Dechamps tactics with France (discussion)?

Last night I watched France vs. Holand and carefully analyzed the way Dechamps' guys were playing. Nominally, it was a 4-2-3-1. However, if I were to translate it into FM, I fear it would be a bit different. The main reason is Matuidi (nominally AML). He simply did not play in any wide forward role that is available in FM18. Even if Defensive Winger still existed in the game, Matuidi's role was not that. What he was doing was a typical example of a box-to-box mid.

Based on what I saw during the match, I would say the French formation, roles and duties for most of the time were actually the following:

DF/DLF(s)

SS/AP(a)                  IF(a)

BtBM    RPM    CAR

FB(a)   CD(st)    BPD(c)    WB(s/d)

GK

Control, flexible, normal d-line, normal tempo, shorter passing.

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Last night I watched France vs. Holand and carefully analyzed the way Dechamps' guys were playing. Nominally, it was a 4-2-3-1. However, if I were to translate it into FM, I fear it would be a bit different. The main reason is Matuidi (nominally AML). He simply did not play in any wide forward role that is available in FM18. Even if Defensive Winger still existed in the game, Matuidi's role was not that. What he was doing was a typical example of a box-to-box mid.

Based on what I saw during the match, I would say the French formation, roles and duties for most of the time were actually the following:

DF/DLF(s)

SS/AP(a)                  IF(a)

BtBM    RPM    CAR

FB(a)   CD(st)    BPD(c)    WB(s/d)

GK

Control, flexible, normal d-line, normal tempo, shorter passing.

Any thoughts?

I will go for 4-3-3  GK- Wbs, CDst, CDc, FBs - Mezzala s /Matuidi role/, RPM, Car - AMa, SS, DLFs

Matiudi plays out like a carrilero. Supporting the central midfield with protecting the left flank. In a way their tactic is similar to Portugal’s 442 in which ronaldo plays like a pseudo wing forward but whose defensive duties on that flank are taken care of by the central midfielder on that side. Greizmann tends to drift to the flanks as he used to be a winger during his real sociedad days so it makes sense for someone defensively responsible like matiudi to cover for him like a carrilero.

Archived