Game feels "scripted"

17 minutes ago, raxnt said:

If you guys feel its a bit over the top sometimes, I explained the differences between the teams very well so you would get an idea of how insanely complacent my team would have had to be to create this kind of one-sided result repeatedly

Difference (in term of attributes) between a weak team predicted to fight against relegation and a mid-table team is 10 % (EPL).  And in some conditions complacency can be much more intense. There are some unlucky days when a mid-table team is literally weaker than the weakest team of the league, especially if many key players are highly affected.  

@GreenTriangle, there usually is also never a team competing in-game with "league 2" quality players on average two tiers above (championship) too. Not managed by AI anways. Overall, the game doesn't work like that. The only way any of this could be looked at is if it could actually be looked at. But not my issue, ultimatively. :shrug: Have fun and take care.

Edited by Svenc

After my 18 seasons with Salford City you certainly get a feel for games when you go into them. Something which often happens with me against the bigger teams is that I storm/dominate the first half, go 2 or 3 nil up and then no matter what I do the opposing team will either come back for a draw or nick a win. It's funny as multiple games like this I can almost spot the pattern even in the first half when I'm dominating, I'm 2-0, 3-0 or in some cases 4-0 up and I now feel I know I'm going to lose/draw the game. It has really frustrated me on FM2018 as games seem to follow very similar patterns.

I don't think the game is scripted, but it does feel like game follows patterns which makes games play out in very samey way.

That pattern at the root cause is how AI management works. There is a part of the code visibly (and has been for a very long time) that can make them try to keep the harm to a minimum after conceding goals. Most of the time, they switch things around in attempts to get back into the game, however. That is, "somebody" is actually doing something to encourage "comebacks". Unfortunately, that creates a few curious dynamics too, depending on what is being done. E.g. if you don't cover for the "infamous" switch for three centre forwards (and similar), you may (if you're particularly unfortunate), concede 3 goals in the space of 10 minutes. Upon which the AI switches back, as it has equalized the game. There was a thread in the tactics forums were somebody had uploaded just that kind of game, with 3 goals conceded that way off easy breaks (the 3 fishermen ). It's a comparable "recent" thing introduced into the game, no less as in older editions of the game forwards behaved differently.

But then, I've already argued that there is many people that actually know possible solutions on these boards. Imo it's not very much football, so long-term has to go. After all, one of the main arguments was whether the OP scenario was "realistic". Simple formational switches in real football don't turn matches updside down from one minute to the next, no less as players would arguably adapt some themselves, rather than needing an invitation to not leave players unmarked and no cover in sight. edit: Then again, looking at Germany's matches this summer --  all of them -- the extent of this is some debatable. :D

Edited by Svenc

Have you checked when the current manager arrived at the club? I normally see their turn of form coinsides with a change of manager. It's like big Sam's first he at a new club in February. You know there is a 80% he won't lost (my exaggeration).

• 2 years later...

I read the initial post and had the exact experience, because I will sometimes replay results to learn the impact of different strategies and tactics on an unexpected result.  I'm at my 7th play through and have had the exact experience of lopsided defeats from an inferior team.  If not scripted, there is way too much influence from non players on the pitch factors that make the game feel like it wants a particular outcome and nothing I can do will change that.  It undermines my trust in the game engine.  I could see there could be external factors that would affect the engine and lead to surprising outcomes (crummy teams in real life do occasionally humble their betters) but the experience described here and my own 7 trial experiment tell me that some game outcomes are scripted, and no purist's argument can convince me otherwise. 

• HUNT3R locked and unlocked this topic
  • HUNT3R locked this topic