Just when I thought nothing was going to work....

I'm playing as Sunderland I've tried 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-3 with very limited success. 

I've just created this tactic: 4-3-3  and have won the last 4 including beating top of the league Middlesbrough 1-2 away from home!

GK - D

FB - S

CB - D

CB - D 

FB - S

DLP -S

BWM - D

CAR - S

DLF - S

Poacher - A

DF - S

Now I know this tactic isn't going to fire me to champions league any time soon but i have two questions;

1: is there any major flaws you see with this tactic?

2: Are other managers likely to get used to my formation and reduce how effective it is?

any feedback appreciated ..... cheers 

I don't want to rain on your parade ('cos any tactic that works is good) but three-striker formations are generally overpowered in this match engine. But I'm not ashamed to say that I've used something similar to  yours to get Gateshead promoted to League Two.

On the other hand, I've had great success in FM18 with a 4132 narrow, a 4231DM, and a 433 wide. I haven't yet (properly) tried three-at-the-back, although I had success with that with Wolves in a trial save; and I haven't played a 442, but there are enough success stories on the forum to suggest that they'll work just as well. My feeling is that this is a pretty well-balanced match engine, and that tactics are not the whole story - squad- and man-management are also very important, if not more so. It's all good.

It's a game, and like all games it's supposed to be fun. If you're enjoying a save what more can we ask?

12 hours ago, warlock said:

I don't want to rain on your parade ('cos any tactic that works is good) but three-striker formations are generally overpowered in this match engine. But I'm not ashamed to say that I've used something similar to  yours to get Gateshead promoted to League Two.

On the other hand, I've had great success in FM18 with a 4132 narrow, a 4231DM, and a 433 wide. I haven't yet (properly) tried three-at-the-back, although I had success with that with Wolves in a trial save; and I haven't played a 442, but there are enough success stories on the forum to suggest that they'll work just as well. My feeling is that this is a pretty well-balanced match engine, and that tactics are not the whole story - squad- and man-management are also very important, if not more so. It's all good.

It's a game, and like all games it's supposed to be fun. If you're enjoying a save what more can we ask?

Oh really? That's a shame looks like I'll have to start from scratch. 

May have a look at the 4-3-2-1 with wingers. 

Cheers 

13 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

You didn't provide the tactic info. Just the shape and roles n duties. What about shape and mentality? Team Instructions? Can't really provide any feedback with half the required information.

Ah yes, sorry mate. 

Flexible - standard/control depending on home or away and opposition standard. 

Only TI's I have are prevent GK distribution and Mark tighter 

I tend to play with one striker, because with 3 strikers it is like cheating the game. It's a massive flaw that multi striker tactics are so overpowered and that kills the fun for me. 

2 hours ago, Haiku said:

I tend to play with one striker, because with 3 strikers it is like cheating the game. It's a massive flaw that multi striker tactics are so overpowered and that kills the fun for me. 

I was unaware of the fact 3-striker systems are so overpowered. 

I'll be changing it as soon as I play again as I completely agree, no fun in having an advantage you haven't worked on. It's just a shame I'm absolutely useless at tactics and I'll probably get the sack once I have to use another system!

15 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

I was unaware of the fact 3-striker systems are so overpowered. 

I'll be changing it as soon as I play again as I completely agree, no fun in having an advantage you haven't worked on. It's just a shame I'm absolutely useless at tactics and I'll probably get the sack once I have to use another system!

Don't do it

You didn't know about that so fair play to you.  Plus you are already playing as sunderland, that's enough suffering :lol:

15 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

I'll be changing it as soon as I play again as I completely agree, no fun in having an advantage you haven't worked on.

As a first step, you could try dropping one of your three strikers to the AMC position. With nothing else changing, it ought to play out much the same way but without the exploit. That 4312 was my favourite formation in FM17 and the only reason I haven't tried in FM18 is because I wanted a change.

You'd need to experiment with the roles but changing the DLF to SS or AMC-A should work. In FM17 I used a pair of B2Bs either side of a DLP, but you could try the new roles (CAR and MEZ) as well.

A similar formation that's worked well for me in FM18 is the 4132, where the DLP drops to the DM line, and one of your strikers becomes a CM-A or AP-A in the centre of midfield. Again, a pair of CARs helps to cover the wide spaces. Hope you find something that works as well (or nearly as well!)

11 minutes ago, roger_rs said:

Don't do it

You didn't know about that so fair play to you.  Plus you are already playing as sunderland, that's enough suffering :lol:

Hahaha whilst I agree managing Sunderland is mostly suffering, I just can't use exploitive tactics takes all the fun out of it 

3 minutes ago, warlock said:

As a first step, you could try dropping one of your three strikers to the AMC position. With nothing else changing, it ought to play out much the same way but without the exploit. That 4312 was my favourite formation in FM17 and the only reason I haven't tried in FM18 is because I wanted a change.

You'd need to experiment with the roles but changing the DLF to SS or AMC-A should work. In FM17 I used a pair of B2Bs either side of a DLP, but you could try the new roles (CAR and MEZ) as well.

A similar formation that's worked well for me in FM18 is the 4132, where the DLP drops to the DM line, and one of your strikers becomes a CM-A or AP-A in the centre of midfield. Again, a pair of CARs helps to cover the wide spaces. Hope you find something that works as well (or nearly as well!)

I'll have a look at those changes and report back. 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Sunlinlad said:

Hahaha whilst I agree managing Sunderland is mostly suffering, I just can't use exploitive tactics takes all the fun out of it 

Two striker formations are also overpowered, but not so much as 3 strikers. Using one is best if you want to edge the game.

Archived