For Mac users, re: specs for 2009

I had no issue with the match engine, at least for the few minutes I managed to see. My time with the demo has been curtailed by this bug. For the benefit of those playing on Mac, I've a MacBook Pro (17") on OSX 10.5.5 (Leopard), 1GB Ram, 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor and about 20GB space free. It seemed to run pretty smoothly, not sure it's something I'd use permanently as I didn't like how the match stats/player ratings were displayed, but it seemed to work well enough.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have leopard, but on a powerbook g4, does anybody know if this will be enough to run the game, currently trying to download the demo, but thats not even working so im not sure, thanks.

If it's not an Intel Mac, don't waste your time mate, you'll just end up with a grey screen upon loading the game.

i'm well annoyed i've been playing fm on this laptop since fm05 and on pc's going back to cm days.

i can see the need to upgrade, but i don't really care about the 3d match engine i just want to play fm09 with 2d.

i'm a bit miffed really at not being able to play it at all.

I installed the vanilla demo to my Applications folder as it wouldn't allow me to install it to my Sports Interactive folder for whatever reason (said I didn't have permission)...thats the only thing about my install that i would imagine is unique from others, and other than that it just booted up on the first try.

Are you on Leopard? That could be it...

Also I have yet to try the strawberry demo although I think i'll try that, originally i didn't because i thought there was no chance of the demo even working.

Well, I'm disappointed. I have a MacBook that is less than a year old, it has 2GB of ram, and yeah it only comes with the GMA 950 chipset with integrated graphics. But still, if you are going to make a Mac version of the game, hardware that is less that a year old shouldn't be unsupported.

Worse yet, I've tried playing in 3D mode twice, once in full-screen and then in windowed mode, and both times it just jacked my system and I had to power down and re-start.

Not good enough... that is how you have managed to make me feel; someone who has religiously purchased every new version of this game for the past few years, even when the improvements from version to version barely warranted the fee.

Not really that hopeful, but I hope this somehow gets sorted out... this isn't Spore or Call of Duty, this is FM, and even with a 3D engine, from what I've seen and read, shouldn't really require so much graphics power as to alienate fans with modern systems!

It runs fine and then I go to the tactics screen and do something as simple as trying to click of one of the "forward run" arrows and it won't let me. It just picks the player icon up and won't allow me to drop it....

Anyone else had this problem?

It runs fine and then I go to the tactics screen and do something as simple as trying to click of one of the "forward run" arrows and it won't let me. It just picks the player icon up and won't allow me to drop it....

Just had that as well. I think that might have something to do with the fact you can't use arrows this time.

I basically can't do anything on the tactics screen, it's as if my mouse isn't working correctly with this game. Last night i tried it out and i could arrange a friendly etc, this time when i try to click opposition it won't bring it up. I can't click properly! I think it's made my mouse act as if i'm holding down control ctrl and clicking... Another example, I can't make a sub!! This is ridiculous?!

okaayyy mine has finally downloaded and installed without a hitch, but when trying to run it i am given a green screen instead of the loadup, its strange because all the buttons are still there, but i cant see the screen. are we thinking there may be more of an issue with graphics cards than it being on a non-intel system?

GeForce FX Go5200- this is my graphics card, any help with what can be done would be greatly appreciated, cheers

You can place arrows either in player instructions, or, if you have a track pad, by holding ctrl and clicking the player then using the double tap function to drop the arrow. Not exactly eloquent, but works for me.

If you've got lower specs and the 3d engine causes the game/computer to crash, simply turn off the function in preferences.

Great, I've preordered and now they tell us it won't work on Power Mac's which are 90% off the Macs out there? What a joke

and none of people from SI to clarify that will they patch it up for PPC

and the funniest thing is that they put a universal mac compatible logo on the game

Well, I'm disappointed. I have a MacBook that is less than a year old, it has 2GB of ram, and yeah it only comes with the GMA 950 chipset with integrated graphics. But still, if you are going to make a Mac version of the game, hardware that is less that a year old shouldn't be unsupported.

Worse yet, I've tried playing in 3D mode twice, once in full-screen and then in windowed mode, and both times it just jacked my system and I had to power down and re-start.

Not good enough... that is how you have managed to make me feel; someone who has religiously purchased every new version of this game for the past few years, even when the improvements from version to version barely warranted the fee.

Not really that hopeful, but I hope this somehow gets sorted out... this isn't Spore or Call of Duty, this is FM, and even with a 3D engine, from what I've seen and read, shouldn't really require so much graphics power as to alienate fans with modern systems!

