Couple of things really:

the counters in transition instruction ive found is particularly good for getting the wide forwards to score. On the break, they will quite often dribble past their man and use their pace to run in on goal. its not true to real life Bayern perhaps, but it does lead to goals.

Low crosses.....i could change this. the idea is to encourage more cut backs from the byline, but you may well be right that perhaps going for whipped crosses may be better?

If it's working, by all means, continue to use it (counter). Just be mindful of Lewandoski's positioning when these sorts of attacks start. 

In terms of crosses, Mixed might be a better compromise I wonder? You have quality players on the wings, so it's not a bad idea to just give them to freedom to decide how to cross. You may still get cutbacks that way and get better suited crosses for Lewandowski as well. 

13 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

If it's working, by all means, continue to use it (counter). Just be mindful of Lewandoski's positioning when these sorts of attacks start. 

In terms of crosses, Mixed might be a better compromise I wonder? You have quality players on the wings, so it's not a bad idea to just give them to freedom to decide how to cross. You may still get cutbacks that way and get better suited crosses for Lewandowski as well. 

Im in the middle of a huge run of wins now towards the end of season 1.

Mixed crosses has been the right decision for sure. we look more unpredictable and creative with different crossing options.

Lewandowski is in great form now scoring at least a goal a game every game.

I think ive learned to man manage him.

Before the games, i fire him up. he loves to be told "i expect a performance" from him. and then during the matches, i "demand more" from him throughout the game. It inspires him.

I think the game changer on this version of football manager is using players to mark areas of the pitch. For example, telling Javi Martinez at DM position to mark the AM area and tackle harder has turned him into an unbreakable wall.

Edited by FMunderachiever

Good that you got him working!

Also one thing to note: PF(a) looks to make runs behind the defence, even more so with the counter TI but you have Much higher DL and LOE and you press very aggressively.

So when you win the ball back you look to dribble it forward with Run at defence and dribbling player roles (flanks and Muller) or make the quick counter attacking pass. But where is the space for Lewa to run into? You are already very close to the opposition goal so there's no room behind the defence. You are also quite narrow so there's no room in the half spaces, and you push the opposition midfield line closer to their defensive line, so no room between the lines either. 

You could try dropping the DL and LOE one notch to see if there is more room for him to run and/or find some room in the channels between the CB and FB by instructing wide players to keep some width. 

Edited by rtnn