Technical question about contracts

I have a question regarding end of contracts and how they work on a specific aspect of them.

In England, a young player, on his last year of contract, needs to get a new offer right after the season ends or he he'll be able to leave for free.  That is the rule.

But, I am wondering about older player.  Let's say I find someone who is 25.  I know I will never keep him once he hits 31.  So, I try to give him a 5 years deal.  That way, he would be a "one contract player" and that's it (i.e. that would be the plan).  Let's say I'm able to never sign another contract with him.  During the last year of his contract (specifically during the Winter window), will anybody be able to come pick-him-up for free during that winter window (of his last year of contract)?  I don't plan to give him a new contract (I said I don't want players over 30 and of course he will ask for a 5 years deal... of course...)  but I don't want to be screwed, one player short, mid-season...

So, in short:  player over 25, last year of contract, can anybody come and steal the player for free during the mid-season window?

As far as I understand a foreign club would be able to offer a contract to him when there is 6 months left, but he wouldn’t be able to leave until his contract ends.

An English club wouldn’t be able to offer a contract until he is set for release.

I could well be wrong though, but that’s my interpretation of it (in England)

Archived