Entering 5th season with Arsenal rate my tactic

Hi I have posted some screenshots asking for tactical advice for my Arsenal save. Entering my 4th season the results have been mixed, only 1 PL title and 1 FA Cup as Manchester United and City's finances are kind of over powered. Anyway here are my preferred tactics for the upcoming season let me know what you guys think and I'll try to explain my thought process. 

Tactic #1 Thoughts. First I want to control possession but I'm not sure how many passing options the CB's will have. Also I am thinking about ticking distribute to slow down or just take it off and trust the GK. With my backline I want the right sided CB to stay wide and cover the FB(A). I think FB(A) will be better defensively than a WB which is way too offensive in my opinion. I think the FB on the left side on support will help recyle possession and get up the pitch depending on my mentality. Honestly I try to trust my defenders more or less and not give them too many instructions, you can get away with that more at the higher levels. Moving on to my MF roles what do you guys think? CM(S) is good to protect the FB and retain possession but not sure if it's creative enough. DLP is on defend to protect the FB on attack but honestly I want to tick that to support instead. My thought is the CM's will shield the backline and feed the AP(A) which I will get into soon. I think the W(A) will stretch defenses and draw players out of position but I fear everyone in the final third is kind of attacking the same space. Now onto the AP(A) I am thinking he will make forwards runs and be creative enough to play in the Winger and IF, but if my AP and CF are both on attack I think I'm attacking the same space and I'd rather stretch defenses than force it through the middle. My out of possession instructions are too risky I think, especially since I'm already on positive, what do guys think about the rest of the instructions? 

Attached is the second tactics, what do you guys think? Still tinkering but I like formations with 3 midfielders but don't like isolating Simeone.

1286459162_Arsenal_Overview-7.thumb.png.a04f141baf674d332df78c2b0404186d.png554141059_Arsenal_Overview-10.thumb.png.c13c08351748279f8b193fb8e4cbf2be.png

18 hours ago, AHighLine2 said:

Tactic #1 Thoughts. First I want to control possession

If you want to control possession/play possession-oriented football, then you don't need as many as 3 attack duties among the front four. Plus, CF and AP aren't quite compatible roles when used as an AMC/ST combo, since both are creative types of roles. Also, a CF might struggle in a possession/control based 4231, because chances are that he won't have enough space to do what a CF as a role is supposed to. 

18 hours ago, AHighLine2 said:

Also I am thinking about ticking distribute to slow down or just take it off and trust the GK

If you ask me, then take it off. Let the keeper decide. Slow distribution would make your tactic needlessly sterile, whereas quick does not suit the possession football you want to play (unless you want to play a more progressive version of possession football). I would also recommend distributing to both CBs and FBs, because allowing the keeper to choose from more available options is always safer.

The distribution of roles and duties on both flanks and in the central midfield is good and well-balanced :thup:

More urgent pressing can be risky when you play on a high mentality and with higher (let alone much higher) D-line. Better use split press/block instead.

19 hours ago, AHighLine2 said:

Tactic #1 Thoughts. First I want to control possession but I'm not sure how many passing options the CB's will have. Also I am thinking about ticking distribute to slow down or just take it off and trust the GK.

Play Out of Defence is just one part of "controlling possession", I wouldn't be concerned about the number of options, there should be plenty.  The major factor of playing out of defence is the players being able to make themselves available, collect, see a pass and then complete it.

I wouldn't say your looking to control possession being on Positive with AP-A, W-A and CF-A even if using Shorter Passing, Work Ball Into Box and Play Out Of Defence.  Those are 3 very risk roles being told to be even more attacking than the starting Positive team mentality.  Not saying those roles+duties are bad, but I don't think it fits your intended style.

With my backline I want the right sided CB to stay wide and cover the FB(A). I think FB(A) will be better defensively than a WB which is way too offensive in my opinion.

A logical assumption, though I would say WB-Su or CWB-Su are good "possession" orientated roles+duties whom don't cross as often as a FB-At and whilst have attacking instructions don't take as many risks.

I think the FB on the left side on support will help recyle possession and get up the pitch depending on my mentality. Honestly I try to trust my defenders more or less and not give them too many instructions, you can get away with that more at the higher levels.

Just be aware of the players traits, F Mendy has Gets Forward Whenever Possible so will push up more than normal for a FB-Su.

Moving on to my MF roles what do you guys think? CM(S) is good to protect the FB and retain possession but not sure if it's creative enough. DLP is on defend to protect the FB on attack but honestly I want to tick that to support instead. My thought is the CM's will shield the backline and feed the AP(A) which I will get into soon.

I wouldn't say they shield the backline, thats what I would say DM's do when out of possession, i'd say the DLP-De covers whilst the CM-Su has more freedom to join attacks leaving the FB-Su and DLP-De to cover him.

I have no issue with that pairing tactically, but I would question it with regards to the players.  Not sure how your players have developed in the 5 years you've played but I would imagine Ndombele is a better creator than Guendouzi who is better defensively?  Hence I'd not really want to feed Guendouzi the ball more often as a playmaker.  These are both players who can get up and down the field so maybe a tactic without a AMC would fit them better.

I think the W(A) will stretch defenses and draw players out of position but I fear everyone in the final third is kind of attacking the same space. 

