Help me survive the prem

So after winning 3 amazing promotions I find little Fgr in the prem and I need your help in helping us survive.

My way of playing is always the same a quick possession game with a high line in your face tactic and this hasn't changed in my last 3 seasons and im hoping we can continue this way in the prem rather than become defensive and hoping to survive.

I would rather go down all guns blazing.

So after a busy summer and only 20 million pound to spend this the motley crew that are going to try and stay up.

So what im looking for is who would you pick and what formation,roles etc would you come up with

Screenshot (62).png

Hi Luka thanks for your message yep I agree but I'm hoping with bannans exp and bennet on the wing should be a plus.

I was thinking defence would be ok until we got battered at anfield first game ☹️

Just think it's gonna be a long season and closing my eyes a lot!!!

Definitely thinking after the Liverpool battering may need not to be so stubborn and possibly go a bit more defensive but rather go down playing my way.

Maybe try a 4-1-4-1 or a bit more direct in a 4-4-2 as experience Defender has suggested with both FBI on defend duty but I only have 4 strikers and only 1 is prem standard and going direct may concede a lot of possession where if I can keep the ball at least it gives us a fighting chance.

All may not be bad though as drawing 0-0 with the saints and they only have had 1 shot on target at half time 👍

Tom Pearce :applause:

Went up with Leeds. I managed to get relegated, but had at decent second half of season. I found that I could get som results at home with my Championship tactics, just little tweaks. But never ever won away. So if I had another shot I would get serious with the away tactics and really get to the bottom with that. 

Good luck! 

As I promised earlier today, I'll now provide some more details on how I would play with your team. With the players you have, I think you should be neither too defensive nor overly attack-minded. Simply, you don't have players who are good enough to withstand extended periods of pressure if you go defensive. But on the other hand, you don't have players that can control the game in a top-level competition such as EPL either.

In terms of roles and duties, this would be (more or less) how I would set them up (4-4-2):

PFsu    AF

WMat    CMde    DLPsu     IWsu

FBsu     CDco     NCBde     FBsu

SKde

Who would be my first-choice 11 for this particular setup and what PIs I would give them:

GK/SKde - Hart - no PIs

DL/FBsu - Pearce - take fewer risks

DR/FBsu - Kenny or Shephard - no PIs

DCL/CDco - Carter-Vickers - stay wider

DCR/NCBde - Dunkley - no PIs

ML/WMat - Bennets - run wide with ball, cross more often, mark tighter

MR/IWsu - Gogia - get further forward, roam from position, take more risks, mark tighter

MCL/CMde - McGuane - mark tighter

MCR/DLPsu - Bannan - mark tighter

STCL/PFsu - Rondon - shorter passing, shoot more often

STCR/AF - Berahino - stay wider

Mentality in most cases would be balanced.

In possession - slightly more direct passing, play wider, hit early crosses, underlap left, overlap right (optional instruction - higher tempo)

In transition - counter, distribute to CBs and FBs (optional instruction - regroup)

Out of possession is a bit more tricky. I would always set the LOE one notch lower than DL in this 442 system. So if the DL is higher, LOE would be standard. And if DL is standard, LOE would be lower. Experiment with these two combinations to see what suits your players better in different situations. Pressing intensity - depending on the match/opposition would be either standard or (slightly) less urgent. You can also sometimes use tighter marking as an optional TI.

In addition to 442, I would also occasionally employ a 4411, because you have a couple of players that can be nicely employed in the AMC position

Now that this basic tactic is here, I would like to discuss it with you and hear if you have any questions, suggestions... do you like the tactic or not... does it suit your preferred style of play or you want to try something different, maybe more adventurous, or more conservative, etc... This is just an idea, not a plug-and-play tactic that works for any opposition and in any situation. 

Hi Experienced Defender many thanks for your tips I will definitely have a look at this later but I really like your ideas as I was having a look at a possible 4-4-2 but with both FB on defend but this may be a bit negative.

I definitely think I will have to come away from my possession based game and try something new although results have been encouraging as drew with Leeds and Burnley and beat Southampton.

I will definitely look at your system and do you think against bigger teams I should go with a cautious mentality 

17 minutes ago, Ciderarmy said:

I was having a look at a possible 4-4-2 but with both FB on defend

That can also be an option for tougher games (against top teams).

18 minutes ago, Ciderarmy said:

do you think against bigger teams I should go with a cautious mentality 

Depends. You can go with cautious, but you should not be so defensive in your approach as to allow them to "squeeze" you into your own penalty area all the time, because chances are that they will eventually break you down by applying so much pressure ("brute force", as Rashidi calls it). I would start such matches also on balanced mentality, but with somewhat more conservative setup of roles/duties and certain TIs (less pressing, lower LOE, regroup etc.), and when I see how things are developing in the first 15 minutes, could either keep it up or lower the mentality a notch.

Archived