Won the Euro under 21 but didnt get a place in the Olypimcs

I think that's probably a bug. The four British teams (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) don't compete in Olympic Football because they enter the Olympics as Great Britain instead, but the Republic of Ireland should be able to.

2 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

I think that's probably a bug. The four British teams (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) don't compete in Olympic Football because they enter the Olympics as Great Britain instead, but the Republic of Ireland should be able to.

Scotland literally played a play off with portugal to see who would qualify

1 hour ago, Paddy9596 said:

Do you ever get the option for Great Britain to be in the olympics? The only time I’ve seen it was on FM12 when the Olympic were in London, I know Britain don’t tend to be in the Olympics anyway

I believe it can happen if one of the Home Nations is selected to host the Olympics again in-game, but that's the only way.

It only happens if one of the home nations are hosting the Olympics. It's a quasi-political thing.

The Olympic football tournament is a FIFA competition, so FIFA nations are allowed to compete - however, the Olympics regulate that Great Britain is the team, not the individual nations.

For Great Britain to enter a football team, they would have to combine the four home nation FAs into one to become Great Britain. Which could be done HOWEVER:

The Laws of the Game are reviewed every year, around Feb/March by the IFAB (International Football Association Board) which consists of former players, a former referee and representatives from FIFA, England FA, Scotland FA, Wales FA and N.Ireland FA. Changes made at this meeting come into effect the following June 1st globally (with the exception of competitions that are already underway)

There are six votes to move a Law change I believe they are spread , FIFA x 2, Eng x1, Scotland x1 and N.Ireland x1 Wales x1.

SO, any changes in LAW for the global game have to be voted on and passed with a majority of 4 at the annual IFAB meeting, and as the votes are spread, FIFA does not have majority vote, any change has to be approved by at least two of the home nation FAs as well. OR all four home nations can agree a change and FIFA cannot veto it alone. (Ohhh the power! FIFA are to represent all the other nations that play the game)

If the home nations combine and become The FA of Great Britain, this spread of votes would be lost, so they have always declined to enter the Olympics preferring to keep the balance of power in the global game in their favour.

When London hosted the Olympics, special dispensation was given for Britain to enter a team for that competition only.

So in FM, unless the Olympics are hosted in a home nation, there shouldn't be a team from Britain entered. 

I'm out of touch with who the representatives are on the panel for IFAB at the moment, but I know Shaka Hislop was there for a few years as ex-player (Newcastle/West Ham/Pompey goalkeeper).

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2019 at 21:20, Snorks said:

It only happens if one of the home nations are hosting the Olympics. It's a quasi-political thing.

The Olympic football tournament is a FIFA competition, so FIFA nations are allowed to compete - however, the Olympics regulate that Great Britain is the team, not the individual nations.

For Great Britain to enter a football team, they would have to combine the four home nation FAs into one to become Great Britain. Which could be done HOWEVER:

The Laws of the Game are reviewed every year, around Feb/March by the IFAB (International Football Association Board) which consists of former players, a former referee and representatives from FIFA, England FA, Scotland FA, Wales FA and N.Ireland FA. Changes made at this meeting come into effect the following June 1st globally (with the exception of competitions that are already underway)

There are six votes to move a Law change I believe they are spread , FIFA x 2, Eng x1, Scotland x1 and N.Ireland x1 Wales x1.

SO, any changes in LAW for the global game have to be voted on and passed with a majority of 4 at the annual IFAB meeting, and as the votes are spread, FIFA does not have majority vote, any change has to be approved by at least two of the home nation FAs as well. OR all four home nations can agree a change and FIFA cannot veto it alone. (Ohhh the power! FIFA are to represent all the other nations that play the game)

If the home nations combine and become The FA of Great Britain, this spread of votes would be lost, so they have always declined to enter the Olympics preferring to keep the balance of power in the global game in their favour.

When London hosted the Olympics, special dispensation was given for Britain to enter a team for that competition only.

So in FM, unless the Olympics are hosted in a home nation, there shouldn't be a team from Britain entered. 

I'm out of touch with who the representatives are on the panel for IFAB at the moment, but I know Shaka Hislop was there for a few years as ex-player (Newcastle/West Ham/Pompey goalkeeper).

Thats fine but you know Ireland is not part of great britain though so this is kind of irrelevant?

1 hour ago, CoolDjGuyFromBerlin said:

Thats fine but you know Ireland is not part of great britain though so this is kind of irrelevant?

Errr yes. If you notice I was talking a generalisation in reponse to other posters. 

But thanks for pointing that out. :applause:

Archived