Can we talk about 'transfer listing'

I feel there should be a less dramatic way to try and sell a player.

When i transfer list someone its not uncommon that the player gets upset and if his mates do too, it drives moral down in the squad. This is fine and i agree with it, however i feel there should also be a less drastic approach to selling.

Infact you very rarely see clubs IRL 'transfer list' a player, its usually obvious who is available for bids.

Take benteke, it was quite clear in the summer he was available for sale, he didnt fit klopps style and he rarely played, yet he was never 'transfer listed for liverpool. 

I think we should have an option to make a player 'open to offers' or even some underhand tactics like asking his agent to spread the word around.

Im not saying get rid of transfer listing as it has it uses but it should be a last resort and i feel we need something to bridge that gap

11 minutes ago, eriktous said:

Would the Benteke case not be simulated by setting a player's squad status to Not Needed and setting a reasonable asking price?

Yea you could be right to be fair.

Benteke was a tricky one because klopp always said he was needed and would only sell if the right offer came, which in fairness was true as liverpool turned down a bid or two from palace until their final improved one.

But yes not needed + asking price is one way off doing it, however im not sure how effective that is at putting his name out there

Agree with the OP. It's perfectly common for a club that's not flush with cash to tacitly acknowledge that if the right offer comes along, the player can go. The player will get a pay rise and go to a higher rep team and the club gets the money - win-win. Nobody should be upset by this if we're not talking about the club legend here. If the right offer doesn't come in, okay never mind both club and player know where they stand and show professionalism.

Benteke isn't a valid example, but Liverpool also poached half the Southampton squad ;-)  Before Lallana left, or Wanyama to Spurs, I don't recall any internal conflicts.

10 hours ago, Maccabist said:

For me the thing that is missing the most is that almost never other clubs make bids for players that are not transfer listed, which is very far from reality. 

Oh I have to fend off daily bids for my best players every transfer window despite making it very plain that they're not for sale. It's possibly the most irritating part of my job as manager. Fortunately there's now an option to auto-reject every offer.

Archived