Arsenal 4-2-3-1

Hi all

I have bene playing FM for a long time but FM19 and FM20 has got me stumped.  For a long time, I have struggled to get any tactic going and this in turn, has led to me not getting past pre season before getting frustrated with the game and going back to a FM18 save.  The main frustration I have is attacking play - getting the front 4 firing, scoring and getting decent match ratings.  The tactic is....276530705_4-2-3-1Arsenal.thumb.png.6b0c97b44f60b1da0a6d70986b87eb9f.png

As you can see, I have started with very little tactical instructions.  The thinking is, less is more.  I want to play entertaining football with good passing and movement - however, in the past, using possession instructions like shorter passing, play of out defence or work ball into box just creates beautiful passing in front of the opps defence but little or no penetration.  I am hoping that with the right roles, duties and intelligent players I can create space for good shorter passing naturally, without diluting the attacking speed and play.

I have tried an AMC on support and attack but this had little impact, often being marked out of the game or being bypassed to the wings, especially against 1 man or 2 man DM systems.  Likewise, the Lone striker has been tried on AF, CF(S) and (a), DLF (both duties) with little consistent impact.  I am trying a combination of TQ and F9 with the hope this will generate some movement of packed defences.  The F9 role is not something I have tried before and hope he will come deep to interact with the team but also provide some attacking penetration at the same time.

I have tried to create a bit of space for the AMC.  The inside forward to offer some attacking penetration but a winger to allow some width on the right hand side.  Pepe in this role will cut inside at times given his PPM.  I have a B2B midfielder alongside a DFPd.  I have chosen an IWBs on the right side to help fill in for when the B2B makes those runs forwards, whilst allowing width on the left with a WBs.

I would be grateful to anyone to confirm whether my thinking is on the right track given my past issues with the game - please don't take much notice in who is fulfilling the roles - I plan to make some changes to players over the season but want to know from a tactic perspective whether I am getting it right - or any suggestions, success that people may have.

4-2-3-1 Arsenal.png

1 hour ago, Fieldsy said:

4-2-3-1 Arsenal.png

The setup of roles and duties looks pretty decent IMHO, even with 2 PMs one behind the other (because DLP on defend and TQ can combine well, unlike some other PM combos). 

However, for a top team like Arsenal, you'll probably need to add a couple more instructions in order to more closely define your style of play. I would start with PoD and then gradually tweak while testing the tactic as I see fit. Other possible TIs may include shorter passing, WBiB, overlap left...

In terms of roles, you can experiment with the following:

- carrilero instead of BBM

- CM on defend instead of BBM and WB on support instead of IWB (with the DLP's duty switched to support)

In terms of the split block - I have the f9 and wide players on close down more but it wont let me increase the TQ?

Have never tried the callirero role in any of the saves - might test it out.

I have tried shorter passing on its own and it seemed to again slow the play down so much (I know it effects tempo) that teams were regrouping quickly and shutting off attack lanes.

22 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Is this working out well for you ? 

Generally going well.  Still trying to figure out the B2B role and whether a Callirero or CMs would be better suited.  Also I change between the IWB and FB roles on the right side, depending on each game.

Still can get frustrated by the striker role - have kept with the f9 position with TQ behind but open to suggestions as to whether other combinations would be better - I want the Lone striker to be a goal threat but also not be isolated and be able to link play.  The AMC role is better than I have seen - the TQ role seems to have a good balance between attack and link play.  Overall, I would have preferred a 4-1-2-1-1 formation but Ozil just cant fit into that system - at the end opf the season, I plan on offloading him and get players in better suited to the overall system I have in mind.

Just a quick question - when we talk about a split block - do we only add close down more to the front 3?  Or also tight marking?

2 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

Just a quick question - when we talk about a split block - do we only add close down more to the front 3?  Or also tight marking?

There are different kinds of split block. Close down more PI is always part of it, whereas tight marking or/and hard tackling can be used as an additional option, but are not necessary (it's basically up to you). And btw, a split block can include between 3 and 5 players, so it's not necessarily 3. A softer version of split block usually consists of 2 players only (usually one striker and the more attacking CM). 

Having both central midfielders in holding roles in a 4231 will allow both full backs to get forward. It also allows the front 4 to be generally free to be aggressive.

With the exact personnel you have, I suggest Torreira plays CM(D) and Guendouzi or Xhaka plays DLP(S). I know it says BBM as recommended role for Guendouzi but he is not a good finisher or good at long shots. He also has the Dictates Tempo PPM which is good for a playmaker.

Edited by permanentquandary

One of the big things I have learnt is the importance of team mentality - more so than ever before (in terms of other versions).  Playing attacking against lower ranked teams has had a real effect on results and the forward play - adding shorter passing and PoD has seen some really good football, inc a 3-0 win against Man City.  If Im closing a game out - drop it to balanced or positive.  Im now seeing mentality as shifting gears as opposed to using a mentality to define a style - that's the team instructions and roles.