Defensive tactic

1 hour ago, sifinnigan1 said:

I can't seem to figure out a defensively robust tactic. I'm tired of possession and high pressing. Something more in the Simeone mould. Does anybody have any ideas?

Which team are you managing / how good (or bad) your players are? Which formation do you intend to use?

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Which team are you managing / how good (or bad) your players are? Which formation do you intend to use?

Leicester (2019-2020)

4-3-2-1 - 3 DMs

AF(a)

IW(s) W(s)

Vol(a) A(d) DLP(s)

WB(s) BPD(d) CD(d) WB(s)

SK(s)

Cautious / Shorter passing, Play Out of Defence, Be more Expressive, Lower Tempo / Distribute To Centre-Backs, Counter, Regroup / Lower Defensive Line, Lower Line of Engagement, Use Tighter Marking

The idea was to soak up pressure and for the players to be more creative when attacking, that's why I ask for more expression. Do you have any thoughts on where to go from here?

A defensive system isn't inherently supported by having more players in defensive positions. I think that type of system could see you really pinned in without as much of an outlet. 

So defensively you want to be more compact, which you achieve with many of those instructions you have for transition and defensively, it is your offensive plan that is a bit confused - how are you planning to attack? Is it direct balls over the top, is it quick passes and ball carrying? The instructions you have there for in possession look like what I would be doing for a Control Possession style, not for a counter style.

I'd probably set your team to a 4-1-4-1, it's still very compact, but you can control the space a bit further in front of your own area and can break out a touch easier. The Wingers being back in shape will be a much tougher block to break through.

I'm not a tactical genius but I reckon he can use 4312 with mid instead of dms I think two strikers is easy to setup and solid. 

But that can be me who is portuguese and I'm quite accostumed to two striker formations as it's very used here especially the team I support benfica who haven't played with 1 striker since I was born I've never saw them play a 1 striker formation consistently. 

But with Leicester I think this can work

Sk(s or d) 

Wbs on defend or support

A ball player and a normal cb

A centre mid on defend in the middle

Maybe a mezzala a carrilero or box to box flanking I think you need some playmaking and a engine and someone who can shuttle out wide

A trequartista ( I love that role but you can try others) and Madison will work like a treat. 

A dlf and a poacher(Jamie Vardy cough cough) 

Edited by Strikerir1

2 hours ago, sifinnigan1 said:

Leicester (2019-2020)

4-3-2-1 - 3 DMs

AF(a)

IW(s) W(s)

Vol(a) A(d) DLP(s)

WB(s) BPD(d) CD(d) WB(s)

SK(s)

Cautious / Shorter passing, Play Out of Defence, Be more Expressive, Lower Tempo / Distribute To Centre-Backs, Counter, Regroup / Lower Defensive Line, Lower Line of Engagement, Use Tighter Marking

The idea was to soak up pressure and for the players to be more creative when attacking, that's why I ask for more expression. Do you have any thoughts on where to go from here?

First off, it's not necessary to use a defensive (low) mentality in order to play defensive football and/or be defensively solid, especially when your formation is already that much defensive (i.e. bottom-heavy) with as many as 3 DMs. 

And if you do play on a low mentality, then having both DL and LOE set to lower can lead to inviting more pressure from the opposition than you can handle. For one, the mentality automatically affects all instructions, so your DL and LOE (among other things) are already proportionally lower due to the low (cautious) mentality you are using. 

So you basically need to strike a better balance between your formation, mentality and instructions. Of course, roles and duties always matter a lot as well.

Question: are your wingers played in wide midfield (MR/ML) or wide forward positions (AMR/AML)?