Blades of Glory?

viperk1

“Um, boss…can I talk to you for a sec?†asked the young striker to his manager. Julian Preston, the manager, had only been in the job since the end of June, when the team’s board finally decided to sack the useless manager of yesteryear - Graham Stiles. However, Sheffield United’s new boss, at an age of 56, wasn’t able to make as much of an impact as the board had expected, with only one win in four games. As a result, Julian began to delve into the reserves and the youth side – with Martin Djorkaeff and Richard Thomas both making the step up into the senior team. Both would make their debuts today.

“What’s up, Richard?†Julian said, beckoning for the English debutant to walk with him out of the dressing room. It was 19:25 – kick off was only in twenty minutes time. “I’m sure you’ll do fine – I’ve brought you into the first team to see how well you would perform at the top of this club,†he added, patting Richard on the back.

“I don’t think I’m ready, boss,†Richard said, obviously suffering from pre-match nerves. He hadn’t a star player in his 5 years in the youth side, so he was under the impression that he would struggle against Millwall at Bramall Lane. Sheffield United’s fans were expectant – their first four games only yielded 5 points, leaving them 11th in the table. Of course, they were only 5 points behind Wolves, the league leaders, so everything could change in a heartbeat.

“I think you’ll do better than you think, kid,†Julian admitted, believing in his mind that the youth team graduate could easily turn around Sheffield United’s ailing fortunes. “Come on, Rich – I think Martin’s waiting for you on the pitch,†he added, as the elderly manager and the youth player finally reached Bramall Lane’s pitch.

“What took you so long, Dickie?†Martin joked, patting the 21 year old on the back. Martin, at 24, had played several seasons of reserve team fixtures since he joined Sheffield United in 1999. This was his debut, just like Richard’s. Unlike the young striker, the Frenchman was a lot more relaxed about receiving his debut in of the Bramall Lane crowd.

“Leave me alone, Martin…I’ll make so many mistakes, I know it,†Richard conceded, before taking a lap around the pitch to warm up. ‘This is my big chance to shine…I can’t screw this up – For the past 5 years, I’ve made mistake after mistake during the youth team fixtures. How can Julian have so much faith in me?’ Richard thought, before the Millwall team finally made their appearance to a crowd of thirteen thousand people.

As the teams finally lined out for the expectant fans, Richard instantly looked directly at his manager. The elderly manager simply smiled, nodding his head - which only made the striker’s fears even worse. Finally, the call was made for kick-off, and the Sheffield United captain made his way to the centre of the pitch, preparing for the best possible outcome – that Sheffield United would begin the match. Eventually, the coin toss depicted that Millwall would begin the proceedings at Bramall Lane, much to Richard Deakin’s dismay – the 34 year old defender clearly wasn’t impressed by the bias that the referee was showing towards Millwall.

Eventually, the whistle blew, and Sheffield United’s 5th match of the Football League Division 1 2002/2003 finally begun. The first half was relatively uneventful, as the Sheffield United midfield weren’t really passing the ball that well to the forwards, resulting in several chances for Millwall’s striker, Terence Bracken, which really should’ve been chances for Richard Thomas to get on the score sheet.

This continued for much of the first match, causing a lot of frustration inside Richard’s head. ‘Can this midfield even play together? Have they even played together? So many good chances of gone to waste!’ he thought, still being prepared for any flukes of a volley that came from Millwall – they weren’t going to come his own team any time soon.

A few moments before half time, the Sheffield United midfield finally got their act together, much to the delight of the manager, and was able to make a fantastic pass to the strikers. Giving the debutant a chance to score, Alain Stefannson volleyed the ball to Richard, of which he amazingly attempted to perform a bicycle kick into the net. The strike went off without a hitch, but Mario Frediel, Millwall’s goalkeeper, performed a stunning save to deny the youngster his first ever goal for Sheffield United.

Immediately after the Sheffield United strike force performed the move of the half, the whistle blew for the interval. Richard could only stare in shock at the Millwall goalmouth as Alain pulled the youngster into a hug, with obvious glee in his face. “That had to be the best move I have ever seen in my career, Richard,†Alain admitted, giving Richard a reality check – was it him that had almost fired that ball into the back of the Millwall net, and was it only a fluke?

Julian offered similar words, being very impressed with Richard’s skill with the volley. “Few players have the flair and athleticism to perform a strike like that, Richard,†he said, “I’m sure I’ve made the right choice now. Reckon you could get on the score sheet?â€

Richard, looking slightly more confident than he had before the match, simply said, “I’ll do my best, sir – I won’t let you down.â€

Before kick off, Alain whispered to his strike partner, “Try and shoot at close range, Rich – but if you have a shot from far out – take it,†before placing the ball down at their feet to begin the second half. Richard would eventually have to thank Alain for that little piece of advice – especially if it resulted in the youngster getting a goal to his name.

Several minutes after the second half began, Richard showed off his amazing skills with the ball, lobbing the ball over Terence Bracken, before sending the Millwall midfield into disarray with plenty of fancy footwork. Instantly after sending the Sheffield United fans into hysterics with his skills, the youngster noticed a blaring gap in the Millwall defence.

‘Should I take this shot?’ Richard thought, before remembering the advice from his strike partner. With Alain being no where in sight, and with the defence of the opposition being wide open, Richard immediately sent the ball goal wards, with a furious left footed shot from the half way line. Amazingly, Mario Frediel, a veteran of 115 games, didn’t expect such a shot from so far out. In the end, the keeper attempted to stop the shot, but unlike the last time, the Millwall star’s attempts were all in vain, as he was unable to stop the shot as it whistled into the top right hand corner of the net.

Richard Thomas, the 21 year old from Sheffield, scored a debut goal. Alain’s half-time advice had worked – Sheffield United was 1-0 up, all thanks to him. The home supporters cheered with all their might. Despite it being his debut, Julian Preston felt that Richard would become a firm favourite with the fans.

Terence Bracken eventually chipped away at the Sheffield United defence, with Martin Djorkaeff and Richard Deakin being unable to do anything as the Millwall striker fired home from the 18 yard box. It was no where near as spectacular as Thomas’s goal, but the score was still 1-1.

That was all to change, though. As Djorkaeff sent an audacious volley to the strikers towards the end of the match, Stefannson was able to stop the ball dead before turning half-circle and giving Sheffield United the lead again with a cheeky tap in from 10 yards.

The third goal for Sheffield United followed ten minutes later, with the midfield confusing their Millwall counterparts left, right and centre. The midfield were revitalised, and were lobbing the ball to the other flank with almost every pass. Eventually, after Millwall’s central players knocked into each other, Sheffield United’s on form strikers were waiting for the ball to reach them. However, Thomas went one better than his first half effort. As the midfield volleyed the ball into the box, the youngster attempted another bicycle kick, with the ball slamming into the net.

As the final whistle went, The Blades supporters broke ranks, running onto the pitch to congratulate their new star player – Richard Thomas. As Richard looked over the fans carrying him off the pitch, he noticed his manager with a distinct smile on his face – one that no Sheffield United player had seen before – a smile of utter joy.

Final Score (Tuesday 27th August 2002)

Football League Division 1

Sheffield United 3 (Thomas (52, 87), Stefannson (77))

Millwall 1 (Bracken (65))

By the way, a few comments would be fully appreciated - if you think it could be improved in any way, please say so!

By the time the January transfer window began, Sheffield United had gone from mid-table to the fringes of the automatic promotion places into the Premiership, with their star player Richard Thomas scoring 11 of their 37 goals, with the other goals going to Dean Fortune, Alain Stefannson, Martin Djorkaeff, Richard Deakin and Declan O’Shea, a aging striker they had on loan from Manchester United.

Towards the end of the transfer window, Julian Preston received over 5 calls a day about purchasing Richard Thomas. His value had sky-rocketed in the football world, with him being worth at least £5,000,000. His style of play was one with flair and tenacity, which attracted attention from Premiership clubs, including The Blades’ main rival – Leeds United.

However, Julian turned down all of the offers sent to him, including a £10,000,000 offer from Manchester United. He had a feeling that Richard would be able to help turn Sheffield United into a winning Premiership force, and could possibly fight their way to the automatic promotion places this season. Of course, Julian did ask Richard for his opinion on the matter, on the eve of their League Cup Semi Final First Leg match against Premiership side Liverpool, on Tuesday 7th January 2002:

“Richard, can I see you in my office for a few minutes?†Julian had asked his star player during training at Bramall Lane. Richard had grown in confidence over the period that he had been playing for the senior team, and the same person that was so nervous before a game against Division 1 minnows Millwall was now more confident than anyone had ever seen him.

“Not a problem, sir,†Richard replied, still being respectful to his manager. ‘I wonder what he could want,’ he thought, ‘maybe he’s giving me a rest for the game tomorrow, just like always. He always seems to leave me out of the squad for the cup games. I don’t mind that, but it’s important that he tells me.’

Julian looked a tad nervous about the information he was about to reveal to his star player. He had every right to – teams just like Liverpool were offering over £6,000,000 for Richard’s signature to be signed on a new multi-million pound contract. Richard noticed this as he made his way to the edge of the pitch, and asked, “Is something wrong, sir?â€

“As usual, you’ll be on the bench for the cup game tomorrow. But there is a more urgent matter I must discuss with you – as you may or may not be aware, there are some teams that would like to see you in their shirts rather than ours. In the months since that stylish victory against Millwall, Premiership teams have contacted me concerning a buyout of your contract,†Julian admitted, to which Richard instantly figured out why he was here.

“I won’t leave Bramall Lane, sir,†Richard stated, to which his manager simply shook his head. Julian simply replied, “You’re just saying that to make me feel better – you’re one of the best players that The Blades have ever seen, and it’s only natural for you to take your place alongside the football elite.â€

“Wrong, sir. Since I first watched Sheffield United’s games ten years ago, it has always been my ambition to play for this club. I am not about to leave that ambition behind now that I’ve made it. Besides, with the rate that we’re going, we could easily be playing Premiership football next season,†Richard declared, “Sheffield United is my home. I will stay here to the end.â€

That explains why Julian turned down all those offers, it seems.

The next day, Sheffield United brought the youngster onto the pitch twenty minutes before the end of a 1-0 stalemate against their Premiership opponents. Neither side were making much impact, but in the 76th minute, a typical Thomas goal sent Bramall Lane into overdrive. Sheffield United had equalised against a Premiership team, Liverpool, consisting of international stars!

When injury time finally began, all 30,095 supporters were hanging on the edges of their seats – the game was a few minutes away from being a stalemate. However, merely seconds before the whistle for full-time blew; The Blades’ loan signing Declan O’Shea received a classic Thomas volley, before pounding the ball into the back of the Liverpool net.

They had done it – Sheffield United had beaten Liverpool, and were 90 minutes away from reaching a cup final in 67 years!

Final Score (Wednesday 8th January 2003)

League Cup Semi Final – First Leg

Sheffield United 2 (Thomas (76), O’Shea (90+3))

Liverpool 1 (Engels (34))

Sadly, the dream of silverware shattered for the Blades. The return leg of the semi-final was unsuccessful, with a 2-0 defeat after extra time sending The Blades home with no realistic chance of silverware. A real shame, as Sheffield United had shown the overpaid suckers at Liverpool how to play football at Bramall Lane.

As the 2002/2003 season progressed, Sheffield United held on to third place, giving them a possible shot at going to the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff. A few victories would be all they’d need to give Julian Preston his wish of playing Premiership football. The draw for the Playoff semi-finals pitted Sheffield United against Nottingham Forest, a team that had beaten them 3-0 at The City Ground.

Thankfully, when The Blades returned to Nottingham’s happy hunting ground, they grinded their way to a 1-1 draw, with O’Shea scoring for Sheffield United. Julian Preston decided to leave his star player out of the squad for the away leg, but knew that he really should’ve put him in the squad for the game, as the score could’ve been totally different.

However, Julian knew that Bramall Lane was a happy hunting ground for Richard, scoring almost every single goal in his career there. The only goals not scored there were a hat-trick of goals at the Bradford and Bingley Stadium, where the score line ended at 5-0 to The Blades. So really, Julian had nothing to worry about.

The match was a struggle between two very strong sides, despite a hat-trick of goals being scored by Richard Thomas in the first half. Everybody could feel the tension at Bramall Lane – the entire stadium was packed, so it was clear that both team’s supporters were desperate to see the climax of this playoff. At half time, The Blades were 3-0 up, but Nottingham weren’t going to run away like scalded cats – not like Bradford did many months prior to this match.

The second half saw Nottingham fight back, scoring 3 goals in succession in the first 10 minutes. The only reason why they weren’t scoring in every single minute was because of January signing, Matt Leach. The English goalkeeper pulled off save after save, which would’ve probably earned the Man of the Match award if it weren’t for their striker’s efforts at the other end of the pitch.

Eventually, the match finished 3-3, resulting in extra time being played. The tension at Bramall Lane was reaching a breaking point. Nobody dared to leave their seats – even both sides remained on the pitch, and had no intention of going back to their comfy dressing rooms.

“Ok guys…it looks like we only need one more goal,†Declan stated, with the entire Sheffield United team being huddled up – Julian was getting too old for these situations, so he decided to leave the tactics to his captain, who they signed on a permanent deal during the January transfer window. Amazingly, Richard Thomas, despite his stunning abilities, wasn’t to be handed the captains armband.

“I think we can all tell that, Dec. Martin, could you lead the defence so that Nottingham can’t score again?†Richard coyly replied, looking over to the Frenchman. There were times and places for youth to take priority over experience – this was one of those times.

“Not a problem. If one goal is all we need, I’ll make sure that they can’t get one at our end of the pitch,†Martin answered, giving Richard and Declan the thumbs up, despite the fact that he could feel sweat running down his shirt like a waterfall. In fact, everyone was tired – Julian had made no substitutions to give some of the players a well earned break.

As extra time began, both sides looked incapable of passing a ball to each other – it proved that neither manager had made a substitution. It appeared to Richard that Julian was waiting for the time to put on a fresh pair of legs – which would be just before the end of extra time. “Declan, Julian’s expecting a penalty shootout, I think,†he said to the captain, who simply nodded.

“I wouldn’t be surprised. Though we need to finish this now – Sheffield United haven’t exactly shone out in penalty shootouts of recent years,†Declan replied, before noticing the ball go out of play. “Hold on to that thought though, Rich…that seems to be the substitution board,†he said, causing Richard to look at the Sheffield United dugout.

On the substitution board, Richard noticed the number 14 in green – that was Alain Stefannson’s number. In red, he spotted number 3 – his number. It seemed to be that he was going to have the break that he fully deserved. He had scored all 3 of Sheffield United’s goal, after all. As he made his way over, he simply looked over at Declan and mouthed, “Give them hell.â€

Upon the completion of the substitution, Richard immediately made his way to the dugout, but was halted by his manager. “If you want to go home now, I don’t blame you,†Julian Preston conceded, “I’m not going to be able to put you back on the pitch for a penalty shootout, so I reckon you should just go home, and be ready for training tomorrow.â€

Richard, realising that Julian was probably right, nodded, taking a look back onto the pitch. They were going to be just fine under Declan O’Shea, so he simply walked back through the tunnel, ready to meet his new girlfriend on the way out.

“So, how was it?†she asked as she finally spotted Richard walking into the reception area. “It was fine – another hat-trick...†Richard replied, “Anyway, my boss has told me I can go early, so come on then, Miss. Katie May, it’s time we went back to my place.â€

Back at the dugout, Julian looked cautiously at the current state of play. The second half of extra time had begun, and the score was still 3 – 3, a testimony of Richard’s superb play. ‘Hopefully he’ll be ready for training tomorrow,’ Julian thought, just as he spotted Declan making his way towards the box. “Come on, Declan! Score!†he screamed, not realising that he had just been fouled and was making his way to the penalty spot.

The silence behind the Nottingham Forest goal told Julian exactly what he needed to know – Declan had scored, and Sheffield United were going to Cardiff if they could hold on for ten more minutes. “Keep calm lads! We’ve still got ten minutes to go!†he screamed, as the 11 players all were taking absolutely no notice of what they were doing, almost in a drunken manner.

Thankfully, they all heard Julian’s request, and took their places in the 4-4-2 formation for the remainder of the extra time.

Ten minutes later, the Nottingham Forest team had made no impact on the other half of the pitch, and when the referee finally blew the whistle, Bramall Lane almost exploded as the Sheffield United fans all amassed onto the pitch – they were going to the Millennium Stadium.