Couldn't agree more. I have been playing FM (and CM before it) for 10 years now. What fantastic thanks this is for my custom. I have a Mac that is less than two years old ffs, it isn't as if I am on a G3 or even G4.

I feel let down - big time.

Guest Vilosophe
and none of people from SI to clarify that will they patch it up for PPC

and the funniest thing is that they put a universal mac compatible logo on the game

We will appreciate a word by Si....

Just for posterity I have a couple of Macs.

My Macbook will not run the 3D match engine but the 2D is fine.

My Imac (old version) runs everything smoothly.

Looks like the GMA 950 graphics chipset is the problem for the Macbook.

The Radeon X1600 on the Imac is OK for 3D match graphics.

Really annoying that it will not work with the Macbook as it is not that old - its not that obselete. Apple have only just relaunched a new Macbook although it has been hailed as a "gaming" Mac.

So now you know!

Right!

Having said that the game works on my older Imac, which it does, the first time I right clicked on a player it will not turn off the right clicking.

What a joke! Not only will it not work on a £900 laptop but now its playing up on a desktop.

SI better pull their fingers out sharpish.

I really don't see why it wont work on a Macbook.

Generally speaking the new game is the same as FM2008 so the only reason why we should buy it is for the 3D match engine, and if a large proportion of the Mac population can't use it then they are going to lose a lot of revenue.

As we are all in a "credit crunch" there's no point shelling out £30 on an identical version of the old game let alone £900 for a new gaming laptop.

MARK YOURSELF WITH AN 'F' SPORTS INTERACTIVE FOR A VERY VERY VERY POOR EFFORT

Canceling the pre-order. Seriously can't be bothered with the amount of crap that needs fixing EVERY year. I appreciate the amount of work that goes into something like this, but if it ain't broke....

Will leave it til Christmas or something when someone at SI gets their finger out and fixes a game they have spent the last year making. I bought the last one and did nothing with it for over a month because it was basically unplayable.

Duncan, what OS are you on? I have a similar iMac and am on 10.4.11, no problem with the right-clicking but the 3d engine doesnt work properly on mine

Hi Karan

I am using Leopard 10.5.5

The 3D does look very good but like the last poster I am fed up with the amount of updating needed.

I really dont understand why a macbook that is only a couple of months old wont work while other less developed PC laptops run fine.

I wont be buying the new game unless there is a patch or something that allows the macbook to run the 3D match engine because thats the only thing that distinguishes it from FM 2008.

I'm running a Macbook

2GHZ Processor

10.5.5 Leopard

2 Gig Ram

250GB Hard Drive

GMA 950 64MB Graphics

It annoys me that this macbook wont work but the graphics in the new macbook will run the 3d engine.

Is it a Mac/SI conspiracy!

As much as I love FM (and I do. have bought every year since forever!) I dont really want to buy a new Macbook just to play a game.

Having said that my Macbook is 3/4 years old where I bought it immediately upon its release. Maybe its time to upgrade? But to pay £1000 for an upgrade that really only gives you a better graphics card is a bit steep!

Anyone gonna make me an offer for my Macbook, its got loads of extras!? Ha Ha!

Running the demo on a bog standard Core Duo Macbook - 1gb Ram

Runs fine, low detail 3d is ok with stadium background turned off

edit: exactly same as yours above Duncan but with less hard disk space and ram - very bizzare!!!!

Running the demo on a bog standard Core Duo Macbook - 1gb Ram

Runs fine, low detail 3d is ok with stadium background turned off

edit: exactly same as yours above Duncan but with less hard disk space and ram - very bizzare!!!!

Ant youre killing me!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I tried what you did (turning off the stadium, going down to low detail, turned off the sky ans player names also)

and when I clicked on the main stand 3d view it did briefly move the camera angle albeit keep the 2d players and then it froze the laptop so I had to manually turn it off.

To say Im frustrated is the understatement of the century.

3D match engine is jerky on my iMac and has some really weird stadium textures, but runs smooth as anything on my new Macbook. So if I stick with the 3D, looks like I'll have to use my Macbook.

Given the low-quality visuals, why does the game seem to rely so heavily on the graphics card as opposed to the CPU/RAM of your system?

It wont let me drop it either. This is bugging me like crazy!

It wont let me drop it either. This is bugging me like crazy!

I've managed to solve this problem on my mac.

I'm using the mouse pad tap for secondary click on my system, and I just tap the mouse pad when I want to let go of the player jersey in the tactics menu. I don't know if command+mouse click will do the same, but otherwise go to your preferences menu and set up the pad tap function.

Not the most fancy solution, but it works.

Archived