Liverpool vs. City (07/10/18) - tactical replications

As a Liverpool fan, I'll try to present Klopp's tactic the way I saw it, and you are all welcome to give your thoughts on my view of LFC tactic and/or try to replicate Pep's today tactic against LFC. Note that LFC tactic did not remain the same throughout the entire match, but I'd say it basically looked like this for most of the time:

Formation - 4-3-3 Wide

Mentality - Control / Standard

Shape - Fluid

Team Instructions:

D-line - normal / deeper

Close Down - more

Tempo - higher / normal

Passing - shorter / mixed

Other TIs - play out of defence, low crosses, roam from positions

Players' roles, duties & PIs:

GK (Alison) - SWK sup - roll it out

DCL (Van Dijk) - BDP st/def

DCR (Lovren) - CD cov/def

DL (Robertson) - WB at/sup

DR (Gomez) - WB def / FB sup - sit narrower

MCL (Milner / Keita) - CAR / BtBM

MC (Henderson) - DLP def

MCR (Vijnaldum) - MEZ sup

AML (Mane) - IF sup - max closing down

AMR (Salah) - IF att (occasionally sit narrower) - max closing down

ST (Firmino) - F9 - max closing down

36 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

As a Liverpool fan, I'll try to present Klopp's tactic the way I saw it, and you are all welcome to give your thoughts on my view of LFC tactic and/or try to replicate Pep's today tactic against LFC. Note that LFC tactic did not remain the same throughout the entire match, but I'd say it basically looked like this for most of the time:

Formation - 4-3-3 Wide

Mentality - Control / Standard

Shape - Fluid

Team Instructions:

D-line - normal / deeper

Close Down - more

Tempo - higher / normal

Passing - shorter / mixed

Other TIs - play out of defence, low crosses, roam from positions

Players' roles, duties & PIs:

GK (Alison) - SWK sup - roll it out

DCL (Van Dijk) - BDP st/def

DCR (Lovren) - CD cov/def

DL (Robertson) - WB at/sup

DR (Gomez) - WB def / FB sup - sit narrower

MCL (Milner / Keita) - CAR / BtBM

MC (Henderson) - DLP def

MCR (Vijnaldum) - MEZ sup

AML (Mane) - IF sup - max closing down

AMR (Salah) - IF att (occasionally sit narrower) - max closing down

ST (Firmino) - F9 - max closing down

1. Klopp is never fluid. Structured/Flexible

2. Robertson isn´t WB attack - he doesn´t take too many risks. Support instead with PPM "more attacking runs"
3. Henderson isn´t playmaker - Klopp didn´t use playmaker while Couts leave. Halfback role is ideal to Henderson due to his dropping between centerbacks to create back 3.
4. Keita is defo mezzala - Klopp says he is great in halfspaces and has great understanding with Mane so they overload left side (Robertson often support them)

5. Mane is winger. Right footed as a left winger he is going to the central areas and open space in the left wing, dragging fullback often to create space to Robertson.
6. Firmino as a F9? No way. F9 in game drop deep when he is going to recieve pass, but Bobby in real life is still deeper and attack enemy from deep. So many runners creates havoc in enemy´s defence. DLFs for me.

So tactics for me -
GKd - WBs- CDd- CDd- WBs, CMs - Halfback -CMa (or mezzala), IFa (Salah) - DLFs - Ws (Mane)
Standard/ Structured 

Standard because it´s not rushing play so creates better chances.
Structured because this creates more space between players to play. 
Some TI - Higher defensive line, Offside trap, Play out of defense, Low crosses. - Sometimes usses higher tempo - never against side which is sitting too deep. Sometimes using Work ball to the box - if i think there are lot of long shots instead of passing. 

PI - Front  5 have all mark tighter because in this season is isn´t about geggenpressing, instead Klopp using pressing traps on opposition DM or force opponent to play long because closing the passing lanes to the defenders and midfielders. So keeper play it long and LFC defense (with DM) wins almost every header and win the ball back. 

If you are asking why I don´t using close down more - I believe this shout is something like "roam from position" but for defensive play - Players are leaving their´s positions which is creating gaps and open space for opposition to exploit. 

P.S. I am in first season with LFC and tactics is very good - best I ever seen to replicate IRL Liverpool. But at the second season is Naby Keita coming and I think that CMs is quite limiting role for him so I think abou change it to Roaming playmaker to use his dribbling to break lines.

13 hours ago, Tyrinko said:

1. Klopp is never fluid. Structured/Flexible

2. Robertson isn´t WB attack - he doesn´t take too many risks. Support instead with PPM "more attacking runs"
3. Henderson isn´t playmaker - Klopp didn´t use playmaker while Couts leave. Halfback role is ideal to Henderson due to his dropping between centerbacks to create back 3.
4. Keita is defo mezzala - Klopp says he is great in halfspaces and has great understanding with Mane so they overload left side (Robertson often support them)

5. Mane is winger. Right footed as a left winger he is going to the central areas and open space in the left wing, dragging fullback often to create space to Robertson.
6. Firmino as a F9? No way. F9 in game drop deep when he is going to recieve pass, but Bobby in real life is still deeper and attack enemy from deep. So many runners creates havoc in enemy´s defence. DLFs for me.