The next day, all of the players emerged back at Bramall Lane for the aftermath talks. However, Julian noticed a distinct lack of someone at the training pitches. Richard Thomas. “Hey, Declan, have you seen Richard today?†he asked the captain of their victory the previous night.

“I’m afraid not, boss,†Declan replied, causing worry throughout the players. Had something happened to their star player?

And now, for something completely different. ^_^

Writers Notes

Thanks a lot, coolmoose!

Anyway, just a note as to the leagues - no alterations have been made to them:

English (All), Spanish, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Northern Irish, German, Portugese, French and Italian (all top div only).

All players are regens, so there are no Rooney's or Shevchenko's here ^_^.

‘How long has it been?’ Richard thought, struggling to comprehend what time the world was working to at the moment. Just a few moments prior to this, he had awoken from a mild comatose state. Of course, he was unaware of this, simply believing he was awakening from a long sleep.

However, as his mind finally caught up with his body, Richard felt an excruciating pain in both of his legs, just as if somebody had ripped them clean off of his body. Taking a look around his new surroundings, he picked out several things that were extremely unusual to him. For one, one of his legs was in a cast, which would define that tit was broken. Secondly, he noticed that his right leg, which he had expected to have been alongside his left one, was missing – As if it had been amputated. Finally, there were plenty of men and women in white coats walking around. Had he been involved in some kind of incident a few days ago?

As a woman made her way towards another white bed, Richard simply called out, “Excuse me…†before lying back down on the bed. The woman, hearing this, turned around in shock. It was plainly obvious that she had not expected anyone to wake up – not here, anyway. However, since Richard had no clue whatsoever as to where he was, and what had happened to him, he was unaware as to the woman’s shock.

“Dr. Howard! He’s awake!†the woman called out, attracting the attention of the elderly gentleman who was taking an unusual interest in a couple of papers that were on the end of the different bed. ‘What happened to me? I need to know!’ Richard thought, ‘I must be in hospital…but what happened to me?!?!?!’

Dr. Howard, taking a look over at Richard, clapped his hands together in delight. “Thank goodness!†he cried, before quickly pacing over to the bed. “How are you feeling? Tired? Dizzy?†Dr. Howard asked, taking a close gaze at the patient. Obviously, Richard was totally unaware of why this doctor was taking such an interest in him.

“Excuse me; Doctor…Howard, is it? Could you tell me what’s going on here?†Richard asked, before stifling a scream as he attempted to move his sole remaining leg. “What happened to me?†he added, pointing at the amputated leg.

Dr. Howard, being a senior doctor (or so it seemed), gave Richard the answers that he wanted – “Well son, you were involved in a car crash a few months ago – it caused so much damage to your right leg, so there was little option but to amputate it. Since then…you’ve been in a coma. You showed signs to returning to us a few days ago, but nobody expected you to come out of a comatose state lasting for 5 months!â€

Richard stared at the Doctor in awe. “It’s amazing that you’re showing no signs of any problems concerning your mental and neurological health, too. Almost a 1 in a million case,†he continued, before being cut off being an annoyed Richard – “So? What month is it?†he asked, “And what happened to my girlfriend…Katie…â€

“Well…an ambulance only reached the crash the next day, what with that…stupid…strike that the drivers had. By the time they got there, you were already unconscious, and the passenger…Katie…was already dead,†Dr. Howard answered, causing Richard to stare at the ceiling – his girlfriend was dead…he had planned to propose...now it was all over…

“Anyway, it’s October,†the Doctor finished, “your leg should heal within another 4 months – but you’ll never play again.â€

“Julian…long time since I heard from you,†Richard said, attempting to sit down at a table in Café Euro, a Sheffield café that appeared to be in close proximity to Bramall Lane – John Street was literally next door to the Sheffield United ground.

It seemed only yesterday to Richard that he had scored a hat-trick against Nottingham Forest to force the game to extra time. Though that was 3 years ago now – 3 long years that Richard had not played football. Since his awakening, he had paid out a healthy sum of money to get an artificial limb to replace the amputated one. Not that he needed it, but it made sure he stayed out of a wheelchair.

“Likewise, Richard. Anyway, it’s great to see you again. The Blades fans had missed you so much – but things have changed since then,†Julian Preston, Richard’s former boss, stated, before giving the former striker a detailed report, in speech, about the last few years in the history of Sheffield United. Not that Richard needed it, as he had been to every single match in the previous season – the season where The Blades finally made it to the big league.

“You really didn’t need to give me all the details, Julian,†Richard sighed, almost an hour since Julian began his report. “Anyway, what’s the meeting for? Surely since you’ve done so well with Sheffield United, you don’t need my help…†he continued, a frown appearing on his face.

The last three years of Richard’s life had changed him beyond recognition. Since he awoke from the comatose state that kept him hospitalised for 5 months, the playful and happy striker had become a dark, moody and disdainful man, all because his beloved Katie May had died in the car accident. The man behind the accident was eventually caught. However, unlike most people, who would leave things to the prosecution services of the country, Richard became a one-time prosecutor for the country, to put the man who killed his wife-to-be behind bars for his actions during the summer of 2004. Also unlike most people, he succeeded.

That is what many people believed to be the cause of Richard’s newfound moodiness. Having learnt tricks of the trade from the top prosecutors in England, the former Sheffield United striker had become heartless, not caring much for the rest of the world. The only person he loved and cared about the most was dead, and his friends were still players and the manager of the club he missed the most. Sheffield United.

However, as his mind finally caught up with his body, Richard felt an excruciating pain in both of his legs, just as if somebody had ripped them clean off of his body. Taking a look around his new surroundings, he picked out several things that were extremely unusual to him. For one, one of his legs was in a cast, which would define that it was broken. Secondly, he noticed that his right leg, which he had expected to have been alongside his left one, was missing – As if it had been amputated. Finally, there were plenty of men and women in white coats walking around. Had he been involved in some kind of incident a few days ago?

How typical of me...

By the way...I could do with some feedback - I'm not totally sure as to whether or not this'll be a success.

“Well, Richard, I was hoping that you’d be willing to accept an offer from me,†Julian whispered, causing a curious look from Richard. It was unusual for Julian to ever have offers on the table for non-players…unless he was offering for him to return to Sheffield United as a coach?

“What offer is this then, Julian?†Richard asked, looking at his watch – 12:14. It made no difference any more as to what the time was, as no-one wanted him in their establishment. Not after 13/5.

“Better than that, Richard, my boy,†Julian chuckled, causing no response from Richard. “I am ready to retire from the game altogether, Richard…I am too old to continue to lead Sheffield United,†he continued, finally causing a curious response from the former player, “so I would like you to take over from where I have left off – and get The Blades to play European football.â€

“Seriously?†Richard asked, “What do the board think of your proposal?â€

Julian smiled, before staring Richard straight in the eye. Eventually, after a few seconds of thought, he answered, “The board have reluctantly agreed to my request of signing you on as the manager of Sheffield United.â€

“In other words, they think I’m unfit to manage the side because of that incident 3 years ago?†Richard exclaimed, resulting in a shocked response from Julian. “I didn’t say that…†he stammered, before being cut off once again by Richard – “It’s pretty clear, Julian, if you think about it,†he stated, giving his former boss an icy glare. He wasn’t about to be played for a fool by anyone – least of all by Julian Preston.

“Either way, I accept. I wouldn’t say no to this, no matter what your motive is,†Richard sighed, obviously feeling that Julian’s motive for handing over the management job was much more than what he was saying. Nobody ever leaves a club that they’ve worked so hard to build up, especially after making it to the Premiership.

“Thank you, Richard. You’ll do the club proud, I’m sure!†Julian cheered with glee, before stopping his little dance. It was clear that the new manager have given another icy glare to the former one. “All you need to do is to go and sort out the contract with the boys upstairs,†Julian finished, before standing up to leave the café. Richard simply let him leave – Julian wasn’t much use to the club now.

Returning to Bramall Lane was a daunting prospect for Richard, despite the fact that he loved the club. Despite his cold attitude to the rest of the world, Richard wanted to do Sheffield United proud. However, with the recent spout of manager sackings due to poor performances in the previous season, he didn’t know what to expect from the man upstairs if the results didn’t go their way.

“Hello…Richard! Long time, no see!†was the reaction he received from the receptionist. Alison Trent – back in his playing days, she was simply a teenage Blades supporter who had a crush on the star striker. Richard didn’t even blink, as he simply said, “I’m here to see Mr. Butterworth,†before turning his back on her.

Alison took one look at Richard, before saying, “You’ve changed, Rich…what happened to you?†before stepping out of the receptionist desk. Immediately, Richard felt Alison’s body against his – something that he didn’t want. “Let go,†he said, barely changing his tone of voice. It was pretty clear that he had no intention of falling in love, ever again.

Of course, being as loyal as she could, Alison let go, before returning to the receptionist desk, her normal place of work. It hurt her so much that he was so dismissive, but she had a feeling it was due to the incident. Almost everybody at Bramall Lane had heard about it, and the fact that Richard had prosecuted the man behind it all.

“Richard?†a male voice called out, causing a sideways glance by the 25-year old. Despite having not made the call up to the top, Alison knew exactly who it was – Daniel Butterworth, the chairman of Sheffield United.

“I’m here to discuss a contract, sir,†Richard stated, still being polite – despite his icy demeanour. The chairman simply nodded, beckoning Richard to follow him up to the board room. Before this, however, he called out, “Alison! Take the day off…you’ve earned it,†to which Richard heard a scream of joy. Obviously she was taking up that offer.

“I saw everything there, Richard,†Daniel stated. Richard gave no response, obviously aware of what the chairman was nattering on about. As they walked up to the board room, Daniel continued to pursue this line of enquiry, curious as to why Richard wasn’t interested in love anymore.

Almost a few yards from the board room, Richard halted the chairman’s words. “Enough. I came here to sign a contract – not to talk about my lack of a love life,†he exclaimed, his tone of voice remaining unchanged. Of course, like most times, the typical icy glare followed, giving the chairman a shiver up his spine.

“Yes…of course…this way,†Daniel stuttered, unsure whether or not Richard would ever lose this icy attitude. If he did, it was all good news for Sheffield United…if not, well…Daniel simply felt that on-pitch performances may suffer.

Inside the board room, Richard met a new face at Bramall Lane – Danny Lee, the managing director of the board. “This must be Richard Thomas, right?†Danny exclaimed, raising a hand. Richard, deciding it was probably best to on the right side of the board, shook the hand, before sitting down at the side of Daniel Butterworth.

“Now…to the contract,†Richard stated, waiting for a piece of paper with the Sheffield United watermark to appear at his side of the table. “Indeed, Mr. Thomas,†Daniel hesitantly said, handing him the contract that Danny and he had set out:

Richard Thomas

Manager

Length of contract: 1 year

Wages: £3,000 a week.

Transfer budget: £1 million

Wage budget: £200,000 + £750 youth grant.

Signature (Manager) : _____________________

Signature (Chairman): D. Butterworth

“This is pathetic. You expect to me to be able to lead Sheffield United to glory with such a contract? I don’t think so,†Richard exclaimed, slamming his hands down on the table. As usual, however, he tone of voice remained unchanged. “Most of the players here probably earn double of what you’re offering me,†he continued, “and surely the bank balance isn’t that bad? £1 million transfer budget?â€

Both the chairman and the managing director looked at each in awe. “You certainly know what you want, then?†Danny piped up, before quickly coming up with new terms, “Since we can’t get Julian to come back…here are the new terms…for the contract – You’ll receive £14,000 a week, have £3.5 million to spend on transfers, and a wage budget of roughly £230,000.â€

“You seem to want to get this out of the way quickly, don’t you, Mr. Lee?†Richard questioned, staring the managing director in the eye. “Either way, those terms seem satisfactory to me,†he continued, before a rare smile appeared on his face.

“Very well…we’ll get that printed off and then you can sign the contract,†the chairman stuttered, before leaving the room. Danny Lee followed suit, unwilling to be in the same room with the new manager. “Typical…†Richard sighed, before staring out onto the Bramall Lane ground. The pitch had been improved since he last played there, and it appeared that there was building work taking place on The Kop Stand.

He also noticed that the players that he would be meeting some time soon were training – eventually, he spotted an old face in amongst players he knew nothing about: Martin Djorkaeff - The man who made his debut alongside him those years ago.

A few minutes later, the two members of the board returned with the new contract, waiting with baited breath as to whether or not Richard would sign the new contract:

Richard Thomas

Manager

Length of contract: 1 year

Wages: £14,000 a week.

Transfer budget: £3.5 million

Wage budget: £226,940 + £750 youth grant.

Signature (Manager) : R. Thomas

Signature (Chairman): D. Butterworth

Of course, being a devout supporter of The Blades in his early days as a boy, signed the contract, curious as to what would happen now. “What next, then?†Richard asked, before being pointed out of the door. “We’ll be setting up a press conference for 8.30 tonight, Richard, so we hope you’ll be there,†Danny stated, opening the board room door for the new manager.

A few hours later, and a couple of cups of coffee from Café Euro better off, Richard returned to Bramall Lane, preparing for any kind of question that would be placed before him. He wasn’t used to being interviewed by the national media, so he was slightly nervous. Of course, he wasn’t going to let the media know that.

“Welcome all, to this press conference,†the chairman started, “since the sad news that Julian Preston has stepped down from the role of Sheffield United manager, we have been searching for the person that will take over and keep this glorious club in the Premiership. I am happy to say that we have now found him. I am pleased to announce that the new manager of Sheffield United is Richard Thomas.â€

The announcement was met with murmurs, rather than applause, as Richard took his seat in between the members of the board. Richard had a feeling that this was coming – the press were going to wonder if he wasn’t capable of a managerial job so soon after coming out of a coma. There had been no adverse effects from the coma, unusually, but they didn’t know that.

“I’m willing to take questions from the press,†Richard stated, never moving his eyes away from the crowd in front of him. A smile didn’t appear, either, causing some of the press to become rather scared. They had never come across a person with such an unfazed look upon his face.

However, many people put up their hand, much to the chairman’s surprise. However, Richard wasn’t worried about it, “If you are going to ask if I am incapable of managing Sheffield United because of 13/5, please put your hand down,†he requested, to which all but one person lowered their hand. Everyone knew exactly what Richard meant, too - 13/5 was the name given to that incident by the media. “Go on then,†he said to the remaining person.

“James Enem, The Guardian. What changes do you plan on making to ensure that the team survives the relegation battle?†he asked, unfazed by the fact that he was the only person to be asking a meaningful question.

“There are a few players that I may be looking at in the future, if changes are to be made,†Richard answered, his eyes unmoving. “If there are no changes, then I’m sure the team will survive regardless,†he finished, before asking, “Any more questions?â€

Obviously, not a single person raised their hand, too afraid that Richard would lose his temper with them. Of course, he wasn’t – he never lost his temper, even before the incident.

“If that’s all, I would like to conclude this conference over,†Daniel conceded. He had hoped for the conference to go on for longer – to see how Richard would cope with continuous pressure to answer questions. Though he knew that match-days would bring that prospect – and Daniel knew that Richard would succeed.

The next day, Sunday 2nd July, Richard knew that he was ready to meet the players that could see him plying his trade in the Championship again – either that, or a squad that may actually be able to see Sheffield United staying in the Premiership for many seasons to come.

It seemed strange when he walked through the tunnel at Bramall Lane - the last time he had done this, he was a mere player, listening to thirty-thousand screaming fans as he prepared for yet another game. Instead, he received applause from the people on the pitch – obviously, they were glad that Richard Thomas had returned.

“Stop that,†Richard exclaimed as he walked in front of his players, “I am here to change your fortunes, not to receive plaudits for simply turning up. The media think that you aren’t going to last one season in the Premiership,†his icy tone of voice remaining as the Sheffield United squad instantly hushed up.

“Now...are we missing anybody?†Richard questioned, looking for anyone that wasn’t visible from yesterday. “Just one, sir…†replied the only man wearing a goalkeeper’s shirt. As Richard turned to face him, he instantly recognised the man – Matt Leach. “Who?†the manager asked, before hearing a faint cry from the tunnel - the latecomer had finally made himself known.

“Sorry I’m late…had a busy night last…†the player sighed, puffing and panting as he made his way to the line. “Why are you late, Martin?†Richard questioned, knowing exactly who the laggard was – Martin Djorkaeff.

