Does context have an impact?

Took over Lincoln Utd mid-way through the season in the Championship. I’ve got the final day still to play and I’m 3 points above the relegation zone. 

My opponents are Sheffield Utd. They mathematically secured promotion in their previous match and also can’t catch up with the team in first. Is it possible for this to have any bearing on my match? In real life, the Sheff Utd players would obviously want to win but it’s unlikely that they’d put their usual effort levels into the match. Does Football Manager reflect this? My guess would be probably not but I’m curious to know.  

I think this is a bit of a misconception - while it would make sense, it doesn't seem to really happen in real life or on the game. Perhaps factors balance out - while effort is a little lower (they do still want to impress the boss and anyone watching in the transfer market!), there's also a total absence of pressure.

2 hours ago, Bocadillo said:

Took over Lincoln Utd mid-way through the season in the Championship. I’ve got the final day still to play and I’m 3 points above the relegation zone. 

My opponents are Sheffield Utd. They mathematically secured promotion in their previous match and also can’t catch up with the team in first. Is it possible for this to have any bearing on my match? In real life, the Sheff Utd players would obviously want to win but it’s unlikely that they’d put their usual effort levels into the match. Does Football Manager reflect this? My guess would be probably not but I’m curious to know.  

Not that I am aware of, as these are issues that are not taken into account when the ME is working.