Be more expressive and hold shape

I know the pre-set tactics will almost always require tweaking, but I am interested in trying to tailor the 'tiki taka' one. I can see that tiki taka has both 'be more expressive' and 'hold shape' ticked. Aren't these quite contradictory? Has anybody had any success with both of these instructions?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware be more expressive relates to passing risk, not positional fluidity. 

So having Be More Expressive and Hold Shape is perfectly compatable.

I was referring to the transition instruction:

image.thumb.png.bb3446001623b44cd6bebdc4b919ecad.png

So you can either leave it blank, tell the team to counter or tell them to hold their shape. I was wondering how hold shape would work with a team that is also instructed to roam a little more using the 'be more expressive' instruction.

11 minutos atrás, ryandormer disse:

I was referring to the transition instruction:

image.thumb.png.bb3446001623b44cd6bebdc4b919ecad.png

So you can either leave it blank, tell the team to counter or tell them to hold their shape. I was wondering how hold shape would work with a team that is also instructed to roam a little more using the 'be more expressive' instruction.

You can roam and still hold your shape. It's not contradictory as you are thinking. You can roam and not make forward runs. That's what hold shape is, patience when you win the ball.

5 hours ago, Atarin said:

As far as I'm aware be more expressive relates to passing risk, not positional fluidity

It relates to both movement and how players deal with the ball when in possession (including passing style). But the "hold shape" TI is a transitional one, whereas BME is a regular in-possession instruction. Hold shape discourages players from attempting a counter-attack when they win the ball and enter the attacking transition phase of play, instead asking them to build-up the attack in a regular way (positionally). Btw, BME primarily pertains to player's behavior in the final third, rather than the early stage of attacks.

Now, how I translate/interpret the BME instruction: "dear players, I basically want you to play in this particular way, but at the same time I am willing to give those more creative among you freedom to occasionally try something that is not necessarily a part of my basic tactic". 

So the BME may somewhat mitigate the effects of "hold shape" in the sense of encouraging players to attempt a counter-attack on occasion, but only when they spot a really good opportunity.

5 hours ago, ryandormer said:

Has anybody managed to get a tactic working using these instructions?

I never use the Hold shape, but I think there is no reason why these two instructions could not be used at the same time (as I explained above).

Archived