“You know what, never mind…†Richard sighed, placing his head in his hands. It appeared to him that Martin had become lacklustre in the years he had spent with Julian Preston as manager. The old geezer had probably not bothered even trying to curb the Frenchman’s unruly antics.

Eventually, after looking at the entire squad, face to face, Richard stared over at the person who he believed was his assistant manager. The man appeared to be lumbering over a couple of papers, and was writing furiously. Obviously, he was totally unaware of Richard’s presence. “Um…Ian…†one of the players called out, before the assistant, obviously named Ian, looked up, being almost blown over afterwards by an icy stare from the new manager.

“Are you the new manager?†he asked, shaking slightly. It seemed that Julian was a lot easier on the guy than Richard planned to be. No assistant of his was going to act like a total fool. “Stand straight,†Richard exclaimed, “I want a squad report now.â€

“Yes…yes sir,†Ian replied, handing him nearly 20 sheets of paper. “I’m Ian…Ian Jackson. I’m your assistant…†he continued, before realising Richard already knew this information. “Thank you,†Richard answered, perusing the sheets that he had been given.

“I’ll be back to watch training,†Richard stated, “Ian…get the coaches to work. If you need me for anything, I’ll be in my office,†to which Ian simply nodded, still frightened at the prospect of being Richard’s assistant.

Returning through the tunnel towards the reception, Richard eventually realised that he had no idea where his office actually was…and even if he had an office. At reception, Alison called him over; figuring out what Richard’s confused looks meant.

“Your office is on the top floor, Rich,†Alison stated, “It should be next door to the board room. You can see the pitch from there, I think,†to which Richard simply nodded, giving a small thank you. “Richard…can I ask you a favour please?†Alison continued, causing curiosity in the manager’s eyes.

“What do you want from me?†Richard questioned, staring at the receptionist with a clear lack of emotion.

“Well…I need some help…would you mind if I stayed with you at your house?†Alison asked, to which Richard instantly replied, “No,†before attempting to make his way to the stairs.

“Please…my ex won’t leave me alone…none of the players want to help me either,†she continued, starting to cry. “It’ll take a lot more than tears to change my mind…†Richard stated, before thinking the prospect over in his head.

‘She seems to be a little obnoxious, but I guess if she needs the help…’ he thought, recoiling at the show of emotion in his head. ‘What the hell?!?!?!? ... Ah well, I guess trying it out for a week wouldn’t hurt…’ he added to his thoughts, before walking back over to the desk.

“Yes, what now?†Alison asked, sobbing on the table. “Stop that,†Richard stated, causing her to wipe away her tears and look over to the manager.

“I guess the answer’s still no?†she asked, stepping out from behind her desk, “please…I have no where else to go…â€

“Typical…you think because I said no earlier means I say no now?†Richard coldly whispered, “I’ll allow you a week. If you behave, Alison, and stay out of sight whilst you are in my accommodation, I guess I’ll be willing to discuss permanent measures…â€

Obviously pleased by the situation, Alison flung herself at Richard, embracing him once again. “Let go, Alison,†he said, “I don’t think I need to tell you again, do I?â€

“No sir…†Alison replied, before returning to her desk. “As I said, your office is on the top floor...†she sullenly added, before falling asleep, her head falling onto the table that her work lay, still undone.

Ignoring this fact, Richard made his way up the stairs, preparing to see whether or not Alison was just annoying him for the sake of it. However, he noticed an unusual plaque on the door next to the board room:

‘Richard Thomas

Manager’

He had to give Alison her dues…it seemed that she knew Bramall Lane like the back of her hand – better than he did, and he had played here for several years. At the side of the door, he noticed a desk, not too dissimilar to that of Alison’s desk at reception. ‘Could be of some use in future, I guess…’ he thought. Ignoring the desk, he immediately walked in, placing the papers on the table he noticed upon entry.

The room seemed to be suited exactly to him – it was almost empty, save for a couple of filing cabinets and the desk. Richard wasn’t a messy person, and he was most likely to use those filing cabinets a lot during the season. He had no intention of changing anything in the office – he could see the pitch from here, just like Alison said.

“Now…to business…†he said to himself, taking a close look at the sheets that Ian Jackson had given him. Deciding that the number of pages was extortionate, he took a piece of paper from a huge pile that just so happened to be there. His intention was to write down anything worthy of note on the players, along with his thoughts.

Matt Leach (GK) - He has been with Sheffield United since January 2003. He is our only goalkeeper, so it seems likely that I could do with using that transfer budget on a new goalkeeper. For now, however, he’s good enough to stay on. At 23, he could easily remain in the squad for several years.

Martin Djorkaeff (D RL) – Too much of a joker to warrant keeping him in the squad, though he has been with Sheffield United for 7 years…he also appears to be one of our best defenders. However, he could do with being sent elsewhere for a little so his attitude changes…

Darren McCann (D R) – A capable full back, but it is clear that he won’t be making the starting 11 unless something bad happens. At 23, he still has time to improve – at the moment; he’s a good back-up player

Romaine Murray (D RC) – Not exactly what I expected from Sheffield United. A Jamaican 31 year old, but does have a lot of skill. Could be some use in future.

Garry Clarke (D RC, DM) – One of the weaker defenders, but also doubles as a defensive midfielder…depending on my tactics, he could have some or no use to the team. Still has time to improve his game at 23.

Danny Bartlett (D L, M C) – A teenager with plenty of skill on and off the ball, and could help solve an injury crisis in the midfield if needed. Could make it into the starting 11 if he improves a little…

Jon Atkinson (D C) – The youngest player in the squad, but the brightest star. He’s capable of being in the starting 11, but would he be able to handle the pressure in the Premier League?

Richard Deakin (D C) – Has plans to retire at the end of the season. The worst of the defensive line-up, so putting him in the reserves team until he retires seems to be the best option.

Abdoulaye Faye (D C) – A Senegalese defender…another player I had not expected to be at an English club.

John Haywood (D C) – A strong willed defender who seems to take himself and the club seriously. Could be a useful player, or could just be a backup. Depends on how things work out.

Andy Livesey (D C) – At 34, his football career won’t be lasting much longer. However, he seems to have a lot of influence on the other players, so he could be a very useful player.

Bryan Robinson (D C) – How many defenders does this club need? Whether Bryan is helpful or not for the clubs fortunes is yet to be seen.

Ali Younes (D/WB R, AM RC) – A practical Egyptian player. Has been the captain for Sheffield United under Julian, and his versatility will help.

Oneil Hyde (D/AM L) – Another Jamaican…one of them has to go, and Oneil doesn’t appear to be the best of the two...

Dean Fortune (AM C) – A very good player, according to Ian…most likely will be in the starting 11 for most games this season. I don’t remember him ever being in the first team when I played, but it seems he’s been with the club since 1997…

Andrew Lennon (ST) – An old striker, who lacks the pace I want for the club.

Miroslav Ruzicka (ST) – A new signing from Sunderland. Could easily be the best striker at the club, and at 22, has plenty of years to improve.

Declan O’Shea (ST) – Not the same Declan that I remember, but he’s the best striker at Sheffield United at the moment. He’s 21, so has plenty of time to become a world beating striker.

After looking through his self-made notes, it was crystal clear to him that he couldn’t write notes to save his life. ‘Looks like I could do with a secretary or something like that…these notes of mine are pretty poor. Though of course, I am a footballer, not a writer…’ he thought to himself, a small trickle of arrogance showing up within.

Taking a second sheet of paper, he scrabbled down a few more notes – except these notes were on the qualities that his secretary should have. Unlike the player notes he made, these notes were relatively good. After finishing off the notes, he took hold of the new phone Sheffield United had installed into the office days after being promoted. Richard didn’t know this, but would he honestly care?

Unusually, the local paper, Sheffield Today, had given him their company number. ‘I guess they’ll want first dibs on all Sheffield United stories…’ he thought, before picking up the phone and tapping in the number. “Richard Thomas speaking…Yes, I’m fine…I’d like you to put an advert into the paper for tomorrow’s edition…†he said over the phone, before discussing the all-important details…

Guest Addis

I can't wait for the next "episode". It's keeping me hooked while I try to heal my broken football manager.

The next day, Richard was back on the pitch, taking a close look at every player for some time as they lined out once more, before finally whispering in his assistant’s ear, “I want you to send the following players up to my office before training begins…†before leaving for that hallowed place in the heavens of Bramall Lane. Ian simply nodded, still scared from yesterday’s first encounter with the new manager.

Without a secretary, things could get problematic if all the players turned up at once. However, Richard had a feeling that if they did, he’d be able to get back onto the training pitch much quicker, instead of having to explain the different reasons as to why these players were being called.

The first player to enter was Martin Djorkaeff. The Frenchman’s jokey attitude still remained as he entered Richard’s office. “What’s up, Dickie? You want to see me?†he chuckled, before noticing that the manager was still a little hacked off with his lateness yesterday. Instantly, his jokey attitude seemed to become one of nervousness.

“Martin. I see you realise why I have called you up here,†Richard started, “I have the intention of placing you up for loan, so you can lose the attitude that my predecessor allowed you to keep for the last few years.â€

“But sir…I’m your best player!†Martin retaliated, desperate to stay at Bramall Lane for this season.

“So? According to Ian, you were late to training for half of the last season,†Richard replied, picking up his assistant’s report on the Frenchman. “Be realistic, Martin. If you’re late to training, it proves you don’t give a damn about the club, and care more for your playboy lifestyle,†he continued, to which Martin simply admitted this by nodding twice.

“You’ll be available for loan for all clubs. But you’re right – you are the best defender we have. You’ll be part of the setup at Bramall Lane when you return,†Richard finished, before dismissing Martin back to the training pitch.

“I ain’t leaving,†Martin started, not wanting to rubber stamp the fate that Richard was handing him. “This club has been my life for 7 goddamn years, Richard, and I won’t let you take it away from me!†he continued, before slamming his hands down on the Richard’s desk.

Richard appeared unfazed by this show of passion from his former friend. “Look, Martin,†Richard began, his eyes closed, before delivering a final warning, his tone of voice remaining unchanged: “showing passion for this club now will do you no favours. My word is the law here, so I want you to get out of this office now, before I terminate your contract with the club!â€

Martin stepped away from Richard’s desk, fear seeping its way into his eyes. Richard had done in 1 day what Julian never dared to do in his 4 years as manager – attempt to terminate a player’s contract. “I understand, sir…†Martin admitted fearfully, before clambering his way to the door. Realising that someone was likely to be following in after he left; the Frenchman pulled himself together, exclaiming, “Thank you, Mr. Thomas, sir!†before opening the door and sauntering out. ‘The quicker he leaves on loan, the happier I’ll be,’ Richard thought, letting out a breath of relief that he had gotten that situation out of the way first.

As Richard stared out at the pitch, he noticed that the training session had begun with fitness, which was Eddie King’s primary session – he was the fitness coach after all. Three players were missing from the session – Abdoulaye Faye, Oneil Hyde and Andrew Lennon. However, Richard knew exactly why they weren’t taking part – they were on their way up to the top of Bramall Lane.

Daniel Butterworth, the chairman, had informed Richard that The Blades had several training pitches away from Bramall – but the manager had no intention of using them. ‘Those training pitches may have totally different characteristics to the actual pitch they’ll play 19 matches on…I’m not taking any chances,’ Richard had thought when he put forward the idea that they train at the stadium.

Neither board member disagreed with him, but they felt that those training pitches would eventually decay and become useless when a new manager wanted to use them. “Don’t let that worry you, sir,†Richard stated, smirking slightly, “I have no intention of leaving this club.â€

“That remains to be seen,†Daniel replied, “as to whether or not Sheffield United survives the seasonal drop into the Championship,†still worried about the media predictions, that suggested all three promoted teams (Sheffield United, Watford and Reading) would immediately be relegated.

Richard coolly brushed away the thought in his mind, before retaliating with, “That won’t happen. By the end of the season, Mr. Butterworth, we’ll be in the top ten. I can guarantee you that. Maybe we’ll even be playing in the UEFA Cup next season.â€

“Maybe I was little hasty with that,†Richard said to himself in his office, believing that there was some way to go before UEFA Cup football was possible for the Yorkshire club. ‘There is still some doubt in their heads that we can survive…if we don’t get into the top ten, they won’t be disappointed,’ he thought. Richard continued to watch the session occurring on the pitch – it appeared that Matt Leach, their only goalkeeper, had more pace than the entire team.

“Typical,†he said to himself, wondering what his former boss had actually been smoking when he set this team up. Eventually, after a couple more moments of watching the session, Richard picked up the sound of three very different knocks on the door – the players had arrived.

“So what do you want us all here for, Richard?†Andrew asked, pacing around the office. At 32, he was the oldest player in the room. “We all need to get to training,†Oneil added, itching to get back onto the Bramall Lane pitch.

“No need for that, Mr. Hyde…†Richard uttered, before taking another look at the training session. “I won’t be keeping you up here for long…unless you want to be here longer,†he articulated, whilst icily glaring at the three players.

“Anyway, I have plans for this club,†Richard disclosed, “which involves getting this club into the top ten of the Premiership. Unfortunately, you three aren’t the type of players that are involved in this plan. I am placing you on the transfer list. That is all.â€

Abdoulaye, who remained silent, simply turned around and stormed out of the office, obviously fuming about the situation. Oneil, on the other hand, answered back to Richard’s statement, not liking what he heard – “How can you get rid of the three of us? You’ve given us no chance to voice our beliefs! We’re not going to stand here and let you rip ten craps out of us! Are we, Andrew?â€

“Oneil…back off…Richard is right. I mean, Miroslav and Declan would easily make the first team every week,†Andrew replied, “of course, there are no left midfielders if you leave – but I’m certain that this man,†pointing to Richard, “can find a very capable left winger who suits that style of play that he wants.â€

“Thank you, Andrew. Back to training with you,†Richard smirked; he was glad to see a player willing to obey the will of his manager. It changed nothing, though. Andrew would still be placed on the transfer list, along with Oneil and Abdoulaye.

Upon Richard’s return to the pitch, Ian attempted to call the players into their normal line in the middle of the pitch. “Come on lads…†Ian called, looking very much out of his depth. ‘He may have been a brilliant assistant to Julian when they were a Championship club…but right now, he'd do better assisting a Conference side,’ Richard thought, taking a close look at the players still trying their best to train.

It became clear to the coaches that none of the players were willing to stop training just yet. Eddie King, Sheffield United’s fitness coach, attempted to begin a second fitness session, until the entire pitch heard a loud female voice call out, “Line up! Training is over!â€

Richard looked around, curious as to where the voice had come from. Eventually, after a couple of moments searching, he spotted Alison, holding a rather large megaphone to her mouth. Taking a nervous look at the woman, Eddie slowly stepped backwards, almost afraid that Alison would yell at him if he moved to quickly.

“That help you?†she joyfully asked, before pulling the megaphone away from her mouth. Richard let a small smile grace his lips. “Lads…all I want to say is that you’ve done a good job today,†the manager stated, “and I hope this will continue into the season. It may be over a month away, but this is a make or break season,†as the players lined up.

“Anyway, you’ve got the afternoon off,†he finished, to rapturous applause from the players – probably because they were glad to be away from their new manager. In his first two days, Richard had made quite the impression on some of the players. Not a good impression, but an impression nonetheless.

Once every player made their way to the dressing rooms to change back into their own clothes, Alison nervously walked over to Richard, the fabled megaphone resting calmly in her hand. “I’m really…really sorry, Rich…†she said, trying her best not to start crying. Alison felt that she had made a major mistake that could mean she’d lose her job, along with a home.

“Stop crying, Alison,†he calmly replied, “to be honest with you, I would’ve done the same thing myself…though why, is what I want to know…â€

Alison looked up to Richard, shocked at his composed reaction. “Well…I could hear that ruckus going on, and I had a lot of paperwork to do…well, let’s just say I couldn’t do my work,†she answered, lowering her head in embarrassment, before pleading with Richard, “Please don’t kick me out…I won’t do it again, I promise.â€

“I have no intention of kicking you out of my home,†Richard icily stated, making it crystal clear that Alison had done the right thing. “It’s a little thing, anyway,†he added, his tone remaining unchanged. Clearly, she was still slightly nervous about the situation. “I’ll pack up my things when I get back,†Alison admitted, before stepping away, back towards the tunnel.

