Gegenpress and Defensive Line

Currently playing as Spurs using a 4-1-2-3 gegenpress tactic. I'm finding that I'm scoring a lot of goals but am incredibly leaky at the back and concede most of my goals as a result of balls over the top. I suspect this is due to Spurs's somewhat slow defence.

Of course buying faster defenders would help alleviate this, but I was also wondering if there's any way to play a gegenpress tactic with a standard or even lower defensive line? Could a low defensive line work with a higher LOE or would this create too much of a gap between defence and attack?

Also, I currently have my defence trying to play the offside trap - would taking this off help alleviate this problem at all?

Any advice much appreciated.

Edit: Playing a network game so don't have the exact tactic to hand but it's something akin to the attached

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 00.27.11.png

Edited by danhenthorn

Even with much faster defenders, balls over the top will (probably) still be an issue when you play gegengpress, simply due to its extremely aggressive manner of defending. Because in gegenpress, you don't just play with a high D-line but also maximum pressing intensity + counter-press, which combined leads to an unstable defensive shape. On top of that, gegenpress-related gung-ho in-possession TIs mean that you can often lose possession when your defense is unprepared to react to a quick counter by opposition. Basically, it's all about risk versus reward. 

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Even with much faster defenders, balls over the top will (probably) still be an issue when you play gegengpress, simply due to its extremely aggressive manner of defending. Because in gegenpress, you don't just play with a high D-line but also maximum pressing intensity + counter-press, which combined leads to an unstable defensive shape. On top of that, gegenpress-related gung-ho in-possession TIs mean that you can often lose possession when your defense is unprepared to react to a quick counter by opposition. Basically, it's all about risk versus reward. 

Thanks for the response. So only way to alleviate the issue really is to get quicker defenders?

I play a hybrid pressing system, with a high line of engagement and a middle or low defensive line. Not sure if it's gegenpressing or not, but it does apply pressure with a low defensive line. I use team and player instructions to set the pressure to be higher with the midfield players in the formation and lower on the backside.

Typically on team and instructions I will have "Mark tighter" and pressing ticked up 1 over middle. (Urgent?) I pair that with a higher line of engagement to get my advanced players involved early and a normal or even 1 tick lower than normal defensive line. TI for counter press is optional based on whether or not you feel the pressure is getting there quick enough.

For PI, all my midfielders get pressing ticked up 1 and mark tighter, and tackle harder. Wide defenders too. CBs get pressing intensity ticked down one (to offset the TI). CBs may or may not get "mark tighter" based on how well the cover as overdoing it can have them beat by players with more athleticism.

The end result is a defensive team that is aggressively pressing when the opposing team gets into the middle third, but still applies some pressure in opposing half. All without commiting the CBs to the pressing game, leaving them to hold their shape. The players who aren't applying pressure in the midfield find opposing midfielders to cover in their area. This forces opposing teams to hoof the ball to your waiting CBs, who are good in the air and can head it away. 

If it's something you want to check out, you can see the full instructions and a better explanation in the "American Football" threads.