Style of Play

Do you tend to stick with a style of play throughout the save, or do you change to adapt to the situation?

Obviously now you can choose your Preferred style and formation when you create your manager, I have have always tried to stick to that style, but I think it might be making my teams easy to play against. I know there is a debate whether the game "figures you out" or not, but when you're on a 15 game win streak and then you lose the next 8, it does feel like something switches.

Also, some of the manager traits that I have picked up don't match my style of play e.g. I have a "prefers to play defensive football" trait when I have always played High Tempo Control Possession on Positive/Attack.

Is having a preferred style/formation a positive or a negative?

Neither positive nor negative to be honest. The AI doesn't 'figure you out', what happens is that your reputation changes. As it improves, your team is seen as being stronger so opponents will likely set up more defensive when facing you. rather than figuring out how you play it is far more 'general' reaction to your progress in the game.

As for sticking with a particular style, I tend to change over time depending on the save. I play Careers, so if I am in lower leagues and going for promotion then yeah, I will be a strong team in one division trying to break down parked buses, but, after promotion , will be a weaker team and have to find a double-decker for me to use. If at the 'top' end of the game, pushing for Euro qualification or in the Euro comps regularly, then less chop and change - more a few tweaks here and there.

Generally, I ignore what the game perceives as my 'style'.

I play the style which provides success with the team I manage.

Personally, I like teams attacking via the flanks, play quick and direct football. But most of my teams were not able for that and I oimetimes play the opposite, slow steady build up, passing, until there is a hole in the defence.