“Hold it,†Richard exclaimed, still emotionless as ever. “Trust me, since that time; it’s been business, business and more business,†he started, referring to the car crash, before continuing with, “I’ve been missing that presence in my life – supportive, caring…that’s why I allowed you to stay in the first place.â€

“Seriously? Rich, why would you need someone like that?†Alison asked, turning around to face Richard. “Oh…I see. You miss your girlfriend, right?†she realised, closing her hands around Richard’s. Alison, of course, expected him to ask her to let go. However, as she glanced up at Richard’s face, she noticed that his eyes were closed, and he was speaking to himself.

“Rich…you still with us?†Alison asked, before realising he was praying. An unusual place to pray: the middle of a football stadium; but she figured it was probably the thought of his late beloved that made him sane, yet emotionless…but that was much further from the truth than even she believed…

“Come off it Joe,†the player mumbled in a heavy Scottish accent, “you know damn well that Andy will always get the call up ahead of you,†limping away from the training pitches. A cool breeze brushed against him, smothering his whole body in rainfall – typical Scottish weather.

“Andy…I’m aware of that,†Joe replied in an equally heavy Scottish accent, patting his team-mate on the shoulder. He knew that ‘Andy’ would always get the call up to the first team squad, as he was easily the best striker in the squad.

These two players were talking about Englishman Andy Ellis, a reclusive striker for Dundee United, who always seemed to have a personality change whenever he stepped out onto the pitch – it was clear that despite his negative attitude towards everything else, playing football made him come alive.

“I don’t understand what makes John want to keep him in the squad – if he can’t deal with life off the pitch, he really shouldn’t be playing on the pitch,†Joe continued, before eyeing an unusual figure outside of Tannadice as the two players made their way towards their home stadium.

“Who the hell are you, old man?†Andy asked rudely, staring the newcomer in the eye. The other man simply stared him in the eye, his green eyes showing no sign of pressure on the owner. Joe was slightly worried that this person outside the stadium was some kind of baliff wanting cash from the club, instantly attempting to curb Andy’s badmouthed antics. However, that struck him as odd the moment he thought it up – Dundee United were in no debt to speak of.

Eventually, he noticed a club logo on the man’s jacket, after which he dragged Andy away from the man. “Andy,†he whispered, “have you not noticed that logo on his jacket?†before taking a cursory glance over at the man.

The man appeared to be in his fifties, with greying hair, coloured skin and merciless green eyes. It almost appeared that the poor Scottish weather seemed to affect him very little, as the rain pounded against his face. He didn’t even blink as Andy stared at him for what seemed like a few minutes.

“Who are you?†he asked, his accent that of an African. Both Andy and Joe jumped back in shock – they believed that this man was simply to stand at the Tannadice gate, and say absolutely nothing.

“Andy Fulton.†“Joe McCallum,†they both answered eyeing the man with curiosity. Neither of them believed that he was the manager of that club…after all, they had recently signed a new one after the last one called time on his management career.

“I am Hecham Dielna…I have been watching your club train for some time now,†he answered back, becoming slightly more cheery - unnoticeably cheery. “It is clear that you are not the people I am looking for,†he continued, “where can I find these players?†showing the two Dundee United players two photos.

The first one showed a dark coloured teenager, with cheery blue eyes and black hair. The second one showed a nervous white, blonde-haired teenager, with sad brown eyes – Andy Ellis. “Well, Mr. Dielna, the first one would be good old Darryl,†Andy Fulton replied, “and the second one is Andy Ellis. They’ll be both returning to the stadium in a couple of minutes, I think.â€

“Thank you very much, Mr. Fulton,†Hecham replied, kindly allowing them to re-enter Tannadice to pick up their things.

Once inside, Joe silently kissed the air, not noticing Andy’s unusual stare. Upon realising he was being watched, Joe boasted, “You do realise what we’ve done, don’t you? Those two will be leaving Dundee United to join them, and we’ll be in the first team!â€

“You’re right, Joe! Well, almost right. John could just easily find better replacements, and we’d be in the same position that we’re in now,†Andy stated, smirking.

“When is that going to happen though?†Joe asked, before both players laughed away towards the changing rooms.

Echoing what Wega says, he's not often wrong as a talent spotter icon_wink.gif One thing I will say, I notice in a couple of posts you've tried to justify whats to come or whats gone before (eg saying this 'Now this is something I came up with to add a little more substance to a specific character..' before the last post)

You don't need to explain your story to anyone and for me it takes away the illusion of fantasy when you do that as it reminds me it's just a story, so please don't do it anymore icon_razz.gif

It was a struggle for Richard to believe that none of the players could actually slot in a simple penalty against Matt Leach. Their only goalkeeper was by no means the best keeper in the world – more like in the top 1000… Just about, anyway.

Things had changed a lot in the 4 days Richard had spent as manager. Now, the players were giving him a little more respect than they had at the start of his reign. However, no-one was willing to give him full respect apart from the old-guard of the team – those who had played alongside the former striker in the season to remember for Sheffield United.

A new era was beginning for the team – but Richard was still unsure whether or not it would be one of glory or one of disappointment.

A cool breeze struck past his medium-cut black hair, sending little strands of it into his blazing red eyes. It was only the morning – so Richard had no idea whatsoever as to why today would be any different, as he shifted the rebellious threads into a more comfortable position. It was clear to him that Matt was getting very bored with the current situation.

“Come on you useless lot!†Matt screamed, “give me something to save here!†before turning to face the manager. Richard, despite the fact that he took a quick glance into Matt’s bronze eyes, instantly knew exactly what the 23-year old wanted.

“I’ll be back in a second,†Richard stated, heading into the tunnel. His intention was to break out a piece of Bramall Lane kit that hadn’t been used in many years – the number 3 shirt. No one ever used that number in the Sheffield United squad anymore, especially since they all believed Richard would still be playing at this point in his career.

Out on the pitch, rain had begun to drip down, giving the players a very early shower. However, none of them cared – very few of the current playing staff had ever seen the renowned Richard Thomas in Sheffield United’s kit.

“Looks like I’m about to get a challenge,†Matt finally stated, staring at the tunnel. Every player stared at the same place, gawking at Richard as he made his way out onto the Bramall Lane pitch. The kit that Richard wore seemed to be similar to the current kit, but with notable differences – the sponsor, for instance, had changed since he played.

“It’s been a long time since I wore this kit,†Richard declared, “and it’ll be the last time I ever wear it,†much to the disappointment to every player on the pitch. Even the coaches were slightly saddened that he wasn’t to return as a player.

Jon Atkinson, who had a keen eye for most things, noticed an unusual difference between Richard’s legs. “Um…Richard? Why is your right leg grey?†he asked, obviously unaware of the manager's artificial leg. It was apparent that he, along with Danny Bartlett, had no clue about the car accident.

However, Matt, who was clearly becoming frustrated by the lack of football taking place, simply yelled, “I’ll tell you two later,†with a look of fury on his face, before beckoning Richard to the penalty spot.

“Show this lot how to score a penalty!†Matt yelled, giving Richard all the inspiration he needed. It was an old feeling that he had not felt for several years – the feeling of kicking a football with fury. The other players and the coaches all watched as Richard stepped backwards 4 strides.

Jon McCarthy, one of the three main coaches, blew the training whistle, before which Richard struck a football for the first time since that day – a football that forced Matt Leach to actually make a save. Unfortunately for Matt, the ball was hit with such fury and with such power that it slammed into the top right hand corner of the net.

“Now…back to training,†Richard said in his usual tone, as he made his way back to the dressing room. Matt could do nothing but stare at the ball that had been put past him. However, a momentary glance at the manager put a smile on his face. ‘He’s still got it,’ he thought, before picking up the ball to throw back to the players lined up to try again.

The inspiration of seeing their boss put one past the keeper gave the outfield players the skills needed, as every single player, from old Andy Livesey to young Jon Atkinson, nailed shots past Matt.

When Richard returned onto the pitch to watch proceedings for the ball control training donning his usual clothing, the entire pitch staff, coaches and players, applauded the manager, who simply gave them his usual icy stare to them through his crimson orbs.

Richard knew that he had earned respect from the rest of the players and coaches now, but little had changed in Sheffield United’s prospects. It was all well and good that they were inspired by a little penalty kick, but it was only the pre-season – how long would it be before everything crashed down onto their heads?

“Look, I have a few players for you, sir,†the scout stated to the manager. Richard hadn’t even met this man before in his life, so he was a little curious as to the identity of the man. Staring down at the phone for a little time, Richard’s blazing red eyes eventually were locked into looking intently at the door.

He knew that he wasn’t expecting anyone, but a knock at the door instantly caught his attention. Willing to finish his phone call, he icily declared, “I’ll meet you at reception, now I have a situation to deal with. Goodbye,†before forcing the phone down with as much precision as his penalty kick during the week.

“Come in,†Richard called, waiting for somebody to enter. Thankfully, as the door opened, the face of Ian Jackson appeared in the doorway, holding two folders in his hands. “I’m sorry about this sir,†Ian hesitantly stammered, before stumbling into the office.

Richard simply sighed – it was his bumbling assistant manager, Ian Jackson. During the pre-season, Richard had hoped that Sunday’s were to be a day off for everybody in Sheffield United. However, on Sunday the 9th of July, 2006, he was still in the office, trying to secure new players for the club.

“I figured you could do with these squad reports,†he continued, before dropping both folders onto Richard’s desk. The red orbs remained fixated on Ian’s face, in a stare that would send shivers down anybody’s spine. “Why would I need these folders? You gave me a squad report on Sunday,†Richard asked, unforgiving in his tone.

“I’m sorry, boss,†Ian exclaimed, beginning to get very frightened of the current situation. “These are the reports on the reserves and Under 18 sides,†he continued, his body shaking as he cautiously stepped back towards the door.

“Now…these inadequacies have caused me to rethink your position in the club, Ian,†Richard stated after much deliberation. “When I find a replacement for you, you’ll be sacked, understand?†he continued, to which Ian nodded, becoming rather upset with the situation.

“Anyway, you may leave – I have a meeting to get to,†Richard declared, stepping out from behind his desk. Ian, unwilling to get in the way, shakily left the office to head home. As training had ended at lunchtime, the players and coaches had all left to pursue their own lives. However, they were all warned at the start of Richard’s reign as manager…

“Whilst I am manager,†Richard began, “your training will end at lunchtime, like it did under my predecessor,†to which the players and coaches breathed a sigh of relief. They all were under the impression that due to Richard’s cold personality, their social lives would all suffer as a result. Thankfully, that wasn’t to be.

“However, I do expect one thing from you all,†he continued, with everybody taking a close look into Richard’s crimson orbs, looking for any sign that was going to let them do what they pleased. However, they all appeared to be disappointed, as no sign showed up whilst the manager spoke to them.

“You will all be expected to turn up for training on time, fully sober,†Richard stated, “anyone who appears to have any sign of a hangover will not participate,†fully aware of the fact that many football players are likely to go out for a night at a pub after a hard training session.

Every member of the staff that was present simply nodded, looking dissatisfied, with the exception of Jon Atkinson and Danny Bartlett. Apparently, they had not starting drinking yet, so the new law set by the manager would not affect them.

“Anyway, training ends in an hour, so get back to it,†Richard declared, before taking a place in the Sheffield United dugout, watching for the remaining time to see just exactly how much this team needed to improve to have any chance of staying in the Premiership…

After a few minutes were spent walking down the long stairways of Bramall Lane, Richard eventually spotted a coloured man standing in front of the reception desk, who appeared to be staring down at the receptionist, sending shivers down her spine.

‘Looks like he’s just as good at freaking people out as I am,’ Richard thought, a smirk appearing on his face. He knew that this man was the person that had spoken to him on the phone a few minutes ago, as he could see a folder tucked under his left arm, and the Sheffield United club logo on his jacket.

Taking a small glance away from Alison, the scout finally noticed Richard walking towards him, and smiled, holding out his hand. “You must be Richard Thomas,†he said, waiting for a handshake. When it didn’t come, he lowered his hand, before pointing out of the door.

“Shall we?†he asked, suggesting that the discussion should take place away from Bramall Lane. Richard’s crimson eyes simply looked towards the door, before giving a faint nod. The two men eventually made their way out of the stadium, before heading to Richard’s usual place of rest outside of Bramall Lane – Café Euro.

Upon entry, Richard took a seat at his usual empty table, which strangely had a reserved sign on the top. However, they both ignored it, as both pulled in their chairs, ready to discuss exactly who would be worth signing up for this season.

“Anyway, I haven’t introduced myself, have I?†the scout stated, to which Richard simply shook his head, before pointing at a badge on the opposite side to the club logo. “No need. I already know that you’re Hecham Dielna,†Richard proclaimed, with Hecham simply nodding, before opening up the folder.

However, just before the discussion began, a cute waitress, with flowing black hair and pearly green eyes, stepped over to the side of the table, with a notepad in hand. “Nice to see you again, Mr. Thomas,†she said, “what can I get you?â€

“You’re the person this table is reserved for, sir?†Hecham asked, to which Richard shook his head, before coldly answering, “I’ll have the usual, Maria. Anyway…who reserved this table for me?â€

The waitress, Maria, simply answered, “A young blonde haired lady who went by the name of…Alicia, I think. She seemed to know exactly who you were, Mr. Thomas,†before Richard figured it out. His house guest, Alison, had reserved this table for him. ‘Now why would she do that?’ he thought, just as the waitress asked Hecham if he wanted anything.

“I’ll be fine, madam,†he answered politely, after which Maria stepped away to deal with Richard’s order. “Anyway, as I said in the phone call, I have a few players who would be worth a look at, boss,†Hecham stated, turning the conversation back to the reason why they were both here.

“Go ahead then,†Richard replied, his red orbs taking a close look at the folder Hecham had brought with him – it was rather full, so he figured that they would be there for some time.

“Very well,†the scout answered, before flicking through the pages, muttering to himself the odd word and crossing out the names of the less able candidates, “Useless…not worthy…idiot…can’t kick a ball to save his life,†before picking up on the man he was looking for – a possible answer to one problem Richard was having at Sheffield United.

“Here we go, sir,†Hecham stated, taking the page out of his folder and passing it to the manager. “His name is Phillip Robinson,†he added, as Richard’s red orbs went into overdrive as they passed over the sheet of paper.

Phillip Robinson, according to the report, was a 20-year old goalkeeper from Northern Ireland, who could easily challenge Matt Leach for a position in the first team in future. He was also relatively cheap in terms of monetary value – only £550k. As Richard glanced over the picture, he took note of the features that would make Phillip recognisable in a crowd – the youngster had a fresh face, with brown hair and inexperienced emerald eyes.

“He’d be worth a place in the squad, I must admit,†Richard said, “we only have one keeper at the moment,†before handing the sheet back to Hecham. Almost instantly he received another piece of paper with a report on a player who was donned in a Chelsea shirt.

“Volodymyr Yakovlev,†Hecham stated, before Richard handed the paper back to the scout. “It’s all well and good you showing me this superstar player,†Richard stated, giving his scout an icy glare through his red orbs. “There’s a problem, though. He’s worth £12.75 million and wouldn’t join this club even if we paid him £500k a week,†he finished, just as Maria returned with a cappuccino, just the way he liked it.

A few moments later, Richard had paid for the coffee with a £10 note, asking for no change, leaving Maria with a grin plastered over her face. This was, of course, because a cappuccino at Café Euro only costs £1.80. Obviously being paid £14,000 a week meant Richard felt a little more charitable than when he had to get by on benefits and was in relative poverty in comparison to the rest of the UK.

“Any more players that you have for me, Hecham?†Richard asked, before Hecham handed him two sheets of paper, one featuring a picture of a coloured teenager and the other featuring an unhappy white teenager. Hecham was still looking through the archives he had, crossing out any useless players he had scouted.

The coloured teenager went by the name of Darryl Elcock, and was a capable Trinidad and Tobago left winger currently playing for Dundee United. Given that Oneil Hyde, their only left winger, was going to be sold on eventually, Richard felt that taking a look at this player would be a fruitful experience. His value was also relatively cheap too - £400k.

The white teenager was known as Andy Ellis, an English striker worth £350k, who was also plying his trade Dundee United. At the moment, the club only had two strikers, Miroslav Ruzicka and Declan O’Shea, so Richard made a mental note for Andy to be placed on the shortlist when he returned to make any deals. Another mental note that the manager made was that the teenager had the ability to upstage both parts of his incumbent strikeforce.

