Close to good tactic - any tips?

I am on my second season with spurs and doing ok, some fairly bad injuries to key players (lloris out for 5 months, Kane out for 4 months) has made the season quite tough. Anyway, I have been working on a 41221 attacking tactic which has had some success, but I am not quite there. I loose when I should draw, draw when I should win. I think with a few more decent additions to the squad it will be pretty good, however I could do with some tips on the tactic, so anything jump out as obviously wrong or could do with tweaking? Thanks.1.thumb.jpg.8227c8af3e089169f745dcea080f367e.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d3eac32c5ccd7dd51bbce099b79ec29d.jpg

Your back 5 looks very conservative, even though your on Attacking mentality + Fluid Team Shape so defend duty will still take some risks I think you could give a bit more freedom and support.

Retain Possession + Play Out Of Defence is very conservative when you have Vertonghen + De Ligt (plus Alder?).  On Attacking mentality the passing range of the defenders will be quite short by default so i'm not sure you need Play Out Of Defence, i'd give them a bit more freedom since they have the ball playing ability.

In attack I don't really like having AP on a wing and then your only attack duties on the opposite flank, if the AP is going to create for them it will need to be a cross field ball or an actual cross.  Whilst its possible the ball could rotate from that flank i'd be tempted to put the CM-A in MCR (maybe a MEZ-A?) and have a generic MCL role like CM-S to sit behind the IF-A and hopefully play him through whilst still being around or in the box himself.

Thanks for the reply @summatsupeer.

I have tried a few different things now, but its not quite happened with this tactic yet. Based on your suggestions I have made a few more tweaks.

• Switched both CBs to BPD and turned off play out of defence.
  • Switched full backs to FB-S - the FB-D has been a bit of a trial and it has been ok, still not quite right though.
  • Switched the two CMs around. I now have the a MEZ-S on the left and the CM-A on the right. I was shipping to many goals with 4231 and so I shifted to this tactic and it has been better. However I still wanted to get Alli and Eriksen in the side, hence the CM-a (alli) and AP-S (Eriksen). Eriksen has still been good in that role, 10 assists and 10 goals so far. 

Any thoughts on the DMC role? I have tried Dier in a few different roles, DEF-D and now as a Anchor, he is getting an average around 6.9 all season but I think he can do a bit better.

Thanks for help.

6.9 Is actually a pretty decent ave rating for a non creative defensive midfielder, given the way the match engine generates the ratings, it appears key passes, assists and goals are king for good ratings, where as interceptions, tackles, and passes completed, have a smaller impact.  I tend to ignore the ave rating for such players, unless it is really poor, and focus on how he is linking with other players and the actual affect his role his playing by what I see.

DM don't usually have very high average ratings, if they don't score or asisst often, so anything around a 7.0 is ok. If you have clean sheets he'll get a bit of a boost.

Regarding your changes, don't confuse BPD with the TI 'play out of defence'. BPD have the instruction to try through balls, but if they don't see a good passing option they will play normally like a regular CD would. So you can use both BPD and the 'play out of defence' TI :thup: 

Archived