Big match struggles

image.thumb.png.1f1fb68cb061956d6515b34fa38e2e7c.pngI'm doing a save with Brighton and it's been going well the past few seasons generally overachieving and playing good football. The problem here is (I know its ticked off in the picture) I don't know whether prevent short gk has been handicapping me this whole time or if I just haven't pressed with enough people. as you can see there I believe these are solid roles and duties and I have close down more pi on the front 4 people, also the AM has roam from position and take more risk. in the bigger games how would you guys maybe tweak this tactic and would you even bother with prevent short gk, usually what happens is either Fabio silva and one of my other two wingers will press there cb who either passes it to the other cb or switch ball or the gk who just lofts it over to the LB RB and they have acres of space. also individual mentality's I don't use IF(A) because even on S on the balanced mentality they have a attacking mentality so they should generally still be goal threats or am I thinking about this in the wrong way? 

In big games I'd just not play with such an attacking formation, but build in more security by removing the AMC and introducing a DM. Then a standard LOE and no prevent short GK dist. 

Perhaps play a bit more direct as well if you do that. 

1 minute ago, GianniM said:

In big games I'd just not play with such an attacking formation, but build in more security by removing the AMC and introducing a DM. Then a standard LOE and no prevent short GK dist. 

Perhaps play a bit more direct as well if you do that. 

Will have to give that a try, is there no way to make a 4-2-3-1 more solid? Open to changing formation for big games but is there no way? 

1 minute ago, Breezybaby1 said:

Will have to give that a try, is there no way to make a 4-2-3-1 more solid? Open to changing formation for big games but is there no way? 

You could try moving the two MC's to the DMC position.

Not really, if you have a player who you think would be able to play in that position that's fine. For example for a DM role look for someone with good defensive skills (positioning, anticipation, bravery), work rate and decent on-the-ball skills. He may not be familiar with the position but he can perform the desired tasks for it, and become familiar after a few matches in that position. 

1 hour ago, Breezybaby1 said:

Possibly however I only have one player capable of playing dmc properly the rest are unfamiliar with the position or does that not matter? 

Stats are the most important. If he fits with the stats that you want for a DMC player, then disregard if he is natural at the position.

On 29/07/2020 at 21:54, Enzo_Francescoli said:

Totally off-topic, but what's the thinking behind using an AF in a patient, possession-oriented tactic, and as the lone striker, no less?. I have never, ever, for one minute, understood that.

Honestly no reason but it works, I just wanted a runner and that was the one that gave me that turned my st to a 35+ goal striker

As for the dmc situation I’ve trialed and tested it’s kinda a catch 22 if I use that formation I’ll struggle for goals and just end up dealing with endless wave of attacks. The other problem that is I only have one cm that has positioning over 15 (james garner) the rest I have 11 at best. It’s quite frustrating as at home this works perfectly even against the big teams which can be 50/50 depending on which of the top 6 it is but away from home is just dreadful. It’s not as if I’m overly aggressive with my roles or overly aggressive with my pressing (4 players close down more in pi the front 4) is it just that I need to strengthen. Also concede the typical set piece goals, occasional long shots and of course crosses