Need some Tactics help...

Hi All,

I am struggling to create a tactic that works for my team, perhaps some good advice will get me back on track.

This is the tactic I am using at the moment:

image.thumb.png.4fd77a5e6cdf4a8b47ceb71d56a06121.png

My main problems with this tactic are:

- 3 playmakers is that a good idea? The problem is I have for 3 midfield postions 6 players and all of them are best suited for a playmaker role.

- Not happy with the amount of goals scored by the Striker and the AMC. Furthermore We generally have a lot of attempts but many are not on goal.

- Do I really need to be so focused on playing players in their most suitable role or does that not matter that much?

Thanks in Advance for the advice!

21 minutes ago, CrazyhorseNL said:

Hi All,

I am struggling to create a tactic that works for my team, perhaps some good advice will get me back on track.

This is the tactic I am using at the moment:

image.thumb.png.4fd77a5e6cdf4a8b47ceb71d56a06121.png

My main problems with this tactic are:

- 3 playmakers is that a good idea? The problem is I have for 3 midfield postions 6 players and all of them are best suited for a playmaker role.

- Not happy with the amount of goals scored by the Striker and the AMC. Furthermore We generally have a lot of attempts but many are not on goal.

- Do I really need to be so focused on playing players in their most suitable role or does that not matter that much?

Thanks in Advance for the advice!

Do not pay too much attention to green dots. Look at their stats instead. What useful stats do they actually have.

I would say, that three playmakers are too much. One or maybe two should do it.

Putting all of your forwards on attack duty won't automatically create more chances. You need to pull the defense apart.

You look like you want to play a possession game, but two wingers do not really emulate that.

You also have a lot of TI's and some of them are contradicting each other. You want to pass short, but also into space - in my mind, they do not work together. You also want to play faster, but you play for set pieces and play out of defense - so you are telling your players to play very fast and urgent in the slowest way possible.

First, you need to define the style of play you want. Do you want possession? Counter?....

19 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

Do not pay too much attention to green dots. Look at their stats instead. What useful stats do they actually have.

Ok Clear, I do pay to much attention to the bright green dots.

21 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

I would say, that three playmakers are too much. One or maybe two should do it.

Ok, I wil l reduce it with at least one and look for another role for the other player.

22 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

Putting all of your forwards on attack duty won't automatically create more chances. You need to pull the defense apart.

Chances are not really the problem, the finishing of them is more the problem. 20 to 30 shots is normal for me.

23 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

You look like you want to play a possession game, but two wingers do not really emulate that.

I try to play like Ajax, with wingers and to keep a high percentage of possesion during the game.

24 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

You also have a lot of TI's and some of them are contradicting each other. You want to pass short, but also into space - in my mind, they do not work together. You also want to play faster, but you play for set pieces and play out of defense - so you are telling your players to play very fast and urgent in the slowest way possible.

First, you need to define the style of play you want. Do you want possession? Counter?....

Maybe that's the issue... I want Possesion, gegenpress, fast ball circulation but also a counterattack with deep balls to my Forward and wingers. But possesion should be the main thing I want, If they don't have the ball they can't score. :-) 

8 minutes ago, CrazyhorseNL said:

Chances are not really the problem, the finishing of them is more the problem. 20 to 30 shots is normal for me.

Then the issue probably is the quality of the chances you're creating. Can you post a screenshot of the shots fired in a game with 20-30 chances? Are they actually close to goal or more from the edge of the box? 

9 minutes ago, CrazyhorseNL said:

I try to play like Ajax, with wingers and to keep a high percentage of possesion during the game.

Does Ajax really use wingers as the game describes them, or do Ajax' wide players have a different role? Read the role descriptions carefully. 

1 hour ago, GianniM said:

Then the issue probably is the quality of the chances you're creating. Can you post a screenshot of the shots fired in a game with 20-30 chances? Are they actually close to goal or more from the edge of the box? 

Does Ajax really use wingers as the game describes them, or do Ajax' wide players have a different role? Read the role descriptions carefully. 

Here is the screenshot:

image.thumb.png.84f88cde1e8f95b7dd39990feab1dd67.png

Well it depends on what player plays for Ajax. Sometimes it is a real winger looking to give a cross and sometimes it is more a Inside Forward or inverted winger. I do have all these options also available in my team a.t.m.

Well that's not too bad. Quite a few shots from close by and a 2-0 win. 

Although there are many long distance shots from outside the box as well. Usually this happens when a player doesn't see any other passing option and then decides to just take his chances. To prevent this you need to create different types of movement up front, so that means for example your striker dropping deep (a DLF, F9 or CS will do this, especially on support duty) while your AMC moving forward. Or a winger in AML position staying wide to stretch play, and the AMR cutting inside with the RB in an attacking role running over him on the flank to provide width there. 

Play around with roles and duties to create a dynamic play, especially when you want a high press possession game. 

Also you don't need to tick every team instruction. You can leave some blank, then the intensity is based on your team mentality. For example with a positive mentality your attack will automatically be wider and passes more risky then on a balanced mentality. 
Or you can tell specific players to press instead of your whole team altogether. 

Edited by GianniM

13 hours ago, CrazyhorseNL said:

- 3 playmakers is that a good idea?

No, no and no! - if you ask me (although some people claim they do have tactics with 3 PMs that work nicely for them). 

The problem is I have for 3 midfield postions 6 players and all of them are best suited for a playmaker role

Do not get obsessed with the green circle of role suitability. Look at a player's attributes (and to some degree traits as well) instead. Every player can successfully play more than just one role. 

Do I really need to be so focused on playing players in their most suitable role or does that not matter that much?

No, you don't. See my previous remark.