Team- and playerinstructions / player traits

Hi guys 

I've been asking this question before, but was not quite satisfied with the answer... or in other words... not satisfied with my own understanding of the answer :-) 
Which is why I'll try again... 

For a long time been wondering how team- and playerinstructions awell as player traits "conflicts". My understanding of the interaction between them is, that teaminstructions is the instructions which you want to apply to all your players. Player instructions is therefore instructions you can apply to certain players, if you want them to do something different from the teaminstructions - if i understand this correctly it means that player instruction "overrules" the teaminstructions? 

Then taking player traits into account, does they then overrule both the teaminstructions and the playerinstructions? Eg. if i have a winger with the player trait "Cuts inside from both wings" which conflicts with the automatic player instruction of a winger "Run wide with ball", will it then make the player cut inside in the same "amount" as if he played as an Inside forward (this meaning that the player trait will "overrule" the player instruction of "Run wide with ball"), or will it actually make him do "both" more frequently in a way? 

... A follow-up question of the above is, if an Inside forward have the player trait of cutting inside, will it then make him do it "more" when he also gets the automatic player instruction from the inside forward-role?

Hope you understand my questions, which could propably have been more simplified...  

Thank you in advance!

19 minutes ago, pq said:

if i understand this correctly it means that player instruction "overrules" the teaminstructions? 

I don't think it overrules it. They work in synergy. If you for example play wheri aggressive, high press, get stuck in, close down urgently etc. but set one player to ease of tackles he will still be as aggressive like someone that isn't given that instruction in a tactic that doesn't play so aggressively.

24 minutes ago, pq said:

hen taking player traits into account, does they then overrule both the teaminstructions and the playerinstructions? Eg. if i have a winger with the player trait "Cuts inside from both wings" which conflicts with the automatic player instruction of a winger "Run wide with ball", will it then make the player cut inside in the same "amount" as if he played as an Inside forward (this meaning that the player trait will "overrule" the player instruction of "Run wide with ball"), or will it actually make him do "both" more frequently in a way? 

Again I don't think it overrules it, he will definently do both, to what extent, I don't really know.

They don't "overrule".  These tactical settings have a cumulative effect.

Mentality sets the starting point of tactical settings.  Team Instructions adjust that starting point.  Player Instructions then adjust things further.  And Traits make one final adjustment.  In that order.

If the Trait to run with ball often (for example) overruled everything else, all of your other tactical settings which relate to dribbling would be completely ignored by any player who happened to have that Trait - which is not how it works.

Example (I'm going to oversimplify here, this isn't how things actually work and is purely for illustration):

Balanced Mentality = 0;  TI to Dribble Less = -1;  PI to Dribble More = +1;  Trait to run with ball often = +1;  Cumulative total = +1.

Balanced Mentality = 0;  TI to Dribble More = +1;  PI to Dribble More = +1; Trait to run with ball often = +1;  Cumulative total = +3.

So in the second example, exactly the same player using the exact same Inside Forward role will tend to dribble more often than in the first example.  In other words, a cumulative effect.

(Don't get hung up on the "0", "-1" or "+1" above.  In reality weightings are different and more complex.  It's just to give you an idea what a cumulative effect means).

2 hours ago, yolixeya said:

I don't think it overrules it. They work in synergy. If you for example play wheri aggressive, high press, get stuck in, close down urgently etc. but set one player to ease of tackles he will still be as aggressive like someone that isn't given that instruction in a tactic that doesn't play so aggressively.

Again I don't think it overrules it, he will definently do both, to what extent, I don't really know.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

They don't "overrule".  These tactical settings have a cumulative effect.

Mentality sets the starting point of tactical settings.  Team Instructions adjust that starting point.  Player Instructions then adjust things further.  And Traits make one final adjustment.  In that order.

If the Trait to run with ball often (for example) overruled everything else, all of your other tactical settings which relate to dribbling would be completely ignored by any player who happened to have that Trait - which is not how it works.

Example (I'm going to oversimplify here, this isn't how things actually work and is purely for illustration):

Balanced Mentality = 0;  TI to Dribble Less = -1;  PI to Dribble More = +1;  Trait to run with ball often = +1;  Cumulative total = +1.

Balanced Mentality = 0;  TI to Dribble More = +1;  PI to Dribble More = +1; Trait to run with ball often = +1;  Cumulative total = +3.

So in the second example, exactly the same player using the exact same Inside Forward role will tend to dribble more often than in the first example.  In other words, a cumulative effect.

(Don't get hung up on the "0", "-1" or "+1" above.  In reality weightings are different and more complex.  It's just to give you an idea what a cumulative effect means).

Thank you for your answers! I think something finaly "clicked" in my understandig of it :-)

So the way to look at it is that nothing overrules anything else, but simply interact in some sort of "calculation" (which ofc. doesn't necessarily have to be -1, 0, +1 ect.) and make a player do something more/less? 

8 minutes ago, pq said:

So the way to look at it is that nothing overrules anything else, but simply interact in some sort of "calculation" (which ofc. doesn't necessarily have to be -1, 0, +1 ect.) and make a player do something more/less?

Yup :thup:.

4 hours ago, pq said:

if i understand this correctly it means that player instruction "overrules" the teaminstructions? 

No overrule, an inclination to do more of or less of, is a better way of putting it, unless they are playing in a position where they are hardcoded to behave in a certain way.

Archived