How to set up zonal marking?

I've been playing this latest version of FM for a while now and although i have a solid tactic working pretty well for me right now i'm fed up with seeing some ridiculously bad defending leading to sloppy goals, i'm not about to blame the game, i feel it's to do with my tactics and if i could just work out how to get players to not get sucked out of position all the time i feel this would put a stop to this, is there a solution that keeps players roughly in their zone for defending?

Also what does marking an opposition position do? I am wondering more about if i put this in my tactic and the opponents don't have a player playing in that position, what would my played do?

Any help is appreciated

Zonal marking is set by default in the Match Engine.

If you are having problems with players being sucked out of position it could mean any number of things such as: too much closing down; too much closing down in the wrong areas; players with too much Aggression; not enough midfield cover for your centre backs; lots of movement from opposition attackers pulling your defenders around; some/all of the above; something else entirely.

For more specific ideas rather than generalisations you'd need to post your detailed tactical system along with (ideally) examples of what's going on.

Herne brings up some good points, and it's likely that you'll be able to cut out some of the sloppy-looking goals, but there are some fundamental issues with the ME this year in terms of how midfielders and particularly fullbacks act in the defensive phase of the game, so I'd expect some absolutely Sunday League stuff at times regardless of how well-put-together your tactic is. Much like the issue with the quality of long shots this year, you can ameliorate it to some degree, but you'll have to resign yourself and turn a blind eye to the rest.

9 hours ago, NCFC Gee said:

I've been playing this latest version of FM for a while now and although i have a solid tactic working pretty well for me right now i'm fed up with seeing some ridiculously bad defending leading to sloppy goals, i'm not about to blame the game, i feel it's to do with my tactics and if i could just work out how to get players to not get sucked out of position all the time i feel this would put a stop to this, is there a solution that keeps players roughly in their zone for defending?

Also what does marking an opposition position do? I am wondering more about if i put this in my tactic and the opponents don't have a player playing in that position, what would my played do?

Any help is appreciated

I recommend you read this first as herne said. We're gonna need more info that that...

Thankyou for the help all, what was said actually makes a lot of sense, i'm going to try and lower the closing down and aggression of my defence at least and see what happens and as for the full backs it seems i may just have to accept it.742151767_NorwichCity_Overview.thumb.png.515fba70d1f5938402214b9a51ca518d.png51685110_NorwichCity_Overview-2.thumb.png.2fbf2fc9c5ec6a435e1fd62586b031fc.png595148783_NorwichCity_Overview-3.thumb.png.c6f2786f507895a2e5bbe64d104d61ec.png1486371285_NorwichCity_Overview-4.thumb.png.9437b036f557e50ef086943e57d9efef.png

As you can see the team is set to mark tightly, close down more and get stuck in as are all the players individually too.

3 hours ago, NCFC Gee said:

As you can see the team is set to mark tightly, close down more and get stuck in as are all the players individually too.

Yeh that'll be a reason.  You're also using the Attacking mentality which sets a very high amount of closing down by default.  You then add all those additional instructions on top of that so your tactic overall is very aggressive.

Archived