“Very good finds, Hecham,†Richard admitted, keeping the sheets on his side of the table as he continued to drink his cappuccino. “Pass me Phillip’s report too,†he requested, referring to the goalkeeper he looked at.

“Anyway, these three will do nicely for now,†Richard stated, “I think making offers for more than 3 players at once would be stupid,†to which Hecham merely nodded. Making too many signings in a short space of time would be demoralising to the rest of the squad.

Eventually, Richard asked the scout, “Shall we meet again in 7 days, same time, same place?†to which Hecham simply nodded as the manager finished his cappuccino.

‘Looks like this job may not be as easy as it seems,’ Richard thought, taking a quick look at the other interested clubs vying for all three players. Thankfully, Andy Ellis and Phillip Robinson appeared to be free of interested parties except his club, but Darryl Elcock was attracting interest from Sheffield’s Premiership rivals, Fulham.

Not the best thing Richard could’ve hoped for.

After returning to Bramall Lane, Richard placed all three papers onto his desk, taking a close look at each of them. Upon closer inspection, he noticed that a number was right at the bottom of the report – with the same number appearing on two of the players. Eventually , Richard punched in the number that was on Darryl and Andy’s reports, hoping that the Dundee United manager would be willing to part with either player.

“Hello, this is Elouette speaking, how can I help you?†was the sentence Richard heard from the other end of the phone - A personal secretary. ‘Speaking of which…what happened to that advert I sent to the Sheffield Today? I’ve had no applicants!’ Richard thought to himself, before answering the receptionist in his usual cold tone. “This is Richard Thomas, manager of Sheffield United. I would like to speak with the Dundee United manager,†he stated, hearing no reply.

A few moments later, a male voice replaced the female voice, which replied with, “This is John Sinclair, manager of Dundee United. Mr. Thomas, is it? How can I help you?†to which Richard paused, wondering what line of enquiry he should pursue, or whether or not he should simply offer cold hard cash for both players, instead of asking.

“I am willing to make an offer for one of players…Darryl Elcock, I believe?†Richard said. John was obviously experienced in the art of the transfer market, as he plainly asked, “How much are you willing to pay for him, Mr. Thomas?â€

Without much thought, Richard plucked a number out of his head that was above the amount that the left winger was worth, and answered, “I’m offering £650,000 for his services, Mr. Sinclair,†curious as to what John would say.

He was expecting him to want to negotiate the price, so was especially shocked to hear a relatively straightforward answer from the Dundee United manager: “That’ll be fine, Mr. Thomas. I should be able to get Darryl down to Sheffield within the next few days – I don’t want him to miss training if the deal falls through.â€

Richard smiled to himself, wondering whether all the transfer offers he would make would be just as easy. Afterwards, John asked, “Will that be all, Mr. Thomas? I’m a busy man, and just like you, I have transfer deals to make.â€

“There is one more player I would like to make an offer for,†Richard stated, causing John to sit up in his seat. The Dundee United manager hadn’t expected offers to be made for two of his players in the same phone call.

Richard gave more thought to his answer, replying, “Andy Ellis. I’m offering £450,000 for him,†to which John shook his head – Richard obviously didn’t know this, so was expecting another clean deal. “I’m afraid that is an offer I cannot accept, Mr. Thomas. The player is far too important to Dundee United for us to let him go for that price,†John replied, his tone becoming less cheery that it had a few moments previous.

Richard hadn’t expected this – he wanted two clean deals from Dundee United. Instead, he had to rethink his offer for Andy Ellis. It was obvious that the teenage striker was important to the club – he was Dundee United’s strongest striker. However, Richard knew that Andy would become a major part in his plans for Sheffield United, so he decided to make another offer for the Englishman.

“My apologies,†Richard replied, “I am willing to rethink my offer – I can offer £675,000 for him.†In Richard’s mind, this offer had to be successful – he was offering Dundee United almost double of the value of the player in question. This time, thankfully, John’s cheery mood returned, with a jolly answer coming from the lips of the manager.

“That will be a good enough value for this club, Mr. Thomas. I’ll send him down to Sheffield in the next few days. However, I want to warn you about something, Mr. Thomas,†John exclaimed, causing curiosity in Richard’s mind.

“Carry on,†Richard indicated, to which John replied, “Andy is a bit of a recluse, Mr. Thomas. His entire close family died a few months ago, and as a result, Andy never speaks to anyone in the team. My team don’t understand this, but if you are to sign him, inform your team about this fact – they may accept him a little more.â€

“Very well, Mr. Sinclair – thank you for the warning,†Richard replied, before attempting to place the phone back on its holder. He wasn’t going to question John on what happened to Andy’s family. However, John instantly exclaimed, “Hold on! I’ve remembered something I wanted to speak to you about, Mr. Thomas.â€

Placing the phone against his ear, Richard simply listened to what John had to say. “Well, I noticed that one of your defenders is currently available for loan,†he said, referring to Martin Djorkaeff. “I would like to offer a loan deal for the whole season, Mr. Thomas. I’ll pay his wages for this season†he finished, which put a smile on Richard’s face.

“Deal, Mr. Sinclair. Thank you, and goodbye,†Richard coldly stated, putting the phone down. He had made two successful offers for players, and had the added bonus of a loan offer for the club’s joker. Could this day get any better?

Apparently, it could. A successful deal had been made for Hibernian’s Phillip Robinson, as the Scottish club’s manager Derek Winter accepted Richard’s offer for £750,000 for the keeper. ‘Looks like that’s three players coming to join us in the next month…’ Richard thought, smiling to himself. Obviously, he had forgotten about offering contracts to those players…and that niggling interest for Darryl from Fulham…

The next day, Jon Atkinson awoke with a start, struggling to pick himself up off his bed. The room appeared to have been kitted out in Sheffield United colours – obviously he had been a fan of the club long before he became a player. Dust had settled on many of the surfaces of the room, showing to anyone who entered that Jon was lax in cleaning up the place.

Unlike most of the players in the Sheffield United squad, Jon was still living with his parents, both of which were in their late thirties. The teenager had been unaware of it for a long time, but Richard Thomas, the club manager, lived only three doors down, at Number 16 Brincliffe Crescent, Sheffield.

Obviously the youngster was tired after a night out with a couple of his squad mates. Danny Bartlett, Garry Clarke and him had been to a local pub for most of the afternoon. Thankfully, none of them shoved any alcohol down their throats, so they wouldn’t face the wrath of Richard and his piercing crimson eyes.

Unfortunately for him, he was running a little late. Picking up a piece of toast as his mother plastered them with butter, he yelled, “I’ll be back in a few hours, got to go training,†before running out of the door, with his Sheffield United kit closely guarded in his bag.

As he attempted to get to the ground before the manager did, the door opened at number 16. Richard Thomas was heading to Bramall Lane, and Jon knew that he would suffer if he was late. Instantly, the youngster decided to ask for a lift to the ground. As he hadn’t passed his driving test (he had failed it twice already), driving there on his own was out of the question.

“Mr. Thomas, sir!†Jon called out, to which Richard glanced around, looking for the person who had called to him. Alison, walking behind him, eventually spotted the youngster, pointing him out to the manager.

Jon, polishing off what was left of the toast, waited by the Ford Mondeo that Richard owned – it was clear that it belonged to him, due to the ‘unique’ number plate: RT SUFC. “I assume you want a lift then, Jon?†Richard asked, his red eyes taking a close look at the teenager.

“That’s right, sir…†he replied, looking very nervous. Richard simply beckoned the youngster to step inside, withholding from any speech. Alison, despite the fact that she lived with the manager, followed Jon into the back seat of the car – she also refrained from speaking.

“I’m really sorry for not allowing you to stay at my house, Ms. Trent…my parents would’ve been asking when the wedding was,†Jon joked, to which Alison shook her head, sweetly replying, “its ok, Jon. Don’t worry about it.â€

The car journey continued without a hitch, pulling up to Bramall Lane ten minutes later. However, Jon, stepping out of the car, instantly clutched at his stomach, feeling very sick. “Alison, take him to Ian,†Richard requested, referring to their physio, Ian Morgan. Disgustingly, the food Jon had eaten for the past day or so regurgitated back onto the pavement moments after, leaving one hell of a cleaning job for the local council. Thankfully, Alison followed Richard’s order without any complaints, whilst the manager headed to the tunnel, preparing for the morning training session.

Alison decided to wait for Ian’s report outside the physio room, located on the floor above the reception area. Her mind was frantically going through the possibilities – though more importantly, she was curious as to whether or not Jon was going to be ok. Clearly the blonde haired young woman had been hurt when the youngster decided to not let her stay at his home, but he was a member of the squad, so she was willing to make amends for that reason alone – with all of the players, to be honest.

A few minutes later, the physio, Ian Morgan, tiredly walked out of his office, loosely holding a piece of paper in his left hand. His brown hair appeared to be sweat-ridden, and Alison spotted noticeable dark patches underneath the physio’s green eyes. “Good morning, sir,†Alison hesitantly said, “How’s Jon holding up?â€

Ian, probably working flat out to ensure that Jon would be fit for their next friendly, simply handed the piece of paper he held in his sweaty left hand to Alison. “Give that to the manager,†he requested to Alison, before wearily walking back into physio room to deal with the young defender.

Heading back down to the pitch, Alison watched as all three squads (senior, reserves and under-18) continued to train under a rainy sky, unaware of the situation Jon was in. However, she hadn’t read the report either, so was under the impression that Richard, watching the training session less than closely, spotted his house guest at the edge of the tunnel, beckoning her to join him at the dugout when she finally took notice of him.

“Do we know what’s happened to him?†Richard asked, to which Alison simply handed him the piece of paper. The manager stared down at the physio’s report, and a small sigh escaped his lips. Alison could see his red orbs looking further down the page, before they lit up slightly, grateful about something on the paper.

“Looks like it isn’t a disaster,†Richard assured, before giving Alison the full details: “Jon seems to have picked up a bit of food poisoning – shouldn’t be too bad. Ian seems to think he’ll be out for a couple of days to maybe a week. That’s a relief – he’ll be ready for the season opener.â€

“What about the friendly matches, Rich? Isn’t there one tomorrow?†Alison asked, curious as to why Richard wasn’t too bothered about the illness his player was suffering from. “Nope – cancelled them all,†Richard stated, “I need the squad to learn to play together properly before the season begins.â€

“In other words, your squad isn’t ready at all?†Alison questioned, to which Richard simply admitted, “Yes. I’m surprised they even got promoted…though I’m sure I can turn this club’s fortunes around.â€

Instantly, Richard’s red orbs gazed into the sky, watching as the clouds of disbelief and squalor disappeared, revealing a glowing orange orb in the heavens. ‘Maybe we can do this…’ Richard thought, an icy smile appearing on his face.

Alison simply glanced over the manager, silently praying that the sun would provide more than success on the pitch, but would also be able to thaw Richard’s frozen heart.

“Look, David, I am putting Martin out on loan for the whole season – I don’t want a one month loan deal,†Richard stated, becoming slightly frustrated that David Kehoe, the Sunderland manager, wasn’t willing to actually keep the French defender on loan for the whole season. The fact that half of the wages would be coming from the coffers at Bramall Lane wasn’t a totally nice prospect either. The two managers had been in a heated discussion over the offer for over half an hour now, and it was becoming extremely frustrating.

“Very well, Richard…I’ll discuss this with my board, and I’ll be able to make a suitable deal for you in the next few days,†David exclaimed, before Richard butted in with one final warning for the Sunderland manager: “David – it’s now or not at all. I want a deal on the table right now, or you can stuff it where the suns don’t shine.â€

Richard heard a very loud sigh coming from Sunderland end of the phone call, before the manager finally conceded that Martin was to become a pivotal part of their plans for promotion to the Premiership. “Fine, Richard. You win. I’ll offer a full season loan…and we’ll pay all of his wages,†he offered, with a small grin appearing on Richard’s face.

“Thank you, David. I accept your generous offer,†Richard smirked, adding a hint of sarcasm during ‘generous’. Not that he had much right to do so – David had simply tried to keep his wage budget down, just like Richard had to just to keep the team solvent. Thankfully, the club had a healthy bank balance of £1.28M – though that was nothing compared to the balances of the big four in the Premiership.

“Thank you, Richard. Could you send him down to Sunderland as soon as possible?†David asked, desperate to earn Martin’s signature for the deal. However, Richard decided to put a spanner into the works, giving David the feeling that the chances of getting the defender on loan were to take a serious nosedive.

“That shouldn’t be a problem, David. Though you may have to wait a little,†Richard stated, “Martin’s in Scotland at the moment,†before he heard a small gasp from the Sunderland end, placing a grin all over the Sheffield United manager. David knew exactly why Martin was in Scotland, and that made things all the more pleasurable.

“If you’ll excuse me, David, someone else is calling me,†Richard excused himself – however, it was true. He had heard a faint beeping coming from within the receiver. Placing the phone back down onto its socket, the phone began to ring again, which Richard instantly picked up.

“Hello?†Richard asked, unsure who would be ringing this time around. However, this time around, the person on the other end of the phone decided to not deal with the pleasantries, getting straight to the point of his call.

“Martin Djorkaeff. This club wants him on a loan deal for the season – we’ll pay his wages,†the person offered, to which Richard looked out of the window, aghast. ‘Now which club wants him this time?’ he thought, before pushing his jaw back up to its usual position.

“Can I ask who this is?†Richard asked in his usual icy tone. His composure had been regained, and whoever it was on the other end of the phone was going to feel that in very little time. “Oh I’m sorry, Mr. Thomas…I forgot that you’re a new manager. I’m the manager of Aberdeen, Steven Gibb – Stevie for short,†the man replied, much to the Richard’s relief.

At least it wasn’t some prankster trying to get a loan deal for some backwater club in the Himalayas. “Now that I know exactly which club is asking for Martin’s services, I can easily say I accept,†the manager replied, “Martin should be finished at Dundee sometime soon…â€

“Thank you, Mr. Thomas!†Stevie answered, a little deflated that another club had asked for the Frenchman’s services. Richard heard the phone line cut from the Aberdeen end of the conversation, giving the Englishman the signal to place his phone down. It was clear that the phone calls were over for today.

Alas, much to Richard’s dismay, the phone began to ring again, showing a rather familiar number on the screen. Picking up the receiver, Richard simply answered, “Martin – I hope you’ve finished your dealings with Dundee. You’ve got a meeting with Aberdeen and Sunderland,†clearly able to tell that the familiar number belonged to the French defender.

However, Martin, who was on the other end of the phone, cleanly replied, “Tell them to go shove those deals up their backsides, boss. I’ve made my choice already. You have a meeting with Mr. John Sinclair, sir.â€

‘Where are those candidates for the secretary job?’ Richard thought to himself, still wondering why ten days had passed and not one candidate had shown up to present themselves. He was back in his office; waiting for any of the three players he had agreed offers for on the Sunday to show up.

A knock at the door came, much to Richard’s delight. Maybe it was a candidate for the secretary job – or even better, one of his three potential signings. However, much to his disappointment, it was only Alison, showing up the front page of The Sheffield Today, which featured an interview with Julian Preston, Richard’s predecessor.

“I figured you’d want to read it, Richard,†Alison stated, before turning around and attempting to leave the manager’s office. However, Richard called her back in, feeling it would a good idea for him to have some kind of company to read the interview – just in case he lost his cool. Not that he would, of course, being the iceman of the establishment.

After opening the newspaper to page 50, the young manager tried to begin to read the interview, which appeared to almost be in the form of a play, in his opinion. ‘Why do they do it like this?’ Richard thought to himself, before quickly realising that the newspaper probably would have limited space for something like this, and would need to condense it down. Taking a quick look just below the report title, his eyes wandered towards the name of the interviewer…

Interviewer: Katie May

Richard’s eyes widened, curious as to why the name of his former beloved would appear as the name of an interviewer for the Sheffield Today. “Alison…who interviewed Julian? What is her name?†Richard asked, wondering whether or not his mind was wandering to places that not even he knew about.

“Why, it says there – Katherine Munda,†Alison replied, putting Richard’s mind at ease. He had simply misread the letters on the page – which wasn’t hard, considering the amount of stress there was upon him to do well this season.

After his mind decided to return to its normal position, Richard began to read the interview, curious as to what his predecessor had to say about him.

Katherine Munda: Thank you for joining us, Mr. Preston. Why did you decide to hand over the Sheffield United management job to Richard Thomas?

Julian Preston: Well, Kath, I felt that it was time for me to retire – at 60, it’s easy to see that I’m not going to be able to handle the high-pressure situations in the Premiership.

