Let's talk contracts...

So, how do you go about signing or renewing your players contracts?

Me - I tend to give them a basic wage and that's it. No bonuses on offer, no minimum release fee (depending on who I'm managing). I try and cut theirs and their agents fees too. Won't pay over the odds signing on fees, no way. 

How do you go about yours?

I tend to give them what they want (dependant on how I'm feeling & how important the players are).

I also try giving them as long a contract as possible.

At the start of the game I won't sign anyone 30 years-old or over & as time goes by I try to reduce that age limit even more, that way I should always be able to recoup my money or more as I very rarely have any players that retire due to age.

So when renewing contracts, they get the maximum time available or to what takes them to 30 years-old.

It also means I shouldn't have to renew contracts so much & that should reduce the amount of signing on bonuses I have to pay out.

Yeah I don't sign many older players neither. Don't know why, just never have. (Not unless it's an outrageous player who wants next to nothing in wages etc). 

I don't give % increases neither. I think I'm pretty harsh at contract negotiations. Missed out on a few players but want them here to play rather then the money. 

Do the bonus offers make any difference to a players performance?  I know if you offer the "team bonus" as low they can get disgruntled. But not sure on the actual contract side. 

Is there a plus side to only offering basic pay rather then bonuses? Anyone know?

I use bonuses all the time to cut down player wages. For example, I always add goal bonus to defenders (won't score many anyway) or team of the year/winning champions league/winning premier league bonus, because if they get them, they probably played well enough to deserve some extra money and it may give them some extra motivation to get it aswell.

Adding loyalty bonuses to players you desperately want to keep is another way to cut down wage demands significantly, because you don't have to pay them out if the player himself requests a transfer.

But there are also bonuses which I don't like or never use and purposely remove from contracts like "year wage rise", "unused sub fee" etc.

Theoretically, if a substantial amount of a player's wage comes from variable rewards, i.e. bonuses, they should be more willing to make a move to another club when they're not in your plans anymore and playing less often. At the very least they're costing you less in that circumstance.

I try to find a balance between wage and bonuses. I will agree to yearly % increase or a sell on fee if the player is a key player and he wont appear to accept a contract without it. I negotiate a year before contract expiry unless the player is 29+ in which case (some key players I may keep longer) I try to agree a deal with another club to sell them at the end of the season. I always lock the player role and with youngsters I add the optional one year extension by the club.

Archived