I play a 4-2-3-1 wide. I set my defensive line to drop deeper, so I'm not sure why I still keep getting beat over the top by long balls. My mentality is standard, both fullbacks automatic and defenders set on defend. Do I need to make one of them cover? Also, Danilo, my right back, keeps getting burned on through balls even though I tell him to mark tighter and mark specifically. I do the same for Luke Shaw, my left back, and Rugani, my center back. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated!

your CBs are always tight marking AND closing down forwards, AMs, all of them.  Your O.Is are overkill and you add T.I of Tight Marking. Balls over top will beat you as you have no covering centre backs.  Remove the O.I's and play a few games.  See how that goes.  Also doesnt help BPDs are a tad more agressive.

23 hours ago, Lordluap said:

your CBs are always tight marking AND closing down forwards, AMs, all of them.  Your O.Is are overkill and you add T.I of Tight Marking. Balls over top will beat you as you have no covering centre backs.  Remove the O.I's and play a few games.  See how that goes.  Also doesnt help BPDs are a tad more agressive.

Are you saying I shouldn't have any OI or just fewer?

Seriously just drop every single OI you have selected. And I mean all of them!

Then judge your tactic after another couple of games. If you are still being destroyed by through balls then, OK we may need to consider tweaking elsewhere. Its just at the moment with a deeper D-Line but the rest of the side pressing higher up the pitch, as soon as a defender steps up to close down or tight mark someone in the hole, there is gonna be a massive space available to be exploited.

I'm not saying the OI's are definitely the problem but they do complicate tactical structures. Tick them all off so we can at least eliminate from our enquiries and then  we can judge if its the system you are playing or the actual players themselves.

13 hours ago, Ben Levin said:

Are you saying I shouldn't have any OI or just fewer?

Put it this way, the only OIs I use as standard are tight marking on opposition AMR and AML. Everything else is fame and opposition dependent.

if u have a low block and then ask your player to mark tight and close down it's easy to see them go out of position creating a gap in the center line.

If u want to do something like this you need them to stay compact, if your block is too low your could try to set you defence line a little bit higher and  asking you midfielder to mark tight and maybe close down more to don't give space on your final third, but this dipend on your structure and mentality.

You have to know the differences between:

the low-medium-high block

Here an high block example.

HIgh defensive line.

Linea di confronto is the confrontation line, where players start to close down.

Then you have the defensive line, but here you you will have also the "moderation" line.

It means what your defenders will do when you loose the ball.

High moderation line they will come back, drop depeer to reorganize them self while in a low moderation line they will try to close space and so on.

So for example what wil happen in a high defensive block telling you players to stay deeper and don't close down? they will give space and they will be in confusion i think, because from one hand to ask them to close down and in the other hand u ask them to stay deeper, so the balance is important and to balance  your defence you need to see your match.

You have to think who have to close down the attacker and who has to regain hi position.

High block

blocco difensivo alto.jpg

Medium block

bloccodifensivomedio.jpg

Low block:

bloccodif_basso.jpg

And this depend also by your mentality and team structure. 

Archived