So tactics for me -
GKd - WBs- CDd- CDd- WBs, CMs - Halfback -CMa (or mezzala), IFa (Salah) - DLFs - Ws (Mane)
Standard/ Structured 

Standard because it´s not rushing play so creates better chances.
Structured because this creates more space between players to play. 
Some TI - Higher defensive line, Offside trap, Play out of defense, Low crosses. - Sometimes usses higher tempo - never against side which is sitting too deep. Sometimes using Work ball to the box - if i think there are lot of long shots instead of passing. 

PI - Front  5 have all mark tighter because in this season is isn´t about geggenpressing, instead Klopp using pressing traps on opposition DM or force opponent to play long because closing the passing lanes to the defenders and midfielders. So keeper play it long and LFC defense (with DM) wins almost every header and win the ball back. 

If you are asking why I don´t using close down more - I believe this shout is something like "roam from position" but for defensive play - Players are leaving their´s positions which is creating gaps and open space for opposition to exploit. 

P.S. I am in first season with LFC and tactics is very good - best I ever seen to replicate IRL Liverpool. But at the second season is Naby Keita coming and I think that CMs is quite limiting role for him so I think abou change it to Roaming playmaker to use his dribbling to break lines.

They do counterpress though when the situation is ideal for it, but you are  indeed right - Klopp has changed LFC this season. Maybe its a means to conserve some energy in the start of a very, very long season. Their intensity and willingness to make games more chaotic has lessened this season and I think your replication is very spot on. They are right now focusing a lot on keeping the defensive structure together and engage the opponent just before the halfway line. Before the Napoli and City games they had great success of transitioning fast when the ball was won in midfield. 

It is quite interesting to see if Klopp later on stomps on the speeder and unleash the beast that was LFC last season. 

25 minutes ago, Gegenklaus said:

They do counterpress though when the situation is ideal for it, but you are  indeed right - Klopp has changed LFC this season. Maybe its a means to conserve some energy in the start of a very, very long season. Their intensity and willingness to make games more chaotic has lessened this season and I think your replication is very spot on. They are right now focusing a lot on keeping the defensive structure together and engage the opponent just before the halfway line. Before the Napoli and City games they had great success of transitioning fast when the ball was won in midfield. 

It is quite interesting to see if Klopp later on stomps on the speeder and unleash the beast that was LFC last season. 

Thanks its just my opinion from games, articles and scout reports. In future I see two tactics for LFC - "4-3-3" and "west ham game 4-2-3-1" so Fabinho will be playing halfback role or in double pivot, Keita will be mezzala or left inside forward, Mane will be right wing and Salah with Bobby for two central attackers. It shows why LFC bought Shaqiri and want Fekir (now rumours about Paqueta. All of them can play across front four, Keita and Fabinho can be great double pivot of amazing new gameplan.

23 minutes ago, Tyrinko said:

Thanks its just my opinion from games, articles and scout reports. In future I see two tactics for LFC - "4-3-3" and "west ham game 4-2-3-1" so Fabinho will be playing halfback role or in double pivot, Keita will be mezzala or left inside forward, Mane will be right wing and Salah with Bobby for two central attackers. It shows why LFC bought Shaqiri and want Fekir (now rumours about Paqueta. All of them can play across front four, Keita and Fabinho can be great double pivot of amazing new gameplan.

If LFC gets a number 10 kind of player  - who can play across the midfield - they have quite a toolbox and - in my opinion - a complete team for what Klopp wants. But so does City ... :D

3 minutes ago, Gegenklaus said:

If LFC gets a number 10 kind of player  - who can play across the midfield - they have quite a toolbox and - in my opinion - a complete team for what Klopp wants. But so does City ... :D

This is not true. LFC don't need proper number 10. They have creativity from Bobby and Mane, Keita can create a lot with his dribling. They need someone who can play from deep in a way that Ox play - forward runs, pressing, dribling, shooting. Creating that kind of havoc which was key to form of front three last season. Called it "number 10" is so lazy for me because I think that players is someone who is heart of the team, the most important player which is going to click the team together. In LFC this player is Firmino.

4 hours ago, Tyrinko said:

This is not true. LFC don't need proper number 10. They have creativity from Bobby and Mane, Keita can create a lot with his dribling. They need someone who can play from deep in a way that Ox play - forward runs, pressing, dribling, shooting. Creating that kind of havoc which was key to form of front three last season. Called it "number 10" is so lazy for me because I think that players is someone who is heart of the team, the most important player which is going to click the team together. In LFC this player is Firmino.

Klopp is quoted as saying counter-pressing is his no. 10. When they win the ball with a counter press, they are one pass away from a clear chance. No playmaker has the same level of efficiency. 

3 minutes ago, AFCBeer said:

Klopp is quoted as saying counter-pressing is his no. 10. When they win the ball with a counter press, they are one pass away from a clear chance. No playmaker has the same level of efficiency. 

Klopp says it, this is true. Wasn't coutinho something like playmaker during his last half season in LFC? After his transfer Mane was acting like wide playmaker from wing in some games. So IT isn't completly true that he isn't using playmakers because of counterpress. 

Archived