Maddison is Right footed so whilst a W-At should stay wide, he might come inside more often than a left footed winger.  But as you have an AP in the hole and only a CM-Su who might get forward from midfield, I don't think anyone is attacking the same space. 

Now onto the AP(A) I am thinking he will make forwards runs and be creative enough to play in the Winger and IF, but if my AP and CF are both on attack I think I'm attacking the same space and I'd rather stretch defenses than force it through the middle.

AP on attack duty is not like a non-playmaker on attack duty.  They aren't told to "Get Forward Often" in there PI's, so whilst taking risks (mentality + instructions to try risky passes often and dribble often) they will typically be deeper and will also have more creative freedom and will move to try to collect the ball to there feet rather than running into space.

Back to the earlier point, W-At, AP-At and CF-At, as soon as any one of those three get the ball, there's going to be very forward urgent play, they aren't really interested in lateral/backwards patient possession play, they want to create something now.  With the 5 midfielders and the amount of passing ability there, what does your forward need to do?  AP typically will stay in the hole, the IF-Su will cut inside so really I would expect the W-At and CF-At to be the main goal threats.  Does the ST need to roam around? Who will he create for?  I'd prefer a P-At, PF-At or maybe a DLF-At or AF-At  so they'll stay nearer the goal.

Who is your first choice AP?  Is he that much better a creator than Ndombele?

My out of possession instructions are too risky I think, especially since I'm already on positive, what do guys think about the rest of the instructions? 

If you want to reduce a bit of the risk, i'd remove More Urgent and use PIs on the front 4 instead and/or OI to target the opponents backline+gk.

Attached is the second tactics, what do you guys think? Still tinkering but I like formations with 3 midfielders but don't like isolating Simeone.

Firstly i'd center than DM, no need to offset him.

I think this can give your two energetic midfielders space to join attacks.  I would change the ST to a DLF-At, he will drop centrally to link but then attack the box more so shouldn't be isolated.  If he roams, I don't see whom will take advantage of him creating an overload elsewhere.

If wanting to "control possession" I would also think again about the roles+duties, if your controlling it through a more patient passing style, would a lone forward be isolated?  If it was a direct style then maybe so as he'd have to win the ball and hold it up for help to arrive or just go on a solo run and pot shot.

On 29/06/2019 at 22:48, AHighLine2 said:

Tactic #1 Thoughts. First I want to control possession but I'm not sure how many passing options the CB's will have. Also I am thinking about ticking distribute to slow down or just take it off and trust the GK.

I wouldn't bother getting your keeper to slow down. I use a 4-2-3-1, and have found some success getting the GK to distribute to the Centre-Backs. When the GK is in possession, your Centre-Backs will fan out wide, creating more passing options (full backs will push up, your two midfielders will drop in a bit deeper. 

With my backline I want the right sided CB to stay wide and cover the FB(A). I think FB(A) will be better defensively than a WB which is way too offensive in my opinion. I think the FB on the left side on support will help recyle possession and get up the pitch depending on my mentality. Honestly I try to trust my defenders more or less and not give them too many instructions, you can get away with that more at the higher levels.

No real issues with how you've set up your back-line. Maybe try changing the FB(A) to a WB(S)? FB(A) will start in a more conservative position than, say, a WB(S), but will probably make more risky/offensive passes than a WB(S), who will start higher and look to carry the ball/overlap more. In a 4-2-3-1, you essentially have two holding midfield players, I wouldn't worry about being two aggressive with your full-backs. 

No need to be fancy with instructions here, I think they over-complicate things for the most-part anyway.

Moving on to my MF roles what do you guys think? CM(S) is good to protect the FB and retain possession but not sure if it's creative enough. DLP is on defend to protect the FB on attack but honestly I want to tick that to support instead. My thought is the CM's will shield the backline and feed the AP(A) which I will get into soon.

CM(S) is a pretty good role. I agree that you'd get away with a DLP(S) here also. I'd maybe consider switching the sides they're on however, as your DLP will drop into the space your BPD is occupying. If you BPD is good enough on the ball, do you really want your playmaker coming to get the ball off him?

I think the W(A) will stretch defenses and draw players out of position but I fear everyone in the final third is kind of attacking the same space. 

Agree on your thoughts in regard to using a winger here, though I'd maybe drop him to support so he offers that wide outlet from a bit deeper. 

TBH, I think the logic behind your choice of roles is pretty solid, I don't think anyone will be attacking the same space.

Now onto the AP(A) I am thinking he will make forwards runs and be creative enough to play in the Winger and IF, but if my AP and CF are both on attack I think I'm attacking the same space and I'd rather stretch defenses than force it through the middle.

I'd drop the AP(A) to support (or even change to AM(S)), so he drops into the space your holding midfielders leave behind. No issue with the CF(A), though I'd have a look at the PF roles considering your pressing strategy?

My out of possession instructions are too risky I think, especially since I'm already on positive, what do guys think about the rest of the instructions? 

I'd maybe drop "Distribute Quickly", as it doesn't really have much use if you're distributing to your centre backs, but otherwise seems fine for an aggressive pressing system - are you conceding many from balls over the top?

I'd check out Ozil's recent posts in his Benfica thread as he's doing some great stuff with a possession-based 4-2-3-1 at the moment. 

Archived