KM: Is there any other reason as to why you quit?

JP: Well, after Richard’s accident in 2003, I felt that if the club were to ever reach the Premier League, I would leave the job to him – he always wanted to play in the Premiership.

KM: Interesting…How do you feel your former club will do this season?

JP: To be honest, I know people like you believe the club will be playing Championship football next season…

KM: I didn’t say that…

JP: I never said you, did I? Anyway, despite the high odds that they will be doing just that, I feel that Richard has the management capabilities to keep them in the Premiership. I will go so far to say that they will finish in the top ten this season...

Richard instantly stopped reading at this point – his former boss even had the faith to put Sheffield United into the top ten at the end of the season, which sent massive amounts of pride through his body. He had told the board that they would do just that, so in Richard’s mind, having a second opinion that stated the same thing was nothing short of a miracle.

“Quite a good interview, I think,†Alison said, having finished reading, “Julian has a lot of faith in you, doesn’t he?†before flipping the pages to look at the adverts section. Despite her good job at Bramall Lane, Alison, being of an ambitious nature, was always on the look-out for a job higher up in the world.

Richard, realising this, took a long glance over the blonde’s shoulder, realising the club logo was not present throughout the entire advertising section – the advert for his personal secretary had not been placed in the paper.

Hastily, the young manager made punched in the number for the Sheffield Today, to which Alison asked, “Who’re you calling, Rich?â€

“You’ll find out soon enough,†Richard replied, before the familiar voice of the receptionist rang through his ears. “I need to speak to the head of the advertising department, now,†Richard stated, to which the receptionist simply re-routed the call, much to Richard’s pleasure.

“How I can help, Richard my lad?†the head exclaimed, slightly aggravating the young manager. Becoming steadily more annoyed, Richard asked, “Aaron…what happened to the advert I asked to be put in the paper ten days ago?†curious as to why the advert never reached the printing press.

However, the young man in charge of the advertising department appeared to be adamant that the advert was in the paper: “No jokes, please, Richard. That advert is in the paper right now,†he said, before taking a look through a copy of the day’s paper that he had sitting by his desk.

“Look again. I said put the club’s logo within the advert,†Richard said, before Aaron finally picked up on the point that the advert wasn’t there. “I was sure that it was there. I sent the advert to a junior worker in the department to put in the paper…oh no…I’m doomed!†Aaron exclaimed, realising his error.

It became clear to Aaron that any junior worker, whether they worked for a local newspaper or the Inland Revenue, is going to lose something that is pivotal to them keeping their job. Instantly apologising for the mistake made by the newspaper, Aaron asked, “Would you like me to put it in for tomorrow’s edition, Richard?â€

“There’s no need, Aaron. The perfect candidate for that job is in my office,†Richard stated, before placing the phone down, confusing Alison. She, of course, had no idea as to why Richard believed she was perfect for anything.

“Alison…how much are you paid every year?†Richard asked, believing that it was essential to get her to take up the new post he was creating. The blonde, looking up from the adverts section of the Sheffield Today, defiantly replied, “You may be my boss, Richard, but there is no way I’m telling you that.â€

Richard, having to think about what he would say next very carefully, realised that nobody would ever release such details. “Well, I’d like to pay you about forty thousand pounds a year for your new job, Alison…I just want to know whether that’s higher or lower that what you currently earn,†Richard replied icily, his tone remaining unchanged throughout his statement.

Alison simply stared at Richard, curious about the new job. “When can I start?†she asked, realising that forty thousand pounds was well over three times the amount she earned at the moment. “Well, considering your work place is outside of this office…now,†Richard replied, a smirk appearing on his face.

“You mean…I’ll be your personal assistant?†Alison asked, resulting in a rare smile from Richard. He knew that he was making the right decision – the blonde woman standing at his desk was by far the smartest person he knew at the moment.

“Exactly that,†Richard stated, “now get to it,†before stepping out of his chair to look down at the pitch. The players had finished training over an hour ago, and the ground staff were dealing with any problems with the pitch that had come about because of the training schedule. Richard had decided to leave the training programme to the coaches, who had set their sights on a simple schedule that involved every player – a general schedule, they called it.

Richard knew he would eventually have to change the programmes for each position – he was keeping his hopes up that he wouldn’t need to. However, it was clear that treating every player on an equal footing wasn’t going to work all the time – but Richard had no knowledge on this.

The time would come soon for that information to be divulged onto the manager – but how far down would Sheffield United have to be for that to come about?

“And who would you be?†Alison asked the youngster in front of him. The blonde’s first day in the job, in her opinion, was going very well at the moment – she felt that she was stopping an unruly youngster from meeting the manager under false pretences.

“I’ve told you five hundred times, lady. I’m Phillip Robinson, and I need to discuss a contract with Richard Thomas,†the youngster claimed, but Alison wasn’t willing to believe the Northern Ireland goalkeeper. Deciding that she had spent enough time trying to get rid of him, Alison simply sighed, before replying with, “Fine…go on in. But if you’re not who you say you are, kid, I’ll…well, I don’t know what I’ll do, but you won’t like it!â€

However, as the youngster opened the door, he noticed that the manager’s office was completely empty. “Oi!†he yelled at Alison, “have you set me up here? Your boss ain’t here!†before the blonde finally realised – it was the morning, not the afternoon, so Richard was currently down on the training pitch with the rest of the players.

“I’m really sorry, Phillip, if that’s who are. I forgot that Richard is down on the pitch,†Alison said, stepping out from behind her desk to show the youngster exactly who his potential new manager was. “There – the one with the red eyes,†she pointed out to Phillip.

The youngster, after fifteen minutes of arguing with Richard’s personal assistant, was almost tempted to walk out of Bramall Lane and discuss nothing with the manager. However, he realised that he would face a good going over from his current manager, Derek Winter, if he returned without speaking to Richard.

“Richard Thomas?†Phillip asked as he walked towards the club’s manager. “That’s me, what’s up?†Richard asked, before staring at the youngster with an icy glare. However, the manager eventually recognised exactly who this kid was – one of his transfer targets was here.

“I’m sorry, Phillip. I’ve been waiting so long for you to arrive; I almost thought you weren’t coming to discuss a contract!†Richard replied, stating his fears that none of his transfer targets would come to Bramall Lane to wear the Sheffield United shirt. However, despite this fear, his tone was still as icy as ever.

“Well, that’s not going to happen, despite your secretary trying to stop me,†Phillip stated, much to the surprise of the manager. However, Richard remembered that he had forgotten to tell Alison about his current transfer targets.

Richard, taking Phillip away from the training session and back through the tunnel, simply replied, “Well, it is her first day on the job, so she’s probably a little nervous. Anyway, don’t you have an agent?†to which the brown haired youngster shook his head, stating to Richard that he would be discussing the contract himself.

Icily, the young manager opened up his office door to the goalkeeper, before whispering to Alison, “I’ll talk to you once I’ve dealt with this, ok?†to which the blonde haired secretary simply nodded, appearing almost frightened at the prospect of being told off by Richard so early into her new job.

Upon entry, Richard simply said, “Now, what kind of deal are you looking for?†to the youngster, who had already taken a seat at the front of his desk. “Well, sir, I’m looking for about one thousand, one hundred pounds for a couple of years,†Phillip replied, before adding, “and all the usual bonuses – clean sheet, win, etcetera...â€

“I’m sure we can accommodate for all of that, young man,†a third voice stated, causing both player and manager to turn around to find an open door, with the chairman taking a close look at the youngster. “What, am I meant to discuss this with the board, too?†Richard asked, with a short reply coming from Daniel – “Yes.â€

Realising his error, Richard nodded, before beckoning Phillip to join him in the board room. The Northern Irish goalkeeper obliged, shooting metaphorical daggers at Alison between the short journey from the manager’s office to the board room.

Once inside the board room, the three men all sat down, each with their own agenda in mind. “Anyway, how much did you say you wanted? £1,100 a year, was it?†Daniel asked, to which Phillip shook his head defiantly.

“I should’ve made myself clearer, bud. I want £1,100 a week,†Phillip stated, which Richard had understood long before the chairman interrupted proceedings. “I’m sure we can accommodate for it, Daniel. I mean, before we sent him out on loan, Martin was earning over seven thousand a week,†Richard claimed, to which the chairman simply nodded.

“Very well – is there anything else you want, Phillip?†Richard asked, to which the youngster replied, “Before I sign…you wouldn’t mind if I get my things, Mr. Thomas? From my home in Scotland, I mean,†causing Richard to think rather quickly – did he want to prolong this deal any further? However, he eventually realised that if Phillip didn’t have any of his things from his home, it was likely that he would be late to training every day – or be completely knackered by the time he arrived.

“I don’t see why not, Phillip. I’m sure one of our squad can offer you a place until you find a place of your own in Sheffield,†Richard answered, causing Phillip to almost jump out of his seat. The youngster had not expected such quick negotiations, nor had he expected his second request to be granted.

“Thank you, Mr. Thomas! I should be back in two days to sign…could you make sure a contract is ready for me to sign when I get back?†Phillip asked, to which he was given a firm nod. “The contract will be here for you to sign when you arrive in Sheffield again, Phillip,†Richard answered icily, his face showing a small sign of joy that he was a couple of days away from completing his first successful transfer deal.

The joy of being on the verge of completing a transfer deal meant that Richard had totally forgotten about talking to Alison until the next day, where he simply informed the blonde that a few youngsters were likely to show up wanting to see him – and that they should be let in. Thankfully, the speech took place at Richard’s home, rather than at Bramall Lane, meaning Alison was less embarrassed.

‘I guess I should’ve told her before I gave her the job…’ Richard thought to himself again, blaming himself slightly for Alison’s inexperience. Finally, the young manager prepared for another day of training, wearing his usual Sheffield United jacket over his old kit, of which the shorts were covered by a pair of black trousers.

“You’re seriously going to wear your old kit, Rich?†Alison asked as they walked out of the house. ‘I still don’t know why he’s letting me stay at his home…’ the young blonde thought to herself, realising that a week had long since passed since she first asked him the favour.

“That I am, Alison – I’m trying to remember the days of my career as a player,†Richard answered whilst walking backwards from the house, before turning around to be met by a man that he had never seen before in his short career as a manager.

The man appeared to be much older than him, looking to be roughly mid-thirties. He was staring at Richard through blue eyes, and wasn’t afraid to show off his darkly coloured skin in an area that wasn’t totally keen on other races being in the community - what with the neighbourhood being completely white.

“Can I help you?†Richard asked icily, causing the man to believe that the Sheffield United manager was being racist towards him. “Yeah, you can, you racist sod,†he replied, before Alison piped up, defending her boss: “I’m really sorry, sir – my boss is always like this, and would never be racist towards anyone. Most of his club’s squad are of a different race to him, and he sincerely doesn’t care.â€

“I see,†the man answered, understanding Alison clearly, “well, I apologize for my rudeness. Na’im Elcock is my name – I’m here to discuss a contract with you on behalf of my son, Darryl,†before raising a hand for a handshake. Despite his cold nature, Richard took the handshake, and simply requested, “I’m willing to discuss this contract, Mr. Elcock, but I would prefer it if you had waited for me at the stadium.â€

Na’im simply bowed, before apologising for his actions again. “No need to apologise, Mr. Elcock,†Richard answered, noticing a black Mercedes which appeared to be carrying a young black male, who the manager assumed to be Darryl. “I’ll speak with you again at Bramall Lane, Mr. Elcock,†he stated, before sliding into his Ford Mondeo.

After the manager’s car stopped at the entrance to Bramall Lane, both Richard and Alison felt a sickening jolt that threw the car and it’s occupants forward a couple of metres. Instantly, Richard looked over at the passenger seat, asking, “Are you ok, Alison?â€

However, the image in his head was not of his current surroundings, but of the night that cost him his leg and his beloved Katie. The brunette that he saw was sprawled over the front of the car, blood oozing from her head. Richard noticed the cracked windscreen, and realised exactly how she had died – how she was dying.

“I’ll save you, Katie!†Richard yelled in an unusual tone for him, before the image of the brunette disappeared, replaced by the reality of Alison Trent. “Are you ok?†the blonde asked, to which Richard shook his head, trying to figure out what was reality and what was in the past.

“I’m sorry, Alison,†Richard icily replied, “I thought I was somewhere else,†attempting to work out what had happened to cause such a jolt. Eventually, as he looked in his wing mirrors, he spotted a coloured man walking towards him. Then it struck him - it had been Na’im Elcock’s car that slammed into the back of his own.

Opening the car door, Na’im instantly apologized, realising that it was clearly his fault. “Relax, Mr. Elcock. It was a lapse of concentration, and I can get that fixed anyway. Don’t worry,†Richard answered, feeling more charitable than ever. Had it happened before his management career began, the young man would’ve been asking for insurance details.

Once inside the stadium, all four people made their way up towards the top floor, not willing to discuss the situation that had just occurred. “Are you sure you’re ok with things, Mr. Thomas?†Na’im asked, to which he was simply given an icy glare in reply, which ended the discussion right there and then.

Once at the top floor, Alison took up her usual post next to Richard’s office, whilst the manager led the two Elcock’s into the board room. Daniel, a man of little ambition, was curious when the three men entered the room.

“I assume another player is here to discuss a contract, Richard?†Daniel asked, to which the young manager simply nodded, before taking a seat at the long table and asking, “What kind of deal is your son looking for, Mr. Elcock?â€

Darryl appeared to be shocked when his father was asked this question, fidgeting with his feet slightly – it was clear that his father’s idea of a worthwhile contract was much more than he felt. “Well, Darryl would like at least twenty five thousand pounds a week, along with a three hundred thousand pound signing on fee, Mr. Thomas,†Na’im answered, to which all three Sheffield United men lurched back slightly.

“I’m afraid we won’t be able to accommodate for that, Mr. Elcock,†Richard stated, looking slightly curiously at Darryl’s actions. The youngster had begun to fidget with his hands, and sweat appeared to be poring from his body.

“Well, that is what Darryl wants, so it’s either that or he stays with Dundee United,†Na’im stated, shaking his head defiantly. “You won’t back down on this, will you, Mr. Elcock?†Daniel asked, before Darryl finally appeared to have had enough with his father’s tough tactics.

“Father! That is not what I want at all,†the youngster yelled, “Just because you want me to join Fulham doesn’t mean that you can just spurn any chance of me getting a chance anywhere else!†to which Na’im shook his head again, believing that he was in the right.

However, none of the Sheffield United board were impressed by the argument occurring within the room, and appeared to be eager to get this over and done with, as the chairman simply stated, “We will offer you a thousand five hundred pounds a week, and that is our final offer,†to which Darryl answered, “Thank you,†before striding out of the board room, his father sighing as he followed.

Richard, who wasn’t willing to discuss a contract with the Elcock’s any further, simply walked out of the board room a couple of moments later, before getting immediately onto the phone in his office, attempting to sort out a repair job on his car.

At least there had been some controversy in his first week as manager.

“And that is that,†Phillip sighed with relief, staring down at the contract he had just signed with Sheffield United. All four people inside the board room appeared calm, given that the matter had been put beyond doubt two days ago, when the youngster arrived to discuss a contract with the club.

Richard stared outside at the pitch, watching as the players continued to train their heart out. The young manager felt that with a few more signings, the future of the club as a Premiership force would be guaranteed. However, as Hecham had only given him a selection of three players at the meeting at Café Euro, along with the fact that one of them looked like he was going to sign for another club, the chances of signing any players up were slim.

Richard had already prepared Phillip’s kit for him, handing over the club-endorsed garments to the youngster moments after he had signed on the dotted line. “Get down to the dressing room, young sir,†Daniel requested afterwards, “I’m sure your team-mates are eager to meet you.â€

“Will do, Mr. Butterworth,†Phillip complied, running out of the board room with clear joy in his eyes. Watching as the youngster exited the room, both Richard and Daniel looked to each other, before nodding, realising that Phillip was eager enough to be part of the Sheffield United setup.

A few moments later, a distant ringing noise was audible to everyone in the board room. Richard instantly recognised the noise as his office phone, whilst the two board members were clueless concerning the whereabouts of the ringing. Without saying so much as a word to the higher management, Richard left the board room, before making the quick journey to his office.

However, by the time he entered the room, the ringing had ceased to exist. ‘Must be some kind of idiot that can’t be bothered waiting,’ Richard thought, turning back around so he could get to the training pitch in due haste. However, a distinct tap on his shoulder whilst passing the receptionist desk made Richard finally realise that the caller had not hung up – whoever made the call had received an answer from Alison.

