Issues with Steam updates

Why do I lose my latest saved game every time Steam updates? Sometimes I can only recover a game from days ago even though I play it more or less every day and save the game before every match. Please help!! This is really detracting from my enjoyment of the game and makes me think it’s not worth playing. 

Well, all I can say is that it always happens after Steam updates and also when Windows updates. This would seem more than coincidental. It says the latest saved game “cannot be loaded.” So I have to resort to the previous one which can be from some days previously. I have tried a restore via the SI folder and have tried to restore the relevant game to no avail. 

A save that cannot be loaded would indicate that there has been a power issue while that save was running or saving and so it has been corrupted, so it has nothing to do with steam or windows.  Make sure that you close the game down by going through the in-game menu and leave your computer for 30-45 seconds after closing the game before shutting off power, as steam overwrites files in the background after you close the game.

I would check this:

a. Are you making and loading saves within the same FM version

b)  have you edited data, using custom graphics, skins etc

c) look at the game save file sies are they similar? Are the ones you attempt to reload of a much smaller size?

d) check and confirm what AV you are using

e) do you close down FM via the normal and expected method

f) do you close down your PC via the normal method or are you aborting programs still opne without closing them down in the normal method

g) are you saving to cloud or locally ?

I would test this:

1. make a game save then perform a re-load

2. Switch off AV, make a game save then perform a reload then switch on AV

Steam and Windows updates happen all the time on a regular basis so by your logic EVERY save would be corrupted since the turn of the year rather than just a few.  You have 10 save corruptions yet Steam and Windows will have had more than 10 updates so far this year 

If this was a defacto problem then every PC / Steam user saving files on FM would have the same problem which they dont. 

As mentioned from this point onwards following a save code down FM in the cirrect manner and close down windiws in the correct manner

Archived