is 2009 a step in the right direction

I've played all the football manger games from SI since cm2 and every year people expect a massive inprovement on the year before. Every new version has become more complicated (after all it's a sim and striving for realism) with the time needed to play a full season ever longer. Has SI gone too much for realism and not enough for playability with the latest 2009.

It's a good question, tbf, I think we need to get used to the new additions to the game like press conferences and the 3D engine, after you've played the game for a few months I'm sure we'll get used to it.

I think SI are trying to achieve the right level in both camps, if you have to much playability people will moan it's too unrealistic, if you make it too realistic people will moan it's lost it's playability. SI really are stuck between a rock and a hard place, there will always be people who will moan about the game no matter what.

Sometimes you just want to get on with a season.

That's fair enough. It's never going to be as quick as the old CM games, but I still think it is very playable watching a season unfold rather than speeding through. Seems to have a decent pace once you are outside of the transfer window, with the exception of the international weeks- but then you have to get a cuppa somewhen!

The more functions and settings there are, the more functions and settings there are that never get used. What i miss sometimes is some assistant in the game to remind me of a lot of things. Playing a game isnt like being a real person, and you just might happen to forget things that real people couldnt. So, assistant manager, please dont make me forget all those things that are so easy to overlook.

I think its defenite a step in the right direction, they have started to implement the assistant feedback feature for matches which is a huge help for me as i've been playing cm/fm for many years and always have trouble making tactics. Ive not been so excited about an FM game in years.

The whole series is an evolutionary process. People get so hung up on the thought of paying thirty quid each year for a game that seemingly only slightly changes year to year. When in fact what we are getting is the best quality football management game, year on year with new options and an updated database with every edition. I'd hazard a very conservative guess that the average FM player spends about 7-10 hrs playing each week. Tell me, what other entertainment activity can you for that long (and more) each week that costs 30 quid a year? On the subject of FM09, we will be getting more tweaks to an already impressive game, both in realism and gameplay. Frankly, I couldn't care less about the 3D, because regardless of the quality of your graphics card, the likelihood is that you'll get sick of seeing the carbon copy goals and revert to 2D. What I'm interested in is if they have tweaked the match engine to ensure the annoying bugs of the past are gone and that the transfer system is better. I'm not going to base my decisions on a bug ridden pile of cr*p demo, the proof is in the finished article (let's face it, the second or third patch). I will buy the game, as I know they will get it right and I know that despite the bugs the new gameplay features will be a step in the right direction. We had the same debate about FM08 and everyone ended up loving it, so let's reserve judgement until we see the game for real.

To me it isnt a step in the right direction. Sure they improved a few things here and there but that is ruined by the mistakes they made. Where is the highlight slider? I am annoyed that they removed it because some people are a bit ******** and cant work it out (and are still apparently able to understand all of those tactics sliders that even SI cant explain to us in detail). The moved manager options to a sub menu instead of leaving them where they are supposed to be. Its very annoying unless you are used to the new icons and im sure most of us old timers dont use them. Match initialization. Instead of improving the already appalling responsiveness of the game they introduced more waiting time . Jeezus. Some of us have very little free time and would like to spend it playing the game and not waiting for the game. Must be hell for those on weak machines and judging by all the complaints from people with crappy machines there must be a lot of them mostly waiting for the game instead of playing. Even on my overclocked quad core it was unbearable. And the last complaint. DRM. Seriously? Should we really support this? Must everything be controlled by some big brother. Im sorry but to me FM09 is a miss. I wont complain about a very very dated 3d engine because its their first try and will surely be improved in the future. Im sure they will be soon able to match for example a five year old fifa engine.

Archived