4-3-3 Wide with Sunderland

Struggling with Sunderland  

Play with a standard mentality and a structured team shape. 

Pickford - G (Defend)

Van Aanholt - FB (Support)

Djilobodji - CD (Defend)

Van Aanholt - CD (Defend)

Manquillo - FB (Support)

N'dong - BWM (Defend) (left central midfield)

Rodwell - BBM (Support) 

Kirchhoff - CM (Defend) (right central midfield)

Khazri - IF (Support) (left wing)

Januzaj - IF (Support) (right wing)

Defoe - AF (Attack)

Team instructions:

Higher tempo, Retain Possession and Play out of defence. 

Can anyone see anything wrong with these tactics? Every game is men against boys  

21 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

Can anyone see anything wrong with these tactics? Every game is men against boys  

Well it is Sunderland players...  are they really capable of playing how you've asked?

50/50 risk but Structured so the deeper players will be a bit safer and the advanced a bit more attacking.  Retain Possession will make them pass to feet, reducing penetration to keep possession for longer which will allow defences to get organized.  How then will those players break open an organized defence?  You'll lack width (2xFB-S + 2xIF-S) and creativity to do something different (no playmakers + structured).

36 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

Struggling with Sunderland  

Play with a standard mentality and a structured team shape. 

Pickford - G (Defend)

Van Aanholt - FB (Support)

Djilobodji - CD (Defend)

Van Aanholt - CD (Defend)

Manquillo - FB (Support)

N'dong - BWM (Defend) (left central midfield)

Rodwell - BBM (Support) 

Kirchhoff - CM (Defend) (right central midfield)

Khazri - IF (Support) (left wing)

Januzaj - IF (Support) (right wing)

Defoe - AF (Attack)

Team instructions:

Higher tempo, Retain Possession and Play out of defence. 

Only things I can see are, Ndong would make a better BBM than Rodwell who would be better as a DLP or BWM Kirchoff is better as a DM but Sunderlands midfield is poor and injury prone so hard to juggle that about. As Summatsupeer said you have little width and no playmaker. You also have a lot of support and defend mentalities and only one attack. Personally I would change Ndong and Rodwell about and have Rodwell as a DLP, change PVA to A WB(A) as he is as useful as a chocolate fireguard in defense anyway. Leave Khazri as IF support but have Jauzaj as either W(A) or IF(A) to give you options on the other side for attacking. This was PVA would bomb on upfield giving you an option out wide on the left Khazri would drift in with Defoe and Januzaj on the other side. N'Dong as a BBM gives him the opportunity for long shots from time to time and he has some success there whereas the rest of our midfield are not likely to score more than 1 fluke a season so having him lurking on the edge of the box is better than Rodwell. Playing out of defence isnt the best idea either, our CB's are surprisingly good in FM but like real life prone to a howler alarmingly often (Looking at you Djilobodji) so the less time on the ball the better for those chaps, Maquillo and PVA are better so if you want to build from the back best to tell Pickford to distribute it to WB's.

Only my preference here but I think 4-3-3 does not suit Sunderland, we have decent wide players like PVA, Januzaj and Khazri and poor and injury prone center midfielders so I prefer a 4-4-2 or similar to make the most of the width and not rely too heavily on Rodwell (injury prone) Kirchoff (injury prone) and Cattermole (surprisingly injury prone for me on my last save and liable to get sent off) and Defoe is brilliant like IRL and will score from seemingly impossible chances but like IRL he would be best served with a bit of backup helping him up, Anichebe is not great in game but he is great for getting Defoe some space and if he is unavailable Khazri as a SS behind him is quite useful and can give Defoe a few more chances

Before you pick TI's you should read the description.

Read the description for 'higher tempo', then read the description for 'retain possession' ... then revaluate if you want to use both of these instructions together.

you have chosen what I'd classify as a 'middling tactic' neither defensive nor attacking. Sunderland don't strike me as a middling squad.. so question your philosophy of how you want to play and how you think you can get success.

Couple of examples of the extremes...

You might want to defend deeper with low mentality to be solid at the back ... using mentality of defensive/counter. TIs like lower tempo, short passing ... to really bring the AI out leaving space for a BBM and Defoe and maybe a winger to exploit on the counter.

Or you can go Stoke of a few years ago... attacking, direct, high tempo, clear ball to flanks ... get wingers putting the ball in. you can still use a solid base with a 424 where the 2 are DMs (as you will be bypassing the cm strata in attack anyway with direct play)  

46 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Read the description for 'higher tempo', then read the description for 'retain possession' ... then revaluate if you want to use both of these instructions together.

I read in one of the many guides that short passing + retain possession + higher tempo could result in a quick one-touch passing game. I assume you would still need to have the right players to pull it off as I haven't quite found it on my Wrexham save...though it is still doing fairly well.

15 hours ago, Jorsin said:

I read in one of the many guides that short passing + retain possession + higher tempo could result in a quick one-touch passing game. I assume you would still need to have the right players to pull it off as I haven't quite found it on my Wrexham save...though it is still doing fairly well.

Wrexham.. Sunderland... probably not. Maybe with the best players it could achieve something like that. If I was Barcelona though and my players have vision passing decision making etc, I probably wouldn't overload them with TI/PI because the players will make the right choices of when to up the intensity and when to pass short or go direct.

Archived