Promotion/relegation from inactive division

The lowest active competition in a file I am currently making is made up of 4 regionalised groups, each with three relegation spots. I want to relegate them to the level below, which is currently inactive. It is absolutely vital for this file that the relegated teams are replaced by teams from the respective local region (or the regionalization slowly breaks down over time).

The inactive division is composed of four leagues (one for each region), held in a parent competition. This I have added as a parent competition to the game, listed the corresponding child competitions, and set no stages (I do not know if you even need this, I just copied what is in the rules if you look at England without changes).

For the lowest active division, I use individual group rules to relegate teams to the corresponding regional league in the level below. This works, as far as I can tell. Teams are relegated anyway, so there are no issues there.

The problem comes with the selection of the teams that are then promoted. I figured that if I relegate to a specific league, the game will ask that league for replacements. However all the replacements are coming from a single division, which are then going into the wrong regions (naturally, because there are 9 too many teams from one region now).

Does anyone know:

1. Why one particular league is being favoured here? I cannot work it out. It is not the lowest ID number, not the first alphabetically, all comps have the same rep, does not have the highest rep team in it.

2. How I can force this type of promotion/relegation without activating the league below? 

Advice, as always, is warmly received. 

Not really, the number of relegated teams is always fixed here. 

The problem is one of promoted teams all coming from one region. I'll make an example. LEts say I have regional leagues called 3A, 3B, 3C and 3D which are the lowest active leagues on my pyramid. Below I have 4 leagues 4A, 4B, 4C and 4D. I want 3 teams relegated/promoted from each level 3 league to each level 4 league, like this.

3A (3 teams) <---> 4A (3 teams)

3B (3 teams) <---> 4B (3 teams)

3C (3 teams) <---> 4C (3 teams)

3D (3 teams) <---> 4D (3 teams)

So each league relegates 3 sides, and they are replaced by 3 sides from the corresponding lower league. I have set relegation to be to the specific division. Level 4 is inactive so there are no rules.

What I actually see is this.

3A (3 teams) <---> 4A (12 teams)

3B (3 teams) <---> 4B (0 teams)

3C (3 teams) <---> 4C (0 teams)

3D (3 teams) <---> 4D (0 teams)

All teams come from one subdivision. So the total number works, but my regional pyramid will eventually fill with teams from region A. 

3 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Not really, the number of relegated teams is always fixed here. 

The problem is one of promoted teams all coming from one region. I'll make an example. LEts say I have regional leagues called 3A, 3B, 3C and 3D which are the lowest active leagues on my pyramid. Below I have 4 leagues 4A, 4B, 4C and 4D. I want 3 teams relegated/promoted from each level 3 league to each level 4 league, like this.

3A (3 teams) <---> 4A (3 teams)

3B (3 teams) <---> 4B (3 teams)

3C (3 teams) <---> 4C (3 teams)

3D (3 teams) <---> 4D (3 teams)

So each league relegates 3 sides, and they are replaced by 3 sides from the corresponding lower league. I have set relegation to be to the specific division. Level 4 is inactive so there are no rules.

What I actually see is this.

3A (3 teams) <---> 4A (12 teams)

3B (3 teams) <---> 4B (0 teams)

3C (3 teams) <---> 4C (0 teams)

3D (3 teams) <---> 4D (0 teams)

All teams come from one subdivision. So the total number works, but my regional pyramid will eventually fill with teams from region A. 

Have you set the N S E W boundaries

2 hours ago, prot651 said:

Have you set the N S E W boundaries

Yeah, if I do not have relegation/promotion to the inactive level everything works perfectly. Teams stay where they should up and down the rest of the pyramid. I have a strictly regionalised system all the way to the top division, and teams always stay in their divisions.

The problem is that the teams being selected from the inactive divisions are all coming from one division, not being spread across all 4 inactive divisions. So promoted teams are all from region A, and I cannot figure out why that is the case. There is nothing particularly special about region A, except I guess that it is the first league encountered by the relegation rules. 

On 02/03/2020 at 21:11, sporadicsmiles said:

The lowest active competition in a file I am currently making is made up of 4 regionalised groups, each with three relegation spots. I want to relegate them to the level below, which is currently inactive. It is absolutely vital for this file that the relegated teams are replaced by teams from the respective local region (or the regionalization slowly breaks down over time).

The inactive division is composed of four leagues (one for each region), held in a parent competition. This I have added as a parent competition to the game, listed the corresponding child competitions, and set no stages (I do not know if you even need this, I just copied what is in the rules if you look at England without changes).

For the lowest active division, I use individual group rules to relegate teams to the corresponding regional league in the level below. This works, as far as I can tell. Teams are relegated anyway, so there are no issues there.

The problem comes with the selection of the teams that are then promoted. I figured that if I relegate to a specific league, the game will ask that league for replacements. However all the replacements are coming from a single division, which are then going into the wrong regions (naturally, because there are 9 too many teams from one region now).

Does anyone know:

1. Why one particular league is being favoured here? I cannot work it out. It is not the lowest ID number, not the first alphabetically, all comps have the same rep, does not have the highest rep team in it.

2. How I can force this type of promotion/relegation without activating the league below? 

Advice, as always, is warmly received. 

It's absolutely vital to set to EACH team preferred regional division, especially when there's regional split and you need teams from correct regions. 

image.thumb.png.11f0718ba58a03e9bab8d4bbe18ecd6e.png

This can be painful, but it limits the movement to certain extent. I've seen some regionalization options in advanced rules but I'm yet to try these.

13 hours ago, Bigpole said:

It's absolutely vital to set to EACH team preferred regional division, especially when there's regional split and you need teams from correct regions. 

I did this (which is something I wanted to do anyway because it is the cleanest way to keep teams regionalised).

However it does not solve the problem I have (I checked).

The issue is that all the teams being promoted from my inactive level are from one region (which is actually just the region assigned to group 0 in the rules). Otherwise regionalisation works like a charm. 

I have four regions. Each region should relegate 3 sides, and take 3 more sides from the regional division that it is assigned to relegate to. So the number of sides from each region is fixed.

However what happens is that each region relegates its 3 sides, but the 12 promoted sides are being picked from one regional division. So there is an unequal number of teams from each region, and no degree of regionalisation rules can fix this. 

In polish default database it's working - we have four groups in 3rd level (each group contains 4 voivodeships) and you have one fourth division (inactive) with 100-something teams from all voivodeships. And each team in this fourth div has regional division set. And even because if this is basically a dynamic relegation - it's working rather ok.

But it's only example of my file so it can be different to yours.

I mean it is almost working now. I have changed a little bit how I set up the inactive division, but still the odd team is promoted badly. The regionalization is okay, but my leagues cannot handle, say, 4 teams up and 3 teams down in one league. Or rather I know they could be, but I do not want them to be. If you see what I mean. 

I am going to make the inactive division an exact mirror of the leagues I already have, which I know work, and try that. I will figure it out in the end, I am sure. I wish we had a "promotion pool" which your division could pick from to replace relegated teams.