“Richard, a Mr. Dielna wanted me to pass this message on to you,†she said, passing a small handwritten note over to the young manager. Richard instantly recognised the name that Alison mentioned – Hecham Dielna, Sheffield United’s head scout.

Taking the message, Richard took note of the fact that Hecham would no longer be able to meet with him to discuss new players, as he was in Holland. The message also mentioned that he would be faxing reports to him in future. ‘Why is Hecham in Holland? Though…I did tell him he could go absolutely anywhere in Europe…’ Richard thought to himself, before beckoning Alison to take the note back.

“What do you want me to do with it?†Alison asked, before realising that she should bin the little piece of paper as it had outlived its use to the club. “I understand, sir,†she added, throwing the paper into the nearest rubbish bin. She felt that it was rather wasteful that they were discarding it after a single use, but a club like Sheffield United almost had money to burn, so it made no difference. However, Richard had already departed for the pitch by the time Alison made her realisation, so the blonde simply sighed, before returning to her desk.

Several minutes later, Richard had finally returned to the training pitch, preparing to see the new Sheffield United goalkeeper make his first appearance in the club’s kit. As a goalkeeper, the youngster would be wearing a turquoise shirt, similar to Matt Leach’s, instead of the outfield red and white kit.

Noticing that Phillip was making his way towards the end of the tunnel, Richard called over the rest of the squad, knowing that training had just finished for them. “I would like you all to meet your new team-mate, Phillip Robinson!†Richard icily declared, before the youngster was met by applause as he walked out in his new kit, looking extremely confident.

“Do you reckon he’ll be able to help us secure our status as a Premiership club?†Ian Jackson nervously asked, slightly worried that the youngster in front of them was going to be of little use this season. Richard, who had faith in Phillip, simply nodded, leaving Ian disheartened.

Phillip, however, didn’t really care about the number of games he was to play – yet. The instant support he received from the rest of the team told him only one thing – he had made the right decision in joining the club.

NORTHERN STAR - A NEW BLADE OF GLORY

Northern Ireland goalkeeper Phillip Robinson has completed a move taking him from Scottish Premier League side Hibernian to recently-promoted English side Sheffield United. It is reported that the Blades have paid a sum of around £700,000 to the Hibs for the youngster.

In a national press conference, Phillip appeared to be extremely pleased with his change in club, despite the fact that he may only be a back-up keeper: “The rest of the squad are absolutely fantastic, and I don’t regret making the move to Sheffield. I’ll be happy if I get a couple of outings in the first team this season – Matt (Leach) is a great shot-stopper.â€

Richard Thomas, despite his appearance at the conference, was unwilling to comment on the signing.

‘That’s the way I like it,’ Richard thought to himself as he placed the newspaper alongside him inside the Sheffield United dugout. He felt that, at the moment, letting the new signings that they make speak on their own terms, rather than his, would boost confidence. Thankfully, the belief that he had in his new signing was repaid during the training session.

Phillip, between the sticks for the first time in his short Sheffield United career, had the job of holding off the shots of his team-mates during an attacking session. ‘Usually, Matt takes that role,’ Richard thought to himself, ‘but letting Phillip take the role may help boost his confidence even more.’

Shots came in thick and fast from the Blades outfield players, placing the teenage goalkeeper under the most pressure of any of the Sheffield United squad. However, the outfield were left scratching their heads as to why they were unable to put a goal past their new team-mate – as he had parried or caught all of the attempts sent his way.

By the end of the session, Matt Leach was forced to take over between the sticks, as it appeared that Phillip was absolutely shattered from the intense pressure placed on his inexperienced shoulders. ‘They both need practice between the sticks, so it’s almost a good thing,’ Richard thought to himself from the dugout.

Once the training whistle had sounded for the final time, all of the players turned to face their new team-mate, a rapturous applause escaping their souls. It wasn’t hard for the manager to see that his players had the faith that Phillip Robinson was to become an excellent goalkeeper in the future.

“Well done everybody,†Richard exclaimed, before giving a rare smile to his new signing. After looking back to the rest of the squad, he noticed a familiar blonde haired woman walking towards him, another note in her hand. “What is it this time, Alison?†the young manager asked, taking his eyes off of the players as they made their way back to the dressing room.

“Well, Rich, you had a call from a Mr. Martin Lloyd,†Alison stated. The name was familiar to Richard – Martin Lloyd had been the manager of Ipswich Town FC since October 2002, back when Richard was still playing football rather than managing it. “He’s interested in Oneil Hyde, sir,†Alison continued, causing a little rift of surprise within Richard’s mind.

“How much do they want to pay?†Richard asked his secretary, before being handed a second note in as many days. The note gave the young manager a crystal clear picture of the value Martin placed on the out-of-favour left winger - £800,000. Deciding that it was probably best for the Jamaican, Richard bluntly stated, “Get back on the phone, Alison, and accept their offer.â€

Alison, fully aware of the schedule Richard had today, simply nodded, leaving the pitch just as quickly as she entered. Knowing that Alison would follow his orders to the letter, Richard headed towards the stadium exit, preparing for his biannual inspection on his artificial leg.

He dreaded the thought of the doctor’s ripping his leg off again, but considering his new position in the football world, it was now more important than ever.

“Just lay down on the bed, Mr. Thomas,†Dr. Howard requested, as the young manager was being as stubborn as usual – not once in the past five visits to the hospital had Richard followed the doctor’s orders. “All we’re doing is checking for damage to the leg,†the doctor continued, “we’re not going to rip your new leg off this time.â€

“Very well then,†Richard replied, icily giving his doctor a stare that would send shivers down an inexperienced worker. However, as Dr. Howard had been Richard’s doctor since the accident, the icy stares caused nothing more than a tiny unnoticeable wince. “I just hope that you won’t delay the next one,†the young manager stated, as despite his appointment being on the 16th of July, here he was, on the 19th of July, dealing with a problem that should’ve been dealt with several days ago.

“I’ve told you, Richard, the administration made an error – they had you down for today, but in their wisdom, they told you it was for the 16th,†Dr. Howard protested, unwilling to take any blame for the misdemeanours of the hospital’s admin staff.

Lying down on the bed, Richard instantly began to close his eyes, hoping that Dr. Howard had not lied to him about their intentions for this appointment. A few moments later, the young manager had fallen into a deep sleep, becoming unaware of anything that the good doctor was doing to him and his artificial limb...

“Please, Richard. Let me drive,†a young girl pleaded with her boyfriend. He had just spent an hour and a half knocking ten bells out of his opposition on the football pitch. However, the young starlet, Richard Thomas, was adamant that due to the close proximity of his home from Bramall Lane, there was no need for either of them to worry.

Picking the keys up from his bag, Richard sat himself down into the driver’s seat of his Ford Fiesta, not wanting to relinquish the controls of his car to Katie May. “Don’t you worry, love,†Richard stated, before starting up the car.

After several minutes of driving, Katie realised that her judgement had been misplaced. Richard, despite his jadedness after a scintillating match, was keeping to the laws of the road, and had not had any moments of edging onto the pavement – the usual signs of tiredness affecting the driving capabilities of a human being.

Unaware to anyone within the district, an ethereal figure was watching everything unfold on this quiet night. “Where am I?†the figure asked itself, before realising that he was observing exactly what happened to him on the night of the 13th of May, 2003 - the ethereal figure was Richard Thomas, stuck inside his dream world.

Though this was no dream. Unlike most dreams, where the dreamer could change anything that happened with the world, Richard was powerless as he watched his old Ford Fiesta collide with a relatively new Acura RL. At least, it was new at the time. The young manager looked closely at the driver of the offending car, spotting a drunken look in the man’s eyes.

Thankfully, Richard recognised him immediately – it was the man he had sent down for two years for dangerous driving. However, a new thought played in his mind – that very man had been released yesterday.

“Richard?†Dr. Howard asked, slapping the young manager across his face to grab his attention. “We’re finished, young man,†the doctor continued, before noticing a rather pale look in Richard’s eyes – as if he had seen a ghost. “Are you ok?†he asked, to which the young manager nodded slightly, before hastily making his way to the door.

What was going to happen to him now? The man he had put into jail wasn’t exactly going to come to his door with flowers and cookies, was he? ‘Unless I do something, I’m likely to suffer at his hands again,’ the young manager thought to himself whilst walking through the hospital wards. He almost felt as if all of the blood circulating around his body was about to freeze – that his attacker was to exact his revenge upon Richard’s soul after two years hidden away from the light.

However, those thoughts were finally placed into the back of his mind, as he felt a rumbling in his trouser pocket. The young manager took the offending item from his pocket, before realising that Alison was calling him from Bramall Lane. “What’s up, Alison? Has Andy Ellis turned up to discuss a contract?†Richard asked, still feeling a little shaken from his ethereal experience.

“Keep dreaming, Rich,†Alison joked, “though that deal with Ipswich just went through for Oneil, which I think…means a bit more cash in the club’s coffers,†causing Richard to smile a little as he finally escaped from the clutches of Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital.

“Not only that, but your scout came back with another player for you to look at. If you come back to Bramall Lane, I’ve left the report in your office,†Alison added, before sarcastically asking, “Why did you take your mobile with you, Rich? I’m sure it would’ve had much more use at home.â€

“Don’t you worry, Alison,†Richard icily replied, “I’ll be at Bramall Lane in 3 minutes,†before pressing the red button on the phone to end his call. The thoughts of a drunkard’s rampage upon his life subsided with his mind, as he was now back to doing the only thing he seemed to be able to do – be the manager of Sheffield United.

Richard had decided to hold off any negotiations with the reported player’s club until the next day, still trying to figure out whether or not he should ask for a permanent deal or a temporary one for him. The player in question went by the name of Nathan Green, a 22-year old English fullback. Like the loaned out Martin Djorkaeff, Richard noted that the Englishman could play on the left and right of the pitch equally well.

However, with only £3,550,000 in the transfer fund, and the value of Nathan being significantly higher than the three players Richard and Hecham had spoken about at Café Euro, the chances of a permanent deal were likely to be slim, especially if his club wanted over £3,000,000 for him - the club in question being Glasgow Celtic.

Glasgow Celtic, according to the research Richard had done on the club, was one of the two dominant clubs in the Scottish Premier League and had been the most successful Scottish side, having won 41 SPL titles.

‘Unbelievable…’ Richard thought to himself, ‘no club in England has ever managed to do that…I think…’ before taking a quick look on the internet on his newly purchased laptop to see if any English club had eclipsed the 41 league titles Celtic had managed. However, he was left disappointed, as the top English club in the title stakes was Liverpool FC, with only 18 titles.

Deciding that a temporary deal was in order, Richard carefully put the number on the report into the club phone, expecting nothing from the Glasgow Celtic manager. “This is Richard Thomas, manager of Sheffield United,†the young manager instantly said, willing to let the Celtic manager know who he was.

“Ryan McRitchie speaking,†replied the Scottish club’s manager. Ryan definitely sounded Scottish to Richard, but the fact that there was a hint of snobbery in the Celtic manager’s tone of voice told Richard that negotiations for this player were going to be less than cheery.

“I am interested in taking one of your players on loan,†Richard stated, “Nathan Green,†ensuring that Ryan knew exactly which player the Sheffield United manager was interested in. Eventually, a snobbish sigh could be heard from the Scotland end of the phone.

“I’m afraid I cannot do that, Mr. Thomas,†Ryan replied in his snobbish tone, after a couple of minutes of thought. “You see, I have Nathan right here with me, and he has no intention of joining your backwater club,†the Celtic manager explained, “you’ve only just been promoted to the Premiership, and you’re most likely going to go straight back down!â€

However, unlike most managers, who would defend their corner, and vow they were going to stay up, Richard simply sighed, replying in his usual icy tone: “Say what you want, Ryan,†before deciding that putting the phone down was probably the best course of action in this situation.

“One moment, Mr. Thomas,†Ryan exclaimed, “maybe if you were to get to Europe at the end of this season…then maybe I’ll discuss a deal with you – for a player of your choice. But of course, that won’t happen. Like I said – Sheffield United will be playing Championship football next season!!!â€

Placing the phone down, Richard instantly sighed. ‘Apparently Ryan has been reading too much into the media predictions,’ he thought to himself, ‘Though I dearly hope that he eats his words at the end of this season…’

“Alison…send Ian a message to Matthew Purvis and Luke Cooke – I want to see them both in my office,†Richard requested, poking his head out of his office door. His secretary obliged without question, beginning the long and arduous trek to the pitch.

Richard, settling back into his seat, took another look at the two reports he had laid out on the table. According to the coaches and his assistant manager, Luke Cooke was by far the best right winger in the squad, despite being only 17. Matthew Purvis, on the other hand, was a very capable striker, but not good enough to challenge for a first-team place – yet. Like Luke, the young striker was 17 – with plenty of time to improve.

However, a knock at the office door unsettled Richard, pushing all of those thoughts to the back of his mind. Again, he thought back to the dream he had at the hospital two days prior. Thankfully, it was only Alison, his secretary, who had another report to give to the young manager. This time, however, it wasn’t one from the Under 18’s folder – that was locked in the filing cabinet. Instead, this report came from his Beninese scout, Hecham Dielna – he had come up with the goods again.

“Thank you, Alison,†Richard exclaimed, accepting the report from the blonde haired woman. A close look at the report showed that Sheffield United’s head scout had been going all across Europe to find future stars for the club. The youngster went by the name of Jeroen Mulder, who was a 17-year old striker. However, it appeared that he could play as a right winger, left winger or a central attacking midfielder just as easily. According to the report, Jeroen was worth £1,000,000.

At the moment, Mulder seemed to be playing for an Eredivisie side – Sparta Rotterdam. Knowing that Matthew and Luke would be some time making their way up the stairs, Richard pulled out his laptop to take a look at the Sparta Rotterdam team. A glance through the internet sites showed that Sparta Rotterdam (Sparta, for short) had won 6 Holland League titles. However, none of those happened in the past ten years, with their last title coming in 1959.

Two different knocks at the door notified Richard that Luke and Matthew were behind the office door. Hastily, he placed Jeroen’s report underneath those of the two Under 18’s squad members, and placed his laptop on the ground, away from prying eyes – he didn’t want anyone to know how far he was willing to go to ensure success at Bramall Lane.

As the door opened, the two youngsters strode in nervously, unsure as to whether they were to be promoted to the senior team or be on their way out of Bramall Lane altogether. Luke, the taller of the two, looked out of the window with his calm blue eyes, with a faint reflection appearing in the glass, showing a crop of messy black hair.

Matthew, on the other hand, simply took one of the two seats on offer, pushing away rebellious strands of ginger hair that covered his ears. “What’s up, boss?†the striker asked nervously, looking beyond Richard’s face towards an uninteresting spot on wall – his brown eyes becoming the embodiment of fear.

“Don’t you two worry,†Richard assured, as Luke finally sat down at the other seat. “Despite what you seem to believe, Matthew,†the manager began, watching whilst Matthew finally calmed down to the situation, “I have no intention of placing either of you on the transfer list. According to everyone here at Bramall Lane, you two have the ability to go extremely far with the club.â€

Luke instantly straightened up, realising what was about to materialise from this conversation. “You aren’t seriously going to put us in the senior team, are you?†the youngster asked, his face quivering with excitement.

“That I am, Luke,†Richard admitted, which gave the two English boys no end of joy. They could make their debut for Sheffield United in the Premiership. “I have some other things that I need to deal with, so you may return to training,†the manager stated, sending them both out of his office.

Once both teenagers were out of sight, Richard punched in the Sparta Rotterdam number, which was very different to those of many of the clubs he had negotiated with. Of course, the young manager put that down to being due to the club being in Holland, rather than Scotland or England.

“Het hallo, dit is Justin Beltman spreken. Hoe zal ik u misschien helpen?†the Holland club’s manager asked, which confused Richard greatly. He had no idea that he would need to know how to speak Dutch to be able to negotiate with the Sparta manager.

