Regional Cup - best way to select teams.

sporadicsmiles

I am currently building the French leagues, and I want to rebuild the French cup so I can properly include the preliminary stages. For those who are not aware, the French cup is entirely regionalised until the seventh round. So each region has its own part of the draw until we reach the national stage (which is still regionalised initially, but I am less concerned by that for now).

I want to build this so each region has a separate qualifying competition, whose winners are fed into the Coupe de France. It feels like a more satisfying way to organise things, and should allow for an easier expansion later. 

So to do this I need to select the correct regional sides. Obviously this is easy for the fully regional divisions, I can just get all teams from division (ignoring B teams). I even think I know how to fill the remaining places with lower league sides (since the number of B sides is not fixed so we get a different number of teams from playable leagues every year in principle). My biggest problem is collection teams who are in leagues which are not fully regionalised (levels 3 and 4 in this case). I do not know how to sensible select the correct sides from these divisions. 

So this is my question. For regional cups, what is the best way to go about selecting sides? Is there a way to select teams regionally from a competition? Or is it simply better to build a team pool of eligible sides to draw from, and then select the ones in the relevant division from there? I'd rather avoid the latter, there are over 1000 teams in France and I do not want to sort them manually into team pools. 

Anyone with experience in regional cups can shed any light on the methods they used? I would be sincerely grateful. 

If you are not using that secondary division for something else, it is a good solution. Have used that in previous builds for my Czech cup and Slovak cup as part of Czechoslovakia.

SI have managed to find a good solution for this problem in Portugal Cup, haven't yet played this version but on editor everything looks fine.

The first round is regionalized in 8 zones, so they also add max distance betweew the teams.

Screenshot.png

Screenshot-2.png

On 07/02/2020 at 13:04, sporadicsmiles said:

Unfortunately I am using the secondary divisions for regionalisation. Although I guess that it should be possible since all teams share a regional division that is unique to the nation. I will try this!

I see your problem. I had hoped to use the secondary division for dynamic relegation, but have to use it for the cups in Czechoslovakia

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

I see your problem. I had hoped to use the secondary division for dynamic relegation, but have to use it for the cups in Czechoslovakia

I think I have managed it by creating a team pool containing all teams from top divisions who take part in the cup, and then selecting the teams from the region only. I have to see if this works after a few seasons when the number of teams in the top divisions may have changed. 

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I think I have managed it by creating a team pool containing all teams from top divisions who take part in the cup, and then selecting the teams from the region only. I have to see if this works after a few seasons when the number of teams in the top divisions may have changed. 

If that works, I am an interested customer.

On 07/02/2020 at 18:47, TH3 K1LL3R said:

SI have managed to find a good solution for this problem in Portugal Cup, haven't yet played this version but on editor everything looks fine.

The first round is regionalized in 8 zones, so they also add max distance betweew the teams.

Screenshot.png

Screenshot-2.png

Sorry I totally missed that. That is super useful information actually, because the later stages of the French cup are no longer regionalised but teams tend not to have to travel from Brittany to Corsica for a game. I will definitely try to play around with this, see if it works.

On 11/02/2020 at 09:40, Samuel77 said:

Hello sporadicsmiles,

Could you tell me how much level you have in your secondary division ? More than one ?

Right now I have filled every team in the database down to level 7 (as far as I have gotten so far), and from level 4 (where the French leagues become more or less regionalised).

If I understand you have four levels in your secondary division. Is it working ?

For me only the first level appear... Can you tell me how you did ?

Also I imagine you made a promotion from secondary division to ''regular'' division, do you creat a stage for that ?

Edited by Samuel77