MacBook giving ""fm" will damage your computer" error

I bought the game yesterday on my 2 week old MacBook Air 2020 and installed the beta but when I open the game I am greeted with a message that says "“fm” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin." I only have the option to delete the football manager application or cancel. I have heard of a few people having this issue on MacBooks, is there a fix yet?

1 minute ago, XaW said:

It's a known error.

Se here for ways around it:

Apologies, I meant to mention that I had tried these instructions to no avail. 

I have no "override malware protection" options anywhere, and still get the error message when opening through Finder.

4 minutes ago, MarleyWeir said:

Apologies, I meant to mention that I had tried these instructions to no avail. 

I have no "override malware protection" options anywhere, and still get the error message when opening through Finder.

There are a couple of other suggestions in here:

And if that doesn't work, then you need to open a new thread in there providing all the information you can. SI will try to find other ways of fixing it.

24 minutes ago, XaW said:

There are a couple of other suggestions in here:

And if that doesn't work, then you need to open a new thread in there providing all the information you can. SI will try to find other ways of fixing it.

That's me sorted. Thank you very much.

• 2 years later...

Looking for an answer to the problem  “fm” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin. it seems this thread has resolved it, however the answer is replaced with this message;

"Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it."

I'm logged in to Community, why is this information not available to everyone?

• 1 year later...
On 20/12/2022 at 23:04, timgallantree said:

Looking for an answer to the problem  “fm” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin. it seems this thread has resolved it, however the answer is replaced with this message;

"Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it."

I'm logged in to Community, why is this information not available to everyone?

same here

I think this will solve it. It's from FM23, but it's essentially the same.

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/10002708058385-What-should-I-do-if-I-receive-an-anti-virus-or-malware-warning-when-trying-to-run-Football-Manager

On rare occasions Football Manager can be incorrectly identified as a threat when being launched. This is what’s commonly known as a false positive.

You may get a message which states: “fm will damage your computer. You should move it to the bin.” To avoid this occurring, follow the instructions below:

- Right-click on the desktop shortcut to [Football Manager title]
- Select ‘Get Info’
- Tick ‘Override malware protection’
- You should now be able to launch the game without this message appearing

If you don’t have a desktop shortcut, instructions on how to create one can be found via our FAQ for Epic and Steam.

If you find you don't have this option available to you, do as follows:

- In the Finder on your Mac, locate [Football Manager title]. Most apps can be found in the Applications folder.
- Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open.

The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorised app.

Also, please do a scan for viruses or malware when you get this message in case something has overwritten the fm executable or something, I dunno what is possible there, but I would always advise to check when you get these messages.

On 19/03/2024 at 12:23, NineCloudNine said:

And me.

edit: Ah, this is a necro of a two year old thread, I assume that is why.

Thread might have been archived which causes the message.