“Excuse me? I’m sorry…Justin, is it? I don’t speak Dutch,†Richard replied, “My name is Richard Thomas. I am the manager of Sheffield United.†Eventually, he thought, ‘At least I think it’s Dutch. This may be a fruitless attempt - he probably doesn’t even understand what I’m saying…’

“Ah! Ik zie. James! Krijg over hier! Een Engelsman noemde Richard is Thomas op de lijn!†Justin replied, before a very different voice could be heard on the other end of the phone line. Richard thought, ‘Maybe this is a translator? If so…thank god…’

“Hello, Mr. Thomas,†the translator stated, “I’m James, an English translator for Sparta Rotterdam. My apologies for the confusion,†to which Richard sighed a breath of relief – maybe this negotiation wasn’t going to be as hard as he had first thought.

“Tell your manager that I am interested in Jeroen Mulder. I would like to pay £1,500,000 for his services,†Richard stated, before a flurry of Dutch was relayed to the Sparta Rotterdam manager. ‘It’s all double dutch to me…’ the Sheffield United manager thought, struggling to figure out exactly what the two men were saying. However, his attempts were in vain, as usual.

“Well, that isn’t a problem, Mr. Thomas,†James admitted, “Jeroen will be coming to your club within the next couple of days. Where is he to meet you? Bramall Lane, I presume?†the translator asked, having probably done some quick research into Sheffield United, just like Richard had done for Sparta Rotterdam.

“Yes. Thank you,†Richard stated, before putting down the phone. Instantly, the young manager thought, ‘If this conversation has taught me anything…I really need to learn other languages. Fast. Who knows where Hecham will go next?’

There appeared to never be a dull moment for Richard at the moment – Hecham had decided, in his wisdom, to send two reports back to Bramall Lane the day after sending one from Holland. “These two are from Premiership clubs, Mr. Thomas,†Hecham stated during a rare phone call between scout and manager.

“Yesterday’s report came from Holland, Hecham…do you have associates that scout everybody and his dog?†Richard asked icily, looking closely at the first report. The picture showed a young, blonde haired boy with silvery eyes and a small scar just above his left eye-brow. ‘Training accident, I think…’ Richard thought, unwilling to think that the Beninese scout would send him reports on convicted criminals.

The youngster, according to the report, was a capable left winger who went by the name of Gary Welch. At 16 years old, he wouldn’t be able to sign a professional contract until his 17th birthday. However, with no first-team left wingers on the club’s record, Richard felt that having a young and capable left winger was better than having an older, less capable substitute. Unlike most of the players he had looked at, who were English in nationality, Gary Welch was Irish.

The second report showed a rather more experienced player wearing a Charlton Athletic shirt. The facial features seemed unimportant to Richard for this player, as it was apparent that he was Swedish, and would stand out like a sore thumb regardless. At 30, Johann Oddson would be one of the older members of the squad. Just like Martin Djorkaeff and Nathan Green, Johann was a good right back and left back.

“Well, Mr. Thomas. I am trickling reports to you day by day, to make sure you’re not demoralising your current squad,†Hecham replied in his thick African accent. Finally, Richard understood what the Beninese scout meant – after all, he had said exactly the same thing during their meeting at Café Euro…

“Anyway, these three will do nicely for now,†Richard stated, “I think making offers for more than 3 players at once would be stupid,†to which Hecham merely nodded. Making too many signings in a short space of time would be demoralising to the rest of the squad.

“Thank you, Hecham,†Richard answered, before putting the phone down on its holder. It was clear that both Gary and Johann could easily fit into his plans at Sheffield United. Gary, being only 16, was worth very little - £150,000. Johann, on the other hand, despite his age, was worth £1,000,000. If he were to complete all of the deals he had made with Jeroen Mulder, Andy Ellis and Darryl Elcock, the chances of being able to get both the Irish winger and the Swedish defender were slim.

However, his train of thought was once again disturbed, when the phone decided to start ringing again. Picking up the phone, Richard asked, “Hello? Who is this?†struggling to comprehend why anyone would call him, especially since his players on the transfer list had attracted little to no interest.

“Mr. Thomas…nice to be speaking to you again,†a male voice replied with a heavy African accent – one that Richard had heard before. However, it wasn’t Hecham with another scouted player – it was Na’im Elcock.

“Anyway, just figured I’d tell you that your deal is by far the worst ever deal for young Darryl. My son will be in a Fulham shirt tomorrow,†Na’im stated, toying with Richard, “so anything you try will be in vain, young man.â€

“That’s fine with me, Elcock. However, I hope he can accept defeat, especially as that is what I’ll be heaving onto Fulham at least once this season,†Richard stated, betting that Sheffield United would defeat Fulham, whether it be at Bramall Lane or Craven Cottage. Na’im declined to answer, throwing down the phone in disgust.

“That should deal with that little problem,†Richard exclaimed to himself, thoroughly proud that he had beaten Na’im in a battle of wits. ‘To be honest, that wouldn’t have been hard anyway – I don’t think he has two brain cells to rub together!’ the young manager thought, letting a small laugh escape from his lips.

“Now…to deal with the Southerners…†Richard stated, ready to begin discussing prices for Gary Welch and Johann Oddson. With Darryl declining Sheffield United’s offer, the deal with Gary had to lead to him being signed up.

If not…the club’s hopes, and possibly Richard’s job, could go up in smoke.

ELCOCK SNUBS BLADES FOR COTTAGERS

Trinidad and Tobago youngster Darryl Elcock has completed a move from Dundee United to Fulham. The left winger has reportedly moved from the Scottish club for £300,000, and was shown in his new Fulham shirt to waiting press reporters.

During the press conference, Darryl had nothing but praise for his new club: “I’m sure this move will lead to me becoming a superb player along the left wing. I believe that Gareth (Parker) is a brilliant manager, and will give me a chance to play for the club with pride.â€

The Fulham manager, Gareth Parker, believed that Darryl was ready to make a step forward in his career: “Darryl is a sensational new talent, and I am glad that we have been able to sign him. With our support, he could become a world-beating left winger.â€

However, Darryl had also snubbed a contract with Sheffield United, as according to their manager, Richard Thomas, the youngster’s agent wanted the Trinidad and Tobago player to join Fulham. Shortly after the press conference, Richard had this to say: “Kudos to Darryl for completing this move, but I feel that his father and agent, Na’im (Elcock), had a major hand in his son’s decision. From the negotiations we had with Darryl, it was clear that his father didn’t want him to move to Sheffield.â€

‘A little controversy always makes a football season go much quicker,’ Richard thought to himself, reading the small report in the newspaper. He was almost expecting Na’im to call him again, but decided that dealing with his own players was higher up on his list of priorities than picking a fight with a jumped-up moron.

He was finally back on the Bramall Lane pitch, watching the mesmerising abilities of his players. ‘Well, they’re not mesmerising yet. Though I guess that’ll all change when we get to the start of the season,’ the young manager thought to himself. It was a good day for training, with a cloudless blue sky, and a radiant sun. Richard’s mood appeared to match the weather, for the first time in years - he seemed buoyant.

“Richard! Good news!†Alison exclaimed as she ran over to the pitch, holding two notes in her hands. The young manager, happier than he had been for some time, still acted icily cool towards his secretary, wondering how there could be any news greater than the way he was feeling.

“Well, sort of good news. John Graham accepted your £1,500,000 offer for Johann Oddson. However, Shaun Clarke is still discussing whether or not they should accept that £250,000 offer you made for him. They seem to think that he could be star for the future,†Alison stated, reading each of the notes in turn.

‘Of course Gary is going to be a star for the future…I know Shaun is 60 this year, but seriously, even a man like him can see the potential in that Irish kid. If he’s like this during the league matches, I can see Sheffield United winning at Bramall Lane and Fratton Park…’ Richard thought to himself – he seemed to become slightly disheartened by the fact that Shaun Clarke was acting like a total idiot.

“Richard!†Dean Fortune called out, disrupting the young manager’s demoralising train of thought. “There’s a kid here who wants to see you. Should I kick him out?†the midfielder continued, unaware that the kid he had taken by the scruff of the neck was in fact Andy Ellis – one of the most capable young strikers Richard had ever laid eyes upon.

“Dean, leave him be. I agreed to this meeting,†Richard stated, leading the English midfielder to believe that the youngster held in his left hand was in fact to become a Sheffield United player. Gently releasing Andy, Dean whispered into the youngster’s ear, “Sorry about that.â€

“Don’t worry about it,†Andy answered nervously, still scared by the thought of being around this team for the season ahead. However, the youngster walked over to Richard, before bowing slightly. “I am Andrew James Ellis,†the youngster stated apprehensively, “I’m here to discuss a contract with you.â€

Richard finally noticed what John Sinclair had told him during their phone call – Andy was scared to death of the prospect of becoming part of any football team. “Don’t worry, Andy,†Richard assured, leading the youngster into the tunnel, “I know about what happened to your family. You won’t believe me, but I have suffered exactly what you have suffered.â€

“Seriously? Have you lost your parents?†Andy asked, his mood becoming slightly less nervous and more inquisitive. However, Richard could see apprehension in the young Englishman’s eyes – apprehension that he had not seen since waking up from his coma, nearly 3 years ago.

Richard simply nodded, before the conversation became eerily silent for the remainder of the journey to the board room. Upon arrival, Daniel was still there, discussing important matters with Danny Lee. ‘If the state of the Bramall Lane toilets has become an important club matter, then we’re all screwed,’ Richard thought, hearing the vital discussion.

The chairman, finally noticing Richard at the door, ushered the manager and the Blade-to-be into the board room. “Another signing, I assume, Richard? I dearly hope that these discussions won’t be as heated as they were with that African Idol reject,†Daniel asked, to which Richard nodded, thankful that even the chairman had been royally riled by Na’im Elcock.

“Andy, how much would you like?†Richard asked, almost willing to be gentle with the young player. He wasn’t going to risk damaging Andy’s mourning spirit for the sake of a deal with Sheffield United. Nothing was worth more than family.

“I just want to play football, Mr. Thomas,†Andy replied, still shaking. “Whatever you want to pay me, I will agree to,†the youngster added, causing a small discussion between the board and the manager. It had become clear to Richard that the board were going to try to get Andy to sign an agreement that meant he would play for free.

“If all he wants to do is play football, then it’s clear we can capitalise on this,†Daniel whispered to Richard, seeing the financial benefits of not having fork out a wage. On the other hand, Richard felt that having Andy sign a contract with no wage to pick up at the end of the week was nothing short of the board abusing their power.

Going against the board, Richard stated, “We’ll give you a contract with a weekly wage of £1,300. The usual bonuses will apply, as always. Do you accept?†- Much to the disappointment of the board. Andy, as he said he would do, agreed to the deal, nodding his head.

“Well, that settles everything,†the chairman stated, appearing to be glad at the new deal – however, inside he felt this was a missed opportunity. As a man of finance, cutting costs to earn good profits was by far his main priority. However, the fact that a high position in the Premiership would give them exactly that – a substantial profit.

Andy, however, appeared to realise that something was terribly amiss with his current situation. “Um…may I return to Dundee to pick up my things, Mr. Thomas?†he asked, struggling to figure out the problem that he had with going back to his club. Eventually, he figured out the problem, adding, “Although…I guess I won’t be getting it back. Andy and Joe have it now…â€

“Your things were stolen from you…who by? Who would do such a thing?†Richard asked, genuinely worried that the newest Sheffield United recruit had already been mugged before his career as a Blade had even begun. However, Andy seemed apprehensively nonchalant about the situation, waiting for the contract to be shoved in front of his face to sign.

“Don’t worry, Mr. Thomas. I guess I have to tell you though…†Andy replied, pausing slightly afterwards for dramatic effect – an effect that was lost on everyone in the room. “Two of my team-mates at Dundee United, Andy Fulton and Joe McCallum, have been jealous of the fact that I’m supposedly a better player than either of them will ever be. I think, in their wisdom, they stole my things to make sure I would be alone,†the youngster explained, before tears began to leak from his eyes.

Alison, who had been listening in on the conversation, decided that it was in her interests to stride into the board room, her hands placed firmly onto her waist. It was clear to Richard that she was by no means impressed in what Joe and Andy had done to their new recruit. “Richard! Do something! You’re going to go with him to get his things back, aren’t you?†she yelled, causing the remaining people in the room to stare at her in awe.

Richard, however, simply shook his head, a smirk appearing on his face. Eventually, after taking a long look at his secretary, the young manager replied, “No, Alison. I’m not. It seems pretty clear to me that you should go and help Andy. You leave tomorrow, understand?â€

A simple nod was all Alison could give – Richard’s argument made perfect sense to her. ‘With him as manager, this is all I can do,’ she thought to herself, before finally being able to utter any form of speech whatsoever. Nodding again, she loyally exclaimed: “Yes sir!â€

“Make sure he returns with his things, Alison,†Richard requested to his secretary, early the next day. The young manager had decided that both Alison and Andy would take the train to Dundee. Despite the journey being likely to take five and a half hours, it would be much quicker than driving all the way from Sheffield to Dundee.

Richard had informed both his secretary and his new player of the route that they would have to take. From Sheffield, the two would have to catch a train to York. At York, they would need to change to a train heading for Edinburgh. Once at Edinburgh, Alison and Andy would change trains again, this time to reach their intended destination – Dundee.

“Good luck while I’m gone, Rich,†Alison joked, quickly kissing the young manager on the cheek before she led Andy to the train that would take them on the first leg of their journey. ‘I hope he doesn’t fire me for that…’ Alison thought to herself, feeling slightly embarrassed, as she and Andy finally boarded the 07:54 train.

Once the train had finally left, Richard wiped away any potential lipstick from his check, before leaving the station to get back to Bramall Lane. Just as the train had left, the chairman, Daniel Butterworth, had sent him a message that Jeroen Mulder had turned up at the stadium.

‘Please let there be no translator,’ Richard thought to himself as he pulled up outside of Bramall Lane, wondering whether the Dutch youngster was more fluent in the English language than his boss. Thankfully, as he entered the reception area, he heard a Dutch accent in full flow – speaking in English.

“Is that him?†Jeroen asked to the other two men standing next to him – the board. Both nodded simultaneously, resulting in the Dutch youngster striding over to Richard, hand outstretched in gratitude that he had finally met the man who seemed to have faith in his abilities.

“Thank you for having me, Mr. Thomas. I’m sorry for my poor English,†Jeroen stated in his typical Dutch accent. As he accepted the youngster’s hand-shake, Richard beckoned for them to head up to the top floor of the stadium – where Jeroen’s fate would finally be decided.

“Don’t worry about your knowledge of the English language, Jeroen. There are some people in England that can’t speak their native tongue,†Richard assured, causing Jeroen to become so laid-back that he could fall over. Apparently, the thought of his English being relatively good was extremely pleasing to him.

After several minutes of walking, the board room finally came into view. It had been the tenth time Richard had stepped within the walls of that room in his career, resulting in Richard thinking, ‘The sooner the transfer window ends, the better – I can’t stand being in this office any more times…’

Upon entry, Daniel instantly asked, “What kind of deal can we do for you, son?†trying to make the sure the young Dutchman felt welcomed within the walls of Bramall Lane. However, his attempts fell on deaf ears, as it was apparent that Jeroen was only willing to be friendly towards one man – Richard Thomas.

“I know you are chairman of club, but I want to speak with Thomas on contract,†Jeroen harshly stated, despite his knowledge of the English language showing major cracks. The chairman, finally realising that Richard would be able to handle things better than him, simply looked over to the young manager.

Richard, having heard exactly what Jeroen had said, shook his head to the chairman. It was pretty clear to the young manager that the Dutchman seemed indebted to him for giving him a chance in the biggest league in Europe – The English Premier League. Eventually, he asked Jeroen, “How much do you want to be paid, Jeroen?†wanting to get the proceedings out of the way.

“Well, I would like €2000 a week, if you would,†Jeroen answered, causing confusion. As the UK had decided against using the Euro in favour of the pound, none of the Sheffield United staff within the board room had any idea as to how much €2000 was in pounds sterling.

“Uh…†Richard began, still slightly confused as to the Pound to Euro exchange rate. Eventually, the young manager decided on the price that seemed to be worthwhile for a young player in the Premier League. “I can offer you £1,600 a week, Jeroen,†he proposed, resulting in the youngster becoming confused.

“Is that what I asked in your currency, Mr. Thomas?†Jeroen asked, wondering whether he was being played for a fool. Richard, having no clue whether or not it actually was more than what the Dutch youngster had asked, simply nodded.

“Thank you very much!†the youngster exclaimed, picking up a pen from his pocket. He had come prepared to sign a contract for Sheffield United, it appeared. ‘Sparta Rotterdam will regret this,’ Jeroen thought, before asking, “Where do I sign?â€

Archived