Help with 4-3-3

Hi guys,

I'm new to the game and could really use some pointers here. Here's my setup:

52aab1c128c1409484e6987420387c4f.pngba8399e456d849e7b5e1745cb3566af9.png

Now, I'm playing as an amateur team in Division 9 in the English league. Can't go lower than that. ;-) And generally speaking I'm doing pretty well, currently sitting in 2nd position in the league in Dec of my first season.

However, I've got a few problems with my attacking formation. The main problem is that the IF mostly stay stuck outside and don't run into the box. Lewin, who's currently set as DLF to keep him further back is the star of the team. He's our main scorer and saved many days so far. But he's really more of a Poacher and can't get into the role as a DLF. Also, his passing is crap too...

d790b2e03e174820a68610eea32e4758.png

However, if I set him as Poacher he's up there alone with no real support. The flanks just stay out there and are more wingers than IF, and the midfield don't know what to do, shoving the ball back and forth at the back, occasionally passing to the IF, but they never dribble or pass forward.

I'm doing very well on counters, as my Striker is super fast compared to the opponents defenders.

What could I change so the IFs actually run into the box and the midfielders pass the ball forward? As it's set right now my DLF gets the ball but doesn't know what to do with it, so he passes it back to the defenders, and they don't know what to do either, so they pass it trough the lines until they either lose possession or someone just shoots the ball to the moon.

Ps: I know my players stats are horrible, but so are the oppenents. And as I'm playing in an amateur league I'm free to shop for new players the whole year, so If you guys think I should get another player let me know, it's an option. Just remember, it's Divison 9, and I've already scooped up the best passing players out there.

@Areolys

You could try ''move into channels'' for the DLF (S) so he would create a bit more space for your IF's

I would play around with tempo as well! This could be something completely wrong, but you're playing with a very high tempo. Do your players have the necessary skills to cope with that and be in the right place in the right time? If you would lower the tempo, your players will get a bit more time to move into the box when needed. Just a guess :onmehead:

2 hours ago, Frank27 said:

Going for a flexible team shape and giving your CMR an attack duty might help out.

I did try that in the past already, but it didn't really help :-/

1 hour ago, jorgvandervloed said:

@Areolys

You could try ''move into channels'' for the DLF (S) so he would create a bit more space for your IF's

I would play around with tempo as well! This could be something completely wrong, but you're playing with a very high tempo. Do your players have the necessary skills to cope with that and be in the right place in the right time? If you would lower the tempo, your players will get a bit more time to move into the box when needed. Just a guess :onmehead:

Will try your suggestion and see how it goes.

About the tempo: The idea behind playing on high tempo is to tire the opponent out. This works for about 80% of the teams where their players end up with <60%, while most my guys still have lower 70s. With some teams this seemed to have worked especially well, where they held up 0:0 or even a 1-2:0 lead until 60-70 minutes, but then break down and I score 2-3 goals.
Correct me if I'm wrong there.

1 hour ago, djhagster said:

I would also play narrower and look for overlap. your FB will push on and the IF's will move more central.

Sounds interesting. I was also thinking about setting them as WBs, but after I've checked out some top teams formation I figured they all play with FBs, since their defense is in a straight line on the squad screen.

1 hour ago, Overmars said:

I would select a tactic where you could use your best player in his best role. Any of the 2-striker formations should enable you to do this, or at the very least you could use an AP directly behind your striker.

It would probably be the smartest choice since my most talented players are strikers. However, I was really hoping I could get it to work with a 433 formation. Especially since I hope to get promoted back-to-back, so keeping a working system seems to be better than to constantly switch things around to cater the currently best player that will be the worst one within 1-2 seasons. When I started out Max Packham was the Star of the team, and now he's only got half a star left. I keep him in the team mostly because his free kick is 16 and corners are 14.

Update

Tried most of your suggestions, moved players to different positions and roles. The best I could do was putting Lewis to the left IF position with the individual rule set to stay inside, in combination with making the whole play more narrow. No luck.

I just come back from a very important game at the end of the season that we lost. I ended up losing 3-1.

I don't understand what the problem is. Even the striker passes the ball back! He just had to turn around and shoot. Other times players on attack run back with the ball from box to box. Maybe it's just because they're so terrible that they don't even understand the rules of the game...

Yet, the media always predicts us to win with ease. Even in the cup where we played the number 1 from division 8 Yeah (we're division 9), we lost 0-2 and played decent. What's up with that?!

Edit: I added the last game as an attachment if anyone wants to have a look at it. :brock: The one goal we scored is a typical goal for us. Once Lewis is past he scores 95% of the time.

Fairwarp II v Keymer & Hassocks.pkm

@Areolys

players in division 9 probably have worse stamina than my grandma so that could be the reason as well. It does seem to work later in the game because your opponents players aren't able to track back anymore as they are too tired probably. 

I'm not sure if your striker is getting enough support from midfield with the high tempo you're using. Tempo in an indicator of how fast they move the ball up the pitch. Low tempo; Barcelona. High tempo; Dortmund (Klopp)

Because your team moves the ball forward so quickly players get less time to get in the right positions I'm guessing. The only choice your striker has is passing back towards midfield. Also, players in Division 9 probably aren't making the most intelligent runs and lack creativity to see all the options on the pitch, which might have something to do with it as well. They get less time on the ball and have to make split-second decisions which aren't the best at...

1 hour ago, jorgvandervloed said:

@Areolys

players in division 9 probably have worse stamina than my grandma so that could be the reason as well. It does seem to work later in the game because your opponents players aren't able to track back anymore as they are too tired probably. 

I'm not sure if your striker is getting enough support from midfield with the high tempo you're using. Tempo in an indicator of how fast they move the ball up the pitch. Low tempo; Barcelona. High tempo; Dortmund (Klopp)

Because your team moves the ball forward so quickly players get less time to get in the right positions I'm guessing. The only choice your striker has is passing back towards midfield. Also, players in Division 9 probably aren't making the most intelligent runs and lack creativity to see all the options on the pitch, which might have something to do with it as well. They get less time on the ball and have to make split-second decisions which aren't the best at...

I scored a lot of goals on counters, where they moved ball up front fast and Lewis could use his speed. Whenever the opponents defense is/was back in their half I got stuck and the players just couldn't get past their defense in any way. Is that influenced as well by the tempo and setting it lower would be better?

Either way, after yet another failed attempt I tried out something new by putting up 2 poachers and a DF. This currently works wonders. I've been winning the past matches and am currently 1st and could very well get that promotion :-)

49 minutes ago, Areolys said:

I scored a lot of goals on counters, where they moved ball up front fast and Lewis could use his speed. Whenever the opponents defense is/was back in their half I got stuck and the players just couldn't get past their defense in any way. Is that influenced as well by the tempo and setting it lower would be better?

Either way, after yet another failed attempt I tried out something new by putting up 2 poachers and a DF. This currently works wonders. I've been winning the past matches and am currently 1st and could very well get that promotion :-)

I would recommended reading the ''counter-attacking'' thread written by Cleon. In short, counters don't depend on the TI's you choose but on the situation on the field. When a counter is triggered all other variables as mentality, TI's are overwritten and your players will attack full force. This has nothing to do with your team playing a higher tempo. 

A lower tempo can be used to drag out your opponent and create space for your own players

Playing with three strikers makes your team less depend on support from midfield as there are already three players upfront. Something you were lacking off in your first tactic. 

Archived