Trouble breaking down "park the bus" teams

Hey,

At the start of my second season with Man Utd. Struggling to break lower teams home/away. I can usually score well from set pieces and create a decent amount of chances but I'm not converting as many as I would like to....I should be dominating consistently 3-0+ with this squad I have. Can anyone offer pointers to my tactics?

Note* I do change tactics mid game based upon analysis and reading the game. But this is my default setting.

EDIT: Also really struggling to get Rashford involved....have played him as a DLF:A and PF:A to no success. Thinking maybe trying a False 9 just to get him more involved? Idk.

20190209013051_1.jpg

You are rushing the play too much. Attacking mentality + much higher tempo + pass into space + run at defence + 4 out of 5 advanced players on attack duty. Then you have both overlap left and right and focus play down L & R, along with wider attacking width. Both wide forwards on the same role and duty, meaning no variety in the final third. And then both fullbacks again on the same role and duty. All this points to a clear one-dimensionality of your system. To say nothing about your extremely aggressive defending, which is made even riskier by an equally aggressive manner of attacking. 

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

You are rushing the play too much. Attacking mentality + much higher tempo + pass into space + run at defence + 4 out of 5 advanced players on attack duty. Then you have both overlap left and right and focus play down L & R, along with wider attacking width. Both wide forwards on the same role and duty, meaning no variety in the final third. And then both fullbacks again on the same role and duty. All this points to a clear one-dimensionality of your system. To say nothing about your extremely aggressive defending, which is made even riskier by an equally aggressive manner of attacking. 

Well, what do you recommend?

31 minutes ago, chad2192 said:

Well, what do you recommend?

Can you post screenshots of Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Milinkovic-Savic player profiles, so that I could analyze them in detail and see how best they would be fitted in a system? I have some basic ideas, but would like to gain as much knowledge of your players as possible before I can offer more concrete advice.

23 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Can you post screenshots of Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Milinkovic-Savic player profiles, so that I could analyze them in detail and see how best they would be fitted in a system? I have some basic ideas, but would like to gain as much knowledge of your players as possible before I can offer more concrete advice.

Lol you can literally pull those up yourself buddy

3 hours ago, faith7777 said:

Here you go, I use this when I’m away from the laptop.

https://fmdataba.com/

This is great, thanx :thup:

However, one important things is missing - which is their stronger foot? I know Pogba's is left and I think Martial's is right, but have no idea about Lingard, Rashford and Milinkovic-Savic? And their traits are also missing btw.

I would  play Pogba as a MEZ in your 4141dm wide system. Martial would be an IF on support (AML). SMS can defiitely play as a mezzala, but in this system I would play him as a BBM because having 2 mezzalas can be quite risky and on top of that a bit one-dimensional. Lingard - winger on attack (AMR), assuming he's right-footed. And finally Rashford would be a PF on attack. Now, given that we sorted out roles and duties for your front five guys, what about the rest? In order for a system to be well-balanced and defensively stable, you always need to think about who's gonna cover for those bombing forward. And here is how a potential setup could look:

PFat

IFsu                                   Wat

MEZsu       BBM

DLPde

WBsu     CDde   BPDde     FBsu

GK/SKde

When using some other players, the setup might require some tweaks, depending on their attributes and traits.

As for your team instructions, I would remove most of them because there is no reason for such an overkill. I mean, you are playing on attacking team mentality, so the appetite for risk of your players is already on a very high level. There's no point in going to extremes. So my primary team instructions would be these:

Mentality - attacking (sometimes positive, and against other top teams you might even consider balanced)

In possession - work ball into box, low (or whipped) crosses, be more expressive (occasionally focus play down the right)

In transition - counter, distribute quickly to CBs and FBs (and only sometimes counter-press)

Out of possession - higher DL, higher LOE, more urgent (or normal) pressing, stay on feet, offside trap.

Player instructions:

DR (FBsu) - sit narrower, hold position

MCR (BBM) - get further forward

AML (IFsu) - sit narrower

AMR (Wat) - roam from position

ST (PFat) - move into channels

DM and both CMs - mark tighter

You can also sometimes use Pogba as a RPM. Lingard can play an IF on attack (AMR), but then Rashford's role could be changed to a PF on support (instead of attack). There are a couple of other possible combinations with this bunch of players, but you'll need to experiment a bit.

Think holistically. How do the instructions you've given affect what the players do on the pitch?

You've told them "Pass into Space"

Where are you creating space for them to pass into?

If the opposition is parking the bus, that means they have their whole team back in their own third of the pitch, combine that with your aggressive attacking mentality pushing players forward ...

There is no freely occurring space to pass into, you have FORCE space to open up.

If you cant visualise player movements when you're team transitions into an attack, make a sketch.

Use green movement-paths for what your attack role players will do, and red movement paths for what your support role players will do.

Where do those red/green paths lead, how do they combine and support or interfere with each other.

That should show you where you're tactic is failing to overcome an overpopulated defence.

ps

Also, please remember, even with a perfect tactic and excellent players

Parking the bus is a viable method to stop you scoring goals

Not losing under those conditions a positive outcome.

Archived